Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I've got a question regarding a Japanese arcade game and I have no idea if this is the right place..

I'm halfway through my solo vacation in Tokyo. When I'm not exploring or taking stupid amounts of pictures, I hit the arcade. There's this game called Lord of Vermilion IV. Does anyone here know how to play it and can explain it? I watched some guys play and while I can't make sense of it, the card game-strategy-lite looks really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Stringent posted:

Don't know it, but it sounds like something where you'd need to be able to read to play?

I'm kinda hoping it'll be like some other japanese only games I played where, once I got the mechanics down, i can just skip all the text and get right to the game.

Also I like collecting cards and that game has some nice looking cards.

Magic Underwear posted:

I'm in tokyo. I have no idea what's going on and I loving love it.

I know right! And it only gets better..

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
After being in Tokyo for a week and bouncing around Akihabara, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku and Takadanobaba (a day each) I still feel like I haven't scratched of the city... or hell, even the parts I've been to.

Edit: forgot Ikebukuro, which I just got back from

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 7, 2018

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Decided to check out a Takarazuka show even tho my Japanese level is only n5. Didn't understood half of it, but holy hell what an amazing show.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Chilling on the 69th floor of the yokohama landmark tower is pretty sweet gotta say.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
How's the weather in Osaka in early april? I'm making plans for next year with some friends and we want to check Universal Studios there.. speaking of, does anyone know how busy it is there around that period?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Akiba also has one of the best ramen places i ate at when i was in tokyo, place called Menya Haruka. They make taiwan style ramen, which is basically without broth and with more other food stuff.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Aexo posted:

Hi Goons,

I'll be Air BnB'ing it up with a friend around Harajuku mid-October through the first or second of November. My travel companion has been in this area a few times so I'm sure I'll be good with the stuff they know about, but I was wondering if you all had any spots I should check out. We're looking to get a train pass while we're there, so travel should be covered.

We're both kind of goth/industrial people, so weird, dark, macabre, etc. things to check out would be cool. Clubs to check out? Interesting, homely, mom & pop type food joints? I'm also interested in seeing "traditional Japanese" ways of doing things, if that makes sense. Maybe visit a temple or monastery if that's not a faux pas for a gaijin to do.

If you want to go clothes shopping for goth/alternative stuff, you should check out Richards on Takeshita street in Harajuku.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Next April I'm gonna be in Osaka for 2 weeks. What are some cool/good/oscure/weird things to do/see over there?

Also would it be a good idea to dick around Kyoto and Kobe and other places near Osaka, or should i just stick to one place?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I always like finding the weird poo poo like an external USB 3.0 5.25 floppy drive that no one else on Earth would ever sell.

Found a discman with Blu-tooth capabilities at Tower Records. Did a double take when I first saw it

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The Animate in Ikebukuro is pretty fun. They have an entire floor set up to promote whatever popular anime is gonna air. When I was there, they had a whole bunch of muskets on display because of an anime that stars anime boys who are actually old muskets.

Edit: and lots of yaoi.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 15, 2018

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
When you're in Akihabara, get ready to hear the Maid Dreamin jingle at every corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkZBTkkISko

And then get ready to have the tune infecting your brain the entire time you're there.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Nobody really gave a gently caress about the stuff in my passport when i was travelling back home with regards to the duty free husbando pillows i gotf in akiba. They just looked at my passport, tourist stamp and thats it.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Does anyone know what the gay scene is like in Osaka? I'm thinking of picking up some twinks in April and I'm curious whats the best way to do it.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
What're some good ways or sites to find & buy concert tickets? I'm looking for some lesser known/indie hard rock, visual kei and metal acts to check out when i'll be in Osaka and Tokyo..

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

harperdc posted:

Also good lord people stop packing vacation days so full of trips and plans. Plan some time to just wander and explore.

This. Some of the most memorable experiences I had was just walking through Tokyo everywhere and seeing what I can find. Found a good meat restaurant in takadanobaba that way, Red Rock.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Question: I'm going to Osaka/Tokyo in April with a friend and we want to check out Universal Studios Japan. Is it better to order tickets in advance or should we just buy them at the gate? Also is the express pass worth it when we're going on a regular weekday? I've heard tales of the legendary 3 hour queues to get on a ride and I'd like to avoid that if its possible..

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Stringent posted:

afaik golden gai is all tourists now

There are a lot of tourists, but you can still find bars with mostly locals if you look hard enough.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
So since I have the tastes of a middle aged Japanese lady, i booked a ticket for Takarazuka's take on Musashi Myamoto in Hyogo. Which means I'll be in Hyogo for a day at the start of April... what's a cool thing to do there?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Stringent posted:

Commit murder, if the newspapers are any guide.

Well, I was looking to kill some boredom...

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Stringent posted:

I found the worst thing. It tastes even worse than you think.

The gently caress? Peach Coke is my fuel when I'm doing arcade runs in Tokyo. Its delicious, unlike some some green tea stuff like this.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 2, 2019

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Stringent posted:

Man, y'all are hosed up. That poo poo tasted like somebody poured peach scented toilet spray in a Coke.

Please don't kinkshame

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The best part of my vacation last year was sitting in Golden Gai with some old Japanese dudes and talk about old Gundam anime and the dick sizes of Dutch men.

Its weird for me to hear that Tokyo people are considered rude and non-communicative, when its been the opposite for me.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
One of the store owners in Harajuku took pity on me having a mountain of tiny yen, so he traded me the mountain for regular bills and 1000 coins. Nice guy.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
So I'm in Osaka and I'm hearing some weird voices broadcasting stuff in Japanese through a loudspeaker and I dunno whats happening. Which got me thinking... how can I know when there's weather/earthquake alarm going off.. and what do I do aside from dying horribly?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

peanut posted:

That's probably elections stuff. Earthquake stuff will be announced from permanent loudspeakers on buildings, with a probably with a little chime jingle.
Please schedule your natural disasters in advance so you can avoid tunnels and fallen bridges.

Sorry, mister Earthquake, we got saturday fully booked. Mister Typhoon is pulling another 24 hour job. Maybe we can slot you in Monday, just before Mister Tsunami makes his bih splash - Shinzo Abe, probably.

Also thanks. I looked around and foumd a few dorky election posters.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I'm in Osaka right now, traveling with a friend and I have a bit of a problem.. Or she does. She's extremely homesick to the point of wanting to cancel her trip and go back early. Also since everyone asks me about this when I explain the situation, she's in her mid 20s.. I feel bad for her, but have no idea what I can do to help her get over this feeling. We do stuff together, but also have time where we do stuff solo.

I want to help her, but i also dont want this to derail my vacation and relaxation time. Does anyone have any experiences or advice on what I can say/do to get her to relax?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

caberham posted:

How long is the total trip and how much time left?

The whole thing is a month and we're on day 3.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Nanigans posted:

Really not trying to sound mean or sarcastic, but...she might just be really jetlagged. Let her get a really good night's sleep to reset her clock and she might feel better?

BB2K posted:

is it her first time being overseas like ever? not trying to be a dick. my first time travelling overseas was alone for the first week, and culture shock hit me bad in the first couple days, but once i got used to stuff and started enjoying everything, i loved that poo poo.

It is. Furthest she travelled before was France. I'm thinking it has something to do with either the jetlag still hitting her or its still a bit of a shock being so far away from home. (We're from the Netherlands). I managed to talk her down that we'll wait how this week goes and that I can spend more time with her if she needs it. Set up a small plan of doing stuff together more and letting her adjust on her own pace more ie. more rest times, hanging out in quiet and relaxing places. And if she's still feeling like this by Friday/Saturday, I'll look into what we can do.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

d0s posted:

take her to shinsekai

I did. It was on the same day that she lost her poo poo at me about this...

zmcnulty posted:

The second time I came to Japan (age 15), the first night with my host family--where I knew I would be for the next 11 months--I had a sort of "what the hell have I gotten myself into" moment. Not homesick like "I wanna go home, WAAAH," but I got nauseous. Went to the bathroom, had a good puke, then immediately went to bed. I was fine from the next day on. This happened despite having been outside of the US before, despite being in Japan before, and it was like my fifth night of the trip, not even the first night.

I think the biggest difference for me when traveling internationally, regardless of the country, is trying to view my time traveling as an opportunity. There may be challenges associated with language, sure, but if you can overcome those--which is not extraordinarily difficult in Japan as most Japanese people in tourist areas are used to dealing with foreigners--you can discover great food, scenery, people, culture, or whatever. In fact, the entire tourism industry is there to help you do that. And you're here for a month, so there's plenty of time.

Giving her until the end of the week to get her poo poo together is probably the right call, assuming you value your friendship with her more and can accept the compromises you'll need to make to see it through.

On the other hand, some people straight-up need babysitting in foreign countries, regardless of the country, their age, or travel experience. Assuming you don't want to do that yourself, would hiring a tour guide for her help? Some even don't charge, Google shows a few results for services like this in Osaka.

Failing that, you're in Osaka. Drink! She may calm down after drinking with (or at least alongside) a few local Osaka people and realizing that Japanese people really aren't so much different from people anywhere else in the world.

I'm not sure the tour guide will help but I will run it past her. The thing she misses most is being able to call up friends and whenever she wants, which she cant do cause of the time differences... so she's basically really badly homesick.

The week will also be a good test for me if I can handle this stuff. I'm willing to make some concessions but I'm not going to make any big sacrifices to baby an adult woman..

I'm planning on taking her drinking today or tomorrow. Hopefully that'll help.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Welp, she's decided to waste 2000 bucks and the Tokyo part of our vacation and is going back next week...

So.... any goon (who wont shank me in a dark alley) in Tokyo feels like going to Disney World and Sea with me 2 weeks from now?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

...what timeframe and do you mind a dorky 55 year old coming too

I'll let you know when my other Tokyo friends can't make it. Its all kind of in the air right now...

Phone posted:

It’s probably for the best. Rip off the band aid now and have the spike of resentment versus it slowly building over the next 25 days as you have to bargain over every last detail and walk on eggshells.

Yeah, you're right. I gave her all the reasons why its a bad idea, suggested things like the tour guide idea and just getting her out among the Osaka people more. (We're going to a retro bar tomorrow, for example). But she was pretty adamant about this, so what can I do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Though she did agree to take some of the poo poo I bought with her back, so I can get some use out of her as a mule for dumb anime poo poo.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Also, why is Takarazuka merch so goddamn expensive? I was at the Grand Theater yesterday (holy gently caress, it looked amazing and the size of it too) and the Quatre had blu rays for like 10k yen a piece. Are they printed on gold? Or the crushed dreams of girls who never got into Takarazuka Music School?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Anyone any idea where I might find some X Japan vinyls in Osaka? Denden Town is coming up empty and I'd to have some for my collection.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

free Trapt CD posted:

King Kong in Shinsaibashi might have some, there's also Time Bomb in the same neighborhood but that's a bit more of a long shot.

There are some great record stores here, if you were really dedicated you could go to stores that focus on other genres as they might have clearance bins etc..

E: are you set on original pressings? I don't know, but a re-press might be something tower records could stock on vinyl. I don't ever go there, but if a re-press existed and they stocked records, it might be there. Worth a quick search on discogs maybe!

Thanks! I looked around in tower records in Umeda and also in Disc Union there, unfortunately no luck. Then I swung by some other other shops in denden town and nothing turned up there either. I was planning on taking another trip to Amerimura so I'll swing by those stores you mentioned too. Original pressings would be the best, but those appear to be really rare.. Oh well, at least I'm discovering new music just by digging through the records they do have.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

free Trapt CD posted:

Strange - the Umeda store supposedly has (few) copies of the new soundtrack LP. Check here and click the Kansai tab, which is the 3rd from the right in the section with 9 tabs... If you go in and ask, they might claim to not have any, but it's apparently there, somewhere.

King Kong can't be searched online it seems, so yeah, they're worth a shot - but fair warning that the prices seem pretty high, at least referencing discogs etc.. If you're brave enough to use Mercari, there seems to be a lot of X Japan LPs there, albeit for premium prices!

But that's not as much fun as the search, anyway.

I've mentioned it before, but the Namba Book Off has records too, if you're really desparate! Have fun digging!

I was in the Nuchayama store. They don't have it in stock there. Didnt check Marubiru cause goddamn there are a lot of shopping centres in Umeda lol.

Yeah, I'm prepared to pay the premium price for an original pressing. X Japan's always been hot as hell, especially now after the release of the documentary. Definitely will check out Namba book off. Thanks a lot for the advice!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

caberham posted:

Is your friend back home? Maybe you can do a whatsapp call at around 4pm japan time and say hello to check up on her :henget:

Nah, she's leaving on Friday. And of course, she's too scared to travel alone to the airport so I'm going to guide her all the way to the security checkpoint of KIX at 7 in the goddamn morning because I'm a goddamn good friend and goddamn next time I need to pick better people to travel with. :tif:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

are you loving kidding

I really goddamn loving wish.

A few days ago we were at the aquarium Kaiykukan and she wanted to go to back to Tennouji afterwards, while I wanted to hit up Umeda. But because she saw that the Osaka loop line had some technical troubles and she'd had to take a different route than the opposite of how we got there, she nearly broke out in tears when I said that I wouldn't guide her back through an alternate route because she's got a cellphone and google loving maps. She only calmed down when I relented and guided her back through the Osaka Metro back to Tennouji. Which still is, I swear to god, a loving cake walk. So I had to can my Umeda plans for the day to hold the hand of a 24 year old woman.

She's a sweet girl, but goddamn I did not expect to have taken a woman-child with me on this vacation.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 9, 2019

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

BB2K posted:

come on dude, just pop her on the airport bus/train in the morning and go

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah, uh, :sever: from her and let her get her rear end to the airport on her own, :wtc:

Pollyanna posted:

Dude, she needs therapy and some loving anxiety meds. This is not at all normal. Is she super sheltered, has she just had everyone else lead her places, never gone out on her own? This is the behavior of someone who hasn’t tried to be independent since puberty began.

She probably is. I must admit, I took her on because a year ago I posted on fb a message of "Hey who wants to come to Japan with me a year from now?" and she answered without any hesitation. We had several talks on how this is gonna work and I told her several times "Hey, I'm kind of bad with the social thing, so there will be days where we will both be doing our own thing independently, is that cool?" and she agreed every single time.

gently caress we were supposed to go to a karaoke bar this evening, but she said she was tired from "Walking around the entire day" ... when she went out at around 1 in the afternoon and was back at the airbnb by 6 in the evening. And a few hours were spend reading a book. Meanwhile I was out from 10 to 7 trekking through Umeda. Holy gently caress, I'm sorry to be melting down a little in this thread but this is really infuriating when I want to show her a good time and drag her outside the bubble, but she's being a bitch about everything. Why come here with me when you're gonna park your rear end on a bench and read a goddamn book the entire time?

Phone posted:

She’s really going out of the way to destroy anything resembling a positive relationship with you

She trashed that the moment she booked the ticket back on day loving 4. All of this? I'm just handling as a courtesy to the friendship I've had with her brother.

We're going to Universal Japan tomorrow and thank god there is no possible way that can go wrong...Oh wait I have to guide her back to loving Tennouji again on the way back. :cripes:

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The only reason I even wanted to travel with a friend was to improve my social skills and spread my love of Japan around. Oh well...

Went with her to Universal Japan today. Went off without a hitch, poo poo was great, butterbeer was actually good and goddamn they really need to cut down on that popcorn there cause its the worst smell. Also the express pass saved our lives.

vv That is the best lesson, indeed. And if I had to suffer to serve as a warning to others, then I'm okay with it.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 10, 2019