Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crack
Apr 10, 2009
Problem description: A while ago my PC would fail to boot the first time I pressed the power button - it would switch off with a long beep some ways through booting. After 2 days or so of this, I got a BSOD at the login screen, and then when pressing power it would turn off and on again rapidly - the fans would start and stop repeatedly. I switched out the PSU and now occasionally I can get it to start once for a few seconds and the fan spins, then flickers and dies after ~10 seconds. Then it fails to start at all for some time.
Attempted fixes: What have you tried to do to resolve the problem? Stripped everything out except the CPU and motherboard, and replaced the PSU. Removed any dust, reseated CPU and applied fresh arctic silver. Removed from case and tried starting by shorting the power pins.

Recent changes: None

--

Operating system: win 7

System specs: Sandy bridge i5 on an asus p8p67.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Maybe the old PSU died and fried the motherboard and/or CPU, it would explain why starting with the old PSU resulted in rapid start/stopping whereas the new one only starts and cuts out once. In any case, I don't have access to a motherboard with the 1155 chipset or a sandy bridge processer so I don't want to replace the motherboard only to find I need to replace the processor. How can I tell which has died? There is no beeping so I'm guessing the motherboard but I want to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Crack posted:

How can I tell which has died?

No way to be absolutely 100% sure but motherboards fail way, way more often than CPUs ever do. And usually when a CPU is failing it's because of pin damage during installation or melting or it fails immediately out of the box (not after years of use).

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
Thanks, that's what I thought really, I'll pick up a new board and hope for the best.

• Locked thread