Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Rime posted:

I’ve read all of these books already, what now?

Read them again. Seriously, like the Malazan books or the novels of Gene Wolfe, there’s a bunch of clever twists and aspects to Bakker’s world that only become apparent on a second reading. Alternatively, he’s also written two non-fantasy novels – a ‘technothriller’ called Neuropath and another called Disciple of the Dog – but I haven’t read either and can’t really comment on whether they’re worth your time.

Also, listen to the audiobooks, they're so fuckin good. The narrators for both series are great, and I find that I process some of his writing differently when listening to it and understand n pick up on certain things I might not have when just reading normally(not that I haven't also done a couple of traditional reading rereads already, cuz it's Bakker and it's worth it, moreso than any other series I can think of).

Also, the Glossary Encyclopedia at the end of the original trilogy's last book, The Thousandfold Thought, makes for some great, interesting reading when you're in the mood for more Bakker but don't have the time to start in on the whole series again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I liked the first trilogy well enough but the first book was the best and then the Judging Eye was goddamn terrible. I haven’t tried to re-read them since I was 16-17 so I don’t know how well I’d get on w them now. Also TJE includes the line “her lips pert around some lozenge of inexplicability” so I stopped reading there.

Might catch up when the next... next book is out.

I was initially disappointed with The Judging Eye the first time I read it just because it had the whole 20 year time jump n everything, and also ended on some cliffhangers without great climaxes for some of the plotlines; but once White Luck Warrior came out and was so awesome and continued and ramped up all the plot threads n character development in such ballsy ways, it made those two books my favorites out of the whole thing.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Rime posted:

Apparently the encyclopedia in The Great Ordeal is now almost as long as the novel itself, like nearly half the physical book. :psyduck:

Oh man, that is like some dick-hardening info for me considering just how dope the first Encyclopedic Glossary was, and just how much enjoyment and heavily rewarding short-burst reading I've gotten out of it in the years since it first came out. Like that thing was the first fantasy addendum type writing to evoke the awe-inspired feelings I had as a twelve year old Tolkien fanatic reading official Middle Earth Encyclopedias and getting to find out so much more info about all the history, characters, battles and mythologies that were hinted at, mentioned in passing, or referenced in the LotR trilogy. I say bring on as much of that type of material as possible.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
^^^Man, one of the biggest things I'm jonesing to find out about the Ordeal is wtf is going to happen to all the people who start eating the dead Sranc?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Rime posted:

The Amazon summary says "consequences not even Kellhus could forsee". So probably nothing good. :ohdear:

Oh wow, I can't even begin to fathom just how hosed up and what those consequences could be when they're one of the rare, if not only, times when Kellhus fails to mastermind em. Maybe we'll be getting a new, even higher level of the good old Ultra-Bakker in this new one,

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

Just release a stand-alone encyclopaedia already, gently caress.

I think he wants to but can't because of contract reasons

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Is he a hero though? I haven't read past book 3 but on ending that I very much had the idea of him as a conniving rear end in a top hat who doesn't get what's coming to him only by virtue of his world being such a shithole you can't really imagine "good" prevailing.

He's totally not, you'd have to like intentionally misread the whole series to think that Kellhus is meant to be an actual good guy.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

he does really like to go on hilarious blog rants about how the misandrists are trying to destroy his career, though, it's something really... special.

Rant, I've only ever seen him post anything like that once on his blog and it was half-joking and making fun at the Westeros thread members too.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

A human heart posted:

Wow, that's really profound.

Why do you have such a resentment against Bakker, or even the mere existence of a thread discussing his books, which you self admittingly haven't even read?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

akulanization posted:

You really have to hand it to the OP for his excellent unintentional honeypot.

Well, there is "BLACK DEMON SEED" in the thread title too. Pendulous phalli and evil ejaculate are just how Bakker rolls

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Wheeee posted:

How can these be bad?

They're not, all it comes down to is if it's something not to your particular tastes, even though uptight nerds will try to convince you otherwise for whatever reasons they have

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Gazaar posted:

Hey guys let's eat some sranc.

Tasty.

I'd rather eat some Non Man and get that superhuman high

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Wheeee posted:

in that I wish books of its nature were more popular, but I understand why they aren't.

Is the second trilogy worth picking up next time I'm in the mood for genre?

Definitely, if anything, it's even better than the first trilogy so far; you're not going to get much of anything else that comes close to it's overall quality in the genre, and also for the very reason you already stated.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

thumper57 posted:

I think you can assume Dunyain genetics actually are screwed up - if I remember right Kellhus casually remembers learning about face muscle structure from skinned/pinned "defectives" in Ishual, his kids are all screwed up, etc. In-story they take it as "the seed is too strong" or whatever, but there may have been tons of birth defects that were killed/experimented on/whatever, and the ones we meet are just the ones whose genetic abnormalities make them superman?

There's also the possibility that the Dunyain have Non Man blood in the mix too. IIRC, regular human females couldn't bear Non Man children, but the opposite wasn't true, and there was an Anasûrimbor in ancient history that had impregnated a Non Woman.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

House Louse posted:

I still haven't begun the second series. However, I recently found that the phrase "the great ordeal" is taken from Revelation 7:14 (apparently only in the New Revised Standard Version; AV prefers "tribulation"):

Describing martyrs living and praising God upon his throne. (I'm slightly spoiled for the series; the verses immediately before descibe the sealing of the 144,000, which I know has something to do with the Bakker.) The "great ordeal" also turns up in Matthew 24: Jesus describes the end of the world and his return, and warns the disciples against false prophets:

(The "suffering" of those days is, I think, the same word in Hebrew as used for "the great ordeal".) Obviously I don't think Bakker is copying the Bible, merely using it. Point being, the meaning of "Apocalypse" isn't the end of the world, it's "revelation". In the First Apocalypse, the No-God was revealed to the world. What's coming this time around?

Oh man, you should definitely start the second series, especially since you seem to enjoy analyzing these types of things. Bakker just ups the ante on all of it and gives you so much more to speculate about. Plus, the next one is coming out soon, so why risk spoiling yourself even more before reading the other two, and deprive yourself of theorizing about it before the next volume reveals more answers.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
drat, I have to read the latest preview material from the next book. I just have an aversion to preview chapters after being such a big grrm fan and having Dance with dragons feel like I read a good chunk of it when I got it from it taking so long and reading so many preview chapters and other bullshit that would leak.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

genericnick posted:

The book itself supposedly contains a lengthy "what came before" section.

Yeah, the Judging Eye and The White Luck Warrior both have very good summaries at the beginning of each of What Came Before. They're set up and written pretty well too, so they're probably the best and easiest way to kick-start your memory for the new book. Only a couple weeks too, so pumped!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Man the whale mothers really don't mesh well with TDTCB, which is weird because I'm sure Bakker had them in mind (as ridiculous as they may be). It's kinda funny to read child Kellhus imagining a beautiful woman's arched back, or seeing adult Kellhus use his nail of heaven sex moves, when he has in fact never met or had sex with a human woman until TDTCB

I could easily imagine the Dunyain capturing both male and female humans for all types of experimentation besides that face reading stuff they did, with one specifically being dehumanizing stuff to train the lust out of young Dunyain.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Khizan posted:

I don't know if you intended to do this, but you totally just convinced me to read Prince of Nothing.

Intended or not, someone convincing you to read this series is a huge favor if you love reading, especially SF&F. Once you get into this series it just has so many varied ways that make rereading it and analyzing and theorizing about it so rewarding.

the trump tutelage posted:

I read it more as "Esmenet could have been so smart and effective..." As in, the potential was there but it was stunted by the world she was born in to, and that's not changing regardless of how capable she is.

And beyond just the restraints of the world she was born into, there's also the 20 odd years of Kellhus fuckin with her mind and motivations, dealing with her different half Dunyain children's various levels of insanity, and also her half Dunyain bro-in-law. On top of that Kellhus himself may have set up his empire to fall to ruins in his Great Ordeal's wake.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

the trump tutelage posted:

To each their own, I guess. I find her interesting and dynamic.

Same

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

General Battuta posted:

I'm reading the end of White Luck Warrior and I just realized the inchoroi are literally the aliens from Independence Day :aaaaa:

I haven't seen Independence Day in so long that I can't really remember what the aliens were like but I'm going to take a guess and say that they're not nearly phallic enough to be the inchoroi

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I got mine and goddamn, I wish I didn't have to work tomorrow it is so hard to stop myself from keeping reading and reading, this is some insanely good and horrific poo poo. I absolutely love the little sorta short stories within the bigger story of the Great Ordeal armies, how he'll randomly focus on some group within it and tell some mini epic horror battle tale to start off a chapter.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Rime posted:

I have to hold off diving into this because I'm taking an incredibly intensive training course all next week and can't afford to be distracted. :argh:

I'm about halfway through and am in a similar situation, gently caress. I've already shown up late at work once cuz of this book and not being able to put it down. Why can't this be one of those weeks where I have nothing to do MANN

Also, Ishterebinth is just so dark, so good. Pretty much straight up horror and I love it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Just got past the part where Saubon and his crew climb up on that redoubt or whatever it was and go down fighting an endless swarm of Sranc, so fuckin metal that scene was, wish it could be memorialized in a Frazzetta painting

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
drat that poo poo was dope in all the right ways. As much as I loved all the other books Bakker's upped the ante with this one. Out of all the stuff I'm still processing from this I think the Skald sticks with me the most so far, just such an insane way for poo poo to go in a big huge fantasy battle and the imagery of Kehhlus and his actions during it are just so unique, trippy and memorable for me.

One of the second best is is Malowebi's final scene with Kellhus, one of the Decapitants and Damnation. I can now see why this was Bakker's favorite new POV to write Death came swirling down in all types of new and creative ways this installment, fuckin love it

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Alfredo Pangea posted:

AGREED! also are you from Savin Hill in Dorchester? If so, what up grim dark dot rat buddy!!

Yeah, I am! Good to see a neighborhood person on here.

Alfredo Pangea posted:

It is, the video for the song savin hill is cool as it references all stuff I grew up with

Same with me, and to keep it thread relevant, the St Williams Nuns would stomp the gently caress out of those Swayali lightweights

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Boing posted:

They seem to both take place in the distant past before the First Apocalypse, so they are technically prequels, although not directly so.

The one told from the Non Man stream of consciousness POV has Conphus(yay!) make an appearance in it, so that one could be considered more of a direct prequel I guess, although it is probably one of the weirdest prequels ever

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

various cheeses posted:

Are these out already?

As far as I know, there's just the two short stories he has up on his website and the one that was published in Grimdark Magazine.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
lol at acting like a "overarching theme of misogyny" is the two series' exclusive prism through which it explores humanity's shittiness, or that a single horror element in a scene that lasts only a few pages invalidates everything else in the novels, and the books that were once a great groundbreaking series have actually sucked all along. Reminds me of the PSP meme when dudes lose for the first time.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
yuh mamma so fat she a breaker of horses

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
^^^ Yeah, I do remember that the 100 gods are blind to the NoGod. I like your humans as nerves/parts of a body analogy and reading your post made me realize that I can't remember certain stuff from the Great Ordeal, so I'm gonna have to reread that very soon, or, more likely, listen to the audiobook. Maybe I'll just do another relisten to the whole series, be a little closer that way to understanding all of this before the finale comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

various cheeses posted:

Man I wish it was more pages though. I can't get enough of this series.

I haven't been keeping up with some of the Bakker threads/forums like I used to, but iirc, this finale is going to have a new Encyclopedic Glossary, which will provide some balm if the story itself feels short. I hope I'm not wrong cuz that first EG was so good, and brought me back to my original youngster days of falling in love with epic fantasy and devouring the wicked cool Tolkien encyclopedia I had back then.