Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

I blame mainlanders

...of course you do lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ned posted:

Come to Kyushu! Weather will be great then and it is like a mini-Japan and the cities all have their own different vibe. I can introduce you to lots of single women if you visit here because Fukuoka has the largest imbalance between men and women in all of Japan and there are just too many women to go around! Fukuoka also has the reputation of having beautiful women so it is really a win-win situation if you are looking to enjoy your newly single status. That and we don't have a lot of foreigners in general so you stand out.

yo unironically do this, when i went out with Ned just for japanese food and beers we were surrounded by tables of cute girls in like every direction. Fukuoka owns.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
like i love my wife and stuff but if i ever somehow fall through a wormhole and end up in another dimension that is very similar to this one, except that i am now single, the first thing i would do is move to fukuoka

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Great Autismo! posted:

like i love my wife and stuff but if i ever somehow fall through a wormhole and end up in another dimension that is very similar to this one, except that i am now single, the first thing i would do is move to fukuoka

Ned posted:

What we do have now is a shitload of cruise ships coming from China.

uhm, actually, let me rethink my previous statement

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Knuc U Kinte posted:

drat dude. I bet if you didn't have a wife you would have done some serious damage.

at the very least i would have tried, bro!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you're going to Japan for a few months and your biggest concern is what VPN you need so you can continue watching Netflix, you may as well just not go to Japan.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tequila Sunrise posted:

That makes it sound way worse.

lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Yes, but expect people to laugh at you or think that you're a weirdo.

wgaf

do what you want. if someone says "that's touristy and dumb and you paid a ridiculous amount, you idiot!" you can say something like "i know it's touristy but i wanted to try it and enjoy it." if the question was "i really want the most authentic japanese working class experience possible, steer me away from all the tourist traps", then yes, don't go to the robot restaurant. but if you think "wow i'm in japan, that's cool and different, and it's a restaurant that is interesting with robots" and then you went and you had fun, who cares if people laugh at you. its immaterial.

i've never been but my old roommate went in 2014 and had a freakin' blast, he loved it. and i'm happy for him, because he was happy.

sometimes it really is as simple as that.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Freaksaus posted:

You mentioned this before but, what's wrong with Hakone? I've been there a few years ago and really enjoyed my stay. It was the first I had ever been to an onsen/ryokan so that might have colored my view a bit, but I really enjoyed the roundtrip as well.

It sounds like you're a glass is half full kind of guy

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
peanut how long did it take you to decide on this thread title? or how many beers deep before you just said "gently caress it" and pounded the keyboard for three seconds

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I guess I'll add some content. Here's my Japanese wedding report. I finally had my wedding ceremony here in Japan last weekend. I wore some cool Japanese haori hakama for part of it and then changed into a white tux. My wife's friends dressed up like cheerleaders halfway through and danced to a song to really drive home the fact we are in Japan. We also mixed the ceremony with my son's okuizome, and we mocked feeding him while everyone screamed KAWAIIIIII. I ended up at some izakaya with my friends from USA and England and some of my wife's friends and we had a mock sumo fight in front of a famous sumo wrestler statue at like 1am.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jossos posted:

More like okama, :laffo:

Nah, sounds cool. Grats dude!

thx man! Happy wife, happy life. I just showed up for the most part :toot: though I did have to give a speech in Japanese, wah

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I try to eat as often as possible at the Indian place in the town over but my wife won't let me go more than once a week, if that

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's a real event when I go though. I walk through the woods and through two communities, listen to two full podcasts, get there, get a draft beer, have a book, unlimited naan and awesome curry, read for an hour or two, then walk back home listening to two more podcasts.

If you ever want to experience this authentic goon experience, come meet me north of Fukuoka and bring 450 USD for this rich and cultural experience

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

zmcnulty posted:

Oh a gaijin who speaks no Japanese yet demands a high salary because he is director-level biz dev/branding/PR/made up bullshit? You're hired!

I unironically also would like to apply for this job

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
chinese tourists going abroad acting like chinese tourists? some shocking behavior here, let me tell you

edit: from the comments there,

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 9, 2016

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

Surfboard on a shinkansen

this sounds like a bad book about some dude from california who spent a year in japan

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
it's just not the most space available train in the world. it's not like you get to check baggage or whatever. I think you could take a surfboard on the train, it just probably wouldn't be in the top 50-75 things that people usually take on the train, I'm guessing. at least from my few limited experiences on the shinkansen

It would kinda be like a dude being like "I'm coming to Germany I can't wait to rideshare across the country with my harp"

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I would read "surfboard on a Shinkansen"

You couldn't pay me to read "5 chihuahuas on a Shinkansen"

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
why would you take a surfboard to an onsen

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I will buy you an avatar cert if you post a picture of you and your surfboard in an izakaya when you're visiting Japan

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This would be so easy.

that's why I offered him an AV cert and not something like 100 bucks

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Knuc U Kinte posted:

There's a surf themed izakaya at my station, can I go and take a picture with a surfboard for an av cert?

if you seemed even a twentieth as committed to your surfboard as the other dude I may say yes, poo poo if you need five dollars that badly I may say yes if you actually do it

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
what's wrong with your av tho

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Nothing, I just remembered about that izakaya.

there's a cool cowboy themed one where my wife grew up, it owns

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

My partner is studying abroad in Japan starting in December, so we're planning on spending a week there around NYE (27 December to 3 January) in Tokyo. Any recommendations on inexpensive hotels, things to see off the beaten path, etc?

Also please feel free to let me know if the holidays is an inopportune time to visit an already stupidly expensive and crowded city.

we stayed in Tokyo Ueno Youth Hostel when we were there in july, and it was awesome. it wasn't like a 5 star hotel, but we had a private room that was really affordable, had a decent bathroom, tons of space in the room, and the location is incredible. we really only cared about location and cost, to be honest i didn't really care about cost but my wife was choosing everything so cost had to be factored in. the people there were super friendly and awesome and we didn't actually see anyone else there at all the entire time we were there until the last day when we met a korean family that was traveling together.

if you're looking for a place downtown that is pretty cheap, i'd definitely recommend this place

edit: put the wrong place, lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I have no idea where someone could grow up in Ohio and be excited by automatic doors. :psyduck:

i mean like if you grew up in ohio and didn't grow up in columbus or the burbs of cleveland or cinci, pretty much anything that isn't utter trash should be rather exciting imo

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
are u a buckeye fan

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
ohio is literally the third worst state in the united states

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Worse states: New Jersey, Delaware, both Carolinas, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, both Dakotas, Texas, Michigan, Indiana, West Virginia, Arizona, Alaska, Hawaii (last three get a tourism exemption, I mean to live in), Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky.

this is just an embarrassing post

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
[in chapel hill, north carolina]

"hey man how's life?"
"ugh, its terrible. do you know what would make it better? moving to ohio"

i am the first person to ever write this conversation in the history of humankind, because it is so laughably fictional it could never actually happen

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
in tucson, arizona, one of the coolest college towns in america, surrounded by national parks, a young man sits with his laptop at a coffee shop. around him are girls, girls that are so freakin' beautiful that they would be easily the most beautiful girl in any other situation, except they are all here in tucson, so they are all competing with each other to see which is most beautiful. it doesn't matter, really. the tenth most beautiful girl in the coffee shop is absolutely stunning.

the boy, with his laptop open, sighs and stares into space, thinking about that wonderful land he's always wanted to move to. he opens google, and types "jobs in ohio"

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
[on a beach in hawaii]

frank: "bro i heard you and jamie broke up"
tom: "yeah...its been so rough. i'm just like, i dunno...i dunno man...im thinking about just, like, leaving it all behind, you know? like just like, i dunno, remember when you were a kid and you just had that dream of like-"
[at the same time]
frank: "moving to ohio"
tom: "moving to ohio"

frank: "oh my God...i totally get it"

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I have not been to Hawaii but literally everyone I have ever met who lived there says it's horrible. Nice to visit but awful to live in. Expensive as hell, lots of crime, super racist if you're not native Hawaiian, etc. I've actually never heard more consistent hatred of any state, even places like Mississippi I've met defenders of.

Also apparently there's a Hawaiian separatist movement which, lol.

honolulu was ranked the second safest city in the entire united states last year so idk about the lots of crime

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I thought we were going to have fun with the whole list but anyway

New Jersey, glad it exists for comedy but come on. Four months living there was enough.
Delaware, lol.
South Carolina/Alabama/Mississippi/Arkansas/West Virginia/Idaho/Oklahoma I don't think I actually need to justify any of these.
Iowa is what happens when you take the boring parts of other states and then make an entire state out of them.
Kansas is what you do with the parts too boring for Iowa.
The Dakotas are what you do with the parts too boring for Kansas.
Michigan is Ohio but with a worse winter, and I say that as someone who loves winter.
Indiana is the only state where the KKK is actively expanding.
Alaska is a cold trailer park.
Kentucky has bourbon which is good because you need a lot of bourbon to deal with Kentucky.
Missouri is all the worst parts of Ohio mixed with worst parts of the south.
Texas is Texas.

Ohio is simply a void without meaning. Saying it's bad or good means having strong feelings about Ohio, which is impossible.

as stringent just said a bit ago, "ohio is texas except cold and no mexican food".

Ohio has almost zero national parks. it has no hills. it is full of truck drivers driving across the empty void that is ohio. the best city in ohio, cleveland, is so bad their own son left it because it is so terrible. he only came back because of how pathetic it has been for like the past 50 years.

take a look at the best parts in each of the states you originally mentioned.

new jersey, carolinas, hawaii all have beaches, instantly making it better than ohio.
delaware gets a pass for being the first state of the united states
arkansas is better but it is a bit smaller to drive across, so it is a bit better than ohio. has the ozarks
missouri has the ozarks
the dakotas have the black hills and gave us the movie fargo, far better than anything ohio has given us
texas is bad but austin is better than anything ohio has to offer
michigan is my least favorite state in the US and i still think it is better than ohio, go to like the UP, its gorgeous (and i hate michigan)
indiana is bad but it is still a little better than ohio because it has purdue university
west virginia is bad but gorgeous, so it gets the nod over ohio
arizona has flagstaff, tucson and tempe, as well as cool poo poo like tombstone
alaska absolutely owns
hawaii is cool i'm guessing, its one of the two states ive never been to
idaho actually has some gorgeous places to visit. ohio doesn't
iowa gave us field of dreams, better than anything ohio has ever done
kansas is v bad but at least there's like one cool basketball university in it
oklahoma is bad but a little better than ohio
kentucky has all kinds of cool poo poo like the derby and bourbon

ohio is just a cold desolate place that if you go there and never leave, it is terrible. theres literally no good places to go, and nothing good to do. ohio is like if you tried to live in a walmart

alabama and mississippi are like living in the dollar store, they are v bad

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Kansas is awesome if you live in Kansas City or Lawrence, both of which are right next to each other. Any place other than that is garbage.

ya the awesome basketball university i was talking about wasn't in manhattan, lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

Actually Pay pal me a 100 euros, it's only 50 euros per person and I will write the ultimate trip and try to make reservations for good restaurants
i'll do it for 98 euros, 49 euro a person

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

yeah but i know better sushi restaurants. so for 2 more euros you get a better restaurant selection

poo poo

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Air China is horrific and Beijing is literally the most delayed airport in the world

as someone who lives near Beijing and bends over backwards and pays a few hundred dollars per trip to sometimes not fly through it, listen to me when i tell you...do NOT fly Air China and do NOT fly through Beijing

hope this helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

but the major airports are fine for the most part.

this is simply not true and i question your sobriety. Shanghai and Beijing are two of the most delayed airports in the entire world. the. entire. world.