Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Vidaeus posted:

Disneyland

My one advice about this list is that if you're going to Disneyland, do it on a weekday. Don't get me wrong - it will still be really crowded whenever you go, but on weekends it goes into extremely unmanageable levels.

Also, I prefer Disney Sea to Disneyland. Choose that one if you'd like to drink some alcohol at a Disney park.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

net work error posted:

Spooky is good!

A warning: Fushimi Inari has paths branching out into a large confusing forested area with many pretty hidden tiny shrines, but no light at all. I once got lost there as it was approaching sunset and had we not found a main path we would've gotten stuck there in complete darkness.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Better than Akihabara or Ikebukuru, Nakano Broadway has lots and lots of this kind of store crammed into a single place. I think you'll find pretty much anything you want over there.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Nakano Broadway is unbelievable.

I think I saw about 1/4 of it in 2.5 hours.

The sheer bizarreness of the place is fascinating even if you have no interest in otaku stuff.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

The subway maps are a joke. Some have a compass. North is always a different direction. Sometimes to the right. Sometimes down. Sometimes it's impossible to figure out because the station is a cross and there is no compass. Good times.

Up is always the way you're physically facing when looking at the map. They're supposed to be navigational tools when you're lost, which makes this way much more convenient.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

My partner is studying abroad in Japan starting in December, so we're planning on spending a week there around NYE (27 December to 3 January) in Tokyo. Any recommendations on inexpensive hotels, things to see off the beaten path, etc?

Also please feel free to let me know if the holidays is an inopportune time to visit an already stupidly expensive and crowded city.

It's inopportune in that it's the most boring time of year to be in Tokyo. That exact period is when a lot of places simply close up. People go spend time with their families on New Year and there's less stuff to do than virtually any other time of the year.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I just tried to look at the IC card compatibility chart and my brain exploded so, is there a card I can pick up in Osaka that works in Kyoto and Tokyo as well? Does it work on all subways/local trains/buses? I've only heard of Suica but that looks to be Kanto only and I'm not getting to Tokyo until the end of the trip.

In general, all cards are compatible with each other and you can use any one of them all over Japan across different transportation companies. As a tourist, the only thing to keep in mind is that you can only return a card (to get back the deposit and any charge left on it) in the area it "belongs" to - so Tokyo for Suica etc.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Question Mark Mound posted:

I've been reading that luggage forwarding services to/from hotels (or even convenience stores?) are pretty common all over Japan. If so, that would be extremely handy for a few of the more awkward travels we're making - especially as we'll have either 4 or 5 suitcases between 3 people! Is it reasonable to expect most hotels to use these and, for the days we're staying in Airbnbs, to expect most areas to have a convenience store that would accept them?

The main instances it would be useful for us would be for getting from Tokyo to Appi, Appi to Hakuba (more on this in a sec) and Hakuba to Kyoto.

For the Appi to Hakuba section, we actually have a two day break in Tokyo but could happily live out of our backpacks for this. If these luggage forwarding services tend to be everywhere, are they also able to hold bags for a couple of days?

The most well known company that does this, and the one you're most likely to use as a tourist, is Yamato Transport (also known as Kuroneko after their black-yellow cat logo), and they do everything you want. Any decent hotel will arrange for them to pick up your luggage and can accept it (even before you arrive). As for Airbnbs, it's easiest to just indicate which day and hour you want them to deliver (they work until 9pm or so), and just wait for them at the apartment. For sending luggage outside hotels, you can indeed go to many convenience stores or even request they pickup from the apartment (there's a form on their website). And yes, they can hold your luggage for up to a week without any extra charge.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

peanut posted:

It's best to give 2-3 days notice before pickup and expect 1-2 days for delivery.

Though if you don't you can just go send from a convenience store (or find one of their actual branch offices - in urban areas there's a ton of them), and they'll take your luggage immediately.

Delivery has always been next day for me (when sending cross-Japan) if I sent before noon, and as I wrote - you can specify a date up to a week ahead and a time frame for delivery.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Sand Monster posted:

Yeah, not a troll, unfortunately. It's quite rare, guess I'm "lucky".

I'd like to be less on alarmist than the other people here. You'll be fine. You're basically facing a less-severe version of the problems vegetarians and vegans face in Japan, and I've known several who had a lot of fun over here. It's far more difficult to have a gluten allergy, for example.

Sure, common western allergies aren't exactly wide-spread in Japan, but knowledge about them have improved vastly over the last decade or so, especially in the food industry. Print out one of those cards that specifies your allergies (make sure it actually says it's a medical condition), show it waiters, and no one will serve you anything you can't eat. No, I don't expect every restaurant will have something for you (ramen, for example, is probably completely out unless you find one of the few vegetarian ramen places), but a lot will - especially if you can eat seafood.

You can eat sushi and most tempura. Set meal places often have at least one menu item with grilled fish instead of meat. From what I hear, if you go to mid to high-range restaurants, chefs here are known to come up with appropriate dishes on the spot if nothing on the menu accommodates the customer's medical condition. Cheaper restaurants will still agree to do easy stuff like remove mayo from a fish. Even Japanese curry, which would usually be out if you can't eat meat, is fairly easy - Cocoichi has a vegan menu in a growing number of branches (especially in city centers), and even if you're in a store that doesn't offer that they have a special item for people with allergies. It's a funny one - they serve you a microwave-heated premade curry in a pouch that you have to pour over the rice yourself, but at least the rice is fresh and it's only 300 yen or so.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Stringent posted:

Lol, 欧米人論.

I'm not from America or Europe, so.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

DiscoJ posted:

Since you're visiting during sakura season, you should probably make more time to explore some of the nicer parks or areas. You would undoubtedly see some stuff anyway, but I'd recommend setting some time aside and maybe going for a daytime walk down the Meguro River or having a picnic in a park.

Kyoto's a nicer place to do sakura watching if you're on a tight time budget. I'd stay away from any touristy hanami spots, though, as they will be packed with people and unpleasant. When I lived there my favorite thing was to just walk along the Kamogawa river, which is beautiful when the sakura is in full bloom. You can do the short stretch between Sanjo and Shijo, which can then lead straight to other activities like Gion or Nishiki market.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

LimburgLimbo posted:

There's Greek yogurt in basically every combini now

All combini (and most supermarket) yogurt, greek or otherwise, is terrible. Seriously, yogurt is the one thing I ate in large amounts back home and completely dropped in Japan.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Original_Z posted:

Where are you from? American yogurt is so loaded up with sugar and other poo poo that you might as well just be eating ice cream.

Not American. I'm originally from Israel, a country you can talk a lot of poo poo about but no one can deny is very good with dairy-based food.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

harperdc posted:

my wife's company information told her "if you don't have the ticket for the first shot, just bring it for the second" lol

I think that's absolutely the right approach for company vaccination drives FWIW, the goal should be getting shots in arms and let the paperwork get sorted out later.

I believe all workplace vaccination works that way. I'm getting my first shot tomorrow (on the very first day of the program - thanks, company!), and they told us to bring our ticket whenever we eventually get it. It seems like that program's managed well, which is surprising in face of everything else the government's doing.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

MJP posted:

- Are there any shops or districts in Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto that would sell old sheet music/song books from video games? My wife has an old FF5 songbook that she got forever ago from a convention, we'd love to see what else is out there but it's one of those questions of what type of store to look for. Used books, used music instruments, secondhand goods in general, etc.?

I remembered this question as I walked by the bog-standard music shop in my local Chiba suburban mall. There was a full shelf dedicated to video game sheet music books, including one for every numbered Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest game, and a lot more (though the collection does seem to be centered around Square Enix RPGs, with some Sega/Nintendo/Capcom and random other stuff thrown in). These books stay in print.

I imagine larger music shops in central Tokyo would have even more.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

MJP posted:

Chiba's doable for a day trip. I'd happily head out there for the sheet music quest. Mind if I ask which shop this was?

My point was that if my suburban mall music instrument shop has a nice selection of game music books, any random one will be the same and likely the larger shops you can find in Tokyo will have even more. You don't need to do special traveling, just type "music instrument shop" into Google Maps and go to the nearest one.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Wonton posted:

If you want Japanese curry try mouyan curry, goons make great recommendations

Hinoya is the secret good Japanese curry chain. It's so much better than Coco and Go Go.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

If you’re going to rent a car/walk 40 minutes from the station for the suburban second hand shopping thing, I recommend doing some research and looking for places other than the -Off franchises. There are a lot of regional chains that *only* operate outside of big cities, and many are huge warehouses that can take you an entire day to browse instead of the smaller stores that the -Offs are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Chiba Kanteidan in, well, Chiba. Their web presence is difficult to navigate without reading Japanese but you can search for 千葉鑑定団 in a map app.

They have one location that is not their largest but is easier to access than most - about a 10 minute walk from Minami Funabashi station, which is about 20 minutes by train from Tokyo Station. That station is good for a suburban shopping day in general as it’s also right next to LaLaport Tokyo Bay, one of the largest shopping malls in Japan, and just beyond it a smaller shopping mall that has a very good Book-Off Bazaar in it (those are the larger Book-Off stores that stock clothing, electronics and a bunch of other stuff in addition to the usual fare).