Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
The last time I was in Japan on a month long study trip in college. It was mainly in the Nagoya/Seto area, though we visited Kyoto/Nara/Hiroshima too on home stays in the last one and in Seto too. I'm not sure if I can change up my plane tickets to add a couple additional days or not tbh. We're set to fly out of here at 7:45 on July 9th, land in Haneda at 4PM on the 10th with the return being on July 22nd with an overnight in Chicago cuz it was cheaper to come back a day earlier.

Basically yea, Tokyo was a place I did not visit so I def want to atleast see what I can of it.

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

leather fedora posted:

Shimo-Kitazawa is really chill. Great food, tons of small venues, and more second-hand clothing shops than you can visit in a week.

Last I checked, Kirby Cafe was at the Tokyo Skytree, and they do online reservations that tend to fill up weeks in advance. If you have a weekday free, that'll be your best bet, but definitely check it out once you have trip days set.

Yea I've been told to try and book it there a month in advance minimum.

Like I said, I'm now just wondering if it's a better idea to try to do multiple Tokyo area stops in a day (a day for enoshima/kamakura or such) or just do one at a time and spend the whole time there. I have...yea plenty of time to figure out but I always end up thinkin of all the options before things actually happen haha.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Zettace posted:

My take on Tokyo: Tokyo is unique in that it's actually a bunch of cities mashed together as one which kind of makes the different areas of the city all kind of feel samey if you're just wondering around as city centres usually contain the same things.

However, Tokyo is so huge that it has a million things tucked away in corners so there's tons of stuff to do but you need to know where they are. This means it's best to find a bunch of stuff to do first and then plan your itinerary around going to and doing those things instead of just wondering around. I personally wasn't a fan of Tokyo until I started doing this.

Is it okay if I ask some recommendations in PMs and such so I'm not just clogging up the thread again? Either personal recommendations of places or like..websites that feature that kind of stuff to research? I feel more and more I'm biting into something way bigger than I expected :nyoron:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Gotcha haha . Sorry just self conscious that I'm babbling too much since it's a bigger trip than I've ever really planned before. I definitely appreciate all the help

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Related to my interests actually, anyone know of any good vintage toy type shops where you might find Transformers and the like? I've seen Nakano Broadway's Mandarake location mentioned but if you all know something along those lines that might be a bit smaller, I'm curious to know.

I'm assuming Akiba is a good place to start but yea curious if you all are familiar with any offhand.

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 25, 2023

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Grand Fromage posted:

Mandarake is the big one, there are a lot of them around with different stuff. Book Off is worth checking. There are also lots of consignment shop places where people rent out a little cube to sell, I'm not sure what the Japanese name for them is to search but there are a ton in Akiba.

I think they might be called Recycle Shops? I looked it up and that's one of the terms that came up.

Femtosecond posted:

Just having finished my Tokyo trip I feel like logistically it felt like it would be hard to visit more than two neighbourhoods in a day and even then it's probably best to do just one per day to not feel super stressed and tired by travel. Like it's ok if some places are right next to each other but travelling by train all over the city isn't much fun.

On my recent trip I spent pretty much all day wandering around Kichijoji for example. Another day I spent the morning wandering around Daikanyama and meandered into adjacent Nakameguro in the afternoon.

One of the days where I did the most hopping around the city was one where I went to a modern art museum, then took the train to Akihabara because it was relatively close by, then went back to my hotel in Shibuya for the late afternoon, early evening.

I really enjoyed the day trip to Kamakura and I feel it's well worth it. Def a place you could spend all day.

I'll definitely keep this in mind too. Thanks!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
So...would any of you recommend trying to get some chanko nabe whilst on a Japan trip? Anything one should look for like..which Tokyo burb is gonna have the good stuff haha

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Asteroid Alert posted:

Ryogoku is your best bet. That's where all the sumo stuff is, so chanko restaurants are a-plenty.

Thanks! I'll research stuff there!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
My roomie suggested a potential thing for trip next year and I am curious on it, especially since google seems to be contradictory in this instance. How hard is it to get tickets to a Takarazuka Revue show when you don't live in the country? It looks like they have a Tokyo theater but Google also says it's closed but..the website has tour dates so..???

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

Oh well that works out LOL. Appreciate it~

Another question since it's come up. Have any of you registered for a Wise/Transferwire account? I've been told you can kinda load up basically before coming in and use it like an ATM card? IS that advisable? I feel like I could put some cash away on it each month to use for my trip and all.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I'm gonna assume getting jouzu'd is the equivalent of "Aww you did so well~" pat on the head type of thing haha.

Also signed up for this wise card thing. Gonna just add a bit of yen to it each pay check and use as a lil vacay fund.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
This is a silly question for Japan but you definitely still need to bring a handkerchief for drying your hands after washing right?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Have any of you all been or stayed in Kamata? Is it recommended? Mostly my work has a hotel there and am wondering if I should see if I can get my employee discount at it but if there's better areas to stay maybe I shouldn't?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

peanut posted:

Kamata is for commuting, not tourism, but there are a lot of restaurants in the station area because 3 lines cross/start there. You can get an authentic experience.
The Keihin-Tohoku line is parallel to the Yamanote line, so if the price is right, it's not bad at all.

Oh nice I might have to look into it then if it makes it easy to commute around to all the diff Tokyo areas we wanna hit up then. Still building the plan of what we wanna do but it's not til July so yea. Thanks!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

mongolia posted:

Yes it is a very nice area I would live there

It looks like it's also super close to Kamata station and Bourbon road so we might set up there as our base of operations for a good portion of the trip. Might wanna stay a night in a couple other places though.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
We've got our hotels set for Japan next summer so now it's down to just figuring out what we wanna do/when we wanna do it~

Flying in on July 9th to Haneda, landing the 10th. Then we'll stay in Kamata til the 16th before heading to Numazu for 2 days. Then back to Kamata on the 18th before returning on the 22nd. Then we're stuck in Chicago for a night but that'll give us time to decompress a bit and get used to US timezone again.

I think we might try to hit up Enoshima on the way back from Numazu since it's kind of a side jaunt but we can hop back up to Kamata from there.

Are there any interesting spots related to youkai that y'all know of in the Tokyo era that aren't crazy out of the way? I know there's the Kappa-dera one..

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 19, 2023

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Has anyone been to the Ramen Museum in Yokohama? Curious if I should put it on places to check out next summer.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I mostly heard about there being a bunch of ramen you can try but it sounds like there might be better places to try that out in the end haha.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I'm glad to hear that cuz we're flying out on ANA from Ohare to Haneda. Have to fly United from here to Chicago but it's only an hourish so.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
This might be a silly question but what are some good sites to look at to research places to visit? I know Japan-Guide is pretty good but a lot of these other sites feel like I'm reading the same travel blog over and over. Maybe that's just the way things are?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Appreciate the suggestions, I'll have to check the sites out and look into some potential youtubers~

Also yea is it better to use card or cash while you're there?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I've been loading up that Wise card I got here and there for prep so I can atleast use it at an ATM and it's got the yens already there for me. Good to know though.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Again, def appreciate all the help with this stuff~ Are there any recommendations on how much you should try to take with you for a 12ish day stay? I guess it all comes down to how much you wanna spend on souvenirs and such really.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Thinking of maybe hitting up Yokohama for a day trip when we're there next summer. Any hidden gems any of you could recommend there? I kind of wanna see if I can find the Arc Systems offices and just go "Wow Sol Badguy works there!" (Please note I do not want to actually interrupt any people working there I just think it'd be cool to see a game studio I like's office from outside)

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Is there a good JR site which lists all the train station's hours and the like? I wanna see ahead of time when the last train back to Kamata is and such.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Awesome thanks~ I know my trip isn't for a while I just wanna have all the information I can beforehand cuz I don't wanna have to end up stuck in the city missing the last train and having to taxi back or something. I have learned I want to take the Kamata station in to Tokyo and not the Kamata Keikyu one it seems.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I think I'm gonna hit up Chen Kenichi's spicy mapo tofu chain in Kiba during a day trip to Odaiba. They seem pretty close by train or even car and seems like it'd be a fun thing to try out.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Curious if any of you all are into heavy metal music? Roomie kind of wants to hit a record store while we're in Tokyo and just curious if you all have any recommendations?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Appreciate the suggestions, will def pass them onto my roomie!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
For my trip I'm stayin at the Hotel Oriental Express in Kamata and the Riverside Hotel Numazu. They seem to be pretty good from the ratings I see on google?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Is Google the best site to look for restaurant recommendations while in Japan? I kinda wanna look into some sushi places like..wanna have one really good sushi experience while there you know? Just wasn't sure if Japan has their own TripAdvisor or similar site for food.

Still Tokyo planning for July, thinking of seeing what non city stuff to do nearby like maybe some countryside hiking or the like.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Thanks for the suggestions y'all~ I guess uh..I'll ask for maybe sushi places you'd recommend then maybe? Like..our hotel is in Kamata but we'll be hitting up Akiba/Shibuya/Asakusa/Yokohama/Kawakura prob Shinjuku uh..probably don't wanna spend like $100 but a $70ish total bill would probably be good lol.

totalnewbie posted:

FWIW, when making reservations through tabelog, a lot of the information has to be formatted the Japanese way so I had to make up fake numbers in some of the fields and enter the correct information in the comments section. That aside, I've been able to reserve through tabelog from overseas without any issue the couple times I did it.

That said, unless you're really familiar with sushi, you're probably just fine asking for a recommendation here or something like that.

Your dates already set? I see you said earlier you're coming back the 22nd which would be a shame, because Fuji Rock is the weekend after and always a good time. And I always try to rope invite people to come with me (managed over 30 last year :D )

Yea we're there from July 10th through the 22nd. My bad :nyoron:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

slinkimalinki posted:

The good thing to do with Google restaurant reviews is flip to sort by newest review and look at what proportion of the reviews are in english. If most of the recent reviews are not in Japanese, you know you're looking at a place that's tourist dominated and can decide if that's what you want (may not apply to restaurants near universities that are popular with homesick postgrads etc)

Thank you for this tip haha. I dunno how close to any universities I'll be but it's good to know.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
I'm not planning on any guided tours, are me and my roomie gonna get hassled for wandering around Tokyo :x?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Haha my brain was too focused on work/unnecessary worrying about routine blood work to notice the sarcasm. My bad!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Are there any places you all might recommend that would be good for an out of the city day trip near Tokyo? I got recommended potentially Hakone but I think I kind of wanna be a little closer..something to just have maybe a hike or a more chill experience than walking around big buildings every day. Also I dunno if hiking is good in July to be honest haha.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

BioTech posted:

Kamakura
Close to Tokyo, all sorts of temples, no high buildings, next to the ocean.
The Daibutsu hiking trail is short and sadly the amazing terrace on it closed down, but there are half a dozen different loops you can add if you want to walk more.

I was actually thinking of checking out Kamakura and Enoshima on our way back from Numazu. Will def look into it more since they look pretty close to each other and might be able to do both in a day before going back to our hotel in Kamata.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

harperdc posted:

Nikko is a bit farther, and takes a couple changes of trains, so if you can find either a direct highway bus or car it'd be much easier. I've been looking at what to do when family visits again this year, that's why it's on my mind.

Kamakura is pretty great, just absolutely take the train there and not a car. the little Enoshima Enoden train line runs between the different spots you'd want to hit, and goes from either Fujisawa or Kamakura station to get back to civilization. Enoshima and Kamakura would be a fun full day.

I don't think we have any plans to drive in Japan so it's good to know that getting around on the trains there will be a easy sounding experience. The only thing is figuring out what to do with luggage. I've heard of luggage forwarding services, could we have them get our stuff in Numazu and take it to our hotel in Kamata? Or would we be better off just having it around us all day?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

peanut posted:

It's always worth it to mail your suitcases. Your hotel might be able to arrange it with Sagawa/Yamato, or you can just take your whole suitcase into a post office or (most national chain convenience stores).
If you're doing Kamata → Numazu → Kamata you can also ask the hotel to hold your big bags during your side trip.

I'll definitely look into that because yea I could bring a smaller bag for just the 2 day journey and all. Thanks for the help and suggestions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Like really the only stretch with our luggage moving much of anywhere would be like..Haneda to our hotel in Kamata (which is a like 15 or 20 min train ride, if that), Kamata to Numazu and back. Worse comes to worst, we could store it at a coin locker area or something in Kamakura for the day then pick it up on the way back to Kamata?