Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

SpacePig posted:

It's not like there was much in the Vita barrel to begin with.

There were some rather good games in the PS+ line-up: MGS 2/3 HD, VLR, Rayman Origins, Muramasa: Rebirth, Sonic Racing and there are many that can still be a part of the program - for example, Atelier games, EDF, Project Diva (two games, even), they could save us from the the indie hell. At least Grim Fandango is cross-buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Motto posted:

I've seen Falcom games among Japanese PS+ offerings, but I doubt SCEA will be putting obscure JRPGs in theirs anytime soon. Honestly they'd likely garner less interest than the indies.

That reminds me, Memories of Celceta and Soul Sacrifice were on PS+, too. Something has definitely changed, and they don't have the not having enough of a backlog as an excuse, like with the PS4. Oh well, there's always next month, and Grim Fandango is still a treat, even if it's technically the PS4 offering.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
If you want a classic giant monster brawler, the newly released PS4 version of the PS2 War of the Monsters wouldn't be a bad choice, I think.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 10, 2016

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I'm glad for those re-released PS2 games, but I wish they added savestates and stopped using different region versions/patched the earlier one to one format, because that's just disgraceful. Buying the NTSC version is at least an option, but it shouldn't be a problem in the first place - although I suppose there are some licensing issues at work here.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

epitasis posted:

p3fes was about the most requested title on twitter so I'd say there's a good chance. plus it's not like p4g where there's a current-gen version of it they're still making money on

That would probably be nice, but that would be the first example of a game that a further release making some improvements (fast travel, direct control, Female MC), so just ignoring that would be a shame. But then the changes would essentially make it P3P, hmm.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Attitude Indicator posted:

doesn't P3 have a silent protag?

There's no voice acting for MC (other than shouting in-battle), but you do choose responses to questions and dialogue choices.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Ironically, the thing I disliked most in Valiant Hearts was something that I assume was included because the creators wanted to add more gameplay, namely QTE minigames that were introduced with a certain new character. I was quite content with running around and solving simple puzzles and the game is simply hurt by those - not only are they utterly unnecessary, they are simply boring to get through.

Still, I got it as a PS+ game, so I can't complain about the price, at the very least.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 15, 2016

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Szurumbur posted:

Ironically, the thing I disliked most in Valiant Hearts was something that I assume was included because the creators wanted to add more gameplay, namely QTE minigames that were introduced with a certain new character. I was quite content with running around and solving simple puzzles and the game is simply hurt by those - not only are they utterly unnecessary, they are simply boring to get through.

Still, I got it as a PS+ game, so I can't complain about the price, at the very least.

Edit: well, it had to happen eventually.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

Is Dark Cloud 2 enhanced in any way, or is it exactly the same just emulated well on PS4?

Also:
HEY SQUARE/ENIX I WILL SPEND £19.99 TO GET DRAGON QUEST 8 IF YOU CAN GET IT TO WORK ON PS4.

Now a functionality question. I have a PSP that can't get on to my home's wifi. Is there any non-piratey way of buying Breath of Fire III at this great price and getting it on to the PSP?

It's supposedly 1080p (up-rendered), but I've noticed framerate stuttering sometimes and it doesn't feel like 60 fps, but I can live with that. It also has trophy support and your everyday Remote Play support, otherwise it's the same game.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 21, 2016

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

Getting some error... this likely won't remove anything from my memory stick, right?

I think whatever you're trying to do here would result in the PSP checking games and apps against the account that activated/downloaded/bought them and if it doesn't match, you should get a message that the selected software is not available. Still, PSP BoF III is only available on the EU PSN, so if your main account is in NA, you won't be able to play it normally anyway, you'd have to deactivate the PSP's main account and activate the EU one. It's a bit of a pain, but less so than on the Vita.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Prologus gives you Aeris to assist in battle, but that's it. I also heard that if you're fighting Sephiroth his AI will constantly target her is she's on the field, which is a funny Easter egg if true.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

MisterAlex posted:

If I'm remembering correctly and Breath of Fire 3 is the one where I think you start as a baby dragon in a cave or something, then that's a great game.

It's a whelp.

caligulamprey posted:

Is BoF3 a huge deal or something? Like, can I make money with my PSone copy that's been sitting in a box unfinished since release day? I never really thought much of it.

I did like the fishing.

Most of the prices at Amazon seem higher than you'd expect, but nothing special - there are a few listing with prices higher than a 100 pounds, but those seem rather exception than the norm. It's just a good game that was finally released from the clutches of the region locking, as PSP has one account per console policy and the PSX version was never released digitally.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
About the Sony Rewards: are the PSN vouchers one can obtain for points digital codes, or do they actually ship out a card?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Broforce is cool, but the control bug is annoying. Still a good game, especially for the price. And the reference to Cannon Fodder will always make a game find a spot in my heart.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

MisterAlex posted:

You're not lying. My roommate and I decided to give it a go today, and it was a blast. The only problem was that the game apparently likes to briefly pause controller input from time to time, and that's pretty annoying since it usually means one or both of us get killed.

As far as I can can the bug will always occur about 3 seconds after a stage's start and very rarely, if ever, after. So the solution is to stay still for four seconds at the start, which is sometimes infeasible, but there you go.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

This may sound incredibly stupid but I can't figure out for the life of me how to local co-op in Broforce :geno:

edit: In the join screen, hitting square on the second controller does nothing since it isn't 'on' and hitting the ps button simply disconnects the other controller.

Don't the controllers have to be assigned to particular players? So if you turn on a second one, but assign it to the player who uses the first controller now, it'll disable that. So you have to assign the second controller to a Guest or other account, if there's one set up on your PS4.

at least that's how it's supposed to work, I think.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm interested in repurchasing Saints Row 4 and I see the Game of the Year complete all dlc at a reasonable price version is only the PS4 version which I heard was a porting disaster. Has that been cleaned up by patches yet?

Is it really? I've been playing it on and off and it seems to work fine, the framerate drops when the action is intense, but otherwise I have noticed no problems.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

One of my friends was constantly complaining about the game hard crashing a lot, I think it's more than just frame drops.

Then I musg have been very lucky, because it didn't crash once for me, I don't think. Well, for a low enough price it's a serviceable port.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Meowbot posted:

Hello all I want to purchase this game

http://www.play-asia.com/dead-or-alive-xtreme-3-fortune-multi-language/13/709dv7

I am am american with a PSN US store account - what do I do and how do I obtain this game if you know? I do not have an asian store account and its ays

Please note: A Taiwan/Singapore/Hong Kong PlayStation Network (PSN) account is required to redeem/download any downloadable content (DLC) of this game

Thank you for your consideration!

edit: the game is deadly oralive extreme volleyballe 3 fortune

You only need the HK/Asian PSN account to access the DLC, since it has to match the game's region, you can import the physical copy and it'll play the game just fine. So you must consider just how important DLC is to you - I assume it'll be the same as other DoA games, so mostly new costumes.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Cyber Sleuth kinda looks like a Raidou game, is that accurate? I know nothing about digimans.

Remarkably similar music, might be the same composer? Gameplay wise it's really different - turn based, for one

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Should I play Disgea 4 before I play 5?

I think mechanically the games are a constant improvement, so unless you want to play the story of Disgaea 4 (and I personally think it's quite good) I'd say no.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

MisterAlex posted:

For some reason, they keep sending me more Grand Kingdom PS4 beta keys...

5LP4-Q4N2-T868
HM4G-2JNQ-QF4E
44CA-JGN8-7KG2

I've found it to be an interesting slant on the TRPG genre. You've got a "game board" but combat occurs in a sub-zone in the style of regular RPGs such as Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, and the like. The actual combat system is a curious blend of things with TRPG being the main crux. I'd recommend giving it a go if you enjoy RPG and/or TRPG titles, particularly ones with Japanese/anime art styles.

lol, all three are already used

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Sefal posted:

I still don't get what they were doing with this.

It would have been a bit better if the game wasn't delayed for europe.
It seemed like a unnecessary block.

I think it was because this game was dual-audio, and the game was prohibitively expensive in Japan, so in order to stop the Japanese players importing from overseas they just blocked it.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Sinners Sandwich posted:

But seriously, scribbly text, you could have turned on the text overlay if you were having problems reading it. Don't go off saying that it's hidden behind menus. The first thing anyone should do before they play a game is to go to options and make sure subtitles are on

I don't have an opinion on Gone Home, having not played it, but subtitles turned off by default is a bad design choice and should not be something that persists.

Captain Novolin posted:

im sorry you're illiterate and unable to read anything that isnt block capitals

Why are the response to the guy not liking Gone Home so hostile? If is he is trolling, it's not as though not liking that game is a personal failing or anything to that nature, which some responses don't even imply, but outright state (talking about ,,those types" and somesuch).

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Novolin posted:

90% of the interesting stuff and plot in gone home is in the handwritten notes, so dismissing all of them because they're "hard to read" (they're not if you've ever read anyone's handwriting ever) means you're basically ignoring the stuff that's worth a poo poo in that game. its not that he didn't like it, its that he has a completely idiotic reason for not liking it.

Then have the game enable subtitles by default and you'll have a much more accessible game and you'd be able to dismiss such complaints without those fine bits of goalposts moving (I know it's not your game, a general "you").

For example, in Until Dawn every document, handwritten or not, is accompanied with on-screen text - redundant, perhaps, but certainly not unwelcome.

rabidsquid posted:

I don't really have a horse in this race but calling something pretentious is typically very :rolleye:

I don't disagree, actually, but one can engage with an argument without trying to insult the other person as a first recourse.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

Really? I absolutely hate subtitles; they always distract my eye from what's actually happening on screen, which in something like the Witcher 3 is awful because so much of the subtle animation tells a story.

Do you always have subtitles on in movies, too?

The problem - sometimes neglegible though it might be - with subtitles turned off by deafault is two-fold:
1) some games (such as Max Payne 3) have cutscenes playing before you can even set subtitles. Not to mention some games (and films, even) have garbage sound mixing
2) I don't think there's a industry-wide policy where to put the option - sometimes in Display, sometimes in Audio, Gameplay even.

I think the best solution would be to have a simple toggle at the beginning of the game, so the players can have the option set to their liking without hunting for it - with the age of tutorials we now live in, it's often unnecessary to go to the Options for the purpose of learning the control scheme.

Film don't have such problems typically, since the set-up options are obvious and most of the times set "on" be default.

I do find my gaze drawn to the subtitles, but that's a small price to pay for the convenience.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

what a sad existence

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
BlazBlue is the densest fighting game I've ever read, it's more like a VN with fighting attached.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I don't actually dislike it, because I like reading and the VAs are doing rather good job, but the sheer amount of text and voice acting is staggering - if every node on the Story Mode menu is the same or similar length, there are at least ten hours of this stuff. I don't need to see all of them, of course, but it's impressive in a peculiar way.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
A question about the new Star Ocean: on the store page it is written that the digital version comes with a few accessories and VP BGM, not calling it a pre-order bonus. But generally digital version don't get any bonuses, so I'm doubtful - does anyone know if it's entirely for pre-orders, or could I wait?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Digimon Cyber Sleuths gave the pre-order bonuses on digital for an entire month from what I recall so I don't see why it shouldn't be possible.

Heh.

Digimon.

Digital purchase.

Heh.

Sometimes it works that way, and I know I got some additional content while buying Digital Sleuth on sale a while ago, so maybe it'll work the same way here. The only think I actually care about would be the music, but the way it's worded it seems like it could be just an additional track for world exploration or an alternate battle music - I very much doubt that they give a whole OST.

Whoever buys the digital version please report.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

Hello friends, should I buy Toukiden: Kiwami from this sale? I know nothing about these games, is it an RPG?

There's a demo which is an entire first chapter and a good introduction. In a nutshell, it's a Monster Hunter style action game, you progress by leveling up Mitamas, which act like accessories, and forge better weapons and armour.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Sefal posted:

Yakuza 5 is now gone from the ps plus EU store.
Turns out it was a mistake. Glad I grabbed it.

Edit: yakuza 5 is still on the store, only listed as 39,99 now

lol

glad I took it, though

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

Hmmm...is DOA5:Last Round worth $15? I remember liking a few of the older games well enough if not loving them. Is it just more of the same?

I think so - it's a good fighting game, and you get some Virtua Fighter characters also (Akira, Pai, Sarah are there for certain, but I think there were 4 total, just can't remember the last one - Jacky, maybe?) who have their moves implemented quite fluidly into the DoA controls - sadly, I think it's the closest we're getting to VF on the PS4, but I hope I'm wrong.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 6, 2016

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Isn't Cosmic Star Heroine basically a Phantasy Star game in all but name? I haven't been keeping up on it but the trailer looked cool.

I've looked it up and found the announcement trailer on the PS Blog, but I hope the enemies' and skills' description are placeholder ones - I don't expect Working Designs to translate write every skill description ever, but "Damage enemy" or "die" or "just an enemy, you know" is not something I want to read from a finished game.

Otherwise it looks fine and charmingly old-school, and for that price I can forgive a few flaws, I suppose

Edit: right, it's in English originally, no translation here

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 20, 2016

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

What, there's no translation going on, it's a western developed game by the guys who did Breath of Death VII and Cthuhu Saves the World

Right, a slip of the fingers, I meant their whimsical/humorous/elaborate writing style, even if they did tend to put jokes everywhere - but basically anything other that this super-basic descriptions would be better.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

TARDISman posted:

I'm pretty excited for Rogue Galaxy to scratch my space exploration itch until No Man's Sky drops

Then get disappointed, because you're not getting it :twisted:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
However, Rebel Galaxy had some bugs and annoying elements (Pirate Lord dreadful spawn frequency, mainly) patched out, so at least you get the better experience now.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I mean Gal Gun is okay for what it is and has a decent amount of content, it's just a game that really needs to be a light gun game and those are deader than dead. Just moving a sight around the screen seems to be missing the point. Skip the Vita version though, load times are awful.

How awful are they? And only between stages, or in-stage also (before a new enemy comes up, between tutorials etc.)? Shooting by touching the screen seems like a cool idea and more interesting than simply moving the cursor around - then again, I might not actually be necessarily accurate with my fingers, but I assume the cursor is an alternative on the Vita?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Once you actually get into a stage it's fine but before there's a hideous wait between every screen, at least 10 seconds between every menu and 30 or more when anything 3D is involved (cut scenes, stage changes etc).

Yeah there's a cursor option, I had no idea you could touch to shoot tbh.

It was my assumption you could, that's the only advantage I can see Vita version having, aside from the portability, but you can Remote Play the game. If you actually can't, then that's awful, but combined with the loading times at the very least it makes the decision of which port to choose really simple.

• Locked thread