Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

On the topic of ryokans/onsen I’m starting to put together plans for a trip and would appreciate recommendations for the mid to high end stuff. Requirements are English/foreigner friendly, in room private onsen, and ideally in a place that’s not too far from Tokyo/Osaka with touristy stuff in the area for a day trip. Last time I went to Madoka no Mori in Hakone and really liked it but am considering trying something new this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

harperdc posted:

Keep in mind you can spend like $1,000/night on a ryokan and not even scrape the high end. Gets expensive quick. Putting that stay on a weekday should help though.

Any specific “high end” names? I was looking for some and the highest I found were in the 1k/night range (USD).

Edit: or do you mean ones that don’t take foreigners lol

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Nur_Neerg posted:

Looked at my itinerary from a few years ago because the Ryokan I booked in Hakone was fantastic... It was Madoko-no-mori XD.

I will also vouch for madoka no mori

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Anyone know what the heck is going on with foreign visas and suica/passmo on iPhone? I googled this issue and can see chatter about it going back months but there still appears to be no resolution. Getting a little antsy since my trip is coming up and I don't have any amex or mastercards.

Edit: foreign issued visa credit cards, not travel visas

Virtue fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 20, 2022

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Haven’t really seen many really tourist trapping places other than those stands in tsukiji or kuromon selling a stick if wagyu or king crab leg for ¥4000. Big chains with English menus might be a little more expensive than hole in the wall places but a lot more accessible.

Speaking of, tourist heavy places feel weird rn. Way fewer to no mainland Chinese and a lot more SEA and SK folks.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 7, 2022

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Yamasaki one is pretty small and they limit your tastings to 3 but it might be the easiest way to taste the rare stuff. Gift shop selection kinda sucks too so you won’t be stocking up on stuff to take home. There’s a tour you can do but I haven’t done it myself.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Did that once, never again

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I travel very light and even to me changing hotels that often is bonkers. Can't imagine trying to do it with a group.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Looking to plan a summer trip to Hokkaido/Sapporo at some point. Anything I should know about the area? I assume we'll need a car and should travel relatively light since it seems like outside of Sapporo we'll be changing hotels every day or two. Been to Japan a few times in the past but only the big areas with public transit (Osaka/Kyoto/Tokyo).

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

I need to find out how to say "I'm a dumb bitch and don't understand any of the super polite conjugation you're using, please use the most basic of Japanese with me. I promise you're not being rude."

The more helpful a Japanese person is trying to be, the less likely I am to know what they're telling me.

If you struggle enough in preschool-level nihongo it gets there eventually unless they are more confident in speaking English than the average person. Still, as someone who has a very basic understanding of casual Japanese and almost no understanding of keigo I really empathize with this. I should probably find some youtube videos or something that cover the basics of that before my next trip.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Any recommendations for a translation app that includes the reading as well as the kanji for English to Japanese?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Good Listener posted:

Going to start looking for flight stuff I think and was curious if any of y'all used like a AAA travel agent to do this or just went on your own with like Priceline and such haha.
My last out of country trips were school related ones (not counting a 3 day job interview stay in Toronto like 12 years ago).

Book direct whenever possible my dude

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Anyone have updates on the foreign visa problem? I'm getting a little worried since it's still not fixed for suica and I ran into issues with smartex today.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Planning a day trip to Kobe and naturally would like to eat some Kobe beef while I'm there. Any recommendations? Lunch or dinner is fine, but needs to be somewhere I can reserve beforehand as a gaijin. I have Wakkoqu penciled in for now.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Planning a trip to Fukuoka and trying to decide on which onsen town to hit. Kurokawa, Beppu, and Yufuin all seem popular. Looking at the 80-120k/night range for 2 but could be convinced to go higher. In room bath is a plus. Anyone have trip reports/recommendations? First time to Kyushu.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Anyone been to Nagasaki Bio Park before? It looks interesting but quite a pain to get to (3 hours on a city bus round trip).

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Planning a trip to Fukuoka and staying in the vicinity of Hakata Station. Any recommendations for good restaurants? Fancy or cheap or anything in between. I usually check the Michelin guide to find things but it's pretty sparse for the area and mostly has Kaiseki/Sushi which (while delicous) I'll be eating a lot of already.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

The Hakata Station area is not all that great IMO, I stayed near there and always went somewhere else to find good stuff. It's not a huge distance but if you can find a hotel for the same price around Tenjin/Tenjin-minami I'd stay there instead.

Thanks for the tip, I found a few hotels to think about 5-10 minutes away from the tenjin station/mall.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

As for your second point, it's my personal opinion and one that is perhaps not shared by others, but I would rather that people stick with easy phrases that show they made some token effort and then when it comes to anything of substance that they stick with the language they're used to and know. At a certain point, when you do speak enough of the language and can actually meaningfully keep up then it changes, and where that point is depends on the situation, but before that, it annoys me (again, perhaps irrationally) so much to see tourists stumbling along when I know if they just asked in English, they would get an answer. I also feel like doing that in some way invalidates all the effort they may have put into THEIR English study. Like, I put in all this effort to study and learn English so I can help you in your language and here you are barely intelligible, making me struggle despite all this effort I did so neither of us would have to struggle so much. Not trying to be as aggro as I sound, it's just a pet peeve of mine, I guess.

This worries me a little and I hope I haven't been stepping on any toes. As a tourist I enjoy the opportunity to practice speaking the local language when I travel but OTOH I don't think I've ever tried to do that with someone who was proficient enough in English to have the conversation exclusively in that language anyway. I have run into a few people in customer service roles who requested to engage in Japanese instead of English even though they had some basic proficiency so maybe it just depends on the person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

On a personal question though: when shopkeepers talk super fast when counting out my change, are they saying anything else that I should be paying attention to? I can tell that they're saying the coins that they're supplying and the total amount of change and how much I gave them but it's all so fast that I have no idea if they're saying anything else so I just give a quick "arigatou" and head on my way.

Probably asking if you want a bag. At a conbini they'll ask if you want something heated up or if you need utensils. I've also had some ask if I wanted the hot and cold items bagged separately.