Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

How is Life is Strange? Worth the 20 bucks for the season pass?

Life is Strange is fantastic, it's absolutely worth the $20 asking price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Feenix posted:

Is good? People talk it up a lot so I want it but I just still don't really know what kind of game it is.

Gravity Rush is a solid, but very flawed game. Basically, it's an open world game where the central conceit is that your character - Kat - can control gravity around her. So she can run on walls/ceilings/the bottom of buildings, fall up, etc.

The main flaw is that there's a lot of combat in the game and the combat isn't amazing, especially if you fall into the trap of trying to Gravity Kick everything. That said, it's really cool and definitely worth a look.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Saint Freak posted:

Cyber Sleuth kinda looks like a Raidou game, is that accurate? I know nothing about digimans.

Not really, no. Digimon is a traditional JRPG with somewhat (but not really) Pokemon reminiscent monster capture/raising mechanics. One nice thing about it is there is no RNG in the capture mechanic: when you encounter a Digimon you want, you'll gather X% of data on that Digimon, and when you have 100% you can create it; if you get 200%, you get a bonus when you create the Digimon, I forget what that bonus was offhand.

Combat involves exploiting Digimon type and attributes. So if you're fighting a boss that's all Virus type Digimon, you should use a party comprised of Vaccine types, because you'll double your damage output and halve theirs. Elemental advantage adds another 50% on top of that for a maximum triple damage.

Monster raising at its most basic level involves leveling up your Digimon, then choosing to Digivolve them at the lab when they meet the digivolution requirements (so when they reach X Level, Y HP, Z STR, etc.) You can dedigivolve your dude, which is a good idea when you cap your Digimon's level (and can't digivolve) or you're trying to raise Ability for a specific reason.

It's a really, really cool JRPG.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Speaking of mech games, I've been thinking about playing one on my Vita lately. Are any of the PSP Armored Core games good? I like that franchise a lot, but I'm not sure how well it would transfer to handheld.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Thanks guys! I admit I was pretty concerned about the control scheme, but it sounds like that won't be an issue.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

In comparison I will say that the ending of Life is Strange is literally the only way I could have imagined it ending and I feel it's perfectly thematically cohesive with the rest of the game.

However, while I played LoS blind, I played all five chapters in a row instead of with a gap between which may impact how I viewed it. I think a lot of people who played it point-to-point had time to built up theories and ideas that didn't get lived up to and missed that the game is fundamentally a tragedy about 'what ifs' rather than a time travelling adventure game.

Edit: Regardless, I think it's completely worth playing. The last chapter has some wonky moments but even then it's worth it.

I played it pretty much the same way you did; that is, blind and with no breaks (it wasn't a single sitting, but it was still maybe three days total.)

I laughed really hard at how absurd/bad the ending was when it happened and immediately had a bunch of other ideas for how it could have ended.

It was still my favorite game last year, but that ending was a train wreck and had no business being in that game.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Popular Human posted:

A friend of mine had SoM on PS3 and I watched him play it. It was...not good. It's definitely night and day; you can tell the game was never really intended for last-gen hardware and was basically a jury-rigged, "we can squeeze a few more dollars out of this launch if we have a 360/PS3 release" kind of deal. And this is coming from someone who played and didn't hate the 360 version of Dragon Age: Inquisition.

What was that even like? Did it seem like a really generic fantasy open world game or something?

I legitimately can't imagine what that game would be like without the Nemesis system.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Real hurthling! posted:

Some digimon cyber sleuth questions:
does it have random encounters?
is it a straightforward play through or are there some tough level checks in it that bog down progress?
thanks.

It does have random encounters, and as you proceed through the game you get abilities which can change the encounter rate dramatically.

It's a fairly straightforward playthrough. For the most part normal will be pretty easy as long as you have a reasonable Digimon type distribution.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Real hurthling! posted:

ok so its not like a take 2 steps, fight a battle, sort of thing but more like you can set it to taste?

cool. 17 is a good price for it. thats exactly what it costs to buy a copy and resell it to amazon (30 purchase, 13 trade in)

You can eventually shift the encounter rate around a bit (by the endgame you can instantly summon encounters or prevent them outright), but not immediately. You need to have Digimon of specific evolution levels or types to adjust the encounter rate.

I don't recall the encounter rate ever being too high, but it's been a while.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I really want to play that Raven DLC. I hope they have a Yunica DLC in the pipeline too, that would rule

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tensokuu posted:

I know they're different games, but Dying Light or Gravity Rush Remastered?

They're both great games for different reasons, but I will say this: Gravity Rush is getting a sequel early next year.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Did someone at Sony gently caress up, or does this flash sale seriously not have PS+ discounts on top of the normal discount? I don't think I've ever seen them do that before.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Renoistic posted:

I played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls for a couple of hours but couldn't get into them. I hear Bloodborne is supposed to be the best in the "series", though. I normally enjoy character action games like DMC and Ninja Gaiden, but there was just something about the old Souls games that didn't click with me. That combined with the harsh checkpoint system made it hard to bother with the effort. I really would like to get into the series though.

I'm really curious what connection you saw between the gameplay in a game like DMC and the gameplay in Souls.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Renoistic posted:

I meant Bloodborne, not the other Souls games. It's pretty superficial I guess, but I got the impression Bloodborne is more fast paced than the others, focusing on aggressiveness and heavy use of invincibility frames.

I can see that, I guess. I will say, though, you definitely can play those other Souls games like that. It's just not the 100% intended way to play them like it is with Bloodborne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sakurazuka posted:

As someone who never touches shields in a Souls game, the regain system in BB makes playing aggressively way more viable.

You're right. I was just pointing out that it's a valid way of playing the other games.

• Locked thread