Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

looking back on the books I did like, I was in my late teens, and am at the stage where I'm willing to reinterpret them as Gnostic texts where the author eventually fails to understand what he's writing and concludes that the Demiurge was right. If Bakker was a persona instead of someone who writes 10000 words about every negative review he gets, I'd be willing to run with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Amethyst posted:

Just because Kellhus is an anti hero doesn’t mean he isn’t a stupid indulgent fantasy based on a warped view of humanity as a bunch of sheeple.
Yes, his general prowess and success (even if he ultimately fails for stupid contrived reasons) ultimately come down to Bakker's philosophy 101 nihilistic worldview that brains are scary

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cardiac posted:

I am mostly curious why people are so upset about Bakker and the books since there are plenty of mediocre fantasy written by authors with questionable opinions out there that people don’t get upset about.
You don’t see the same amount of vitriol towards other authors, probably because they are completely generic and forgettable.
i was coming to post "hmm why do people discuss the contemporary author whose books were released this decade and who actively posts online, more than they do the weirdo libertarian who wrote his books in the 70s" but yeah it turns out Goodkind is still writing them lmao. He gets a well-deserved and ludicrous amount of hate though

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lmao if you think racism in Narnia is a stretch, please re-read Horse and his Boy or Last Battle sometime

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bakker wrote a series so edgy that the main villain identified as an attack helicopter like ten years before that was a transphobic joke