Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

gently caress all you dumbass cunts with bad cheesecake opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
helluva new page

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I didn't try any cheesecake, but our hotel had a bakery on the main level that had a different spread of pastries and other assorted baked goods every day. It was really loving good.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
holy poo poo those orange pistachio rolls, hook that right up to my veins

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

arisu posted:

I prefer the lighter Japanese cheesecakes. The normal one is great for the first 2-3 bites, then it just wears out its welcome to me.

Get a small one :confused: I’m not a fan of bigass cheesecakes either, a small slice is enough for me.

peanut posted:

gently caress all you dumbass cunts with bad cheesecake opinions

:hf:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mactheknife posted:

holy poo poo those orange pistachio rolls, hook that right up to my veins

Those rolls were the only item available every day. I'd grab coffee for us and let my daughter pick out the pastries and we had those more often than not.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was addicted to Jack In The Donuts' toasted green tea donuts. I'd take the train to Akihabara like every other day just for those.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I got a job interview for an IT job in Japan this week. And it seems like an okay thing at a known company, my wage vs what I earn in my home country is the same and its in Tokyo... But its only a 6 month contract. The recruiter told me that that's normal and they usually end up hiring you anyway after the 6 months, but the recruiter would want to tell me anything I want to hear since he's getting a commission out of it.

Anyone here know how that really works? Or has some resources where I can read up on stuff. Cause I'd rather not be looking for a new job when the company decides to drop me for a bullshit reason.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Martytoof posted:

Jack In The Donuts

I think this is still my favorite name for a chain in Japan.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

For the price the 7-11 cheesecake is really good.
Also it's easy to make cheesecake in a rice cooker. https://cookpad.com/recipe/922142

Archer666 posted:

I got a job interview for an IT job in Japan this week. And it seems like an okay thing at a known company, my wage vs what I earn in my home country is the same and its in Tokyo... But its only a 6 month contract. The recruiter told me that that's normal and they usually end up hiring you anyway after the 6 months, but the recruiter would want to tell me anything I want to hear since he's getting a commission out of it.

Anyone here know how that really works? Or has some resources where I can read up on stuff. Cause I'd rather not be looking for a new job when the company decides to drop me for a bullshit reason.

Is it a contract to be hired as a regular employee, but with a probationary period? Those are extremely common.
Or is it a contract position, and they are telling you that it will likely be renewed anyway?

In any case the recruiter is right. In the first case, unless you do something blatantly illegal or deceptive you will get through the probation period. In the second case, most contract employees will have their contracts renewed unless there's significant downsizing, the entire division is axed, or whatever.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 2, 2019

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Japanese cheesecake is also fun to make because souffles are fun to make

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Japanese cheesecake> other cheesecake

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

Is it a contract to be hired as a regular employee, but with a probationary period? Those are extremely common.
Or is it a contract position, and they are telling you that it will likely be renewed anyway?

In any case the recruiter is right.

I would suggest to clarify with the recruiter which case it is. But yeah, unless you’re actively being a dumbass or aggressively stupid, the six-month probationary period is a mere formality on the way to 正社員 status. I would be surprised if it’s a true contract job as most times I’ve heard those are 12-month and not half year, but I could be wrong.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Archer666 posted:

Normally probationary period is three months not six, but who knows. This is one of those rare cases where I'd say don't sweat it though because there's shitloads of IT jobs. You should be able to find another one pretty quick once you're in the country if things go south.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

The Great Autismo! posted:

yo string, don't take it personally, I didn't reach out to anyone, I woke up this morning at 2:35am Tokyo time. my schedule is all screwy. I am free tomorrow evening but evening for me is like 2pm to 6pm. I'll be back soon enough for an extend period of time to a) poo poo up the thread and b) harass you into meals if you're willing.

if you wanna do something tomorrow evening I can swing it, I just might crash mightly at like 8pm, I tried going to this good gyoza place today near my hotel at like 6pm and there was an 18-person wait list deep list and I was like "nah gently caress this" and went and got a single sushi roll and two beers at 7-11, now I'm falling asleep in bed watching baseball highlights on youtube. wat a time to be alive

It doesn't look like I'm gonna get out of a work as early as I wanted to, so maybe next time.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

It doesn't look like I'm gonna get out of a work as early as I wanted to, so maybe next time.

it's cool I'm already in bed and it's like 6:30pm lol. when I used to come over from china it was cool because I was only 1 hour off. now I'm 5 hours different, which is a bit more confusing, and I'm flying to Maine tomorrow which is 13 hours different and I dive immediately into a family reunion so Lord knows how me or the fam will adapt to that. I guess we'll just do our best

next time for sure, if you like. now that I don't live in china I am broke and poor, which is bad and terrible, but maybe we could run that curry place back. I'm sure I'll be back sometime in the next 6 months - year at the very least, will let u know.

fwiw, Japan and Tokyo are very good and very cool, and if you live here, congrats. you are living a good life

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

UWU ♫

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nokishita711 in Kyoto is the best bar in the world if you love gin. I’ve been to most of the top ranked bars all around the world and this place surpasses it. Incredible, creative stuff.

Also if anyone can find me any bottles from Tatsumi Distillery (preferably peach gin but any gin or absinthe) I would love you forever. Seems impossible to find.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Tatsumi pretty much sells out instantly, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Also did you go to L'Escamoteur? Unofficially the official bar of the Kyoto Distillery. Never been to either so curious how it compares with Nokishita.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 5, 2019

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That’s the plan tonight!

Also I realize there will be a bit of a vig on the Tatsumi stuff, which I’m willing to pay!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

L'Escamoteur is kitschy nonsense. The drinks are competent and the staff is clearly very talented. They have some fire and smoke gimmicks and a huge ki no bi “Happy Anniversary” bottle. But the vibe in music, attitude and decor is so forced and the bright light that comes on to notify them when someone opens the door is so distracting. I had one drink and left as quickly as possible.

So much not my vibe. Felt almost like it was pandering.

Went back over to Nokishita711 for more of the best gin cocktails anywhere. I’m taking Tomo out in LA if he is serious about coming to town next year.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

For the price the 7-11 cheesecake is really good.
Also it's easy to make cheesecake in a rice cooker. https://cookpad.com/recipe/922142

In any case the recruiter is right. In the first case, unless you do something blatantly illegal or deceptive you will get through the probation period. In the second case, most contract employees will have their contracts renewed unless there's significant downsizing, the entire division is axed, or whatever.

It was the 2nd thing, a contract position that I've been told will be most likely renewed. Not like it matters, since I feel like I hosed up the interview. I was totally unprepared for how stonefaced and serious the job interview was. I expected it, but to it was still super awkward when the interview took place.

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010
Can I get a reality check and/or recommendations for my itinerary?
Second trip to Japan, on my first visit I did a group round-trip to Tokyo, Sendai, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, with all the major tourist spots.
I'm looking for anything I missed the first time, some lesser-known places, and excellent food. Money is probably not an issue. Green rail pass for 14d. I'm travelling solo, but can buy beer/sake for goons. I don't want a fully packed schedule, but some sense of direction for the day.

Date range: 19 days from mid Sep.

Days: what
1-4: Tokyo
    * Odaiba: Science & Digital Art Museums
    * Day trip to Nikko
    * Sky Tower
    * ???
5: Tokyo -> Takayama
6: Takayama
7: Takayama -> Kanazawa
8: Kanazawa -> ???
9: ???
10: ??? -> Koya-san
11: Koya-san -> Kyoto
12-14: Kyoto
    * Arashiyama
    * Fushimi Inari
    * Nara
    * Day trip to Osaka, Dotonburi
    * ???
15: Kyoto -> Izu-Kogen
16-17: boiling in a private onsen
18: Izu-Kogen -> Tokyo
19: Departure at noon

Any red flags, must-visit places for the ???, or food recommendations are greatly appreciated

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Schorsch posted:

Second trip to Japan, on my first visit I did a group round-trip to Tokyo, Sendai, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima, with all the major tourist spots.
I'm looking for anything I missed the first time, some lesser-known places, and excellent food. Money is probably not an issue. Green rail pass for 14d. I'm travelling solo, but can buy beer/sake for goons. I don't want a fully packed schedule, but some sense of direction for the day.

* Day trip to Nikko
    * Sky Tower
    * ???
    * Arashiyama
    * Fushimi Inari
    * Nara
    * ???

Any red flags, must-visit places for the ???, or food recommendations are greatly appreciated

Have you looked at train times and such for Takayama? It may make more sense to go to Kanazawa first, before Takayama. Maybe. But I suggest 1.5 days for kanazawa.

There's also Fukui on the way to Kyoto and people often overlook it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Schorsch posted:

* Day trip to Nikko
    * Sky Tower
    * ???
    * Arashiyama
    * Fushimi Inari
    * Nara
    * ???

"19 days from mid September" may mean hitting thick-necked foreigners here for the rugby, but you're not going many places where it'll be worse than usual I don't think.

I went to Kanazawa for Golden Week this year, I would absolutely recommend a day trip to Shirakawago as well (but that'll be a bus ride down and back).

It's a lot of countryside, and two days alone in a private onsen seems like a bit much too.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Green car jr pass? I will be disappointed if you don't go as far as Kyushu, at least for one night. Shikoku is nice and good too but you're just barely too early for most of the best festivals (bestivals).

look in my post history for Hyogo/Ehime festivals in October. p sure I've posted links more than once.

Schorsch
Nov 23, 2010

peanut posted:

Green car jr pass? I will be disappointed if you don't go as far as Kyushu, at least for one night. Shikoku is nice and good too but you're just barely too early for most of the best festivals (bestivals).

look in my post history for Hyogo/Ehime festivals in October. p sure I've posted links more than once.

Flight are already booked, so sadly no bestivals, but I'll consider Kyushu, thanks.

harperdc posted:

It's a lot of countryside, and two days alone in a private onsen seems like a bit much too.

I went there the first time for 3 days and it was worth it every day, just for the 3 different kaiseki dinners. But I realize there's a lot of countryside, perhaps I'll do another Kyoto/Osaka day. Thanks.

totalnewbie posted:

Have you looked at train times and such for Takayama? It may make more sense to go to Kanazawa first, before Takayama. Maybe. But I suggest 1.5 days for kanazawa.

There's also Fukui on the way to Kyoto and people often overlook it.

Good point re: Takayama/Kanazawa and trains, thanks.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

fukui also has what looks like a dope af dino museum

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

mikeycp posted:

fukui also has what looks like a dope af dino museum

Duuuude I went last year and can confirm it is indeed dope af. Like, I was all "meh, tons of kids but maybe I'll see something neat" and.. Well actually, that's an entirely accurate portrayal.

Lots of captions in high level English (guessing written by visiting/resident foreign researchers) so it's not just looking at skeletons and wondering what the gently caress you're looking at.

I did end up getting a bit tired of it at the end and kind of hurried through but a few hours in a dinosaur museum by yourself.. Ehh, that's alright.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
https://jobs.gaijinpot.com/job/view/contract_type/2/lang/en/orderby/latest/job_id/116340

Which of you placed this ad

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Anyone been to that new Moominvalley place in Hanno and can vouch for whether it's worth checking out or not before I book tickets for it? I'm planning my friend's birthday for during our trip and she's a fan of Moomin stuff so thought it might be fun, but if it's specifically just for kids or doesn't have a lot to look at it may not be worth the trip out from Tokyo.

I'll also need to book a table that evening in the spooky Yurei restaurant but of course Japanese places don't take online reservations so I may need to resort to a phone call through Gurunavi nearer the time I guess.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Anyone been to that new Moominvalley place in Hanno and can vouch for whether it's worth checking out or not before I book tickets for it? I'm planning my friend's birthday for during our trip and she's a fan of Moomin stuff so thought it might be fun, but if it's specifically just for kids or doesn't have a lot to look at it may not be worth the trip out from Tokyo.

Considering how popular Moomin is with 20-30 year old women, it’s as much for adults as kids. It’s not super focused on kids, don’t worry about that. It’s just deep out there is all.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

harperdc posted:

Considering how popular Moomin is with 20-30 year old women, it’s as much for adults as kids. It’s not super focused on kids, don’t worry about that. It’s just deep out there is all.
Oh that's cool then, thanks!

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Probably a long shot, but anyone with experience in the Nagoya housing market? Looking at a 2 year relo for the consulting firm I work for and trying to work out the best residence for 2 people + an 80 lb dog. I'd like to find a house with a private garden where the dog can take his dumps in peace, but that might be a long-rear end ways away from my office which would be walking distance from Nagoya station. Apparently there are also good-sized apartments with large balconies where you can put some fake grass and let the dog do its thing too, but regardless we feel bad he's going to lose his nice big yard and want to try and find something with at least a minimal enclosed outside area for him to use.

The company is hooking us up with a realtor, but would appreciate any anecdotal experience you guys have :)

geese
May 29, 2007

This goose is cooked.
Hi folks,
Currently posting from a a ryokan in Kyoto. Japan has been pretty wild so far. We went to a Hanshin Tigers game in Osaka the other day and it was the best baseball experience I’ve ever been to. Makes Blue Jays games look like church.

We’re taking the Shinkansen to Tokyo on Sunday and it looks like Monday is the Marine Day holiday. Should I be concerned about things being closed in the main tourist areas? Or will they just be really busy with people having the day off?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Just really busy.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

torb main posted:

Probably a long shot, but anyone with experience in the Nagoya housing market? Looking at a 2 year relo for the consulting firm I work for and trying to work out the best residence for 2 people + an 80 lb dog. I'd like to find a house with a private garden where the dog can take his dumps in peace, but that might be a long-rear end ways away from my office which would be walking distance from Nagoya station. Apparently there are also good-sized apartments with large balconies where you can put some fake grass and let the dog do its thing too, but regardless we feel bad he's going to lose his nice big yard and want to try and find something with at least a minimal enclosed outside area for him to use.

The company is hooking us up with a realtor, but would appreciate any anecdotal experience you guys have :)

I don't know about real estate, but I live in neighborhood with a ton of houses that fit your description like 9 mins by train from Nagoya station. It only gets more suburban if you go north of here on the Inuyama line. However, you would be hard pressed to find anything with space that your dog could actually run around in like in the US unless you go way out.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
As a Torontonian, the only good thing about a Blue Jays game is smoking a J in the upper levels. Or lower levels. Wherever.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Toonie Tuesday was pretty great :[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geese
May 29, 2007

This goose is cooked.
Which one of you did I see this morning around 11:30 near the Asakusa Don Quixote wearing a ‘No Waifu No Laifu’ shirt?