Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Looking to travel to japan this year, not really looking to travel about the place too much so would prefer to stop in one area. What's a good place to go to in Japan for someone who has never been?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

caberham posted:

This is a really general post
  • How much time do you have
  • When are you going
  • What's your freaking budget
  • What do you like to do
  • Are you going there for a new Waifu

Everyone, myself included will say Tokyo because it's a giant city with amazing parks and amazing transportation network to get out of the city and flights are much easier to catch and the museums are cool and there are lots of new restaurants and I like hanging out with Tokyo goons and I spend my time not in Japan posting in this thread because I miss Japan and I will be in Japan very soon (Easter)

Yeh I was thinking it'd be Tokyo but thought I'd ask here in case there where any places better i wouldn't know about. Going for about 12 nights toward the end of May, budget is prob about £2500 for the holiday, like night clubs etc (but not an excessive amount) but generally like sightseeing and seeing weird poo poo.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

caberham posted:

If you are from Scaborough North Yorkshire or haven't really traveled to Non European places or haven't been to Asia then everything is going to feel weird for you.

Wow that's a disturbingly accurate description of me...

I'm want to travel there just as a holiday to see what Japan is like because I like the idea of teaching there but want to see what the country is like beforehand. Yes I know it wouldn't be an accurate depiction of everyday life there but it would at least give me a little feel for it.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Does Japan just not do 1 room with 2 beds or something? Shopping around for hotels and pretty much every single one is a double bed room. Anyone got any good sites to book Japan holidays from the UK?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

totalnewbie posted:

Living in the inaka is also cheap as gently caress.

< 40000 JPY/mo for an apartment, utilities total 10000/mo for EVERYthing, etc.. well, this was 10 years ago, but 0% inflation, right?

Doesn't make the salary anywhere near good, but it's a lot easier to stretch.

Currently in a small city in Shizuoka, 200,000 people and drat is it cheap. 21,000 JPY rent for a 2 bed apartment (granted it's old but still a nice place with no problems at all), utilities are at about 15,000 for gas, electric, water and internet. Like you said the wage isn't amazing but the fact I get to take home the vast majority of it is awesome and means I can straight up pay for my masters with no loans needed now.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Yawgmoft posted:

How bad of an idea is it to leave Tokyo to come back to America on January 1st?

It'll be drat expensive and everywhere will be jam packed. If you are taking trains be prepared to have the staff ramming you into the train to fit you in. I travelled out of Tokyo once on January 1st and will never do it again. As soon as new year is rolling up I sit back and do nothing because screw dealing with all the hustle and bustle.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Magna Kaser posted:

Somehow I still don't know anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone in China who got it, including friends still stuck in Wuhan, but I know several people in the US who know/work in proximity of people who tested positive.

Not heard of anyone who knows anyone who has it. Everyone I know is just talking about it like a boogeyman like it's a rumour and could arrive any moment. Not sure how to feel, good that it seems like it's not in the area or the people I know, bad that that could change any moment.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

orcane posted:

Too bad, seeing Japan with fewer other tourists again would have been nice.

gently caress going to the touristy areas. I always loved that side of Japan off the beaten track, the kinda places were people haven't seen a foreigner, had people literally stop in the street looking at me it's hilarious. Never experienced anything like it, just so beautiful and untouched. God I've been home 6 month's after living there and already want to go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Especially cuz the sakura has just started. Sigh.

If you ever get a chance go see the Kawazu sakura in... Kawazu. Absolutely beautiful, way more colourful than the standard sakura, lovely shade of pink rather than the kind of white the standard ones are.