Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Does anyone NOT use the classic targeting? The second I dragged my mouse off of a still-live enemy while holding the button and walked away I knew it wasn't for me. Does the default have any advantages?

Meanwhile: I recently found out while playing some ARPG (Torchlight II or Diablo 3 maybe or maybe Vermintide because that game is the true clickfest) that multiple friends were clicking for every attack. So I guess this is a PSA that you don't have to do that. Save your finger and your mouse.

Dang I didn't know about classic targeting. I guess I might switch to it even though I've gotten used to the current way.

I didn't spam clicks at least. In fact with the current targeting system I'd hold down mouse pretty much forever at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Man, even the Steam guides haven't got a soldier build, lovely or otherwise. I know there's no depth to the click-until-dead class but I just feel like it's not playing well. It does gently caress all damage and I don't have a reliable AoE for mobs. I don't particularly want to multiclass yet since I already feel spread thin at 21...

You can use Blade Arc or Forcewave as main attacks instead of Cadence. Better AoE for sure, but I dunno about single target.

I've tried both because I really don't like Cadence, and there are problems with them though. No-cd Forcewave's damage seemed bad (undertuned?) to me even considering its ranged and good AoE. Blade Arc demands energy regen on gear and it can be hard to maintain even with that once its at a high rank. Arc also kinda sucks against skeletons and other bleed immune monsters.

My favorite was Blade Arc but I only got to level 34 so idk how it is at higher levels.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
tbh I wish the game was even more respeccy because then I'd recommend going Warder with Savagery and Feral Hunger for your leftclicking melee character, but I'm hesitant as the class choice is permanent and you might not like it.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
I have a serious problem with rerolling in this game. My highest character is a 47 conjurer that just beat veteran but I'm bored of it. I dunno if I'll ever be able to stick to a character long enough to reach 85.

Also I worry about my characters being viable endgame but I don't like using other peoples' build guides. I should probably stop doing one of those things if I want to get anywhere.

Erz fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 6, 2016

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

Geokinesis posted:

What kind of weapons do you go for when you have a caster build? Guns or just ones with good stats as you shouldn't be near the enemies?

Generally you just use whatever has the best bonuses for your build if your skills don't have a specific type requirement. For a caster you'll usually use a wand/spellblade and a caster offhand.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

The Royal Scrub posted:

Looking at Devotion it seems like there are a lot of cool proc abilities, so I was going to try and focus on spamming those. Does only suff that deals % weapon damage work for procs?

Nah I think all attack skills work. Even Flashbang works and it does no damage.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

lethial posted:

With regard to pets though, I thought the 2nd pet in the shaman class is the 50-point one that is temporary (spirit beast of some sort?). My goal is to fill up my screen with as many pets as possible :P

That pet ownssss. Teleports and fucks up elites real good. It has 50% uptime so you'll usually have it up when needed.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
So I went back to one of my first characters, a 39 druid and respecced him for melee. I think Primal Strike is my favorite attack in the game, it owns.

I had no good rings for my build so I'm using two Chillsurge Rings and I gotta say the proc is great for survivability. If you have the ring and are melee it may be worth trying out even if you don't benefit from the stats at least while leveling :)

e: Anyone have a suggestion on stat points for a melee druid? I've put 30 into physique so far.

Erz fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 9, 2016

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
Wow I just got to ultimate and dropped some damage for resists but I still get owned by elites. I think I'll have to switch to a ranged build while I gear up. :(

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
From level 50 to 80 I only found 5 legendaries. Seems like itd take forever to get the ones that are actually useful for your character. Or maybe im unlucky, or the story isn't a good way to get them or something.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
Just beat ultimate Log with my first char and it was actually much easier than vet/elite for me.

Over the last couple of days I had some good drops, and worked on optimizing my gear and devotions (and farmed manticore eyes for 4 loving hours). I ended up being able to facetank almost everything and do decent damage, around 18k sheet dps with Savagery up (idk how that compares to other builds though).

Fun game!

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

Dahbadu posted:

Your character looks pretty sweet. Feel free to share your build.

http://grimcalc.com/build/rz8U9K

The skills are not exact because of bonus points on gear, but I think it shows the general idea. If you're lacking points then you can go 5 less mastery in Arcanist, less Flash Freeze, 1 point elemental exchange, etc.

The devotions are exactly what I have now. Before today I had Ulo instead of manticore for the resists, but I managed to cap resists without it so I switched. Unsure about manticore though as I dont think it stacks with viper.
I basically used devotions as a source of resists, health and healing because I was getting owned in ultimate early on. I'm sure I could sacrifice a bit of defense at this point for more offense but changing devotions is annoying as gently caress so I'll probably just leave it and enjoy being tanky.

I switched to a caster build early in ultimate for like 5-10 levels. Once my resists were decent due to faction augments and devotions I went back to melee and it was pretty ok from then on. I think I got fairly lucky with item drops though so mileage may vary.

e: I started the game with Primal Strike as my main attack and I think its the better choice when enemies die fast, its aoe is great.

Erz fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 12, 2016

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
Yeah its ultimate. A few of my items are almost purely defensive like the amulet and medal, and all my augments are resists. Took some experimenting with devotions/augments/gear/materia to find the combination that let me max everything (except bleed :(). Most of my resists are just barely above the max so there isnt much wastage.

e: By the way, my armor, DA, and physical res are all pretty bad so I can get wrecked by certain melee enemies if I let myself get surrounded or am taken by surprise against some fast melee elites or something. If only a few are attacking me at once though my high health and healing keep me safe.

Erz fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 12, 2016

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

Mr Scumbag posted:

I got this game 1 - 2 years ago I think and have just picked it up again and have a couple of questions:

Are there respecs? This pretty much decides how experimental I am in these games.

There are respecs but the cost goes up. It costs me 5k per point on my main which is ridiculous and sucks so i cant really respec much anymore. YOu can experiment quite as lot though, I just tried too many builds. You also cant respec stats or mastery points, just the individual skills and devotions.

I was leveling a soldier but now I think I'll make anotehr shaman using ranged Primal Strike lol. Probably a druid again even though I have one at 85, like i said i cant really respec and also i put no points in cunning for ranged weapons :(

e: oh my god yesss they added completed shrines to the map. I added them up and my soldier had 19 instead of the 20 he should have and I couldn't remember which it was :)

e: oh my god I just threw a vendor white rifle on a low level shaman I had and tried primal strike. OWNS!

Erz fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 14, 2016

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
It seems like movement speed is capped at 130% now. Yesterday my soldier was up to 147% :(

e: maybe they increased base move speed though?

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
I'm amazed they buffed the arcanist's Flash Freeze. Its kinda ridiculous now on enemies it works on.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
Gonna delete my save and play from scratch for the release patch. Making yet another SHaman cuz i freakin love shamans. No idea on second class yet, just gonna wing it :)

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

I've only played a melee character to like level 15, the annoying thing is having very limited AOE and thus trash clearing speed compared to Devouring Swarm or O's Flash Freeze. Ring of Blades or whatever is nice but very short range and has a cooldown. What's the best way for dualwielding tricksters to clear large groups of trash, is there a specific component or item-granted skill that most people use?

No idea how it'll stack up endgame, but I'm currently playing a Trickster thats mainly focusing on bleed and its going well in elite so far.

I started with Devouring Swarm and put the Falcon Swoop devotion on it asap, then later switched it to the Huntress Rend devotion. Then I maxed Nightblade mastery and got the summon skill, followed by the dual wield skills. Which order you get stuff in depends how much you want to melee, procing Rend with Swarm is the most important thing for killing stuff really. You can use Savagery for melee but I'm currently using the Mistborn Talisman relic to save skillpoints.

I went with this build because I got a few Trickster bleed legendaries on my first char, so there is gear supporting it. The AOE is awesome but a lightning build might be way more single target damage and ultimately stronger on ultimate :)

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
So I'm with Death's Vigil on my Witch Hunter, but I forgot about this augment that only Kymon offers. It has a 10% chance to reduce enemy damage by 20% for 5sec.

I attack fast so I feel like this effect would work quite well. I'm on ultimate and this is my last chance to switch to Kymon. I should do it right? I haven't seen anything this useful on the Vigil vendor but I may have missed something.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
Welp after farming a bunch of SoT I finally rushed through the story and beat Log with my Witch Hunter. Leveled mainly as acid/poison but once I had a lot of skillpoints and was able to equip the high level gear I had stashed it made more sense to focus on chaos/vitality.

I have a feeling some of the other Nightblade classes might be a bit stronger overall, but Witch Hunter is definitely viable for everything in the game once geared up.

Heres my stats with Abominable Might up, p good dps lol:

Without Abom my dps is like 38k.

TBH it feels like more effort to farm with this char than my Druid, but I used my druids relic to make this one and stole a bunch of his gear sooo I guess i"ll just stick with the Witch Hunter.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
I farmed like 50 treasure troves and ended up with 11 legendary, 18 epics and a lot of blueprints and of course rare crafting mats. I guess I'll stop now cause its pretty boring and dumb. I can probably go craft like 5 more legendaries with the mats I got also.

I got this and the blueprint for this so I'm strongly considering making a 2h cold build lol. The sword has +skills for shaman but they don't really have any cold skills so I'm not sure what to pick along with Nightblade, either shaman or arcanist I guess. Shaman does have some nice passives and wendigo totem so idk.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
Hmm maybe I should farm more troves before I quit the game and patch :)

Erz
Sep 9, 2004

seravid posted:

Got 1k health regen on my Witch Hunter and it doesn't cut it at all on Ultimate. Got to hit and run (which makes sense for a poison-based assassin, I suppose), or I die in three seconds.
Lifesteal would probably work better (most builds on the official forums seem to use double lifegiver rings), but it's much harder to get up to a decent percentage.

My Witch Hunter has 37% life steal so I'm good as long as I'm hitting something. I use a Haunted Steel for an extra 30% when I really want to tank something tough. Main item you need is Crimson Spike, it gives 25% total if you keep the buff up (I macro it cause I'm lazy).

The issue with lifesteal is getting frozen or stunned etc.

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
I'm currently playing my first HC char which is a gun shooter, and I just got my third legendary and its Silverbolt. Biggest upgrade ever, my dps almost doubled after I reassigned a few skillpoints. Gonna be mad if I die now!!

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
Figured I'd post my latest char to beat the game and farm BoC. Its a 2h Blade Arc build:

http://grimcalc.com/build/8ZwFvz with +5 soldier skills

I actually got this guy to elite a long time ago as pure soldier, but had trouble choosing a secondary class so I shelved him. Decided on Occultist for -% phys resist debuff plus atkspeed and OA buffs. I think Demo would have also been a good choice and better defensively.

My gear is close to BiS but theres no items absolutely required for the build and I had no trouble leveling.

1h/shield works fine with this but you lose a ton of dps because of Kraken devotion. With my gear I have 38% physical resist and good defensive stats so theres not really any reason to use a shield, but with lesser gear it could be useful to switch to one in certain situations.

I've tried Cadence and transmuted Force Wave and they aren't very good compared to Blade Arc, so if you want to play a soldier-focused build I'd def go with Arc.

Anyways, this build probably isn't the strongest ever but I can confirm Blade Arc is ~ultimate viable~ and pretty good damage once geared!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erz
Sep 9, 2004
Anyone have an opinion on shields? I think they were really strong when i last played but idk if thats still true.

Currently playing a bleed Warder with The Guillotine 2h but I just got a Mythical Butcher of Burrwitch. Lose about 30% damage on my Blade Arc's bleed switching to 1h/shield atm but maybe its worth it for the defense?

Will require some respeccing to switch so just wanna be sure shields don't suck rear end before I do. Thanks!

e: nevermind I went ahead and switched to 1h/shield and the answer is shields make you insanely tanky i guess. Damage is still fine as well, so cool.

Erz fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 13, 2017