Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What's the best way for me to learn Japanese?

Any good software or online tools?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I'm traveling to Tokyo next year and will be there for five days. What would you guys recommend me doing?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Skimming the past ten pages, all you guys talk about is food.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Great suggestions!

Anything video game related that's cool?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Phone posted:

there's akihabara and nakano broadway, square's in shinjuku, there's probably a poke center somewhere, and there's a bunch of theme cafes too

if you want to go to studio ghibli museum, you have to pre order your tickets on the 10th day of the month before you plan to go

Cool. Is there a lot of good arcades and old game shops there?

mikeycp posted:

There's also the Shinjuku VR Zone that's pretty rad.

Looks cool.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So what's the best way getting around Tokyo? Train?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ntan1 posted:

Tokyo is a large city and there are many options for getting around. The choices can be broken down into public and private transportation.

The main options for public transportation include the new metro system, buses, and taxis. Rickshaws are interesting alternatives to these.

The Tokyo metro system is the newest form of public transportation in the city. Recently constructed and officially opening in 2002, it has been touted as Asia’s best rapid transit system. It is fast, efficient, fairly priced and environmentally friendly. Currently there are three lines serving a total of 59 stations around the city. A route map is available and also posted at the stations. It is one of the most user-friendly systems in the world. For complete information, visit the Tokyo Metro Home Page .

There are over 2000 public buses serving Tokyo, but they are not comfortable by Western standards (hot and crowded). They are however cheap and have many available routes. For more information, visit the Tokyo Toei Bus Corporation . A lot of new buses have been introduced in Tokyo. These buses run on CNG and are considered nature friendly. The green ones are non AC and the red ones are AC.

A very comfortable way to get around Tokyo is by taxi, though the yellow and black Ambassadors are neither air conditioned nor in very good shape. There are thousands of cabs operating in the city and are not hard to find. Rides can be pre-arranged or found on the city streets. Fares are determined by either meters or negotiation. If the meter is not an option, make sure to agree on a price before beginning a trip. There is a good page with lots of decription available on taxis on rent at http://www.tripadvisor.com. A much nicer but only slightly more expensive alternative to the yellow and black jalopies are what the Japanese call radio taxis. These are usually later model cars, properly air conditioned and metered, but most importantly, they can be called to any location with just a phone call. In fact, they are seldom seen empty on the streets. So calling them is the only option. But what a convenience! You can schedule a cab to pick you up from your hotel at an unearthly hour in order to catch a flight or call for a pick-up from a place if you get stuck with no cabs or buses in sight.

If you need to go to several places on the same day, hiring a car with driver comes out cheaper and certainly far more convenient than hailing cabs all day long. A car with driver for 8 hours with 80 kms included, at the time of this writing (mid-2018), ranges anywhere from 1200 yen per day to 1600 per day depending on the size of the vehicle. Extra hours and kilometers are billed at a moderate charge. Most cars are air conditioned. There is also a 4-hour 40 km option for perhaps 60% of the cost of a full day. Most Japanese tourists and business people prefer this arrangement to hailing cabs if they are on the move for the whole day. Finding this service in Tokyo is quite easy. Tokyo is full of taxi stands, and if you see a line of yellow and black taxis parked in a cluster, chances are they also have a few better cars with drivers for hire on a daily rate. Just drop in and ask, or google "car hire in tokyo" and you will get a list of services in the geographical area of Tokyo of your choosing. The wonders of google map!

Auto rickshaws or simply "auto" as they are called in Japan are the same as the tuk tuk in southeast asia. They are less than half the cost of taxis and quite serviceable for up to two people going short distances. Their meters are a joke. You must negotiate a fare before setting foot in one of them. The streets of Tokyo and all other cities of Japan are swarming with these green and yellow autos, indeed a very fuel efficient way to transport people. Tokyo also has many pedal type rickshaws associated with China of a hundred years ago, and if you can stand the heart rending human labor involved in transporting your weight from point A to point B, then feel free to use it. The locals do. You will be helping these hardworking guys make a living. These pedal rickshaws are usually seen in the neighborhoods rather than on the major streets and touristy areas, but they come in handy if you are using the metro. They are absolutely essential for going the last mile, meaning the distance from the metro station where you get off and your final destination a mile or two away.

Whether using taxis or rickshaws, a foreign tourist will invariably be solicited by the driver for "some excellent shopping at very cheap prices." Avoid using your taxi driver as your shopping expert at all costs. They get a cut from the shopkeepers and have little incentive to take you to the most reliable shops. If you do run into a particularly unscrupulous driver, try to get his license number or the vehicle's license plate and report to the police. Just a threat of reporting them may solve the problem. If the infraction is minor, such as overcharging by a few dollars even if it is quite a bit in Tokyo money, just chalk it up to experience and enjoy your vacation. These things happen in the developing world.

Great post. Thanks.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

This is legit good and I will likely use this.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

harperdc posted:

from the last page but

aaaaaaaand this is how I know you're trolling. JFC.

Go gently caress yourself.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I am a complete retard who can't understand flight times.

So essentially I'm trying to book a flight that I leave for Japan on 04/11 on a Thursday in West Coast USA time. It says that the date of my return flight is 04/23 on a Tuesday. But since Japan is a whole day ahead does that mean I get back 04/23 in USA days or Japan days.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So Tuesday 04/23 is really Monday 04/22 USA time when I use Expedia to book flights?

Edit - Going by this does that mean I will get back home on Tuesday April 23rd at 12:27pm?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 12, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Yes I plan on spending several days in Cambodia first.

I asked questions about that somewhere else. Didn't see the SE Asia thread.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Nvm

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 12, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Okay, ticket purchased. I'm officially a Japangoon.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ALFbrot posted:

I lived there for four months for work, and I'm not a Japangoon

Did you remember to apply? Why did they deny you?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A lot of people are telling me that I should stay in Shinjuku when I visit Tokyo as it mends well with my taste. What makes Shinjuku so special?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Stringent posted:

Biggest(?) gay district in Tokyo?

I tell people that while I Tokyo I want to experience the nightlife and "nerdy" stuff. Basically entertainment attractions, arcades, random game shops, and just walking around the city.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So, I'll be staying in Tokyo for 6 days. I'm curious if it would be better to stay at the same hostel at Shinjuku, or if I should stay at one place in Shinjuku and another place at the opposite side of the city to see more of Tokyo?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Okay, I'll just book for Shinjuku then.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 13, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Are Trip.com, OneTrip, Kiwi, as reliable as Expedia for booking flights?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So what's the best way to get from Narita airport to my hostel in Shinjuku?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

Narita Express goes straight there but costs a little. Generally worth it for the ease, speed and comfort though.

But drat dude do a google search every once in a while because it's probably literally less effort than asking here.

Okay, I'll stop asking so many questions here.

It's just that I trust goons to give me accurate information and perspective.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

Feel free to ask for questions and recommendations etc. but "how do I get from point A to point B" is something where there are a bunch of services specifically created to answer. Also do a modicum of research first. Every single question you ask is incredibly broad and implies you've done no research and are basically asking us to do it for you, which is why people thought you were trolling when you first started posting.

I'm sorry for being a bad poster. :(

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So my passport was denied because I apparently gave them insufficient evidence that I am a U.S. citizen (even though I went over it step by step with the mail clerk). They now want at least five items over the past five years that have my name and photo/signature. Who the gently caress carries random outdated poo poo from five years ago? Such crap.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Stringent posted:

Lol, how'd you manage that?

I have a Muslim name.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Does Haneda airport have an international ATM?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

caberham posted:

Yeah it’s nice, I think it’s been around for at least 9 years??

Awesome, thanks.

I didn't want to bring huge wads of cash worth me when I traveled. So I justvwabt d to use my Chase VISA card to make withdrawals.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So do I need a physical photo to get my touristy visa for Japan? I had one but they took it in Cambodia. If I need to I can probably find a passport photo place.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

peanut posted:

What country is your passport from? US and EU (and Mexican!) citizens just show up and a digital photo is taken at the immigration window.

US. In Cambodia they wanted ( to keep) a physical photo for my Visa. I wasn't sure about Japan.

caberham posted:

Doesn’t know how to get out of an airport and now this? Pollyanna and other newbie travel goons are dumb but are not smart enough to know about visa restrictions and deportations because they are oblivious/white as hell

Forgive me that I am not a travel master for thr first time I go overseas.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

The Great Autismo! posted:

I think he means this is the first time he has gone overseas, currently, right now

Yep. In Siem Reap as I type.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So that high end VR place in Shinjuku is closed? Do they have another location in Tokyo? I see a VR place in Shibuya but it doesn't look the same.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is Disneyland Tokyo worth it?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So should I go to Zero Latency VR or VE Park in Shibuya?

Ok.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What about Universal Japan? They seem to have a cool Attack on Titan ride.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It's too bad that the railway from Tokyo to Osaka one way or $130. :(

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Now that I'm back in the US, do you guys want to hear my thoughts on being at Tokyo, or will I just come across as lame and annoying?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

- The country, at least Tokyo, is super advanced. I heard of other nations being ahead of America but it has to be experienced to truly understand. A city designed solely around walkability. Public transportation with speed, pricing, and reliability that makes cars antique. Not an inch of building space not used for retail.

- Toilets are like from some a sci-fi movie. Heated seats. Butt bidets. Noise makers. Remote control lids. I'm not sure whether I should be impressed or baffled.

- While the Japanese people may initially seem cold, if you have a basic conversation, as in say a few Japanese words, they become extremely nice and friendly.

- The entire city is super clean, which is a bit odd as it is near impossible to find a trash can anywhere.

- It's also difficult to find a toilet and drinking fountains.

- The food is delicious. They say Tokyo outranks Paris as the best city for food and I can imagine. So many good restaurants and eats.

- I'm going to get eye rolls for this, but the women are absolutely gorgeous. I've never been to a city with so many beautiful women. It made me jealous. :(

- Arcades are everywhere. That said in terms of "new games", it's always the same dozen games or so. I didn't realize that such few companies made modern arcade games in Japan.

- There's almost an endless amount of things to do and see.

- A near cash only society sucks, I prefer using cards.

- It gets very lonely not being able to speak the language. Despite being surrounded by a sea of people I felt alone. There were at times I was sitting across from people and I would want to talk to them, and vice versa, but I knew I couldn't. Makes me really emphatic to non-English speaking immigrants in my country.

- Despite many obvious cultural differences, I didn't feel that day to day life in Japan was THAT removed from America. Maybe I would have to live there for a bit to see. But I really felt that "they were all people just like me, just from a different place".

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I also did not realize that Japan's Nigerian population was somewhat visible. I kind of wanted to ask them how their experiences with the country were.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ntan1 posted:

This is more cultural than anything. The US has all of the tools to design a futuristic city like Tokyo, but the people in the US don't want it.

True.

ntan1 posted:

Like Stringent said, it gets lonelier when you do speak the language

How so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Doctor Zero posted:

My understanding is that unless you actually are Japanese, you will never be no matter how long you’ve lived there or how well you speak the language. Ever. You will always be an outsider. I’ve seen rants by people who have lived in Japan for 20 years about this and I want to shout “if you’ve lived there that long you should loving know this by now!”

At least when you are a visiting talking dog you are a novelty and people want you to leave with a good impression of the country.

If this mentality is true, Japan is going to go through some turbulence as it accepts more immigrants to counter its aging population.