Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm gonna be in the Hirosaki area of Aomori in a couple weeks. Does anybody have recs for places to go/eat at there? I'm considering renting a car, so it can be a bit in the weeds.

Also I guess I'll be in Tokyo and Kansai, but those are much more well documented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

peanut posted:

Like up at the university? Iirc it's pretty isolated so there's a good chance you'll easily hit ever good cafe and izakaya in a 5km radius.

I have no idea if it's by the university. We're staying here: http://www.romantopia.net/

It looks like there's nothing nearby and we're going to relax mainly, but if there's anything worth checking out, y'know.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

totalnewbie posted:

Nebuta Matsuri is first week of August, but you might be gone by then.

Unfortunately, yeah. We didn't learn about it till we had already bought our return tickets.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Just popping in to say I just spent 4 days in Aomori and I wish I had spent more time in Aomori

Aomori rules

Apples

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

peanut posted:

Did you go to Osore-zan?????? (Mount FEAR) It looks spookycool.

I wanted to, but apart from a Nagomi Visit in Aomori-shi we mainly just drove around Hirosaki doing apple-related things.

Learning to drive on the other side was weird and fun.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Granite Octopus posted:

Is it worth hiring a car in that area? And is apples the biggest draw card?

The trains in Aomori seemed to run only 1 every 40 minutes and busses weren't much more frequent.

If you're comfortable with/trying the side of the road/car they drive on I say do it. It's not that expensive for the convenience and also the experience.

Around Hirosaki there are some really nice forested mountain roads. On the way back to the hotel one night I saw some tanuki taking a stroll and a loving gigantic owl.

Also they're very good apples, and you can even go apple picking. Hirosaki in particular also has a Zen Temple District, as well as a fuckton of onsen.

I just love that level of inaka a lot. I find it extremely relaxing. I wouldn't leave if I could help it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Granite Octopus posted:

Sounds great. I've been twice before and never felt the need for a car, but we want to go exploring a bit further out of the main population areas so having a car for that area sounds like the way to go. Seems that trying to return the car to a different location costs way more, so might hire from Aomori and return back there.

I was hoping to find somewhere that would rent out MX-5s but didn't have any luck. Might settle for a manual kei car instead.

Dunno if it helps but I rented from the JR rentacar at the station and it was pretty affordable. They gave me a Yaris, which bleh, but for something to learn a new way to drive with it was fine.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

It's certainly not what you're looking for but the Yurei Izakaya in Kichijoji is a really fun spooky themed place to go with friends.

And the food is good and not too expensive.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

peanut posted:

Three weeks is a long time just for Nara, why not get a bicycle and do those things other posters suggested. Tohoku is good for sakura because it peaks after school/work resumes after spring break.

Tohoku is good in general!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

CopperHound posted:

I recommend getting over any issues you may have with being naked around a bunch of other naked people before coming here.

I just sucked it up the first time and the anxiety just kinda melted away in the hot water. Also the fact that nobody gives a fuuuuuck that your dick is out.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

There's also the Shinjuku VR Zone that's pretty rad.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Definitely get a washlet. It's a game changer.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Stumbling Block posted:

The only issue with getting a washlet is that you need a power source nearby for it. Some people just don't want to run some power extension cords around their bathrooms for it. Some for aesthetic reasons, others for safety.

if you're lucky you can put in a switch with an outlet underneath and just run a short cord to it. i was not so lucky so i do have a long cord going around the cornet, but i can't think of a better way to die than at the hands of my cheap toshiba washlet.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

yukata are good and cool and wearing them to appropriate occasions is fine imo

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

nihonbashi is good.

also kaiyukan and the mall near it are great.

there's also tenjinbashisuji which is the longest shopping street in japan.

really just go wherever it's a chill city.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

akiba was not a good time this last trip there

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

If you're buying toothpaste in Japan buy apaguard. It's remineralizing.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

there are worse ways to spend a night than in a nicer love hotel

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Renting a car in Aomori was one of the best decisions I made this last trip.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

ALFbrot posted:

They also said they were going for less than three months.

My job literally sent me to work in an office in Japan for three months and nobody cared that I was just on a tourist visa.

Yeah I worked in a children's home for a full tourist visa and nobody gave a single poo poo.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Tottori also has Shigeru Mizuki road if you're into that kind of stuff.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

From the sound of it they went twice.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Bloodnose posted:

I went to a Bob's Big Boy in Kyoto during the whatsit festival with the big fire 大字 on the mountain and I don't regret it at all. Extremely good festival meal. Only wish I wore my jinbei

do these even exist in the us anymore? i've only heard of them in whisper and legend.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

There's a couple here in southwest Ohio. There are some American chains that moved entirely to Japan though, like Lawson.

woah i had no idea lawson was an american chain. the only one i knew about like that was tower records.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Phone posted:

Prices will drop mid January.

So I should wait to grab my tickets for next November then? It's $700-900 right now so I was gonna spring, but if they'll get cheaper...

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I should mention that I'm flying LAX <-> KIX, not Tokyo. I don't know if that changes anything.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Phone posted:

There are deals that pop up for like $500 for LAX to NRT, but if $700-900 is acceptable, go for it.

Yeah. 900 for JAL seems really good imo. I might just go for it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

What would be good from lax to kix then, ntan.

E: and then how do I get said price

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 28, 2018

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

What they all said. Tokyo Disney is different enough to be a nice change of pace for people who go to the US parks a lot, but DisneySea is completely different.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Also DisneySea has a water ride that gets wetter in the summer and I think it's the most soaked I've ever gotten at a theme park.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

imo stay longer in aomori because it kicks rear end there

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

go apple picking in hirosaki. i have a friend who works at the apple park and it's a fun time.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

You can check if Romantopia's bath is open. I have a more narrow experience than Ntan, but I thought it was pretty nice. It has an extremely pretty view of Mt. Iwate.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

If you're getting a rail pass you can even get a discount on car rental through JR.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

honestly if you're trying to "go native" 3 days anywhere in the country is probably fine.

it's just when you try to be touristy that you run out of things to do.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i agree with the above post

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

holy poo poo dude. a week isn't nearly enough for all of that.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

yeah i just plan some stuff i wanna hit up and then just kinda live and do w/e the rest of the time. but it's also not nearly my first time, so idk.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

does anybody have experience with kumano kodo trips? we're thinking about doing that whole thing (an easier one) this year and wouldn't mind thoughts from others.

e: we're looking at doing this https://www.kumano-travel.com/en/model-itineraries/3-days-E1-kumano-kodo-highlight-walk-nakahechi

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

You only have to get over it once to learn how much onsen own