Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Five years gone and on a whim I refresh my Amazon Wishlist and see that "The Unholy Consult" on my wishlist has new cover art and is called "The Great Ordeal".

Huh. Weird, I say. I guess I'll look up The Great Ordeal since TUC is still "currently unavailable."

It releases today.

WHAT DO YOU SEE?

(Re-reading the first five probably isn't going to happen by Thursday. drat.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Uh.

So.

A lot happens. I'd say it's about as much as satisfaction as the first two books in this line put together and now I'm gnashing teeth waiting for the fourth.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Crimpolioni posted:

Kelmomas fucks up god stuff in general, so it probably worked the same way it broke the Narindar & Sorweel.

He's talking about Ajokli, isn't he? Kellhus/Ajokli begins giving his pitch about them serving him as generals, one of the mutilated begins saying something about his siblings hunting him, and how he is hiding here, which I took to mean that the other Gods are pissed about him sneaking into the Granary.

Gotta be this, right? Kelmomas will become the No-God, the No-God is invisible, time is non-linear, therefor he's always been invisible.

Well, here's my alternative take on who he's talking about :

He's actually talking about Kellhus. Ajokli might think he's talking about him when he rips his face off, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's actually talking Kellhus - hiding from his fellow Dunyain within the other Decapitant via the Daimos... That's a lot of D's. Maybe that Mutilated is aware, before the others, that the real Kellhus is somehow no longer within that face and is about to say something when death comes swirling down.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

kcroy posted:

I can see that, but "siblings" would be a weird choice of words when they use "Brother" the rest of the time.

Not if he's a Brother to them, but they don't all see themselves as Brothers themselves -- i.e. one or two of them are either Sisters or not easily categorized. ;-)

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

the trump tutelage posted:

Reminder that for anyone who is actually interested in discussing the book specifically, as opposed to helping a sophomoric English student hijack an already low-population thread with their tedious opinions during release week, there is a fan forum available.

I remember when there were mods who could serve as a bulwark against the threadshitting.

But then pedantism came swirling down.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Fuuuuuu...

Okay, that's funny. Sranc like me shouldn't be running around this McLuhan Dunyain talk anyhow.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Man, this series has a lot of hate-readers.

I thought Bakker had said he had two more books in mind to wrap up the series altogether. But I can't recall where I read that now.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Cardiac posted:

Wasn’t that before the great ordeal/ unholy consult?

Bakker manages in some way to invoke some kind of emotion in his readers in contrast to most other authors, which is a good thing.
Or to put it like this, there are a whole lot of fantasy writers that writes horrible and boring fiction while not getting close to the same vitriol as Bakker.

There's a Reddit thread from two years ago that indicate that he was going to do a two-part No-God series once he finished up the Unholy Consult to wrap up the Judging Eye series. But it sounds like he's had issues getting traction since then, given posts from this year.

It's just a shame that there aren't many vocally positive readers who liked the way TUC wrapped. I thought it was reasonably fitting, for the end of a second series, but kind of a bummer if it doesn't get a proper wrap-up with a final series that at least tries to grapple with the last few questions he seemed to purposefully leave open.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Space Monster posted:

I'm on the second book and I'm loving them so far but what in the gently caress is wrong with this author? His female characters and the rape every other page is....a bit much.

On the bright side, in the next trilogy he starts to treat the men as contemptously as he does the women?

And I'm a person who actually largely likes the work, even with the big glaring warts.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I refuse to fully read the last book until I've got confirmation that he's going to actually write the last two. Whole lotta why bother.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Seeing this thread resurrect in my bookmarks made me want to check, apparently he went from “My story’s done” to “Yep guess I’m milking this” at some point since he’s working on “a final duology that might turn into a trilogy”

See all you fuckers right back here in 2025 I guess

My understanding was that the duology tonclose it out was always the plan. That's what I took from his forums anyhow.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Amethyst posted:

In this case he isn’t even doing that. He’s saying “yep this is the ending. Sorry about that. I could write more if you think it’s bad. Sorry.”

Everything I read on his forums ran to the contrary. Where have you ever seen him say that or anything that's a functional equivalent?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Amethyst posted:

I read an interview where he revealed that he wrote the story as a dnd campaign as a teen, and it ended like it did in the books. He talked about how he could write more but he has no plan for what would happen.

...Yeah, that's pretty different from what you said earlier. But cool.

He's never said that was the ending or that he wasn't planning on writing more. In the GRRM era, nobody's naive enough to believe that guarantees more is on the way, but In this case he isn’t even doing that. He’s saying “yep this is the ending. Sorry about that. I could write more if you think it’s bad. Sorry.” isn't in any way supported by anything he's actually said or done.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Amethyst posted:

I’m not here to be interrogated dude. Go read the interview

I have. He didn't express the sentiment you said he did. But given the way you misunderstood my meaning of the term 'naive' (and your misuse of interrogated), we can leave it at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mukulu posted:

The real question is: would anyone read anymore books set in this universe if he does end up writing more?

Call it sunk costs fallacy (or phallusy since Bakker) but I would want to see how he tries to wrap it.