Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drogue Chronicle
Feb 23, 2016

by Cowcaster

Libluini posted:

Don't worry, I've met worse people. At one point I overheard a girl in a bookshop saying she can't read books with male protagonists because she can't identify with them and my reaction was like this: :stare:

So yeah, your imagination is still going strong compared with that person.

Related, while I've only intermittently engaged with online forums on Bakker's work, I don't every recall seeing anyone speculate on how the Dunyain treat their own women. How do hyper-rational products of a thousands of years eugenics campaign treat the (still?) weaker sex? Most of me thinks they'd consider them inferiors specialized for breeding, as that would be most consistent with everything else Bakker writes about women in this world, but maybe I'm wrong, I can imagine a plausible case for going more towards equal partners in the search for truth and development of better descendants.

It's unfortunate that recent developments make me doubt we'll ever get a chance to learn what the deal was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drogue Chronicle
Feb 23, 2016

by Cowcaster

Libluini posted:

Hilariously, this has the opposite effect on me. It managed to make the Consult look stupid in addition to being sinister. Existential dread just isn't something I can emotionally understand. Well I mean I do know that people fear that kind of stuff, it just feels silly to me.

It's not "existential dread" in our sense, it's absolute knowledge that hell is real, they will be punished, and they have a way to avoid it and do what they want without consequence. You can analogize it to some men in black coming to hook electrodes up to your nuts, forever, unless you kill enough people for their organization to collapse.

Drogue Chronicle
Feb 23, 2016

by Cowcaster

Libluini posted:

That analogy would be wrong, though. The people they're killing and planning to kill are just unwittingly helping the MIB in this example.

In fact, since they're planning on genociding nearly everyone, their punishment is actually fully justified and they're just digging in deeper at this point. They're genocidal bastards trying to evade their punishment.

That makes them evil, but quite rational. You said they were stupid. There's nothing stupid about avoiding pain.

If they felt their punishment was justified they wouldn't behave that way in the first place.

Drogue Chronicle
Feb 23, 2016

by Cowcaster
Is the subject of the third trilogy really a secret? Given that everything in the 2nd Apocalypse is a distorted funhouse version of the first one it's clearly going to be about some southern leader (probably Kelmomas) defeating the No God. Who may or may not be Kelhus in some form. Achamian continues his Seswatha role to the bitter end.