Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Can you provide some examples of this guy's good writing and philosophical ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Rime posted:

Apparently the encyclopedia in The Great Ordeal is now almost as long as the novel itself, like nearly half the physical book. :psyduck:

Worldbuilding is a spiritual sickness.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Is this the good writing promised by the OP of this thread

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mr.48 posted:

Yes, Kellhus is god-like in his abilities and the scope of his vision, but the entire thesis of the novels is how terrible it would be if gods actually existed.

Wow, that's really profound.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

savinhill posted:

Why do you have such a resentment against Bakker, or even the mere existence of a thread discussing his books, which you self admittingly haven't even read?

I don't.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

savinhill posted:

They're not, all it comes down to is if it's something not to your particular tastes, even though uptight nerds will try to convince you otherwise for whatever reasons they have

This book definitely isn't bad or for nerds, said the man with the game of thrones gangtag.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Soul posted:

I like books where dudes have swords and beards and dumb weird cultures goddamnit

Have you considered reading The Bible, by God?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Where are you getting this from? Advance copy?

I'm receiving an advance copy from my rear end

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

genericnick posted:

The book itself supposedly contains a lengthy "what came before" section.

In the future all fantasy novels will include a wikipedia summary of the previous one, so that you can get to the action immediately

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Reason posted:

I haven't heard of this before. The op mentions it is 'brutal', is it grim dark brutal hardcore for the sake of it? Are there elves?

It's brutal in the sense of being incredibly bad to read

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The stupid fantasy man's books wouldn't be good even if they were completely accurate to neuroscience

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Slithery D posted:

The "previously on" section of the new book is pretty helpful.

It's nice to him to think of his readers with dementia

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kuiperdolin posted:

Now Kindle says it's not available until loving September. Ever are men decieved. Completely unreasonable.

I'm also loving September, friend.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Rime posted:

Mainly because Bakker has really turned the prose up to 11 this time around. For example: "If they responded to hails at all, it would be to look through their interrogator, into whatever deeps and distances that had made slack rope of their souls."

That sounds bad and stupid.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I got a request to rename this thread but I never read this thread or these books. Suggestions?

You should send it to the gas chamber instead.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

its a bit antiquated to get all steamed up about plot in novels isn't it? its not the 19th century anymore grandpa

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

*very nasal voice* The magic theory and system of the setting is legitimately cool and interesting.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's actually done best in the Mahābhārata, closely followed by Might and Magic 7.

Thank you.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Rime posted:

Malazan, Black Company, and Prince of Nothing all share turning into unreadable trash near the end, Bakker just saw how long it took the other two to get there and went "hold my beer".

guess what pal: they're unreadable trash at the start too!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Space Monster posted:

I'm on the second book and I'm loving them so far but what in the gently caress is wrong with this author? His female characters and the rape every other page is....a bit much.

he writes fantasy novels is the main problem