Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Pretty accurate blossom forcast:

http://www.jnto.go.jp/sakura/eng/index.php

Hope I can come again this Easter! I can never get sick of Japan. If I didn't live so close to Japan I would have traveled around the god drat freaking world already. It's too convenient and too fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ntan1 posted:

Hi

I feel like complaining just because I can. Getting concert tickets for Japan internationally is a loving PITA.

Also not to mention that every form requires a Japanese phone number and a Japanese address, which I usually have to fake by using my old/dead phone number from a few years ago or my old dead address from a few years ago or a hotel address.

Thanks

AKB 48 has a special foreigner's pass for easy tickets

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's cuz you got tired of it already right?

:downsrim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NcIGBKXMOE

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VPD-pq818U

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

TWSS posted:

My partner and I just snagged a flight that will put us in Japan from March 8th to 22nd. She's really interested in traditional Japan and is super-excited to see the temples in Kyoto, but I have a massive fetish for JDM cars (I have an '85 MR2) and would love to check out engineering/technology museums in addition to the more traditional stuff. I'm interested to hear any recommendations you might have.

Also, I will puke and poo poo for 8 hours if I consume fish or beans and I need an epi-pen if I have peanuts or peas. Will an allergy like that be a problem in Japan?

Get one of those food allergy print out cards with pictures. People will take you way more seriously and it's easier to understand with a picture printed card

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Me and my boyfriend are are both vegans and allergic to rice and on a very tight budget, could you recommend some restaurants in Tottori?

Thanks!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Hey guys I have some questions maybe you can help me with.

I met my wife in Japan 2 years ago while I was over there teaching English for a semester. I'm now 32, she's 22. We started dating, got engaged, married, and she came over to the US via the K1 visa program about 5 months ago.

There are several issues that have come up since we got married and moved in together. I'm hoping for some goon advice from others in relationships, even if they're not exactly like this. Keep in mind she has been in the US officially for about 5 months. I understand there is a huge cultural change and learning curve, but some of this is crazy.

It's not just a cultural gap, there's a generation gap as well! Props for you being patient enough with young people. I can't handle college kids anymore. Especially the OMG I'm on an adventure in Asia types.

quote:

1) She still hasn't learned to drive. But not through lack of trying. She has extremely bad nerves, and every time she even gets in the driver's seat she freaks out and starts shaking and sweating. We tried parallel parking once and she just floored it while the E-brake was still on. I had to physically pull her foot off the pedal. We try driving at least half an hour a day and she's gotten no more comfortable with it.

The goony answer I have is try euro truck simulator. I'm not sure where you guys are in US, but if you really need to drive and can't take much ubers or public transportation then I guess you will be the one driving. Or work out some car pool :ohdear:

quote:

2) Her English is pretty good, but she still prefers speaking Japanese all the time. My Japanese is alright, but I don't catch everything, especially slang and things like that. Many times after an argument she'll run into the bedroom, lock the door, and start yelling things at me in Japanese that I don't understand.

Arguments are fine, but what are you guys arguing over and what is the frequency? How do things escalate between you two? Does she not like being challenged? Do you not like being challenged? Who is the one who initiates a compromise? Again, there's not much for me to say except 22 years old is really really young. We all grow up without knowing and I was really obnoxious when I was 22. Luckily I'm getting better and more attractive as I age :goonsay:

quote:

3) We are having some money issues - mostly tied to the fact that I'm the only one working. I'm a substitute teacher, and work is spotty at best. I also do work as a landscaper but it's winter so there's nothing going on. So finances are TIGHT right now. We've looked for work she can do from home until the driving situation is fixed, but most of it needs a way better understanding of English.

There's online translation work I guess? Or reach out to the local Japanese community (if there is one) Sorry to hear about the tough job situation

quote:

4) We still haven't consummated our marriage. The most she's willing to do is some stuff with her feet, no actual intercourse. This is a nerves thing again.

THAT'S hosed UP I was going to say something vulgar like "man, a 22 year old, what is this, some JAV fetish? She better be good in bed" And you already commit a marriage to a possibility of dead bed? That's crazy

:negative:

I was always curious about foot jobs. Man the biggest issue you have isn't cultural, is that you are dating someone with a lot of issues and your finances are in dire straights.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I hope I got trolled

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you want to be around Himeji, Kyoto, Nara, Osaka (sucks) - try the Kansai West pass. As for going from Tokyo to Kyoto you are pretty much boned on a one way shinkansen.

Or go National but you will be under a tighter time frame

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

net work error posted:

How long do cherry blossom trees stay in bloom usually? Especially in the Tokyo area.

Reposting this from a few pages ago

http://www.jnto.go.jp/sakura/eng/index.php

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Depends on your skill and snow conditions. Everyone likes to go to Niseko. But it's really really crowded and locals like to go to other nearby mountains (a lot to choose)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Thrasophius posted:

Looking to travel to japan this year, not really looking to travel about the place too much so would prefer to stop in one area. What's a good place to go to in Japan for someone who has never been?

This is a really general post
  • How much time do you have
  • When are you going
  • What's your freaking budget
  • What do you like to do
  • Are you going there for a new Waifu

Everyone, myself included will say Tokyo because it's a giant city with amazing parks and amazing transportation network to get out of the city and flights are much easier to catch and the museums are cool and there are lots of new restaurants and I like hanging out with Tokyo goons and I spend my time not in Japan posting in this thread because I miss Japan and I will be in Japan very soon (Easter)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Then it's time for a new laifu.

Oh and OSAKA SUCKS

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So are you there for a new waifu?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Can't really help you with the night club bit, but there are a tonne of amazing Japanese style cocktail bars like little smith. Seems like Tokyo is the place for you. But if you want sleaze, then go straight for Osaka.

As for sight seeing, I think everyone likes to sight see, so I don't know what you like. I mean there's Kyoto being the old imperial capital and all with a gently caress tonne of temples and amazing architecture. If you do go to Tokyo book an appointment beforehand at the imperial household agency for a palace tour.

If you are from Scaborough North Yorkshire or haven't really traveled to Non European places or haven't been to Asia then everything is going to feel weird for you. The streets, the food, the crowd, the OTAKU, the karaoke, the washlets.

Or maybe everything is just normal and you are the weird one

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8HSjhQ7Z2o

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Vidaeus posted:

What kind of interesting/whacky/cool placess are there to visit in Tokyo? I am travelling there with my wife, we will be there from Sunday 20/03 to Saturday 26/03. We're staying at an apartment near Tokyo Tower. So far, the stuff we want/have booked to see is:
Disneyland
Studio Ghibli Museum
Pokemon museum
Tsukiji fish market
Imperial palace
Tea ceremony (anyone recommend a place?)
Ninja Akasaka restaurant
Gardens/parks (recommendations?)
Temples (recommendations?)
Akihabara

Interested in seeing cultural/historical/engineering stuff. Also, weird stuff like owl cafes and poo poo like that.

Great post. As other people have said, there's Asakusa - It's the temple district. Eat In Nakasei.

As for Gardens, Shinjuku park is great, and of course Ueno.
Fish Market, avoid Sushi Dai or the other places with super long lines. There are lots of other alternatives. And don't eat Sushi Zanmai when you are in Tsukiji.

6 days and your itinerary should have more than enough stuff to do. Also do check out Shibuya

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
HEY GOONS I JUST BOUGHT TICKETS TO TOKYO! AGAIN! FOR THE NTH TIME!

GOOOOOOON MEEEEEEEEEEET :neckbeard:

We had Mexican food. We had all you can eat hot pot. What else do you guys want?

Also, I'm looking for some Hakone recommendations for private bath - 2 nights. I don't mind spending more money for a more "authentic" place which uses cancer sulphur water run by a family with 500 years of Patriarchy baggage.

caberham fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 29, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
http://www.gorakadan.com/en/gorakadan/guestroom/room04.html

72 000 yen a night. Mother fucker why do you have to be so expensive Japan :qq:

Welp too late. All full. I blame mainlanders

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I will land in Narita Mar 28 night, Will go to Hakone 29 - 31. Then stay in Tokyo until 6th.

peanut posted:

Hello! I recommend now through May to avoid mosquitoes, or October for festivals in Ehime. There's not too many onsen on Shikoku, but Dogo Onsen in Matsuyama is the oldest, and Iya Valley in Tokushima has all the onsen ryokan (and Kazura-bashi bridge). We stay at Nagoma on Oshima (Imabari) at least once a year (not real onsen water but the food is excellent).
There are some cool temples on the 88 pilgrimage like Ishiteji, Sankakuji, Zentsuji...
Ride a bike across Shimanami Kaido.
My town has MINETOPIA if you like bubble era money drains. There's also a new art museum but please don't come just for that :sadpeanut:
Summer offers rafting (Happy Raft), Yosakoi, Awa Odori and 90% humidity!

I also heartily recommend going to Saijo and riding Peanut's kei car or renting a car. I do want to go to Shikoku again, but you are much better off with a car

Aredna posted:

Who are you? I think someone hijacked the original persons account because you used to tell everyone to go to Sushi Zanmai in Tsukiji.

Also - wtf don't go to Shinjuku park. It is VERY different than Shinjuku-Gyoen. The former is where you go to see homeless people while the latter is beautiful.

I'm a changed man, I won't be drinking alcohol this time!

I still like sushi zanmai, just not in Tsukiji :ohdear:

Nowadays I shill for Sushi Ichiyanagi. http://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1301/A130101/13156961/

Also Kyubei http://www.kyubey.jp/en

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
A very good PLZ HELP post.

Vidaeus posted:

Righto, thanks everyone for the Tokyo tips.

Nikko temple sounds great.
We're already booked for Disneysea on a Thursday
I'll probably avoid the maid cafe/girl ear cleaning stuff. I'm travelling with my wife and she gets super jealous of stuff like that.
Aredna: What's the tip about leaving your cash/cards at home for? Is there dodgy stuff?

There's no dodgy stuff in Japan unless you are actively seeking it out. It's a cash based society so have lots of cash ready. Nikko is great, but I recommend spending a night there, you can go there for a day trip but it's really rushed unless you stay near Asakusa. Lake Chuzenji is also beautiful. However, skip Nikko if you are planning on going to Kyoto/don't know much about Buddhism/Japanese history. Instead of going to a maid cafe, you should take your wife to a butler cafe. Then lord over her how not jealous you are (comedy)

quote:

Sapporo 17th March to 19 March
Skiing/snowboarding at one of the ski areas close to the city (we're both beginners)
Sapporo beer museum
General look around town

Beer museum is decent. But I like the craft brew in Tokyo a lot more. Sapporo is a great landing city because it's a giant grid just like North America. I recommend learning skiing before going to Japan, you just save a lot more time and it's much better value than spending a whole day falling and getting tired. There's also the Shiroi Kobito factory - famous cookie place (which you can buy in all airports)

Osaka 30 March to 1 April
Kyoto day trip - Kinkakuji, Kyoto castle, any other good spots?
Osaka castle
Cherry blossoms
Eating, there's that food area near some big tower?
General look around the city
[/b]

Honestly, since you are already visiting all those other cites and spending time in Tokyo, I would skip Osaka and spend more time in Kyoto/Nara.

Yokosuka 2 April to 6 April
Kawazaki penis festival
Day trip to one of the lakes near Fuji
Cherry blossoms
Not sure what else
[/quote]

GOOOOOOON MEEEEEEEEEEET

Actually your itinerary looks pretty solid but it seems you are packing in a lot of stuff. Especially when you are traveling with a spouse. If you are normally fine being nimble and doing things back to back then great. If not, it can be a bit of a schlep packing bags every other day

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Don't follow touts anywhere!

Gundam cafe was awesome. I watched a whole hour of opening and closing scenes of different GUNDAM with my girlfriend. It was ~~~bliss~~~

APRIL 2ND saturday goon meet? Let's do it. Maybe do penis festival by day? dickbuttt

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Aredna posted:

They can be fun - but you better leave your cash and cards at home or be experienced

I can be your your guide of roppongi - and find you what you want - for better or worse!

party and drink until 5am and eating Wendy's. IT'S TOO MUCH

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ntan1 posted:

I've never thought of ramen as a social occasion

Man going to a Soba bar in London was annoying. I waited 40 minutes in line and it turns out people go there on "special dates" and linger forever. It's just soba, and nothing fancy or exotic. gently caress those guys.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Soricidus posted:

don't order japanese food in london, or any other eastern food that isn't indian

preferably just don't be in london in the first place

I was in Europe for 3 weeks and London was a fun city to visit. It's one of the cultural capitals of the world and shouldn't be so easily dismissed.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Jesus loving Christ

http://www.insidekyoto.com/japan-rail-pass-is-it-worth-it

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You just come out slightly on top if it's a round trip. And there's the perk of JR trains being free.

However, if you are just going Tokyo and Kyoto, the greatest value is flying open jaw and not making the return trip.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Try the beer there. It's surprisingly good and the bottle is beautiful.

And show up to whatever booking even 5 min before start. One thing I like about Japan is how on time everyone is. I was surprised that some restaurants refuse walk ins even when people are late and the tables are empty

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

You weren't impressed, you were really pissed off.

Then I was in Tokami and got convinced by the ways of JAPAN

ManDingo posted:

I was going to buy N'ex tickets now for our arrival in Tokyo Saturday 3/19 and I read this on the website (http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/tickets.html):

"When traveling from Narita Airport, it is recommended that travelers purchase their N'EX tickets after arriving."

Is it safe to assume there will be seats available?

Lots of trains running everyday, like every half hour. And there are also different train companies operating in the airport. Just get tickets when you arrive, you will be fine.

ManDingo posted:

Oh and on a food related note. If you go to one of the crazy busy ramen places can you take it to go and not use up a seat? I have a feeling I will not be popular with my crappy chop stick skills and would prefer to not be rushed.

Take out is frowned upon in restaurants. It's just not a thing. If you worry about your lovely chop stick skills, bring your own set of cutlery and a pair of food scissors. It works for infants and it will work for you :waycool:

SpiderLink posted:

Thanks very much, DiscoJ, that was extremely useful!

Last question: we're having some difficulty with Sakura House. Does anybody know if the apartment listings on gaijin pot are trustworthy? Any other listings I should look at?

Paraphrasing another goon "gently caress sakura house" There's Airbnb or all sorts of alternatives in this day and age. I tend to side on AirBNB

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Azubah posted:

We're going to Akihabara, the Gundam museum, and Ghibli museum off the top of my head. I'm pushing to go to the Robot Restaurant, Square Enic cafe, and NIntendo/Pokemon centers too. I plan on checking out the suicide forest if my friend doesn't chicken out.

I'd like to check out some cool places, interesting shrines, decent food, etc. For instance is there a really good mom and pop place for food? Is there other places like Akihabara that isn't as crowded?

We'll be in Akiruno.

Akihabara is crowded because every place that isn't crowded gets advertised on the internet and becomes crowded. Especially nowadays with the new influx of Chinese tourists. But Kanda is one stop over and really cool and low key with mom and pop restaurants. There's an amazing curry place, a kick rear end tonkatsu, and a spicier ramen restaurant. If you have never been to Tokyo, there are a bajillion places to go. Heck just walk along Nihonbashi and you find some nice restaurants.

If you are in Shinjuku, shout out to Tokyo hipster goon approved Mouyan curry - http://www.foodintokyo.com/0333715532/ I suppose if you are looking for mom and pop, then yeah, Kanda or other more residential areas along the JR line. Then again, most mom and pop places serve sentimental value instead of culinary value

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You can walk around Gion for a little bit and some of the major temples but you are missing out.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's going to cost you, but try eating here

http://www.kyoto-tsuruya.co.jp/kyoto.html

The tempura is heavenly light and good.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

Nice view of the city from the mountain top as well. Just be sure to bring your own drinks because the vending machines are super expensive. Also there's no open bathrooms at night, so pace yourself!

As far as other night stuff, you could go down to Kamogawa River and [strike]get drunk[/strike] hang out. I know there's always a ton of people near the Sanjo bridge. Lots of foreigners too. I know Kyoto's nightlife probably isn't anything at all compared to Tokyo, but if you have time to burn it can be fun. :) Also that whole Sanjo/Shijo area has lots of shops, restaurants, and bars, so it's not like the town is completely dead.

This person is a cool person. Just saying

Vidaeus posted:

I'm going to be travelling between Hiroshima and Osaka on Wednesday 30/03 and would like to stop off at Himeji on the way. I have 3 questions:

1) Is it possible to do this via Shinkansen?
2) We will have suitcases, is there a place to store 2x normal size suitcases around the train station?
3) How long is appropriate to see the castle? 2 hours?

Yeah someone mentioned larger coin lockers but the cooler thing to do is to use the black cat service and send your bags to your destination without lugging it across train stations

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

Visiting Japan Dec. 9th-23rd.

I'm just in the process now of looking at where to go, stay, what to do, etc. Anyone have any links that they found useful? Youtube series or anything? Places they stayed that they liked?

Probably going to be visiting Hiroshima->Osaka->Kyoto->Tokyo. Not sure where we're flying in yet.

Go here

https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Japan

And skim the thread

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That's plenty of time to switch over to a complete vegetarian diet.

Good post

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Futaba Anzu posted:

How and when do I handle reserving hotels and exchanging money? And are there any other things I should keep in mind to make sure I don't gently caress myself over once I get there?

I don't know if asking for advice for a trip in December right now is considered early, but I just want to be absolutely prepared.

It's too dangerous for you to leave the country. Don't go

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Futaba Anzu posted:

I will also peruse this site. Thank you

Actually you should go here and write a trip report

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aokigahara

after killing yourself

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Citibank ended operations in Japan last November as far as I know. Just a minor tidbit. But really guys, if you have trouble getting money you shouldn't fly anywhere. It's as bad as not knowing how to wipe your rear end

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

Wow, so much bad ATM info in this thread.

1. Citibank ended operations in Japan in November 2015

That's not last November? Citibank ATMs are relatively common across the world, I was using them fine October but when it was December I got boned and just switched up to HSBC.

quote:

2. You probably shouldn't wipe back-to-front

Bidets are the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

I was making fun of Aredna by starting their post with "So much bad info" and then repeating what everyone else had already said.

jokes.

I'm dumb. I keep on getting trolled by everyone in this thread.