Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That’s fine, I’ll drag my brother to hole-in-the-walls, get plastered, then hit up Dotonbori.

Also I have decided to drag the family to Super Nintendo Land on Halloween. Like c’mon, as if I’d pass up THAT opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pollyanna posted:

That’s fine, I’ll drag my brother to hole-in-the-walls, get plastered, then hit up Dotonbori.

Also I have decided to drag the family to Super Nintendo Land on Halloween. Like c’mon, as if I’d pass up THAT opportunity.

You'll have to book in advance, just FYI.

As for your bros bday: get drunk.

Japan is a great place to drink. No one gives a poo poo. Walk around chugging beers or a bottle of wine. Who cares.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I can't imagine Dotonbori doesn't have halloween stuff going on. On the weekends it was a better party town than a lot I have been in and it's kind of overflowing with mostly bad but some good clubs. The streets and especially popular intersections are just a clutter of drug sales, touts, costumed girls urging you to shady buildings and other shady elements and just drunk people looking to have a good time. It's more or less what a young traveler is looking for with friends or similarly aged relatives.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

It’s sad that Japan doesn’t have a good dedicated clubbing and nightlife district for young people. Everything is just other one off bars and pubs for old people or really far from anything else, even shibuya is so spread out it feels like you’re forced to stay at one club all night basically

The closest thing that existed was ageha because it was always packed and it was huge but that was also in the middle of nowhere. I wish there was a Hongdae-style area like in Seoul.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

You and everyone else. It seems like the Nintendo area is small and gets cramped and is still popular. Plan accordingly and don’t be all :stare: when it’s a wall of humanity.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Don't do USJ on Halloween unless you absolutely love gigantic crowds.

edit: the flip side of this is that if you want to experience USJ then Halloween is one of the best times to do it.

Charles 2 of Spain fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 20, 2024

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

USJ ON HALLOWEEN

USJ will probably start its Halloween decorations in September, so you don't need to wait for 10/31 to get the decorations.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

The festival food at Senso-Ji in Asaka today is great, okonomiyaki for only 700. Lots of options

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Pollyanna posted:

:hmmyes: I know where we’re going this October!

Edit: OH poo poo WE CAN GO TO USJ ON HALLOWEEN does it do anything fun on Halloween?????????

Also we’re gonna be in Japan for my brother’s birthday, any suggestions for a birthday celebration?
I was there for Halloween last year. A teddy bear sang about death and birth being the same I think with an uronic banger of a song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIY8apbhzK8&t=790s

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Hopping on a plane today to spend two weeks mostly in Shikoku. Wooo!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Nice NICE Nice

Fantastisk
May 19, 2011

After a long night of hooking, trade didn't like the session, so he had gutted me and set me on fire, but, you know, I didn't die. I had crystallized, and now I'm a glamazon bitch ready for the runway.
Hello thread! I am currently in Japan with my boyfriend and absolutely loving it! We're meeting up with a group of friends who also happen to be visiting Japan. Do you have any recommendations for an izakaya in Kyoto with good food, good drinks, and maybe private rooms that can accommodate 6 people? Bonus if they have karaoke!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Fantastisk posted:

Hello thread! I am currently in Japan with my boyfriend and absolutely loving it! We're meeting up with a group of friends who also happen to be visiting Japan. Do you have any recommendations for an izakaya in Kyoto with good food, good drinks, and maybe private rooms that can accommodate 6 people? Bonus if they have karaoke!

Not an izakaya but two bars you need to go to in Kyoto are Jazz in Roku, small smoky jazz bar that you'll never forget https://maps.app.goo.gl/cWHed7Fzf6NtcJhS7 and Beer Bar MIYAMA https://maps.app.goo.gl/7aDFx21RQWXxx28S7, the bartender speaks English and is cool as hell and it's a real friendly atmosphere. Have fun!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I saw they’re banning tourists from a geisha district in Kyoto because people won’t stop violating their physical autonomy and keep touching them.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I'm in a weird spot with wanting to attend a concert when I visit in a few weeks

https://eplus.jp/sf/detail/0020530001-P0030209

It looks like it's lottery based and I can't sign up with a foreign address.

I wouldn't mind paying inflated after market prices but I have no clue how to go about that even when they do come up for GA sale. I gather it's a pretty big show with high demand

Anyone familiar with this vendor, venue, aftermarket that could walk me through it? Happy to buy an av or something :10bux: for the trouble

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

cheese eats mouse posted:

I saw they’re banning tourists from a geisha district in Kyoto because people won’t stop violating their physical autonomy and keep touching them.

Side streets in Gion, the main drag will still be open but the alleys are now off limits. Taking photos after being asked not to is also a driver.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

root of all eval posted:

I'm in a weird spot with wanting to attend a concert when I visit in a few weeks

https://eplus.jp/sf/detail/0020530001-P0030209

It looks like it's lottery based and I can't sign up with a foreign address.

I wouldn't mind paying inflated after market prices but I have no clue how to go about that even when they do come up for GA sale. I gather it's a pretty big show with high demand

Anyone familiar with this vendor, venue, aftermarket that could walk me through it? Happy to buy an av or something :10bux: for the trouble

Concerts and events in the Japan are hardcore anti-scalping and you can't even buy tickets on the after market. You will need to hire some Japanese person to buy tickets in your name for you.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Or a goon.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

If anyone in Japan with an eplus account would be willing to proxy purchase for me, DM please. GA sale starts Apr 6th at 10:00.

I can PayPal or similar in advance and would be happy to pay for your time and effort too!

Edit: Posted to the LAN thread too. Thank you for the heads up!

root of all eval fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 26, 2024

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Do all the larger cities have a 5pm bell or just Tokyo?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Planning a trip to Fukuoka and staying in the vicinity of Hakata Station. Any recommendations for good restaurants? Fancy or cheap or anything in between. I usually check the Michelin guide to find things but it's pretty sparse for the area and mostly has Kaiseki/Sushi which (while delicous) I'll be eating a lot of already.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

lampey posted:

We have a tune that plays at 6pm here in Hiroshima

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

lampey posted:

Most cities and towns of any size.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

lampey posted:

Everybody does, it’s actually a regular test of the emergency broadcasting system.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Virtue posted:

Planning a trip to Fukuoka and staying in the vicinity of Hakata Station. Any recommendations for good restaurants? Fancy or cheap or anything in between. I usually check the Michelin guide to find things but it's pretty sparse for the area and mostly has Kaiseki/Sushi which (while delicous) I'll be eating a lot of already.

Hakata ramen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Hakata Station area is not all that great IMO, I stayed near there and always went somewhere else to find good stuff. It's not a huge distance but if you can find a hotel for the same price around Tenjin/Tenjin-minami I'd stay there instead.

And yes eat ramen until you die. I liked Hakata Genki Ippai the best. If you go there I advise not getting chashu, it's just fat and the soup has more than enough fat in it, it adds nothing. Ganso Nagahamaya is good plus interesting since it's a ramen style that exists in just a single neighborhood. Ramen Stadium has long lines but having that many options in one little area is neat. The yatais are also fun, again, lots of long lines so you unfortunately can't stall hop, at least at the main Nakasu area. There are other yatais around town that are much less crowded.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 27, 2024

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I always eat tacos at el Borracho at the top of Hakata station.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I also recommend Motsunabe and Udon around Hakata station and Fukuoka. Motsunabe is a harder one to find (well done) outside of Japan.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just came back from spending a few weeks in Japan, did about 10% of the things I wanted to do, guess I'll have to go back next year! Also it's wild how much better almost everything is than the things in my home country.

Came home with the worst cold I've had in a decade, they even have better infections/viruses

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Glad it was fun.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
anyone bought Urakita mugs before?

https://urakita.ocnk.net/product-list/69

This is in I believe pre-order status but I also see a pick up tag? Anyone know how that works. I have no idea where they are based (I am outside Japan and can't read without google lens)

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

They're in Tokyo I think. I guess pick up might mean you can get it from them directly but you'll have to wait at least 5 months after you order something and they can't guarantee when it will be ready.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

No, "pick up" here means you have to pick up the guy who makes them, at a bar.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I am going to Japan for the first time (alone) in May, 8th-28th. Other than a ticket to Ghibli Park I was able to nab (the 9th) I don’t have any concrete plans yet. I have free accommodation in Tokyo through a family friend so I’d like to spend a lot of time there, but I at least want to spend a few days each in Osaka and Kyoto.

Does anyone have any recommendations of what to see, or good resources of them? I’m a disgusting nerd so I want do stuff like see Akihabara, as well as Kabukicho and Dotonbori (because of the Yakuza games). But despite my weeb inclinations I’ve realised I don’t really have any grasp of the tourist sights in Japan. Are there any decent ideas for cities/towns beyond the big three to visit? I’ve been looking around but there’s just a colossal amount of possibilities I’ve seen and no real way of deciding between them. I can’t drive btw, so remote mountain towns are probably out.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What do you want to do?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nakano Broadway in Tokyo and Den Den Town in Osaka are your missing weeb centers. Otherwise yeah it'd help to have more info on what you're interested in. Tokyo alone has enough stuff to fill a lifetime without even coming close to doing it all.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Flea market will still be happening

https://tokyocheapo.com/events/ohi-racecourse-flea-market/20240504/

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

We'll have some overlap with those dates and intend to check out a day of the sumo grand tournament. It's in Tokyo at that time, May 12th-26th.

We watch on NHK World streaming but it seems like a cool cultural event anyway. :kiddo:

Unlike concerts the ticket buying prices seems foreigner friendly.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations of what to see, or good resources of them?

Fast and easy day trips from Tokyo:

• Kamakura
  • Enoshima (often combined with Kamakura)
  • Hakone (Romancecar + bus to Ashinoko + pirate ship)
  • Lake Kawaguchi/Fuji Lakes (highway bus)
  • Kawagoe
  • Nikko (also probably highway bus)

I’m sure there’s more I’m forgetting, but those are definitely The Hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delita
Jan 6, 2005
Go see the Gundam