Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

The lady got alot of bad heat and internet drama for writing it but hoky poo poo was DA2 horribly written. It oversexualized females, made everyone gay, and made no sense.

I hate rpgs, especialky pc nerd ones, but I beat DA:O on pc and loved it. I was SO excited about DA2 and then they put THAT poo poo out. It killed any interest in Inquisition with me. I haven't even played it yet.

DA2 reminds me of borderlands in that it pondered to the insane stupid fanbase. There's memes referenced, characters are all ridiculous etc. I think the head writer said her goal was to make you "gigglesquee"... Yeah.

Patrick Weekes once said on the PA forums that the Dragon Age writing team took cues from the webcomic Questionable Content, and anyone who knows QC will be haunted by the aptness of that comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Baal posted:

I can't wait to see Leventhan's terrifying maw in 1080p with upscaled graphics and a good combat system

I'd settle for a non-slideshow battle with Odette, personally.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phantasium posted:

3 isn't even on the US store thanks to rights issues.

Every copy of BoF III should be thrown into an active volcano as far as I'm concerned. It's almost Kafkaesque how much tedious, diverting busywork that game heaps on you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Only if I can throw you in with them.

I spent like six goddamn hours trying to get on that boat! And then there was a ten-year timeskip and the boat still wasn't ready!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Baal posted:

The Catherine story and characters are fine. Mature? Lol no, but it's a story about relationships involving psychotic mind demons and a dude with commitment issues voiced by Troy Baker exaggerated to silly extents, it's gonna be about as goofy as you could expect but it's still a fun story with cool characters except like Toby and Johnny, they're both kinda whatever.

Catherine's plot is even goofier than Persona in a lot of ways, especially towards the end. The main villain outs himself by accident because he launches into his evil "mwa ha ha, so you figured out it was me all along" speech too early. That's just amateur hour.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

February is like "hey, nice wallet you got there, mind if we take it?" month.

What else is there? The only thing I've got my eye on right now is the Darkest Dungeon full release.

Seems like most of my hurt's going to be further in the year, when all the big-name JRPG's start dropping.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

univbee posted:

Fire Emblem Fates and its expansions/Collector's Editions, Street Fighter V and an absolute shitton of expensive-as-gently caress controllers for it, Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Far Cry Primal, Xcom 2, Mighty No. 9, the 3DS version of Mega Man Legacy Collection (and physical versions for all platforms) all drop in February, and then the wallet hurt continues in March with Twilight Princess HD, The Division, Hitman which is at least episodic now so you can get it on it for only $15, Uncharted 4, Dark Souls 3, and Dead or Alive Xtreme 3. :sonia:

Oh thank Christ, I'm only interested in, like, two of those. My grocery money may remain unmolested.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Yoya posted:

furi squanders much of its premise by making what seems like all bosses go into extended invincible phases where they make ground pound shockwaves for you to avoid and other extremely cliche boss things but there are still fun parts. in conclusion, furi is a land of contrasts

The only extended-invincibility shockwave parts are at the boss's very last phase, and when it's over they usually go down in one hit. Most other times they're vulnerable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shnag posted:

i'm looking to get an other scary game, but I might just wait for soma to drop more in price if its just sub-par. I enjoy underwater games like Bioshock, and I liked Alien Isolation and outlast, but Soma's atmosphere might not be enough if its gameplay is lacking. Slenderman also looks tempting to get.

SOMA is liked mainly for the ideas on display re: transhumanism and such. It's not very scary, the protagonist is unbearable and while the setting is neat it can't help feeling like a low-rent Bioshock after a while.

Slender on the other hand has nothing to recommend it at all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, Grandia 3 was not kindly received even at release. People would have even less patience for its crap today.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I just want Odin Sphere to get a little discount, is that so wrong

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DrManiac posted:

How is star ocean 5? It just came out like 2 months ago but is already half off. I'm thinking about that or double-dipping on darkest dungeons if the port is good.

Star Ocean 5 is bad. Do not buy it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

you'll get destroyed very quickly.

This isn't exaggeration, by the way. The Bloodborne DLC is the most difficult material From's ever produced by a fair margin.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rirse posted:

I will start over then. Maybe this run I won't screw up the event flags for a lot of the quests. Is there any new Dex weapons in the DLC (bought already from this sale), as I went with dex in my first run, but never switch from the cane you get at the start.

With one exception I think the coolest weapons in the DLC are all DEX. The Bowblade wrecks a lot of encounters for BLT builds in particular, and the Rakuyo is like an even more stylish upgrade to the Blades of Mercy.

Quality builds also get the Beasthunter Saif, which just looks like a slightly bigger Saw Cleaver but has an incredible moveset.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Minidust posted:

Thanks all for the Bloodborne DLC info! I'm actually sitting on a sealed copy of Bloodborne. I'll probably return that and buy the complete digital version instead, since it now comes out to slightly cheaper than what I paid for physical + the sale DLC price.

Any thoughts on Grandia or Legend of Dragoon? I'm kinda fully loaded on portable JRPGs, but these are cheap enough to have me curious.

LoD was considered superb at release and has aged extraordinarily badly. Steer clear.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Man, Odin Sphere is never going to get a discount, is it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

The second one based in Rome was the last one I managed to play all the way through. It's been a steady descent in quality since then.

More like a sine wave, really.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

hadji murad posted:

I've got 20 dollars in credit left and want to play an FPS game. I haven't played one in years so there should be a number of offerings. Single player is preferred. What's good?

Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's coming up
it's coming up
it's coming up
it's coming up
it's coming up
it's coming up
it's coming up
it's Dare
(ooh!)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

Odin Sphere for $30

loving FINALLY

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I know People were disappointed with I Am Setsuna, is it a better deal at the $24 price range?

No, there's very little substance to it. $10-and-below material, if that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

Thanks for the insights guys. The more I've been thinking about it, the more "variety" is what appeals to me in what I'm looking to play. Doom seems a bit samey with repetitive takedowns, and I think the diverse options in Fallout/Farcry are what draw me to those games.

But if Fallout ain't great, that just leaves 2 Farcry games for double the price, and one of them was written off right away... sooo... guess I've been talked out of an impulse buy. Thanks!

The Far Cry games are soul-deadening in how repetitive they are, for me. We might have different ideas of "variety," though.

• Locked thread