Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Chomskyan posted:

Why do Japanese movies almost never have Japanese subtitles? Does Japan hate deaf people and Japanese as a second language learners?

You're spoiled by countries where captioning is mandated in some fashion by the law. It's certainly not mandated for everything in the US, but most media companies end up shelling out to do it at some point since they imagine their content will be used in a situation where compliance is mandated. There is no similar requirement in Japan so it's very common for things like TV show DVD's to not have closed-captioning. This is especially true for any content aimed at children. The idea is that the target market can't read so there's no reason to provide captioning.

It's pretty silly for the television content since it IS captioned when it goes out to broadcast on TV, but they just don't bother putting that on the DVD releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

ntan1 posted:

I've never thought of ramen as a social occasion

I dunno, seems like lots of Japanese people go for ramen after a night out drinking. So it's pretty social.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 5, 2016

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

captkirk posted:

What's even the point of HSFP? Just faster route to permanent resident? From what I can tell you still need a sponsoring org and the visa is tied to the sponsor so if you quit/get fired you have to immediately transition to a different visa type.

Working in an industry where the majority of foreigners I work with are on that visa, it seems mostly like its purpose is as a fast track for specific kinds of employers to be able to pull in talent from overseas with minimal hassle.

On the employee side there's not really anything super huge that's different between it and other kinds of work visas. There's some perks to it, but they're mostly the kind of perks that make sense for advancing the main purpose of giving specific Japanese institutions the ability to recruit knowledge workers from overseas.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 10, 2020