Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

BlindNinja posted:

Thanks!

Does it matter which I play first?

Crossing media, I don't think I've come across a movie, book, or game where the prequel should be seen first. They're all written to appeal to fans of the original and include forward references that assume you've seen everything thus far. They also have little respect for spoilers and often don't properly introduce characters that are big in the main series.

Totally taking quality out of it, Obi Wan in A New Hope is awful in his vague double speak if you've already had six hours of explicit origin feed to you and three climactic reveal of Empire is bleh when you're already familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Any champions for Teslagrad or Tiny Brains?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

dwarf74 posted:

Also, maybe I'm just miserly, but is anyone actually paying $60-$70 for a Lego game? They are good family fun, don't get me wrong, but that seems crazy.

Yeah, I've been keeping my Lego game purchases under $15 and have been almost always totally satisfied with the value.  But despite the huge character list and collectible hunt, they've never ever seemed to be more than budget titles so a $60 out of the gate price feels like a mistake that costs them sales.  After the Star Wars collection it feels like they should open at $40

The only Lego game that didn't live up to the $15 bar was Harry Potter which somehow made everything both a chore and boring.  And by boring I mean by Lego game metrics boring.  Those wands totally suck, the series doesn't have a lot of action in it so you're mostly blowing up people's places of work or public parks where there's no conflict going on, and there's something that seems off about a bunch of kids wrecking everything looking for studs.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Hmmm... Lego Diablo...

I think you're on to something because grinding kills of an adorable Baal for a super rare moustache seems like the next step.

Build awhile and listen...

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Putting out a little shout out for our overlooked friend The Last Guy.  It's got a great mix of bizarre matched with cabinet arcade style gameplay.  There's also some nice game mechanics and you'll start to notice how much more of a puzzle game it is than a twitch game.  Good stuff.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

SamuraiPaul posted:

I am the one moron who loves Uncharted multiplayer.

I'm the other moron that loves UC multiplayer.

From my brief time with Gears multi (somewhat brief) I think the major departures is that UC offers more tools while moving. The series has a kind of incredible run and gun autoaim. You can do so much work while firing on the run or blind firing because the game gives you a super generous cone of aim while moving. So you're kind of encouraged to close distance and use a mix of gunfire and melee (or in UC3 and UC4 special abilities).

UC4 adds a grappling hook which is slight disappointing only that it's limited to certain gaps instead of allowing more freedom to swing away almost anywhere. I think the multi could really transform if you could add a lot of unexpected z-axis in there especially since the grapple supports melee too.

The other nice factor is the high time to kill which UC shares with Gears which really promotes team work and crazy escapes from death. It leads me to really enjoy street battles in UC3 and UC4 because they're prolonged and dynamic instead of being shotgun fests or twitch "see you first" things.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Saoshyant posted:

NA deal for PS3 owners: digital code of the Sly Cooper Trilogy for a whooping $2.50. Store seems safe.

This is an amazing deal but I have a question. I'm like 90% sure I bought the Sly Cooper collection but all I can seem to find on PSN is Thieves in Time and Thievius Raccoonus, which clocks in at 5GB. Is the Thievius Raccoonus on PSN actually the whole trilogy?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

juliuspringle posted:

You may have to dig through your purchase history to find them.

edit: I found this while checking for myself since I KNEW I had bought it awhile a

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/the-sly-collection/cid=UP9000-NPUA80711_00-PS3SLYCOLLECTION

Thanks! I had indeed bought it and I'll throw it on my PS3 so I don't lose it again.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
It turns out I'll buy most anything for $2 or less so I'm buying poor choices like Bionic Command Rearmed 2 despite knowing nobody was really happy with it.

In terms of recommending things I've played (most of these are PS3 so if you've sold yours just ignore):

I found Call of Juarez Gunslinger to be a serious sleeper hit for me.  While the dueling was originally confusing once I understood it I had a blast.  The bulk of the game is a tightly constrained shooter and I think it used the theme well and I found the use of historic license hilarious at times.  Everything suggests Bound in Blood is better than it so give both of them some consideration.

Strider is a fun metroid-ish game.  It's not incredible, I struggle to recall the story and I had the feeling there was some padding going on, but it's a really good time and was polished well.

Bionic Commando Rearmed: Buy it.  The ideal all remakes should strive to be.  Keeps the old design choices that made the original unique (no jumping), tight soundtrack, tight design, lots of extras.  A+ effort all around.

Giana Sisters: Not bad as a platformer with a bit of collectathon and that light/dark switching idea that was the hot new thing years ago.  For $3 I think you'd be happy if you need a platformer with a solid art style.

Abyss Odyssey: I should have liked this but I think the combat is too janky to enjoy considering it's such a core element.  I'm aware it has some depth to it but it still felt like a first draft game-jam combat attempt.  The art is great and unique though.

Transformers Devastation: Enjoyable but there's like 1/3 of a game there.  Repetitive graphics, repetitive levels/maps, repeat bosses.  Combat is fun but I sadly found that on playing Hard I had to stick with a small set of combos to not get countered.  But it's like 1/3rd the price so that might be the right level.  Just don't go in expecting a fully realized game.

Remember Me: This one is almost a miss but it has some ideas worth sharing.  The combat is weird and inappropriate but the world design is actually very nice.  The real stars are the memory sections and if they had made that the core experience it would be a recommended game.  Still, 70% off I think it would be worth it to see the world and the memory segments and wistfully imagine a revamp/sequel.

The Swapper: Solid, solid puzzle action game.  For this price, absolutely and it's crossbuy with everything.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Real hurthling! posted:

do mark of kri and its prequel/sequel rise of kasai hold up in 2016? i remember playing a bit of kri and thinking it was just an action game. anyone have strong feelings for either?

I'm quite a fan of them but I think you'll need some nostalgia help with the gameplay. They're action stealth games in the vein of a Batman or Mordor but without the modern gameplay they offer. They had some innovative ideas and after a bit you can see the early 3d action game problems they were solving or trying to solve.

I think the art style gives it a lot more leeway graphically than a lot of PS2 games would have. Outside of the flat plane geometry at times, nothing needs to be excused really. The art and presentation is almost enough to recommend it. It's just they had some gameplay ideas that were smart but ultimately clumsy.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Kilometers Davis posted:

Crackdown is the only xbone exclusive I'm jealous of. That game (and the sequel to a lesser extent) was pure fun all the way to 100% completion.

https://youtu.be/egxjuLkhXUw

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Awesome! posted:

is there some kind of movement option he is not using here?

He's actually doing things just right. Tried to keep momentum, keeping altitude, cutting corners. Just have to be persistent. I've fallen many times trying to leap a corner to head one off.

Oh, and when you memorize its route, it will change direction if you get ahead of it.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
On a whim I dropped $2 on PieceFall and I'm solidly enjoying it. It's basically 3D tetris as a one-depth puzzle game where you get a specific set of Tetris pieces and a gameboard and have to square it up. While it takes a few to get used to their limited and focused rotation controls, it's easy to just lay back and try and think your way to a solution. No big failure penalties and mostly just chill out atmosphere.

For a few bucks it's been great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vIORHIkOig

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Katana Gomai posted:

Huge EU sale, some 170ish games for PS4, PS3 and Vita. Includes good poo poo like Firewatch and Life is Strange. The latest Senran Kagura is only on sale for Vita, not for PS4 for some reason; most other multiplats are on sale on all platforms.

https://psprices.com/region-de/index

Alien Isolation collection is kind of perfect for me at $20. Looks like the sale lasts until the beginning of May so I can wait to see if there's a US sale this weekend. Otherwise dusting off my UK account!

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Trip report for Replay: VHS is not Dead. It's a pretty fun and inventive indie puzzler. It uses a single player co-op design where you move one of your people and then rewind the tape to control the other, timing actions to interact with each other. It's definitely indie but it controls well and if you're into getting Gold times, you'll need to be exceptionally well timed because they give you barely any margin of error.

It's on sale in the EU for a few more hours so check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcCVLot8P1I

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

In Training posted:

I've played Primal Rage II. AMA

I'm dying to know if it was the same kind of execution inflation like Mortal Kombat's series had. Did people figure out fatalities for PR2?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Also on sale is Not A Hero which is plenty fun for a pixel shooter. Be forewarned it is loaded with meme humor even having a dynamic meme sentence generator. But it plays well and new characters unlock briskly. The challenge conditions also make aceing a level fun and difficult.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I was loving Rogue Legacy for a long, long time.  The controls are generally tight and I found it overall a fun roguelike for the time it took to explore all of the tech tree.  After that point it started to wear because the gear lacks character once you understand how that portion works and once you get all of the branches filled out it's just numbers being added.  

It didn't help that I started Binding of Isaac near the end and really craved that kind of randomness and forced adaptation.  But I still enjoyed it a lot and it's a really good entry into Rogue Likes since it's got some really clear goals for you to aim for and it evolves the challenge nicely.

Easily got $15 of fun out of it and helped me understand and appreciate roguelikes more than others had.

Edit: I've tried so many times to get into Terraria but I hit a brick wall 1 minute into playing it when I can't hit a slime next to me because he's slightly lower than me.  If the sword could aim slightly downward toward your cursor I think I could play it but it's like you're a reverse Obi-Wan.  "I have the higher ground!  I cannot win!".

It feels like such a tiny quibble but having to work so hard to deal with a singular pixel downslope in a game that has uneven terrain everywhere is just a glimpse into a frustrating future I can't see being worth it.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 21, 2016

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
It took me a long time to understand The Binding of Isaac but for me now it's this. Although it took playing Rogue Legacy for me to understand it so the one-two combo of Rogue Legacy and Binding of Isaac for me.

Edit: best plus games that is

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Since I have a few hours to decide, how is the Dying Light Season Pass? It appears to include The Following and i know it was boosted to $30 around the time that came out and now it's $17. Is it good stuff?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Any indication of how Kerbal is controlled on consoles? There's a video that's supposed to be Xbox but it just looks like a mouse-cursor.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

morallyobjected posted:

honestly, Quest For Booty is okay as a free add on with Into The Nexus, but I'd have been just as okay not playing it after I finished, and I can't imagine paying anything for it. it's just missing a lot of stuff that makes the series good.

It's a shame since it's really well produced but it's missing all those things that made R&C games such fun to replay. Secrets, weapon upgrade ridiculousness, and a new game+ mode. I'm not sure if that stuff got cut or it was never in the plan but that game just feels so disappointing for how little more it needs to be really good.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

strategery posted:

Buy Alien Rage.

It looks kind of bad. Is there some hidden greatness in there?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

1redflag posted:

Is Not a Hero good?

I actually liked it quite a bit. It's a puzzle game at base if you try for the optional objectives and the different characters available are quite nice. The controls were tight enough my deaths were usually my own fault. I ended up 100%ing it because I was having a lot of fun completing objectives.

You have to have a tolerance for memes though. It builds sentences from randomized memes. Skippable by pressing X but whatever, I liked the idea of working for an insane murderous Mayor. Other than that caveat, really enjoyed.

Edit:

Real hurthling! posted:

anyone thinking about doing the PLAY promotion?
it's a good deal if for instance you buy Abzu and Brutal for 28 dollars and you are going to be able to spend 140 dollars or more in a single transaction between september 6th and october 4th with no preorders or plus memberships included

we'll probably just get the games down the road on sale or via plus without having to buy 3 other games on top anyway though so unless something gets rave reviews i'll probably wait

Brutal looks quite good but man it feels like a triple coin flip among the other three. Abzu might be super chill but I'm worried that no objective is going to eventually bore me. The Cirque Du Soleil fever dream seems like something but I don't even know what's going on. Headlander looks pretty standard but I like that style of game. I don't suppose you get two 20% coupons if you get four games?

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 20, 2016

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Impressions of Gravity Rush Remastered?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If I love Broforce, will not a hero scratch that itch? It seems like it might.

What I'm asking is how is not a hero?

I think they're really different genres of games. It's got gory action but it's more of a crafted twitchy puzzle game than anything else.

That said, I enjoyed it a lot with that in mind. Controls were tight and I liked the various unlockable characters. If the deal is good, give it a shot.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Absolutely enjoying the hell out Amazing Discoveries in Outer Space. It brings me back to late 80s lander games only with some nice emergent experiences. I arrived in a system and was surprised to find two planets that weren't orbiting the star. I thought it was strange but landed to explore anyway.

Suddenly a shadow crept over the planet's surface and then the other planet impacted and disintegrated. Now I'm running for my life, on fire from the incredible heat increase, trying to make it to my ship before the planet impacts the star.

Already made my $7 bucks worth.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

barren_sky posted:

I heard it was one of those really hard games? It looks fun, and I love that kind of exploring, but don't like stress.

Granted I'm just getting my toes in it but it's very calming with bursts of self imposed chaos.

The music is nice, the star fields are really beautiful, and there's something super satisfying about targeting an orbital trajectory to land you on a planet far away.

But those are countered by greed pushing you to explore an asteroid belt or doing an EVA to repair a satellite too close to the sun. There's an interplay between meeting your discovery quota to progress and fuel that's equal parts necessary gambling and "I just want to see that" feeling.

There's more of the game in store for me, clearly, but I can make 10 light years in a shortish 20 minute session so I feel like I did well and it never felt hard like other roguelikes often do out of the gate.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 27, 2016

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

barren_sky posted:

I *love* Journey, and I *love* water games, but Abzu looks like such a complete rip-off of Journey in almost every way that it kinda puts me off it a bit. I know, it has one of the original Journey guys on the team, but still. I'm sure I'll end up getting it anyways though.

That other one, Bound, is the one that gives me "me too, love me like Journey" vibes. I only bought Abzu because ib already was sold on Brutal and I zoned out and missed Headlander. How did Headlander turn out?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Lemon-Lime posted:

3 includes handy videos recapping 1 and 2.

4 also had a substantial and optional "previously on..." video archive. Plus the script itself was very friendly both to a newbie to the series and to the culture. It was often strange but they explain as you go.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

univbee posted:

Apparently, an announcement is planned for August 23rd, for PS Now being officially usable from a PC. Supposed to launch either on the 23rd or a week later depending on region.

Oh poo poo, we can recycle all those jokes about Xbox One games on pc now for PlayStation

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

axleblaze posted:

Except not really because psnow doesn't have current gen games

Saints Row 4. :colbert:

I am being silly of course. Options are best as always

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Nova 111 is a nice little puzzle game with cross buy and a nice relaxed pace.

If your PS3 is still connected, Bulletstorm is a fun shooter worth the price. Their challenge system to get creative kills was pretty engaging and not obnoxious (at least to me)

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Looking through the sale Carnage Heart Exa sparked memory and it was indeed that game where you program mechs to fight autonomously. It simultaneously sounds great and terrible and I was wondering where it actually lies on that spectrum.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I feel oddly prescient buying two years of Plus from the last sale. More like lazy though.

I still have an unjaded view of indie games so I still look at the Plus monthly games reveal like Christmas.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

BisterdDave posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. I always hear it's definitely worth playing.

I enjoyed it as well although it was way too much game and they used the system of locking enemy levels when you first entered a zone so you'd outlevel everything very easily and you could also trivialize things just by being curious and peeking into a zone.

I was tired of it by the final island but had a good time leading up to it.

Holy crap I want so much from this indie sale. Finally getting Gungeon, Republique, Invisible Inc, Risk of Rain, Electronic Super Joy. Also finding out Oddworld Stranger's Wrath isn't compatible with PSTV so picking that up for PS3. There's a bunch more I'm somewhat interested in but I went ahead and stopped. drat.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Shnag posted:

I have heard of it, but I've been holding out for a sale for it and its expansion afterbirth. Also i like my controls tight as a drum, so if its sticky that might annoy me. I'll keep my eye out for it either way though.

A tip though, I'd highly recommend playing the base game without the DLC installed because it would have made things prematurely hard if I'd done otherwise. I installed it after I accomplished almost everything in the base game and it felt just perfect.

That said, I loved Isaac and recommend that so easily. Afterbirth is quite crashy on PS4 which can occasionally reset a floor for me. It's less stable than any PS4 betas I've played so far. Another reason to delay After Birth because the base game is solid.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Dewgy posted:

UC1 is the only one that basically requires a bit of foreknowledge: Be aggressive, fire at enemies to get them to stop shooting at you, always be moving, use melee.

UC2 and later are rebalanced so that you don't have to use this strategy to make the game fun, but it's still fairly effective anyway. The original is a complete slog if you don't play it the "right" way, but pretty fun if you do.

Totally agree with this. UC2 and 3 are far more forgiving. UC1 is unfortunately designed to punish you for aimed sitting from cover. This runs completely counter to the Gears of War mentality. Very little max ammo, highly accurate return fire, very high health.

Their gameplay concept is firmly rooted in equal parts shooting and melee, often in the same enemy. You're meant to soften the enemy with ridiculously generous auto aim hip fire and punch them out. And cover is meant more for getting closer to the enemy than shooting from.

The low max ammo also nudges you into dropping the idea of a favorite weapon you carry through the game and instead using and losing constantly.

Note that the ending sequence removes most of these options and it's quite a challenge spike as a result. But it's a hell of a lot of fun to channel an 80s adventure hero who shoots a guy four times while running at him and then hits him in the face. Just remember the game hates it when you shoot from cover. Try to avoid doing that except against shotguns, who are death to run and gun.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I feel like the jetski was an out of control reactionary level redesign.

"We've got a fairly nice water tech we can show off. Maybe they go upriver in a raft and deliver some story and shoot a couple of soldiers.
Too slow, give then a jetski
They just fly though it now, add Donkey Kong explosive barrels
They keep running out of ammo, make it unlimited
It's too easy, add a hell of a lot more guys
It's too hard to hit, make it a grenade launcher
Times up, ship it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Is DQ Builders more of an adventure game with some Minecraft added in or a Minecraft game with missions? I keep reading prerelease material and I can't tell where it lands.

• Locked thread