Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I have to completely disagree with the OP. The series is entirely one-note and preachy in an extremely disturbing way. I'd actually compare it most closely to the Methods of Rationality fanfic, although I will concede that at least the narrative is more tightly focused.

It's all about a genius hero who was raised in a Rationalist Kung Fu monastery in the ways of Being Rational, and this make him totally better then all the poor regular schlubs of the world. They're all helpless before his ability to think clearly and his transparently manipulative sociopathic outbursts. He proceeds to betray and steal the girlfriends of his two allies, because they totally belong on his Rationalist cock, and totally shows up his dad who just wasn't the genius he ended up being. No-one ever calls him out on his poo poo, because of course every other character he goes up against is written as a venial idiot who couldn't hope to show least bit of resistance to Rationalist Supreme. It's transparent wish fulfillment for the smart, antisocial kid who just knew he would be better then everyone else if given the right challenge. Heck, I was pretty much that kid and even I gave up on it because I didn't want to be a manipulative, backstabbing monster.

As for the intricate world and plot, it's been a while, but isn't it just a retelling of the Fourth Crusade with a heavy glop of fantasy make-up? Granted, that was a very interesting story in the annals of history, but all the author really adds to it is magical Jews and Arabs (the Jews are stronger but less numerous), Rationalist Batman co-opting it by pretending to be the Second Coming, and a vague race of shapeshifting aliens.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU