Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

extravadanza posted:

1) Any recommendations on food or stuff to do in Nagoya that I haven't done yet? Or even Kariya for that matter (seemed like a small town with no tourism, so probably not)... The Castle was under heavy construction when I visited in 2012, so maybe it's worth seeing now that it's complete? I'm not sure.

3) It sounds like I will miss out on the Cherry Blossoms, will I see any bloom before I leave on the 25th?

Thanks for your time reading this.

You are too early for Cherry blossoms, but you should be able to hit the end of plum blossom season. The Nagoya Agriculture Center(https://www.google.com/maps/place/N...6bc334d05e76b7f) has a beautiful plum grove.

It probably is worth seeing Nagoya castle again if you last saw it in 2012, since now you can tour part of the wooden palace that is currently under reconstruction.

Also, Nagoya is like 35 minutes from Kyoto by bullet train, so there is no reason you can't visit there on a day off, even coming from Kariya I think you are only looking at about 1 hour of travel time.

AFAIK, Kariya doesn't have much going on except a really awesome lantern festival during the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

netcat posted:

I did Cocos curry three days in a row because I was lazy but I enjoyed it each time

So did your colon just pack it's bags and leave after the third time?

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Elliptical Dick posted:

Hello Japan goons, I'd like to ask for some tips for a 7-day trip to Japan. I'm going to be in Tokyo on business in January and have arranged to be free to explore for 7 days after the work concludes. I'm currently looking at buying a 7-day JR pass and traveling by Shinkansen to Kyoto and Hiroshima. Bit of a broad question maybe but does that sound like a good use of my time or do you guys have any ideas on how to better use it? Also is the pre-bought JR pass the way to go if you want to travel by train?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Presuming you are flying back from Tokyo, then yes the 7 day pass is worth it. If I were to plan a trip I'd get the horrible long rear end train ride over first, so I'd get a very early Tokyo to Hiroshima train, then see the city. Wake up early the next day to hit up Miyajima. Next day go to Himeji, then to Kyoto in the evening. The rest of the time you stay in Kyoto because there is a lot to see there, plus you can easily day trip to Nara, Osaka, and Kobe.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Argona posted:

Anyone have recs on tokyo/kyoto hostels or cheapo hotels?

Kyoto:

K's House
〒600-8142 Kyōto-fu, Kyōto-shi, Shimogyō-ku, Nayachō, 京都府京都市下京区土手町通七条上る納屋町418

This is a typical hostel with dorm style rooms and 2 person privates if you are traveling with a partner. It has a nice common area and laundry facilities, however their WiFi was unreliable when I was there in 2014. The location is decent, maybe 10 mins walk to Kyoto station and 5 to the nearest station on the Keihan line.

Kotoya
〒601-8406 Kyōto-fu, Kyōto-shi, Minami-ku, Kaikōjichō, 南区戒光寺町186

This place is a little bit pricier, but if you are traveling with a partner I recommend it. The rooms are small furnished apartments so you actually have a decent amount of space as well as cooking and laundry appliances. It's about a 5 minute walk from Kyoto Station.

I've stayed in Kyoto quite a few times and these two places were the best, though I've stayed in a few other decent places. One place I'd avoid is Piece Hostel. The rooms are tiny, and the walls and floor are bare concrete, which gives you the feeling that you are staying in a penitentiary rather than a hotel.

I've only been to Tokyo once so I'll leave the recommendation there to another goon.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Mandalay posted:

What do you feed the deer? Heading out to Nara today for a day trip from Osaka.

There are vendors that sell packs of deer food in the form of thin brown circles. They are basically crackers for deer.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

edit: Unrelated question - someone I know who fancies visiting Japan is vegan. Is he basically gonna be living off tofu and literally nothing else? I don't recall seeing much decent food that didn't have some kind of egg or fish in it.

Getting a decent vegan meal is impossible at most Japanese restaurants. That said, Tokyo and Kyoto both have a bunch of excellent vegan restaurants. When my wife and I visit Kyoto we basically plan our itinerary as a series of delicious dinners punctuated by random site-seeing.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

The Great Autismo! posted:

LINE is absolute garbage and i have an irrational hatred for it

There is nothing irrational about your hatred for it. It is dog poo poo and there is no reason anyone should use it since this is not the dark ages and everyone has facebook now.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Update from my parents says that the dates they can travel have changed and their best bet is 4/28 to 5/12, which cuts right through Golden Week. Lemme make sure I understand correctly, the reason why traveling during Golden Week is a bad idea is that:

1. The sights are packed
2. Stuff (restaurants, bars, etc.) is closed
3. Way more people than are worth dealing with
4. Rates are higher, maybe?

I want to make sure this trip is a success, so I’m hesitant to go along with that scheduling. But realities in the American workplace mean there’s only so much I can do...

When my parents visited they came during golden week since it was the only time that I could be free that wasn't rear end hot Japanese summer.

1. This is true, but honestly for the touristy places you will probably take your parents it's true most of the time.

2. Most of that stuff is open during golden week. There are some mom and pop places that'll close, but it's not like New Years where any old place might just close down for a week.

3. Didn't we already talk about this?

4. Yes, but if you are still 6 months out you can still find stuff for a fine price.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Richard M Nixon posted:

Being a sperg, I'm mapping out the routes between cities so I have a general idea of when the trains run and their time and cost. The only tricky one I have left is getting from Gotemba (Gotenba?) station to Hakone Ginyu ryokan. My options seem to be to get a taxi which would be around ¥10k, take a highway bus which frightens me a bit because I have to change buses at a side of the road bus stop and I don't trust myself to not get on the wrong bus, or take a series of trains that involves changing trains and takes twice as long as the other options. Is there a better method that I'm missing? Is my taxi price estimate accurate? Am I a giant baby about the buses?

I'll be doing marikar, I'm so sorry...

I don't think there is any direct train route between those places, so a bus is your best bet to do it cheaply. From google maps street view it looks like the bus stop you change at is well marked, and it's blurry but at least some of the signs on it are bilingual. It's not a stop in the middle of nowhere, either, so if you miss your bus you could go to a shop or restaurant and ask someone to call you a cab.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Richard M Nixon posted:

gently caress, I feel fat enough without buying clothes from uniqlo and seeing their bs sizing... I'm going to blend right in!

I'm going with another couple and they are really into the idea of wearing yukata and walking around Tokyo. Am I correctly assuming that it's the equivalent of that picture of the white guy on the train wearing the rice farmer hat?

If you are going to a festival it's totally normal to wear a yukata, but just wearing them around town is pretty weird.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Is this a bad time to mention that they have deep fried momiji manju nowadays?

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Keret posted:

-I'm vegetarian (gasp), so any vegan/vegetarian food suggestions would be dope, especially if I can find veg ramen. Is vegetarian okinomiyaki a thing? Is good vegetarian sushi a thing?

I recommend that you use Happy Cow (https://www.happycow.net/) to find veg restaurants. The vegetarian restaurants in a normal Japanese restaurant range from nonexistant to bad. However every sizable city has a fair number of restaurants that cater to the vegetarian crowd, and they usually have fantastic food.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Not a Children posted:

gently caress, this is very nearly my entire trip

Should I be worried?

You really shouldn't be worried. poo poo being shut down during golden week is stuff like government offices, schools, and banks that really doesn't effect tourists. What does effect tourists, though, is that everyone in Japan is on vacation so hotels are expensive as gently caress and bullet trains are crowded. If you've already booked accommodations you are cool.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Injuryprone posted:

My wife and I just got a last minute JR rail pass since her friend will be home in Nagoya during our stay. Does anyone have any recommendations on places to visit between Nagoya and Tokyo off the JR rail line? I already know Hakone and Yokohama and her friend recommended Kanazawa. I'm working with 7 full days and 2 half days to split between Tokyo, Nagoya, and wherever else.

If you have the rail pass does it need to be between those cities? Kyoto and Osaka are both less than an hour by bullet train from Nagoya. Kyoto is basically the cultural capital of Japan, it would be worth your time to travel down there and worth your money to book a hotel so you don't need to commute back up to Tokyo.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

captkirk posted:

I'm flying out in a week for my first trip overseas. Starting to freak out a little bit especially since my plans are a lot foggier than most of the other itineraries I've seen. Can I get some feed back for my itinerary, I posted it over on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/JapanTravel/comments/ak8m9i/itinerary_feedback_for_solo_first_timers_4_week/), let me know if linking out is verboten and I can re-type it all with BBcode formatting.

You will be traveling during plum blossom (ume) season so it's probably worth your time to look into a good location to see them: https://tokyocheapo.com/lifestyle/outdoors/plum-blossoms-in-tokyo/

Since you have a lot of time in Tokyo unaccounted for you should go to Teamlab Planets or Teamlab Borderless. I went Planets on this thread's recommendation, and now Borderless is at the top of my list for my next Tokyo trip.

Since your tattoo is small, you should just get some waterproof bandaids that will cover it.

You should fit a trip to Himeji Castle in that itinerary somewhere. It's a day trip from Kyoto or Osaka if you go by Shinkansen. It's also on the line between Hiroshima and Kyoto, so you could stop there in between and store your luggage at the lockers in the station while you see the castle.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

captkirk posted:

Can you link me to an example of the waterproof bandaids you're thinking of? But I assume if I want to try using a waterproof bandaid I should clear that with the onsen?

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/All-Health-A...rproof+bandaids

I would just wear it and say nothing. I don't have a tattoo so I haven't been in this particular situation, but generally with rules like this you will get "no exceptions" if you ask about it, but the actual enforcement is much more lax.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Then I’ve got a couple of quote unquote “adults” to reassure. :shepface:

No you don't need to buy them in advance. If you need to leave at a specific time ( not like 15 ~30 mins later), it is prudent to buy tickets at least a day in advance, but for most travelers it's unnecessary . Showing up at the station and buying your shinkansen tickets on the day is totally normal.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

torb main posted:

Probably a long shot, but anyone with experience in the Nagoya housing market? Looking at a 2 year relo for the consulting firm I work for and trying to work out the best residence for 2 people + an 80 lb dog. I'd like to find a house with a private garden where the dog can take his dumps in peace, but that might be a long-rear end ways away from my office which would be walking distance from Nagoya station. Apparently there are also good-sized apartments with large balconies where you can put some fake grass and let the dog do its thing too, but regardless we feel bad he's going to lose his nice big yard and want to try and find something with at least a minimal enclosed outside area for him to use.

The company is hooking us up with a realtor, but would appreciate any anecdotal experience you guys have :)

I don't know about real estate, but I live in neighborhood with a ton of houses that fit your description like 9 mins by train from Nagoya station. It only gets more suburban if you go north of here on the Inuyama line. However, you would be hard pressed to find anything with space that your dog could actually run around in like in the US unless you go way out.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Foreign Substance posted:

I like aquariums and loved the one in Osaka, are there any others in Honshu or Kyushu that are good?

Nagoya has a decent one but it's basically just Osaka's but smaller and with less whale sharks.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

It's coming in at cat 5 strength and is likely to affect kansai even if it turns farther toward kanto. If you had outdoor activities planned they are probably a no go.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

I have a trip to Tokyo and Kyoto planned for March 3rd; I'm seeing reports now of Tokyo canceling or postponing indoor events. I'm considering making alternate plans, going somewhere other than Tokyo. I'll probably spend the last few days in Kyoto regardless, but am thinking going to Osaka for a few days before that if the Coronavirus stuff gets much worse; first-time visit to Japan, I like food and historical stuff, anyplace that would make a good location to go to via Shinkansen other than Osaka assuming I need to be in Osaka on the 13th?

I recommend a day trip to Himeji. There is basically only the castle to see there but it's worth the trip.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Well, about to hit cancel on my May flight, which was fully expected but I figured I'd hold out and see. Not betting on anything getting better in five months, and I'm not sure I'd feel good travelling in the first wave of tourists if Japan opens. Costs me nothing to defer to October or Novemeber so I'll just reschedule my flight with the understanding I may or may not be canceling it again. Not sure if holding out till November would be worse since I tend to hate exploring if I have to carry extra clothes as a contingency.

My plan for May was to start in Osaka for a week while tripping out to Kobe and Kyoto, then three days in Nara, and a week and a half in Tokyo. I'm probably still going to stick to that rough itinerary. I've already done Kyoto albeit only for five days, so I can't decide whether I want to base out of Kyoto and hit up Osaka/Kobe via train, or to base out of Osaka and travel to Kyoto every now and then. I suspect I'll stick to Osaka being my hub even though I don't particularly find myself excited to do anything in Osaka proper outside of Dotonbori and Shinsekai. More to explore I guess!

So still trying to decide on whether October or November would be a better bet, but since I'm staying for three weeks I might just split the difference and go mid-late Oct.

I think 2022+ my goal will be to do less stays in big cities and try to work small towns in but I'm not sure where yet.

October weather is really nice temp wise but there is the chance of having a typhoon ruin part of your trip. November is usually still pretty warm and if you are from an area that gets cold in the winter you'll probably be ok just carrying a light jacket that you can stow easily in a backpack.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

I don't get the Olympics hate. At this point athletes should all be able to get vaccinated before the games. Maybe Japan has to provide vaccines for some countries who.don't have a deal with Pfizer or Moderna. As for tourists well that's another problem but Olympics can go on without them.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

sale on Banksy art posted:

A narrative is definitely being pushed to cover for the slow rollout.

The vaccine rollout did start slow, but most countries had minimal vaccinations the first few months it was available as distribution issues got sorted out. Vaccination rate has been solid during the summer months. Japan went from 3% fully vaccinated at the end of May then to 42% now. Obviously it remains to be seen if Japan stalls out after 50% like the USA.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

I haven't been on the shinkansen since covid started. Is it still cool to eat while riding now?

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Iymarra posted:

Cool, but do SUICA cards work on every line inside the station? Like, if I'm going from a station at senso-ji temple to say, the closest station near electric town at akihabara and it goes through x line with two changes, does SUICA cover that or is it likely that I'd need to grab a single ticket for one part of that, or use a different card?

Suica will work on almost all public transit. You might find some inaka bus that you need to get a ticket for if you are well off the beaten path, but it's rare.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

Mostly basic bitch tourist stuff, I think; when we were initially planning for a few less days, I had the following listed:

Ghibli Museum, Mitaka
Teamlab Borderless/Planets
Saitama Railway Museum
Saitama - Hikawa Shrine
Saitama - Omiya Bonsai Art Museum/Village
Saitama - Prefectural Museum
Tokyo National Museum
Odaiba
Distillery Day
Akhibara
Imperial Palace

I like history a lot, one of the friends I'm going with really likes infrastructure stuff (trains, dams, that sort of thing). We all like food & drinking, definitely going to do at least a couple of nice meals, and a lot of street food, for sure trying fugu.

Just a heads up Teamlab borderless closes permanently at the end of August.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

harperdc posted:

Like I said, they’re moving it, but where the “city center” location will be hasn’t been announced.
I'm just dumb and assumed I was on the last page of the thread when I posted that, so I didn't see that you'd already given the heads up.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

drat, they have a triple room here for wildly goddamn cheap. Is Agoda.com fine for booking (I have not ever planned an international trip where I needed a hotel)?

You aren't the only one to mention Kyoto being small; I love historical poo poo, and that's why I wanted to make it a destination, but we're going to be there for quite awhile; would we be better off staying in Osaka and doing a couple of day trips to Kyoto? Maybe even do like 2-3 nights in Kyoto on the way to Osaka for another 4-5 nights instead of 8-9 nights in Kyoto.

We can definitely afford to do some more expensive stuff, but as far as lodging goes, we're all pretty basic; I've always had the philosophy that I'm spending my time doing poo poo while I'm on vacation, not sitting around the hotel room, so as long as it's clean and comfortable to sleep in I'm good. The plan was to do regular Western-style hotel rooms for most of the trip, then try to find a nice (maybe a bit more upscale) ryokan in Nara to spend the night in, try out the whole tatami mat experience.

This looks so loving cool, I'm gonna see if I can convince my Japanese-speaking friend to play translator for that one day. We'll buy him dinner after; the fact that we can do the train museum the same day makes it seem like a must-do.

Really? drat, EVA was nice as gently caress.

So, the plan was to fly into Tokyo, spend a bunch of time there, take the Shinkansen to Kyoto, spend a bunch of time there with maybe an overnight trip to Nara, then to fly home from Osaka airport (which inevitably involves a layover in Haneda or Narita). I don't really want to try to train back to Haneda or Narita then catch a plan home, that just sounds like a brutal day. Is there a good pass for just, like, local rail inside Tokyo, or are we best off just paying the fares as we go?

Added to my spreadsheet.

Thank you all for the help.
Kyoto and Osaka are very close. It's a little more than twenty minutes by train, so if you prefer not to switch hotels you can stay on either place and visit the other easily. With 9 days there you have time for some day trips. I'd recommend Nara because you haven't really visited Japan if you don't get mugged by a cracker hungry deer. Himeji has one of the most impressive castles in Japan, so that is a good choice as well.

Kyoto and Osaka both have daily passes good for the metro lines and bus. Generally you'll break even if you use the metro three times on the pass and save money after that. In Tokyo you will often use the Yamanote line travelling in the city and it's not covered by the metro pass, so I don't think it's worth it. Definitely get an IC for when you don't have a pass so you don't need to buy paper tickets.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

After a few trips with friends my partner finally wants to come along on a trip and of all the things Tokyo has to offer the biggest question was if we’d be able to check out a love hotel 🏩

My Japanese has never been any better than asking for basic directions and has only gotten worse since I haven’t kept up studies, so are any of them suited for English speakers?

You can literally book some on booking.com at this point, you don't really need any Japanese.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

field balm posted:

Sorry guys, another jr pass question as I'm kinda stupid. We're doing tokyo>kanazawa>osaka>fukuoka(>maybe nagasaki) back to Tokyo so we've determined it's worthwhile to get the 14 day pass. My question is really about booking tickets on the shinks- seems like only some can be booked online and you've got to go to the office to pick it up anyway, correct? Would it be possible to just go to the office first day and book all tickets for the entire trip or do you need to book at the respective stations? If so, I'm guessing it will be easiest to just book the next leg as we arrive at the station? Thanks guys

Yes you can reserve the the tickets for different legs of your trip from the ticket office at your first location. Generally when I've had relatives visit with a rail pass we'll book the long train rides in advance to ensure a seat, but not the rides that are like an hour or less so we can be more flexible with the schedule.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

surf rock posted:

Are September and October good months to visit? I'm guessing August is a heat/humidity issue?

Early September is still quite hot and humid, but aside from the chance of a typhoon coming late September and October weather is wonderful.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

We're planning a ~10 day first timer Japan visit and are budgeting some time in both Osaka and Kyoto. Any opinion on which city would be better on a weekend? Is there a day of the week (like Sundays in a lot of european travel) where half the restaurants and attractions are closed in Japan?

A lot of museums are closed on Mondays unless the Monday is a national holiday.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

JapanTaxi doesn't work anymore. It has been replaced with Go タクシー, which last I checked you can only download if your region is set to Japan. DiDi taxi works and is available in multiple regions. Uber can hail taxis in some cities as well. These are all just for hailing normal taxis, I don't think ride share really exists. Also, not all taxis can actually get the address from the app, so sometimes you need to tell them.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Big stores don't usually close for holidays except new years.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Definitely Himeji but if you are ambitious you could hit up Himeji in the morning then hit up the falls and botanical garden near Shin-Kobe in the afternoon.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

As an example in December I sent a goon a Japanese magic card and the post office wanted like 4000 yen to send by airmail. I sent it by surface and they still haven't gotten it, so I assume it was just stolen. You'd basically have to add 50USD to get something heavier like hand cream sent.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Crampy Grampaw posted:

We'll be going to the Kansai region for 2 weeks in late August. I'm expecting it to be hot and muggy. Is it worth bringing mosquito repellent? Will things calm down after Bon?

Any recs outside of the usual tourist highlights (Gion, Arashiyama, Dotonbori, etc.) in Kansai?

Absolutely bring mosquito repellent especially if you are going to Arashiyama, though if you are "lucky" August will be too hot for mosquitos like last year. I recommend Shimogamo shrine because it's not generally as crowded as the big tourist locations and its right near the river crossing where you can hop across stone turtles.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

I know nothing about baseball, and a Google just brings up stats and his signing with the Baystars. Why do we hate this guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Yeah that's pretty yikes they should not have signed him.