Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Does it make sense to start a new thread when the book drops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

General Battuta posted:

The problem with all of this is that it's a very old conception of how social neuro works, individual-to-individual or individual-to-crowd effects, and twenty years of brutal and often depressing research suggests that Kellhus has completely overlooked the very area he needs to master - the real 'darkness that comes before', the unconscious brain subsystems that deal in primes, statistical prototypes, and preconscious framing.
Are there any good Modern Neuroscience 101 type textbooks that address these concepts? A simple Google search doesn't turn up much and also I'm lazy.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Boing posted:

I don't think it's purely a philosopher's terror - or at least, that's not what I get out of his writing. I think it's the best kind of sci-fi, which thinks about the way the future's going and makes you confront the issues that will come up in time. What is the difference, really, between mind control and a friendly chat? Both are a way for someone to influence your cognition and affect and behaviour in a direction that they want. Right now we ignore that - and yet we do have a vague sense of discomfort about the mind control exerted by advertising, by clickbait, by gamification, all of which sidestep our normal resistance mechanisms to some degree. Sure, you can't fall for it if you don't want to - but really good advertising can sidestep even that. And where is the line between that and the forms of social interaction that fall within our normal routines? Hell, I want more books that focus on this, because it's criminally underexplored, even if it's emergent from only the core principles of cognitive science.
I just realized that the last season of South Park dealt with some similar issues with sentient advertisements and such.

Anasūrimbor Cartman

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Three books of "Esmenet could be so smart and effective with some education and respect" and then we get a 'frantic' 'shrill' mom empress who can't handle a fat senator. I think Bakker said this was part of his master plan to show how hard it is to escape structural sexism but it's boring to read and I don't believe it.
I read it more as "Esmenet could have been so smart and effective..." As in, the potential was there but it was stunted by the world she was born in to, and that's not changing regardless of how capable she is.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
To each their own, I guess. I find her interesting and dynamic.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I don't understand this criticism. It's like pointing out that Lord of the Rings didn't break new ground in the field of linguistics.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Amazon says I'll get mine by July 19th :saddowns:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Book came in today. Peace out bitches

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Is the Zero-God supposed to be the same idea as the No-God?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Just a reminder for those so inclined that there is a dedicated forum @ http://www.second-apocalypse.com/ for discussing the books.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
My pet theory is that it's where the Inchoroi "broke through" into the current plane before crashing into Earwe, which explains why it stayed bright, but doesn't explain why it was ever there to begin with.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Only a few more months to TUC whee.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I've hated Kel from the jump so I've got mixed feelings about him playing such a decisive role in the finale and then biting it.

I'm curious how the next books will go. I don't see how another Ordeal could possibly be mounted. Maybe extreme divine intervention now that the gods have seen the No-God.

In my ideal world, Achamian just picks up the discarded Heron Spear and ends the No-God in the prologue and the rest of the books deal with the question of damnation without returning to the Consult well. I love the world but I'm a little tired of the sranc and the Consult; I don't know what more will come from them.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"World-building" is, obviously, a misreading of the concept of milieu. A milieu is simply a tool for story-telling, but genre fans and many genre authors immaturely think that it's a goal in itself. The height of this is the moronic desire for fiction to be an internally consistent historical document about an imaginary world.

Of course, what aesthetic value and what insight about people, society, and the world a milieu might hold are completely escapes the grasp of people who hold this a goal in itself. This is what makes it a cargo cult concept: it's imitation without understanding. Thus you get the spectacle of fanboys praising the fact that there's different currencies in a setting.
You write the way I imagine you think a smart person sounds.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

papa horny michael posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the No-God sarcophagus being the hardware component to the ship's AI, inhabiting intelligence?

It's described as a prosthesis and a tool that helps the Ark read the "code" of life, which becomes more signal and less noise with deaths (and presumably with approaching the magic 144,000 number). If anything, it sounds like it's an embodied algorithm.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Apparently a skin-spy brought him but if so I totally blanked it.

What the gently caress happened to the Dunyain kid from TGO?

Yes to the skin-spy thing. For whatever reason, when I read it I thought they were headed for Cnaiur, so Kel being in the Golden Room came out of left field to me.

The other kid is running around the North still, I think.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This writing is awful. "Her delicate face crushed into instants and flayed across an age" is just non-sensical. It's a kind of Rothfussian thing where it sounds very evocative and weighty except when you think about it for just a moment.
You've elided the preceding sentence ("Aisarinqu screams and Aisarinqu screams, again and again, not so much words as a storm of occasions,") which establishes that the character is remembering the scene like a series of disordered snapshots and not as a coherent memory. It's perfectly sensical.

SickZip posted:

Speculation:

The Womb Plague, as described by the Nonmen, doesnt make sense. What kind of bioweapon renders the survivors immortal? Either they hosed up somewhere hard and it should have been much more or less deadly then it ended being or their goal with the Womb Plague was something much different then what ended up happening.
From an author Q&A, it sounds like the Womb Plague was an unforeseen side-effect of the magic/tekne/whatever that gave the Non-Men immortality, which the Inchoroi were then able to weaponize.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Reminder that for anyone who is actually interested in discussing the book specifically, as opposed to helping a sophomoric English student hijack an already low-population thread with their tedious opinions during release week, there is a fan forum available.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Something I noticed in TUC which is maybe meaningless but whatever, apparently babies receive their souls at birth, which I guess is why you can still conceive while the No-God is swirling around but the babies will be still-born.

"Life", then, requires both a soul and a body, so I'm still holding a candle for Kellhus being "alive" despite Bakker saying he's "no baby" (presumably, his soul did not inhabit Akka's kid), and that he's "dead".
His soul is still out there and may be able to affect things
. Somewhat related, were sranc ever identified as tekne?

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 2, 2017

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Woops. Kellhus, since apparently Bakker said Ajokli cant find him/his soul..

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
He said maybe 2-3 years, but it's not clear what form the next book might take. I think he said he was toying with the idea of a book of short stories set during the Second Apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
It's not his daughter.