Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

sale on Banksy art posted:

It's on subscription services NHK BS1 and Nippon TV G+, and on streaming service DAZN. You can probably sign up to an introductory month of DAZN and watch.

BS1 coverage may also include the English announcing, I don't remember, but I'm guessing the DAZN one won't. You may also be able to get the NBC Sports app online feed, but that's questionable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I have heard of a package that simply said “GAIJIN NAME, Town in Nagasaki, Japan” and it got there #inakalife

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

I'm planning what I think is a really basic and uncreative 10 day trip in early April. I've never been to Japan before so please let me know if I'm doing anything stupid with this itinerary:

Arrive Narita, 5 nights Tokyo in a hotel near Akasaka-mitsuke Station
Possible day trip to Kamakura? Not sure if it's worth it
1 night Hakone (Hakone-machi)
4 nights Kyoto in a hotel in Nakagyo-ku
Was hoping to see Nara, but is it worth spending one of my 3 days here on a day trip? Last day is mostly travel.

My biggest worry is that I'm underestimating travel times or moving around too much. Was thinking a 7 day JR pass would probably pay for itself for Tokyo-Hakone-Kyoto-Tokyo route.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

You can easily do a part-day at Kamakura on your way to Hakone—it’s on the way down the southern coast. Hakone itself isn’t on JR lines, but nearby Odawara is, so you can easily pay separately for the non-JR train part of the trip.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

And the shinkansen too. But to be honest I'm not a fan of the Shinagawa Prince Hotel - a little outdated and the neighborhood seemed a little bland.

That side of Shinagawa Station is all hotels, the other is offices and local izakaya/bars. Not great for tourists, but considering the location it’s useful to head everywhere else from there and still be able to get home late.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yep. From Tokyo, Hokkaido is definitely in the "look at getting flights from Haneda instead" category, both for cost and for time.

also I know you probably don't like airports but Haneda is insanely fast to get through for domestic travel. My personal record is getting from my former job in Meguro to Haneda, checking in, through security and to the gate inside 1.5 hours.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

I disagree. The Bullet Train goes from Tokyo Station to Shin-Hakodate Station 4h14m compared to 1h35m on plane. Even though the plane is quicker - you have to factor in the check in process, getting to and leaving the airport etc. The bullet train, especially the Hayabusa rolling stock is very comfortable.

If you're in Japan as a tourist and you are eligible for the JR Rail Pass, there's really no reason why you would want to go through the hassle of flying.

Right, that’s why I said it’s the “consider flying” territory. If you have the time and want to ride the bullet train all around Japan on the JR pass (I have friends who just did this), knock yourself out. But if you’d only go Tokyo->Hokkaido and back, that’s a place where domestic flights will likely be better.

And also why I specifically suggested Haneda. gently caress Narita. Haneda isn’t super far, has two train lines out there, and domestic flights in Japan are super easy to get through. Add that in to the ANA/JAL deals and it can make sense.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Pachinko/slot machine question. I don't know if anyone keeps up with the uh, "scene" there but did anyone know if the metal gear snake eater pachislot game (or any konami game themed machien) could still be found at parlors or whatever you call them

I'm in the states so I have no way of finding out for myselfO

Finding them would require going into pachinko parlors, which if you haven’t been are noise and tobacco smoke machines fueled by old dudes playing 5 yen slots. Your time would be better spent finding videos on YouTube of the machines instead.

Like so:

https://youtu.be/sUz-rSjcrIQ

“But I’m a fan I want to experience them—“

No, trust me, you don’t.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

^^^^ 和製英語 is such a mystery sometimes :psyduck:

Amergin posted:

So a couple questions:
1) I'm assuming getting around Tokyo without a rental car isn't hard assuming our hotels are near metro stations? The JR pass for two weeks seems a bit more expensive than what we'd pay just for the tickets to/from Tokyo/Osaka and the tickets from Osaka to Kyoto and Nara seem pretty cheap, is it still worth it if we're sticking to those spots? I'd love to do the Japanese countryside but it looks like we won't have time for that this go 'round.
2) I've gotten some things to do in Kyoto from this thread, but are there any recommendations for Osaka? I guess Nara too - which shrines and/or parks should we hit if we want to just keep it to a day? If anyone has recommendations for good onsen options for a couple (so private, mixed) that would also be appreciated!

We're interested in food, art, museums, temples, coffee and cocktails so any of those work. We prefer to keep things cheaper but don't mind splurging on a couple places. Unfortunately we're going in peak cherry blossom season so I fully expect waves of people. For right now I think we'll do Ueno garden for cherry blossoms, but anywhere with fewer people in Tokyo or near Osaka/Kyoto/Nara would be great.

When I've filled out our itinerary a bit more I'll probably throw it up here for critique.

you absolutely do not need a car for any of your trip.

The JR pass will include bullet train, and your usage (going from Tokyo to Osaka/Kyoto and back) is the break-even for the pass cost-wise. So do what peanut said and start the pass from when you leave Tokyo.

Nara is basically a short trip to the big buddha and the deer. Like a half-day trip at most.

Keep in mind cost for Tokyo especially is going to be both flexible (depending on how fancy you go vs. how local you go) but also higher than other places in Asia - much more comparable to being in a big American city. You can eat super cheap for $5 per person at stand-up train station ramen shops, or you can spend $$unlimited. Sometimes you can do both on the same street! So try to check for cheaper options so you're not spending $40 per person per dinner.

During cherry blossom season, everything will be packed. Especially inside the Yamanote line in Tokyo, which Ueno Park definitely is. Just roll with it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

Man, I won't even ride a bicycle in that part of Shinjuku, forget driving there.

I'm convinced anybody actually parking around Shibuya or Omotesando is doing so because burning a pile of money while making a jack-off motion is frowned upon in polite society.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

I added a couple, if anyone else wants to contribute jump on in. I'd kind of like to see an at least semi-comprehensive list.

Driving in Tokyo is fine. It’s expensive, because parking or storing a car is, and it’s unnecessary, because it’s less convenient than trains and you can’t drink, but it’s not awful. Some small roads, sure, but that’s Japan. The highways are a bit confusing, but that’s also me used to Kyushu driving.

If you’re a regular tourist, you don’t need a car for Tokyo. If you want to see Daikoku PA or drive the Hakone Turnpike, you might want to just for a short time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

Oh God, yeah inaka town driving is some next level poo poo.

(21) Kei trucks going 5 kph under the speed limit on beautifully paved windy back-country roads.
(22) People stopping and having a conversation between cars at turn-ins or side roads.
(23) Old dudes almost getting into accidents because they spotted two white guys driving in a car going the other way.

Inaka life was glorious.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

TastyLemonDrops posted:

People kept telling me that Japan was expensive to visit, but I found that not to be the case as a tourist at all. Maybe it's just because I'm from New York instead of Alabama or whatever, but 30 USD a day including accommodation would have been doable if you were willing to stay at a capsule hotel and eat street food or 7/11, Lawson or Family Mart all the time.

:psyduck:

I’m not recommending anybody spend tons of money on trips to Japan but please do better than capsule hotels and conbini food every meal.

They both have their place, but as your only source? Yiiiiikes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Precisely what zmcnulty said. Other places may be the same, but the nature of Tokyo/Japan means you feel it much more than other places. I’m led to believe Singapore is much more aggressive with the A/C to the point that friends who have lived both places take sweaters with them because it’s frigid inside but tropical out.

Early July in Tokyo might also be the tail of rainy season, meaning slightly lower temperatures (“only” high 20s/70s to mid 80s/low 30s) but 95% humidity and/or soaking rain storms. Which, again, it’s possible to have fun in that, but it’s not exactly ideal.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I loving love Japan's obsession with half of a beer being foam

I sure don’t.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Mos burger is the only food place in Japan where I’ve ever had bad service.

Somebody hasn’t been to Pizza Slice I take it

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sefal posted:

Me and a friend were playing on chilling in the onsen for a couple of hours.

We didn't last 30 minutes without getting out atleast once.

Yeah, that’s part of the process. Go in and make people soup for a bit, get out and cool down, go to the sauna to heat all the way up, go sit in the cold tub. That’s the idea.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

peanut posted:

Lol no dress code those are probably dudes arriving from work, esp in Tokyo. You should wear whatever you like, njpw swag or a star wars hoodie, but cosplay might be a little too much.

Peanut nailed it, especially weeknight shows it’s guys coming straight from work. You see the same at baseball games.

Bring wrestling shirts if you’d like, if you’re not super-curvy-goon sized you might be able to buy merch shirts there too. They’ll also have stuff like towels and other goodies.

Just be sure to sing along with Minoru Suzuki’s theme and you’ll be fine.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phone posted:

It's completely wild because the coaster does overhang on the road.

IT GOES THROUGH A BUILDING

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mons Hubris posted:

Also, if we are flying into Narita, would it be better to do all our Tokyo stuff first and then go straight from Fuji to Kyoto?

Yes. It’s going to take time to get through security and from Narita into civilization the big city - shortest is the Narita Express Train, which takes about 70 mins to get to Tokyo Station. Buses take longer but may be more direct to where you’re staying. So depending on arrival times, that can eat into your time. Plus travel fatigue/jet lag.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Akihabara is nothing but mainlanders now, also. They don't even have Japanese announcements in the stores when I walked through, it's all Mandarin.

correction - all the main street electronics shops are full of Chinese tourists (this goes extra for Saturdays), but all the nerdy spots are full of American or European otaku. You won't hear much Mandarin in places like Trader or Super Potato, but you will see lots of white guys.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ntan1 posted:

And yeah, I understand and have gone to a couple of the heavies before, it's just that I live near San Francisco, where people currently cant shut up about getting reservations at Jiro or Saito. Sorry for the bias!!

Further proof the Bay Area needs to sink into the sea under the weight of its own VC money.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

peanut posted:

The reason is because there's often extras after the credits.

Marvel has taught the Japanese crowd a little too well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

Hopefully this will be the straw that gets them to ban those stupid go-karts.

I’m a little curious if a “Singaporean woman in her 30s” had a Japan-legal driver’s license, but that’s me.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Donnerberg posted:

I have no idea how they get away with loving around on the big boy streets. Touring Akihabara I could understand, but we spotted them in Ginza too. You could say they stuck out a little between the fancy rear end stores and high end cars.

They go all around inside the city. I’ve also spotted tour groups in Roppongi and Shibuya. In theory it’s controlled if you follow the leader properly but, yeah, especially for tourists without any experience driving in Japan/Tokyo, it could go sideways at some point.

Even if it’s becoming a bit of a tourist stereotype, may as well try to enjoy it while we still can.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yawgmoft posted:

I don't mind heat and humidity because I lived in a beach town for ten years.

ahahahahahaha

it'll be 84 degrees and 102% humidity. How is it more than 100% humidity? I'm not sure either, Japan is a place of wonder and miracles and awful humidity in June and July.

bring face towels and fear not the sweating. because you will sweat.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

keevo posted:

How bad is the humidity in September? I'll be there for two weeks starting in the beginning of September.

It’s usually getting fine by that point, but prepare for a bad day or two at the beginning just in case. I’m hoping it gets cool early in September too, family visiting.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It was around 108-9 in recent weeks, now it’s back 110-111. Just small moves.

Greatest problem would be if Abe turns on the money taps again.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nur_Neerg posted:

Thinking of spending two weeks of November exploring Tokyo and Kyoto; any recommendations for flights from Seattle using cash and/or points? Hoping to use Ultimate Rewards points to fly, but also trying to figure out how worthwhile that is to begin with. Costs are generally looking like ~$1000 for roundtrip with a layover, and $1400 for roundtrip without a layover.

yeah $1,000 round trip sounds about right. Seattle should get you direct to Narita with Delta or United/ANA.

Kyoto and Tokyo at that time of the year should still have the fall leaves in bright reds and oranges, which should make for good photos.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

StabMasterArson posted:

Didn't know it was specific to the line and company, guess I'll have to figure that out first. Thanks

haha lol!!

So. There are at least six rail companies around Tokyo and surrounding.

When most people talk about the “rail pass,” it’s for JR, Japan Rail. But that only covers one.

You can buy either a Suica or Pasmo commuter card, put yen on it, and it will work for all rail companies. This is especially important for changes, and to make life easier versus buying paper tickets each time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yawgmoft posted:

Why would anyone not wear shorts and a t shirt in July?

I still see young dudes in jeans and boots in like August, Japan is crazy sometimes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Phone posted:

the olympics in August are going to be a mess lol

Thought I should add emphasis here.

Though in all actuality the Rugby World Cup is more likely to have issues, as the Japan RFU is really not to be trusted.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

Japan RFU is run by dumb old men who have no idea how to run their organization or make meaningful changes to make the sport more appealing to Japanese or more international.

Eddie Jones once came by and did a talk at my firm and just dumped all over the JRFU leadership and it was glorious.

My favorite JRFU story was them inaugurating the Sunwolves and selling out of their replica jersey order for the season in the first day :psyduck: it is a literal old boys club and I think they’ve brought in outside help (Dentsu?) to run the RWC right.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yawgmoft posted:

AirBNB is bad. I recognize why people want to use it but it isn't worth the societal cost.

yep. it may not be immediately visible in Japan but it's certainly causing problems in other places.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

movax posted:

:allears:

Pretty sure there are people still in that station who first entered it years ago. Doomed forever to wander its maze.

you're confused with Shinjuku Station. by comparison, Tokyo Station is dead simple.

(don't ask about the tangle of metro stations surrounding)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

Harajuku is tiny and overcrowded due to the popularity of the area but it’s in no way confusing.

Lol at shinjuku being at the end of the list

I agree with this. Shibuya is bad, Ikebukuro is low-key up there too, but Shinjuku is a dungeon from the special bowels of hell.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yawgmoft posted:

Do you use the metro debit cards on bullet trains or just local city metro?

you technically can, but usually it's better to either A. get the JR pass as a foreign tourist or B. just directly by the tickets/fare you need from the kiosk/ticket office.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Always have cash, I know people who are act like they're allergic to cash and every single one of them ends up with a story of their card being declined on vacation and being hosed. Don't be one of those idiots. But yeah Japan doesn't stare at credit cards like some sort of weird alien artifact the way they did the first time I went all the way back in the depths of 2012. Smartphones had even become the majority over flip phones the last time I was there. :eyepop:

Yep, this is the right strategy. It's nice that card are supported more, but having cash on hand* is always the way to ensure you're fine.

*how much cash? I would recommend at least 10,000 yen. I usually carry at least that much. 10,000 can cover dinner, or some drinks, or a taxi without needing another ATM run. Sometimes all of the above.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Richard M Nixon posted:

Any advice on checking out the Sumida river fireworks later this month? I won't be buying a spot, but if wanted to catch a glimpse without getting stuck in pedestrian traffic nightmares, can I do it?

The Sumida fireworks festival around the Asakusa area is one of the biggest human nightmares I’ve ever encountered. Others have mentioned alternatives, but that many people multiplied by the inevitable heat and humidity is miserable.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I went to one of the public days a few years ago. Everything had an hour-plus line, except a couple things that were already out (like Killer Instinct on Xbox One) and Pro Evo Soccer. Unless you really want to go to say that you have, or get merchandise, or really want to go to Chiba to stand in lines all day, I’d give it a pass.

Plan a trip to Kyoto/Osaka in the spring and go to BitSummit instead, that’s full of indie games and is much more relaxed apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Richard M Nixon posted:

Looks like my seats on the plane don't have overhead storage since they're those little cabin things.

This means you’re flying at least business class. Which means I hate you. Unless you’re also over 6’4, in which case I fully understand.