Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm literally just past the BLACK DEMON SEED's first appearance. These books are pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Hi! I just got to the part where Kellhaus recognizes that Skeos doesn't really have a face. This matches nicely with the other dudes face unfolding like esmenets legs earlier. Shits creepy and amazing. I loving love this book especially once it explained the dunyain a bit more.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I always assumed it was just the north star since the whole thing is set to remind us of our own world. But I'm still only halfway through the third book.

Bakker is loving awesome and Kellhus is just making up every single thing he says. When he goes slack and grabs Akka by the throat, that's the real Kellhus.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Gazaar posted:

Esmenet chapters are the True Slog of Slogs. When I re-read I'm going to skip THE gently caress out of those.

Counterpoint, Kelmomas is loving awesome.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just got to the part with Proyo and Big K...

:allbuttons:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Libluini posted:

To be honest, that stuff doesn't even face me anymore, I just roll my eyes, suppress my disgust, and read on. It's basically a Bakkerism at this point.

poo poo like this and Sorweel masturbating to Serwa and Moenghus Jr. loving is in all his books. It's like with Robert Jordan and his weird spanking fetish. Some authors just have this one weird thing you start to notice after reading their books for long enough. :shrug:

It just seemed to come up so randomly. I love how brutally graphic every description is though.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Boing posted:

I suspect that what Bakker is trying to hammer home is that the Dunyain simply aren't human anymore. They can barely hybridise with regular humans, they've developed some much greater sexual dimorphism, they're wired in completely different ways. The unrealistic part of that is that it's only been 2000 years of breeding and actual speciation probably takes much longer (without genetic engineering or some Earwean Lamarck crap). We've bred some pretty weird fuckin dogs over the course of human civilisation but I think they're still one species, even if the logistics of a chihuahua loving a great dane are prohibitive.

As for the 'men are objectively better than women' thing - Bakker clearly doesn't think this. The metaphysics of Earwa is basically "what if all that proscriptive bullshit in the Bible was real" and seeing the kind of hosed up world it produces. If you do certain things you get sent straight to hell and, welp, that sucks for you and it's not fair, but that's the way the world works. Women should shut up and know their place because only men have pure souls. Like us, the people of Earwa followed the scriptures and believed these things for a while, but gradually began to think of those concepts as unfair - unlike us, that poo poo is all real and men really are better and you can go to hell for being a slut. Which is a chilling existence.

And then there's the no god, which just wants an afterllife for itself!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Dunyain should have huge belly buttons.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"Why is this person talking about Bakker's novels in the Bakker thread? I just don't understand."

You aren't talking about his novels, you are obsessing about a single specific aspect of those novels that you are hung up on.

Boing posted:

Have you considered that medium and message can interact to produce an experience that is greater than the sum of its parts? Or are you ideologically committed to regurgitating inane literary dogma at every turn?

This can't be true because he doesn't like the writing. QED

I preordered this why can't I read it yet. :(

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 24, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Do you mean the writing? If so, lol

Your gimmick is tired. There is more to works than just prose. Sorry you can't enjoy those bits, but the rest of us are gonna keep doing it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

You seem to subscribe to the naive belief that the medium is basically just a neutral container for the message ("there is more to works than just prose").

In reality, prose fiction is nothing but prose. Occasionally, some verse might be thrown in.

Nah. :fuckoff:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
BOTL's logic seems to end in the conclusion that a book with worse prose can never be better than a book with better prose no matter what. This is obviously absurd.

Black Leaf posted:

Why are quoting webcomics to make your point?

Why are you asking stupid questions?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Also notice your concession that Bakker doesn't write well

I actually didn't concede that, my point was that there are things about books that can make them better/worse other than your opinion of the writing. But since you can't stop just making poo poo up, away you go.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

McLuhan offers a very simple and useful principle for judging media - focus on what the form is doing and saying.

Man this is real interesting. You should make a thread about it and post there.

""The medium is the message" is a phrase coined by Marshall McLuhan meaning that the form of a medium embeds itself in any message it would transmit or convey, creating a symbiotic relationship by which the medium influences how the message is perceived."

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 1, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Capitalism is stupid.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just finished. It was pretty cool. I especially liked the emphasis on everyone is going to hell.

What the gently caress is Shae tho? sounds familiar.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Shaeonanra, head of the consult.

I think I was thinking of GRRMs whore character and then I kept trying to remember if Esmi had a friend or something. I enjoy these books but they can be hella confusing as far as what the gently caress with the Outside.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

I hate his prose because it's bad, like a grimdark Guy Gavriel Kay.

You talking about his prose is infinitely worse reading material than his prose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I think we're both half right. He definitely takes control of the Chorae, it describes the chorae pinning the skinspies hands down like nails. Which makes even less sense. Kelmomas blundering in somehow knocks Ajokli out of Kelhus' body, leaving him vulnerable to the chorae.

Less knocks out of and more who is actively running things. I think the idea of a possessed person being briefly reached is a pretty common trope for possession stories.

Ajokli controls the Chorae, but is Kelhus touched by one at any point before that?