Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I remember watching some sitcom when I was little, I think the name was Out of This World. The main character was a high school girl and her mom hosed an alien I guess who maybe died or had to go incorporeal for some reason or some poo poo, so her dad was an alien who could stop time and poo poo to give her advise or whatever when she got into stupid situations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Well, now I'm going to have to watch Allen Fucknuts or whatever and love it, just to spite everyone.

I wasn't saying Out of This World was terrible, exactly, as I was pretty young and my description is about as much as I remember, but I figured with a premise that thin, it's either gold, or poo poo.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Any show specifically designed for women is usually really bad in my experience.

It really, really is. You can tell another adult is dumb by asking them if they enjoy The Big Bang Theory or The Walking Dead

I know that sounds really goony, but it's true :shrug:

This truth hurts. I know several perfectly likable, intelligent people, but their Facebook feed makes their obsession with The Walking Dead quite clear. I really tried to make it through season 1 so maybe I could chat about it with them. I tried so hard. It was very painful and I failed. I had the same problem with Lost and some other shows. It was just such horrible trash, I couldn't fathom wasting my time watching it it as popcorn entertainment, let alone anticipating episodes. I like trashy bad entertainment, I turn my brain off sometimes and watch an episode of Castle or NCIS or whatever horseshit happens to be on while I make dinner, but Christ almighty, I certainly haven't chosen one to follow. The especially bad ones are the "serious drama" network television shows that try to tell some overarching story when its clear that the writers hadn't planned more than halfway into season 1 (if even) because they didn't know if the show would make it past the pilot or even a few episodes, and had no idea if the studio would want to meddle for reasons after launch, like, "oh the one dude isn't polling high enough and is kinda similar to the popular character on the other network, kill him off." (the one dude is the main character of the show)

E: maybe part of the problem, is that I GM tabletop RPGs and also sometimes write lovely fiction, so I know when writers are stalling for time, scrabbling for ideas, and dealing with unexpected turns because I do that on a regular basis?

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 5, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Superior Bastard posted:

This show started off well, but then switched to live broadcasts int he hope that them flubbing their lines would make it funnier. The most annoying castmember is certainly Chris D'Elia, Justin Bieber's favorite comedian.

Just from the title I've read 95% of all user and professional reviews. "Unwatchable!(lol)"

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm glad the The Big Bang Theory as been mentioned multiple times in this thread, because it is an absolute garbage show. One thing I don't remember being mentioned that is one of my personal gripes with the show is how it is shot, and namely the bizarre oversaturation of colors it relies on. It's like they discovered the hue/saturation controls on their cameras and cranked that poo poo to 11. Not only is the writing complete crap, but it is also shot like a bad children's show with blown-out primary colors being the primary palette.

This is intentional. Nerds like comics, so you make it look like a comic book. It's like poetry, it rhymes!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

With Downton Abbey, I imagine the lampooning of the manor lords and their lifestyle is too subtle for a general audience that wants to believe that they'd gladly trade their own problems for those of the idle rich, drat the consequences. You can't be subtle with poo poo like that unless you're planning a long con, but if they were doing that, the reveal should have been made already. Aren't they on the final season? I've never seen an episode but I've heard the occasional snippet from my parents watching it in the living room, and I certainly hadn't gathered that it was anything but straight-faced noble worship. What I'm saying is that if it wasn't obviously mocking from accidental exposure, they weren't trying hard enough to overcome the momentum of the subject matter. Most people just want to pretend to be rich and powerful, so you have to overpower that to get a message through.

As an example, I was enjoying Orange is the New Black and started discussing it with a friend and explained that a great part of my enjoyment from the show was that Piper (and by extension, hey boyfriend) was a terrible person who deserved everything that was happening to her, and that she was by far the worst human being in a prison full of what "better society" considers scum not worth thinking about. My friend was very confused because he genuinely liked Piper, thought it was unfair that she was there and felt sympathy for all of the horrible things she had to endure due to no fault of her own. Sometimes I'm never sure if I'm reading a show right, though, because I do have some serious problems with depression which could color things a bit.

E: Piper represents a sort of modern spoiled rich kid, from what I remember

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Len posted:

I felt the same way. Piper is just a horrible awful person.

Maybe the difference we saw in Piper is I grew up the son of a military officer/doctor and so was upper middle class from birth, whereas the friend in question had started much closer to the bottom of the socio-economic ladder and worked their way up. I saw everything I hated about my "peers" in Piper, so maybe my friend just saw a successful person that they strove to be , assuming you don't examine her behavior.

I can certainly see how wanting what the main character has can help you take their side. It's easier to root for an action hero if he's handsome or strong, etc. What would be the audience reaction to an action/revenge film like John Wick, Die Hard or Commando where the "hero" was an obese goon with a face made for radio, or greasy haired meth skeleton? Change nothing else, barring perhaps substituting physicality for ambush, stealth and firepower (in place of martial arts and wire stunts) to try and suspend disbelief. I assume most viewers would see the main character as a villain, some deranged psychopath, snapping off bitter one-liners as he ends the life of another man who honestly had nothing to do with whatever vengeance is being pursued. The closest to that movie I can think of is Falling Down, but the character in that is a neutral entity, not an actively repulsive one by beauty and strength standards.

Len posted:

The show came up in conversation at work a couple weeks ago and I'm apparently the only person in the building that thinks if Piper would just mind her own business and not be so awful she wouldn't have any trouble. Sure it's jail but it's minimum security. The inmates don't even have real cells. It's not like she's in loving Oz.

Right? Keep your head down and behave and your lily rear end will be out in no time on good behavior. There's brown people waiting to fill your spot.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 7, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

tuyop posted:

Are those animus? Because seriously any anime is worse than any thing else posted here.

One of those (Gunnerkrig) is an above average comic published on the web.

E: as a caveat, I haven't laid eyes on it for five years, so this may not be true.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Don't post amazing poo poo in the terrible poo poo thread.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Mr. Belding posted:

Your post had this one part that was good and unintentionally funny so I thought you should celebrate that small victory before going back to pretending to be a dwarf or whatever.

I don't get it. :shrug:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Nah, you lot are saying LOST and BSG are poo poo just because of the ending.

Nope. I've tried to watch LOST(or as I call it, JACK!?!HAS ANYBODY SEEN JACK!?!) 3 times now over the years, none of those were ever while it was on the air and I knew/know nothing about the show. Sorry, It's meandering garbage full of obvious filler as the writers panic over still somehow having a story to tell every week. I made it a few episodes into season 2? on my last attempt. Attempt one was 30 minutes into the pilot and attempt 2 was maybe 3 or 4 episodes into season 1. Maybe I'll check Youtube and see if there's an abridged "all of the kinda sorta maybe interesting Dharma Initiative stuff, only not strung out over 60 hours of wet fart," collection.

Now, some of my problem with LOST is certainly with the format. It's a weekly show, meant to advance the plot at a glacial pace and have a cliffhanger to snag viewers for next week, and I'm watching episodes mere minutes, hours or days apart. The commercial gaps are annoying as everything is slightly recapped multiple times per episode to help catch more viewers mid episode, which is just loving irritating when those recaps serve no purpose as there are no "intermissions" on DVD/streaming. Further, the show was produced right before/during binge watching poo poo became a normal pastime and turnaround on TV to DVD seasons got much shorter, meaning each episode is written slightly differently than many shows now, to refresh the audience about what they saw a week ago, not 30 seconds ago. More narrative shows today seem to kinda split the difference these days on recap, or just put it all before the episode, since fans can find recaps and discussions on Youtube and fansites, or even the show's own web or mobile site, should they feel the need. Stuff made direct for streaming or for HBO/Showtime etc just make their shows like really long movies.

So a fan or official (not financially viable) recut of LOST might make the show palatable to the few remaining troglodytes like me that kinda want to give the show a chance. In its native form though, I find the show painful to watch.

I've never seen any of the BSG reboot, nor do I know any of it's plot, so maybe I can torture myself with that next time I feel like watching a TV series.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Yeah, I grew to like the cast of Lost during season 1, so mission accomplished. Then they did nothing for half a season but yell so I stopped watching.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

There's a difference between "worst show" and "show you like the least."

True. I wasn't necessarily staying on topic.

I can't really pick a worst show because I haven't seen it yet. I'll find it one day. Though working a hotel front desk and having 24 hour news empty chatter spewed at me all day was close.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

"Seems like the sick bastard got what was coming to him."

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

So, they air a show directly after an episode that is essentially the dvd extras for that episode padded to fill a time slot? FML

E: "Oh man, that Lucy sure had some 'splainin' to do this episode, am I right fellas?"

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 20, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I'm actually surprised we haven't seen more of it yet. Discussing and dissecting episodes online as soon as they air is now bigger than ever and I can see networks attempting to use shows like that to sway those discussions in their favor.

The only way to stop this is to ruthlessly dissect and mock the discussion shows. This could get amazingly recursive before the networks admit defeat at having an episode followed by a discussion followed by a discussion of the discussion followed by a discussion of the discussion of the discussion.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Is it ok racism once it gets to the point of like modern mocking of the Irish and Scottish or whatever? Those are two groups that I'm sure had a rough rear end time in America, but now it's kinda like calling your friend a fuckhead. Like, people are different and sometimes that's funny. I do enjoy making Midwestern racists uncomfortable when they start talking about niggers or "black people" (you have to say it in the right half whispered voice) by bringing up how worthless and lazy those loving Pollacks are. A lot of folks around here have Polish blood from way back or at least know a family or whatever. They're all thoroughly just "white American mutts" at this point, but boy do they get defensive.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Which mod account is that ginger guy?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

Now I'm thinking about the progression of sexual behavior in sitcoms, for some reason. Something like I think Dick Van Dyke had to have Rob and Laura sleeping in separate beds. The 70s-era shows there seemed to be very a lot more insinuation and cues that characters were being openly sexual in their lives as part of the plots. By the 90s we were openly admitting that characters were having sex.

You know how the 60s sexual revolution was a thing in the US? White middle class people were super sexually repressed, both an artifact of Puritanical and Victorian influence and the Christian Great Awakening. In fact, in the late 1800s and early 1900s, masturbation was seen as a scourge on mankind by the churchgoing public, causing insanity and criminal behavior in the youth. Some couples did, in fact, sleep in separate beds. You wouldn't want to shock the olds. Here, read about how Kellogg, of cereal fame, ran a masturbation rehab facility, complete with daily yogurt enemas! Bland breakfast cereals and things like Graham Crackers (originally not sweetened) were thought to curb the sexual appetite by being boring and tasting like cardboard.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

When actual US Representatives earnestly bring up concerns about whether or not an island with too many people on one side will capsize, I think it's safe to say that most of our government doesn't know how government or politics works.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

If it was good and on FOX, of course it got cancelled.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Bob Ross is a good media choice though.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

TWD just puts forward this incredibly bleak view of humanity, in a way that beggars belief. The characters just keep getting bushwhacked by The Hills Have Eyes style clans of degenerate crazies. And despite the fact that the characters have been living in the same place for awhile, scouting surrounding territories, etc. they have no intelligence/reconnaissance whatsoever and never know when the next clan of crazy cannibals is going to bushwhack them.

Like, the end of the last season, the villain reveals that he's doing exactly what would happen if society broke down, because it's the way society ran for thousands and thousands of years: he's formed a military caste that lords over everyone else. And this is presented as some stunning new idea when it should have been the norm once the zombies weren't the focus of the show. Instead, it's the Georgia Chainsaw Massacre over and over and over again.

It's worse than that. Unless a truly minuscule number of people survived the initial zombie outbreak, society would likely never totally collapse, especially with modern communication. Militias and national guard units can be called up as well as combat engineers. Emergency services might get disrupted, but doctors, medics, firemen, aren't going to abandon their posts en masse. With nothing but crude spears and fire mankind destroyed any truly impressive megafauna in North America in short order. Mobility challenged, unintelligent humans that quickly fall apart in the sun, rain, cold, and are susceptible to things like fly larvae infestations ruining their already poor durability aren't going to last long against modern tech and even rudimentary communication, let alone an intelligent creature that has distance travel as a strong suit.

Even if the government and military collapsed, crews of people from relatively stable large communities could form to divert and herd the zombies away while earthworks (say steep trenches filled with pitch a dozen layers deep) were quickly made into a kill zone away from safe havens to lead them back to. Once the final trench is reached you light everything on fire. You can do that in an afternoon with a few backhoes and a dozen people for all of the roles. Even if the fabric of Shitsville nowhere, population 650 completely dissolves, mankind still has all of the advantages over creatures that would barely be a challenge for a deer buck to kick over and stomp on. Sometimes I think the humans in zombie media deserve to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Dexter was campy as poo poo, but it was at least captivating at first, if you allowed yourself to be pulled in.

Beyond the end of season 4, though, any remnants of that dissipated very quickly.

Each episode of Dexter would have been improved by Dexter's sister swearing while she maintains eye contact with the camera for sixty minutes.

• Locked thread