Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Anyone play Bomberman Ultra? From what I can tell it's literally the same game as the XBLA Bomberman, but with support for 7-players locally. For $2.50 that might be enough for me to bite, but wondering if there's anything else I should know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Between general married adult life... and like, just having games on other consoles/PC to play, I never actually play all the PS+ games from a given month. So I've always got games from the "good" months still backed up to play, which I need a subscription to do, so keeping my PS+ subscription is good in my book. And I only have a PS3!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
How are those PSP Capcom arcade collections? I just picked up a Vita and I figure those would be great portable games to have on hand. Are they crippled by being PSP titles (never owned any Sony handheld before, so not sure what to expect) or is the emulating/porting pretty good? Same question for Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Platypus Farm posted:

I've got a bunch of them and they're pretty much perfect. SFA3 Max is also very very fun
That's great to hear, thanks!

I notice some games are listed as "PSP|PS VITA" on the web store, while others just say "PSP". Would the latter type still work on a Vita? I was under the impression that basically the entire PSP library is available on Vita, as long as a given title had a digital version of course.

EDIT:

CrashCat posted:

Obligatory "don't buy unless you have a PS3 to get them onto the Vita" warning
Ah, is that what the distinction is between those listings then? I do have a PS3.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Thanks for expounding, all. I found a wiki post on CheapAssGamer that is pretty useful in this regard. PSP titles are color-coded based on whether they are downloadable directly onto a Vita, transferrable via PS3, or simply non-working. https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/281768-complete-list-of-pspminispsone-games-playable-on-vita/

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is the original Dissidia made obsolete by the second one (012, duodecim, whatever it's called)? I'll just grab the newer one if I'm not missing out on anything.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Takoluka posted:

They really should have learned from the previous game and also from Victory Vs.+.
Out of curiosity what is there to learn from Victory Vs.? Seems like I'd dig it but I don't know much about it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Thoughts on Grim Fandango Remastered? Never played the original, but I've always been a huge fan of the old "use x on y" PC games.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Cool, thanks for the Grim Fandango feedback guys. According to PSprices this is the cheapest it's ever been, so I'll definitely jump on it! Heh I'll be prepared to look things up if necessary. I've gotten pretty good at figuring out wonky Lucasarts logic, but sometimes a relatively minor thing gets me (had to look online for a part in the Monkey Island 2 remaster; turns out this thing that was in plain sight was actually a separate area if you walked up to it, which only then allowed you to interact with it).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

univbee posted:

It is kind of interesting how, of all the game genres, adventure games seem to be the most impacted by processor speed shenanigans, I feel like more adventure games get screwed by this than all other genres combined. I felt a lot better about not 100%ing the 7th Guest when I found that out later.
I recall Space Quest IV having an impossible section on newer computers, something with space cops chasing you through a mall and the cops were just way too fast to deal with if you were on like a Pentium

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
How's Lumines Electronic Symphony? The PS3 Lumines didn't quite click with me as much as I'd expected, but I think I'd play this type of game a lot more in a portable format.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Eldred posted:

Does the day-one Catwoman DLC for Arkham City count? That had some decent twists on the normal gameplay, although the pacing was a bit off.
I guess it's technically DLC... but wasn't that more of an Anti-Used-Game measure (i.e. all new copies included a code) than "traditional" paid DLC?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've read up on Street Fighter V and it sounds like the season pass is just "time saver" DLC for stuff you can already unlock in-game (plus a few exclusive costumes). Is that correct? Just wondering since the Deluxe version of SFV is the only one on sale right now. No problem waiting for a deal on the base game if I'm not missing out on anything important.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Oh hm well that's interesting then. Thanks for elaborating guys. So would the Season Pass render fight money pointless, or is there still other in-game stuff left to spend it on? I've seen reference to "non-premium" costumes; not sure if that means they are explicitly not part of the season pass though.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

CrashCat posted:

The wrapper is an indication of the contents. It's not a serious golf game, it lacks the quality of life stuff and precision that makes a real golf game and it has deliberately game breaking stuff like magnet balls to sink your chips and bashing the rubble of buildings into your opponent's way. If you wanted PGA Tour in 3D then wait for that.

Right now the automatch doesn't even work so without anyone on my friends list playing it I can't tell you if it's any better in multiplayer. I played the whole 36 holes tonight and the water and moon levels screwed with me the most because of the physics change. The mountain levels were probably closest to a more traditional difficult golf game since they have sheer cliffs to lose your ball and a lot of vertical changes to negotiate, but much less buildings and no wacky physics.

I like it for the $18 I paid but then I haven't played PGA Tour in a while and I probably should just dig into that again at some point. And I also like less serious golf games since in the end I pretty much suck at golf.

If you need any further proof whether it's for you, you have spin and curve controls but only three clubs with modifiers; high/mid/low driver and wedge, and long/short putter. If that annoys you just reading it don't buy robot golf.
It sounds like you're describing Kirby's Dream Course, don't make me need VR please

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Getsuya posted:

Question: If I put games on my wishlist will PSN give me auto-messages when they go on sale like Steam does?
I use psprices.com for this, works pretty well and shows you price histories too

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Any thoughts on DJMAX Portable 3? I'm into music games like Rock Band, Frequency, FF Theatrhythm, etc. Although I have no particular appreciation for J-pop type of stuff, if that matters. Game's still on sale for like 15 minutes so figured I'd ask.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Just saw a PSN notification message dated 11/4 that I've got a free $10 credit to spend by November 30th. Anyone else get this? Or could it have to do with me buying/registering a PS4 last week?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What is the nature of the Bloodborne DLC? Description makes it sound like some sort of side mission. Is there content that would mess with the game balance for a first-time player?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Thanks all for the Bloodborne DLC info! I'm actually sitting on a sealed copy of Bloodborne. I'll probably return that and buy the complete digital version instead, since it now comes out to slightly cheaper than what I paid for physical + the sale DLC price.

Any thoughts on Grandia or Legend of Dragoon? I'm kinda fully loaded on portable JRPGs, but these are cheap enough to have me curious.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
What are loading times like on PSOne Classics? Is it like running them with the fast loading option on a PS2 at least? Prob gonna pick up a JRPG or two from this sale to play on Vita, and wondering what I'll be in for.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is "Need For Speed" the online-only one? I had the impression that my only option for for a good single-player experience was one of the sub-titled games.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Welp, now's the time to decide if I want to get into Overwatch. Considering the PS Plus price, lack of sales tax for PSN in my case, and the 10x rewards with the PS rewards card (apparently an extra x5 points for this sale too?), this easily outdoes the best Black Friday retail deals ($35+tax).

Might be overkill since I also plan on getting Titanfall 2. There's also XCOM 2 for $30 sitting in my Amazon cart right now. Choices...

btw, the fine print in the 10% PSN coupon says that it's one-time-use, in case anyone was wondering. So make sure you figure out everything you might want before placing an order!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Few questions about items in the sale:

I see Hotline Miami 2 is cross-buy for everything, but does anyone know if it cross-saves between PS4 and Vita? I ask because there are odd cases like Spelunky that have Vita/PS3 cross-save but not Vita/PS4.

Guilty Gear Xrd Sign is no longer the newest game in the series, correct? My cycle of Almost Buying an Aksys Fighter continues.

Saints Row Re-elected sounds like some sort of expansion, but it is actually like a "game of the year" version of IV, yes?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Ignis posted:

Both HLM are cross-save between Vita/PS4.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

revelator is the newest GG

Ape Agitator posted:

That's correct. Gat out of Hell is the expansion.
Thanks!

So is there likely to be a weekend sale too? I forget if those are supposed to be every OTHER week or what. I'm fine with sitting on my 20% off code for a few more days since I'm not in a rush to start playing anything in the current sale.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Any issues going back and forth between Online and Offline mode in BB? I'm assuming you can pause for real in Offline mode and I'm gonna want to do that at some point (been doing exclusively Online thus far).

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I recall some recommendations for the Jackbox Party games. Would those still be good for someone who already has the Wii/U library of casual party stuff available?

Never heard of that Tron game before this sale, should I assume it's bad? I came to the PS4 three years late so no idea if it's some hidden gem I've missed.

Trackmania looks kind of cool, is there a lot to enjoy if you don't plan on getting into the user-generated-content scene much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Bloodborne has points where you'll spend a few hours playing and maybe accomplish one thing that qualifies as "progress" in the traditional sense. It's very rewarding when you hit those walls and finally manage to climb over them, but it's an investment as others have said. DOOM by contrast moves really fast (literally and figuratively). Outstanding games but easy to see how a person might prefer one over the other.

Source: I am currently playing Bloodborne and DOOM for the first time

• Locked thread