Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Anyone who doesn't like Ronny Chieng has very poor taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Holy poo poo these creepy Anastasia Date commercials are still on.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

For the same reason basically anyone else in entertainment is, they balance being funny/entertaining with aggressive branding. No clue who this lady was but she seems neat.

I see her ads every now and then, and she does seem pretty funny, but I haven't seen her show.

Paul F. Tompkins is on Nightly Show! I will actually watch it.

e: Republicans going "Boohoohoo political correctness" is so gross. They don't realize how much they benefit from liberals holding back from calling them the sister-loving hicks they are, thanks to ~POLITICAL CORRECTNESS~

e2: Oh God Ricky's on the panel. Ricky is the worst thing on late night TV right now.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 5, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

haveblue posted:

I watched it last night. It's great and it's where the Daily Show's missing hard edges went.

Trevor Noah's 31 and in his first season as host. He'll get the hard edges he needs with time.

That said, yes, holy poo poo, "Full Frontal" is great.

Also as much of a snooze as "Wilmore" often is, his Cosby bit tonight was beautiful.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

Roy Wood is a treasure.

I really hated the ending of that segment, but otherwise it was pretty good. (e: for reference, I usually like Roy's other bits. Particularly the Red Lobster one he's currently doing as I write)

I really like Jordan's segment here though. I think I prefer having my mental image of Trump supporters as the absolute scum of the Earth reinforced.;)

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 12, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Charles Martel posted:

Did they like...strangle your parents to death or something?

I mean, to be fair, you're the one who thinks Ronnie Chieng's "abandoned son" schtick isn't funny, when it objectively is.:smug:

(I agree with you re - Jones though)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Dear micropenis havers: stop ruining everyone's fun.

Also I don't think Trevor needed to do the whole "no bodyshaming" thing, that was dumb.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pillow Hat posted:

It was weird. I actually disagree with you in that I think people should not be shamed for their bodies.

Nah, we're actually in agreement there - I imagine having a micropenis is probably not fun and we shouldn't make fun of people for it. I just think it's fun to imagine Hitler's life being worse than we realized it was.;)

Maxwell Lord posted:

Literally all these panelists are human pond scum.

Yeah, if we're talking Nightly Show, this is where I draw the line. Just tweeted at the show and told them i'm done watching it. I'm really, really tired of people responding to millennials saying, "Hey, if I'm working an entry-level job in the tech world, I don't expect to be rich but I should at least be able to subsist off of it!" with "Oh, your generation is SO entitled.:smug:" gently caress that. gently caress you, Baby Boomers and Gen-Xers. We graduated into the lovely job market caused by the financial crisis that your stupid asses created. We know that San Francisco's an expensive city - I grew up a half-hour away from it, and I've seen it grow more expensive. It doesn't mean that Yelp and other companies shouldn't pay their employees enough money to survive.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Yeah, tonally it was weird. I like Noah, and I think he's doing a good job in his first year, especially since Elliott Kalan stepped down as head writer. But there are a few rough edges, and that was a particularly rough one.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

FrensaGeran posted:

Please try and be the bigger person.

I don't see why he'd let it weigh him down like that.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

VagueRant posted:

I'm threadwatching to see if the show improves, or if there's any parts worth checking out. Peeps mentioned a Jessica Williams segment they liked, for example.

It's good. It's not where Jon Stewart was at his height, but it's also Trevor Noah's first season (seriously, how many times do people keep having to be reminded of this?!), and by the way, Elliott Kalan, the longtime head writer, also left the show with Stewart. So everybody who's saying it's bad needs to stop being whiny babies, because it's still a good show, and it's finding its stride. I can understand wanting to sit it out until it clicks fully into gear, but I'm enjoying it for what it is, and anyone who's screeching about it being bad needs to watch some of Stewart's first season. He didn't exactly start off at the top of his game either.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 1, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

rujasu posted:

I do think there's potential for the show to get a lot better. And yes, Stewart took years to build TDS into what we remember him for. That said, Bee is also in her first season as a host. Oliver's first season was just last year. And so far, Noah's TDS doesn't measure up to either.

Bee and Oliver have also been doing comedy in the U.S. for years, and are in their 40's. Noah's younger than me, which seems like an impossibility to me, because there's no way I could possibly be old!:ironicat: But the point is, give Noah a break. He's got a lot working against him, and the fact that he's doing as well as he is shows how much potential he has.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Mike Yard is good.

If I really, really dislike Mike Yard for his bullshit "entitled Millennials!" opinions on Thursday, will I still be able to enjoy it? This is a serious question.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Sam is great in Full Frontal, but every other aspect of the production seems like a 90s public access show. It doesn't have the polish of something like The Daily Show or Last Week Tonight.

There's a reason for that.

That being, it's TBS.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
The interfaith group thing makes me super hopeful. Love it. And the old Imam is super adorable. :3:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Echo Chamber posted:

But nearly everyone tries to play the "I'm above her" shtick. They're being disingenuous. It's quite clear they hold a certain malice towards her and the idea that she, of all people, is the avatar of everything wrong with our narcissistic media culture feels like a cover for that malice.

She's doing fine, so I'm only going to defend her so much. But people were angry that she spoke out against The whitewashing of the Armenian genocide because how dare she have something to say.

I'll cop to being annoyed with the Kardashians, although not really at Kim herself. I AM genuinely pretty disgusted with American culture for embracing the Kardashians as they have, though. I'm disgusted with Americans for being so receptive to having this factory for manufactured controversy being cynically shoved down their throats by TV execs. It really annoys me that we, as a country, only got marriage equality less than a year ago, yet I can walk into Sears or other stores with cardboard cutouts of someone who is literally only famous because she made a sex tape with Ray J, and then was offered a reality show. That's pathetic.

And yes, I'm also pretty tired of people white knighting for her. On the one hand, gently caress body shaming. I'm glad people are calling that poo poo out more often when they see it. Kim's got a great body, it's good that she's proud of it, and it's fine that she likes to show it off. But on the other hand, let's not pretend that she's anything more than a completely manufactured celebrity with no discernible talents whatsoever. She's a brunette Paris Hilton, except not quite as rich from the get-go.

In summary, I liked some of Neil Brennan's segment but really did not like other parts of it.

quote:

But people were angry that she spoke out against The whitewashing of the Armenian genocide because how dare she have something to say.

Well, that's admittedly extremely weird if people got up in arms about that. I don't care if it's Donald Trump saying the Holocaust was bad; guess what? It was. Really, really bad.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

FrensaGeran posted:

The Brennan piece was confusing because in the preamble he mentions that the Kardashians are in fact everywhere (CNN, World Star, the New York Times), but then later goes on to attempt to dispel the myth that the Kardashians are everywhere by saying theyre just in gossip mags. Which is it?

Also to claim ignoring them is easy because they're just on the internet might've been a good argument in 1995 but it's 2016 and the internet is kind of central to a lot of people's lives, especially people who fall into the age demographic of typical Kardashian fans.

I'm probably just going to swear off Huffington Post forever before long, because it seems like every day there's a new frontpage think piece on how hey, Kim is ACTUALLY a great feminist figure and role model and should be the embodiment of feminism and body acceptance - or failing that, how Jaden Smith is a hero of genderqueer aesthetic. Both of them are actually truly awful and untalented, and terrible mascots for any of those genuinely admirable and necessary causes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

FrensaGeran posted:

A forgiving reading of this phenomenon might be that society has chosen its icons, so let's try and paint these turds gold. It's not necessarily that they want to talk about Kim Kardashian over feminist icons in the Muslim world etc, it's just the realities of modern journalism have tied their hands and they have no other choice.

Since you're going to read about Kim Kardashian anyways, allow us to stealthily educate you about gender equality and slumshaming.

Ugh, if only I could believe that. But I've made the mistake of actually reading some of the pieces in question, and they're way too enthusiastic about Kim's "clapping back" at her "critics" (ie: people who dare audibly roll their eyes at her over twitter). Even so, that might have been what Neil Brennan was doing, and I like him as a comedian, so I'll pretend like it was.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Echo Chamber posted:

I hate to play the "People who complain about X are just as obnoxious as X" card... but that's the vibe I get. The thing is I don't watch the reality shows or the celebrity gossip directly. I go out of my way to avoid HuffPo. All the KimK stuff on my radar are people on my Facebook who wants everyone to know how they're above her. And I almost appreciate people trolling them, precisely because I've seen this high horse stuff from everyone who thinks they're Will McAvoy.

I would agree, were it not for the fact that now I'm seeing stolid defenses of her on The Daily Show. I mean, I know it's a joke fake news show and it doesn't always lampoon "hard news," but come on. This is just obnoxious.

And I don't care if it's a joke, don't compare her to the Mona Lisa. The fact that the woman in the painting is just known for her looks is not a good reflection of 16th century Italian social mores.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 18, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

jojoinnit posted:

I'd say no because no other reality star has come close to her level of success and saturation but if say Spencer Pratt or Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino had managed to become that famous and ubiquitous I don't think it'd be too different.

That's pretty much it, yeah.

Pillow Hat posted:

Also re KK talk, I ask this honestly: Where do you people see her so much?

She pops up at least once a day for me in my news sources. Maybe down to just once a day now that I've sworn off Salon permanently.

tbh, I think I wouldn't even mind her oversaturation that much if she wasn't being shoehorned into thinkpieces about feminism and body positivity all the drat time. There's something incredibly cynical and hollow about the way that her celebrity has been fabricated, and the fact that she's also about as empty-headed as it gets just underlines it. Bottom line: she's a lovely role model, and people should stop treating her like one.

Slate has a good piece on this too.

This has been my hot take of the night.:patriot:

e: Oh, plus there was this poo poo. Okay, now I'm done.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 23, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I'm liking this team segment with Jessica and Ronny! Also the OKCupid profile is real: http://www.okcupid.com/profile/ronnyisnotracist

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

FELD1 posted:

Yeah, that dating segment was pretty great. It made me glad I never got into online dating. drat, apparently the current dating pool is terrible and racist to boot.

I met my wife through OKCupid, but I think we were in a blessedly small window of not-too-terrible online dating. Plus we had a lot of the same friends, it turned out, so we were probably gonna meet anyway.:3:

Holy gently caress, though, did I hear the Moment of Zen correctly?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pillow Hat posted:

Years ago, my fiancee got messaged by a white guy on OKCupid and they set up a date. Before they actually went out, she was looking through the questions he had answered, and when asked if he would date someone of another race, he said no. She's black (but fairly light skinned). When she saw that, she messaged him and basically said, "Uh...I'm black. Is that gonna be a problem?" Never heard back.

Well, see? Honesty in relationships leads to good things!:angel: (in this case, dodging that bullet and ending up with you two together)

Watching "Nightly Show" because Birdy Sandals is on, and he did a full rebuttal of Ted Cruz's heinous "New York values" bullshit. I've been disappointed with Sanders more often than I'd like over the past nine months, but I still support him, and this was a good example of why. I said out loud to my wife, "where the gently caress has this guy been this whole season?!"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I've been conducting an experiment in which I watch "The Nightly Show" and fast forward every time Mike Yard and Ricky Velez speak. It makes the show almost watchable.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
This Daily Show bit on Sanders supporters is really unfair.

e: great cameo at the end though.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 6, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Nah it's funny

I'm just a little tired of everyone acting like every single Bernie supporter is just like the worst Bernouts.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

tarlibone posted:

But still, what I'm seeing out of a lot of Bernie supporters who a few months ago I wouldn't have considered extreme is an awful lot like what I've been seeing out of Trump supporters since day one: they fervently support their candidate to the point of promising to abstain from voting if their candidate doesn't get the nod, they believe that their guy will be able to deliver on his insanely unrealistic promises despite the existence of solid evidence that such plans are undeniably impossible to implement, and they're willing to say anything to "prove" that their guy is the best guy for the job, even citing sources that they'd usually fall over laughing at.

All true, but when I look at the statistics, I find them pretty reassuring: according to a recent CNN/ORC poll, 86% of Sanders supporters say they prefer Clinton over Trump. Only 10% say they prefer Trump. That's about how things broke down with the PUMA crowd in 2008. So the bottom line is, yeah, it's just a vocal minority of Sanders supporters who are ruining it for everyone else. The rest of us are pretty sane.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

tarlibone posted:

You say that, but a couple of posts up, we have Bernie Supporter A accusing Bernie Supporter B of being part of the problem, and BSA then goes on to say that he* will not vote for Hillary if she gets the nomination. If enough people have that attitude, the Democrat vote will effectively be split--just like we were all hoping would happen to the GOP vote when Trump inevitably lost the nomination and then ran as independent or write-in or 3rd party--and suddenly, you have a united party against a split one.

So at this point, we have to wonder if the more fervent Bernie supporters really are going to take their ball and go home. And if they do, they will be the ones to blame for what follows, along with the Republicans who at least were trying to accomplish something other than throwing a hissy fit.

* or she. Stupid lack of gender-neutral personal pronouns.

Well, but check out that CNN poll I posted. That's probably not going to happen, especially if 2008 is any indication. The Dems will fall in line, for the most part, because the alternative to Clinton is just too awful.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I have to say, I'm bummed that Wilmore is canceled. The show was pretty bad for a lot of its run, but it seemed to be picking up steam over the last few months, and I was pullin' for it. Oh well...best of luck, Larry.:(

IRQ posted:

Almost 2 years seems like more than enough time to find your audience or not.

The show was meant to tackle, among other things, race in the U.S., at this of all times in our history. Expecting them to figure that formula out when poo poo has gone crazy over the past two years is a really stupid expectation.

MrBond posted:

My personal take on the situation is that the nightly show never really figured out a formula that works for them, and you could tell with how often they would change the format.

A fake news panel show wasn't a bad idea but having 3 real guests clearly broke them, and it's kind of a hard concept when almost none of your target audience can even relate to the idea of Meet the Press. The sketches never really clicked for me. I can't remember the last time I saw keeping it 100, which was the most unique feature of the show.

Also Ricky Velez is not funny and also not very smart.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 16, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Love Crime posted:

up until the last few weeks it's been the lazy hair / hands / wants 2 bang his daughter poo poo. If the media (Trevor included) had from the very beginning just focused on how utterly incompetent and ignorant Donald was this never would've happened. Instead they all wanted to make stupid hair jokes while he avoided all the real poo poo that would've sunk him like it did Carson.

You haven't been watching very much. Trevor's been attacking him on real poo poo for months now.

raditts posted:

Literally none of the problems with TNS had to do with the fact that it tried to tackle race issues.
In fact, if there was any problem there, it was that they didn't tackle race issues nearly enough, and it was clear that Larry didn't give much of a poo poo about the non-race issues.

You're missing my point. The problem was that it's extremely tough to find the balance of "funny" vs. "grim/horrifying" when you're dealing with an epidemic of cops rampantly shooting young black people in the streets for little to no reason.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 16, 2016

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

raditts posted:

A lot of people seem to have a hard on for making GBS threads on Trevor for any reason, real or imagined. People in this thread have criticized him both for talking too much about Africa and not talking enough about Africa.

Yeah, but what I'm saying is that he did so little of either that finding that balance didn't even factor into the equation.

I don't know how much of that was Larry's call, though. My feeling was that he talked as much about it as Viacom would allow.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
W-ow. I've never had to restrain myself from attacking the TV screen.

That Tomi lady is the literal worst person I've ever seen.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm not surprised. Tomi Lahren is basically those Darmok aliens from Star Trek, except she only speaks in platitudes in the form of run on sentences.

Please. If any right-winger is a Tamarian, it's Dennis Miller.

"I mean, it's like [insert obscure reference] [insert obscure reference] [insert obscure reference], chachi!":smuggo:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Watching the full interview now. Holy moly, I knew Tomi was unhinged, but still, yikes.

Trevor did an amazing job. I'm so pleased with how he comported himself. I hope the rest of the media plays clips from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Michelle Wolf's bit tonight rubbed me the wrong way. (no pun intended) I agree with everything she said 100%, and some of it was funny, but ugh - I've heard this poo poo before. Yes, women should be writing the laws on their reproductive rights. loving do something about it. Get more women elected to Congress. Don't just make dumb tired jokes from the 90's about it.:ughh:

• Locked thread