Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Ratjaculation posted:

I found Japan's culture to be pretty boring

Cool story bro!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Quite overpriced and very touristy. Go to Kanda or Shinbashi and drink with the salarymen!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Stringent posted:

For me, my favorite dive into kitschy, old school Tokyo drinking spots was the New Shinbashi Building. I haven't been in ages, but there was this one 地酒 place run by a Chinese dude in the basement that was just incredible. Dude was a drat encyclopedia of sake.

There is a little standing bar around the corner from there called Touch You Know Me that I go to quite often. The girl who manages it also does Gravure modeling so that part is kind of neat too.

I haven't been to a Hub in months but generally they are a good place to get trashed and talk to people. In general I am not a fan of bars where the staff wear a bartender uniform, but at least with the Hub you pay up front.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

The Great Autismo! posted:

I guess it's not that far out of the way, but it's definitely the hypotenuse and the base of the triangle, which doesn't really make all that much sense. tho Orio is dope and I love going there, so idk. either way, I'll start my shitposting on jan 1st, later dudes

Wtf is there to do in Orio?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Hargrimm posted:

I didn't get in any actual trouble or anything, but at the Airbnb I used in somewhat off-the-beaten-path Kyoto, I got some real severe side-eye from all the Japanese people my 6'3" white rear end walked awkwardly by in the apartment building common areas. In the future I would only go with Abnb in the more central, downtown type areas where foreigner residents aren't such an oddity.

People in Kyoto look down on everyone who isn't from Kyoto. Don't worry about them.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Akarshi posted:

Hey goons, I'll be travelling in to Japan for the first time this spring from Seoul in a group of 4. We'll be in for a week, and were thinking of doing 3 nights in Osaka (day tripping to Kyoto and Nara on D2 and D3) and 3 nights in Tokyo. Does that sound like a decent split, or would it be better to cut days from one to add to the other? Thanks!

What are you looking for out of Japan? If you have been in Seoul for a while Tokyo might not be much of a change.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

LimburgLimbo posted:

That was in (probably) the most popular Hub in the city, on Hub day where *everything* is half off, so yeah that’ll do it.

Was too crowded then to be enjoyable though.

What would be the least popular Hub?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Grand Fromage posted:

Whichever one you're in

I haven't been to a Hub in quite a while! My favorite drinking spot in Tokyo is the vending machines under the tracks near Yurakucho.

I think the Gaienmae Hub might be pretty empty unless they have a sporting event going on. I went there once and it was super empty. Kanda Hub is small and closes early but there is usually a decent number of people in there. I've only been in there for a meetup but I used to walk by quite often on my way to Drum Can Tachinomi! That place is super cheap.

But people are lucky to have the Hub. In Fukuoka we don't have it and our ripoff version is the exact same menu but the prices are 50% more expensive.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Good Parmesan posted:

Would love some recommendations of your favorite restaurants/things worth it to see or do in Fukuoka - spending 10 days there at the end of March.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g298207-d3790604-Reviews-Gyozaya_Ninoni_Daimyo-Fukuoka_Fukuoka_Prefecture_Kyushu_Okinawa.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...hu_Okinawa.html

https://en.japantravel.com/fukuoka/yatai-mami-chan/12772

https://findingfukuoka.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/oyafukodori/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...hu_Okinawa.html

There is a weekly drinking event on Thursdays you can go to if you want to meet some locals.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Good Parmesan posted:

Thanks so much!

Is there anything specific you want to do? If you want to meet local foreigners go to Black Sheep or CC Cafe and they can give you all sorts of ideas.

Fukuoka is about food, shopping, and people. Not a lot of sites for tourists to see.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Gunstav posted:

I'm headed to Tokyo this week on a last minute trip alone, are there any favorite places to drink/socialize that aren't golden gai? Also, recommended winter hikes around Tokyo? Hakone? thx

There should be a lot of meetups where you can meet people. Tasuichi in Shibuya is cheap and has a lot of people you can talk to.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I want to open a fat camp for weeaboos in the countryside and hire local ojisans to make them do repetitive tasks like Mr. Miyagi. How much should I charge for this service?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

LyonsLions posted:

The ojisans will probably be willing to pay you.

I have actually been thinking about this idea quite a bit. If you can't lose weight in the Japanese countryside you are never going to lose weight. But basically I'd want to buy an old Japanese house with a decent amount of land and have 5 people at a time staying there and learning Japanese and how to cook healthy Japanese food while doing poo poo to make a nice garden.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

LyonsLions posted:

I think it's a good idea. My comment was more in regards to the ojisans who love to tell people what to do so much that they would pay for the privilege. And the obasans will teach cooking lessons for free, because they will be so happy to have someone listen to their advice, unlike their ungrateful daughters-in-law. No staff costs, it's genius.

Yeah, I think if you get people in the community on board it is an easy win. Might even be able to find a city with a big old house they'd be willing to donate or sell super cheap.

20 million yen for this place - https://www.homes.co.jp/kodate/b-32000900000348/

18 million for this one - https://www.homes.co.jp/kodate/b-1194040091268/

15.5 for this - https://www.homes.co.jp/kodate/b-1103710000131/

Those would all be under 100,000 a month with a mortgage but the property taxes might be a bitch.

But I think it would be possible to charge 1k USD a week and 10k for 3 months.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I just like the idea of having some land about an hour and a half outside of Tokyo with a decent sized house on it. Could be a lot of fun.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

LimburgLimbo posted:

It’s Soka Gakkai. A somewhat culty Buddhist sect.

But also holy gently caress check the image compression when you send this poo poo dude. You take this on a garakei or what.

Can't be Soka Gakkai - no Daisaku Ikeda anywhere!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Zettace posted:

Apparently if you do join a tour group you actually do get a bunch of free time to do anything in the afternoons. You're basically free to roam the city and you're fine as long as you don't skip town.

The "guided" tour is just a mechanism for the government to hold someone else responsible if bad things happen.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

AHH F/UGH posted:

Ned do you remember in 2012 during the Olympics my girlfriend and I came from Korea to visit Fukuoka and you met up with us then we went back to your place after a beer and you just went into your bedroom and ignored us

Were you okay or did we do something wrong, we couldn’t tell if you were just goony as hell or if we did some social misstep

I was probably drunk? Basically I'd let people come to my place and hang out and crash and do whatever they want. 2 babies were created there and neither are mine!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
If any of you weebs fly in or out of Narita I suggest you stop by Ned and Breakfast. I'm only 15 minutes by train from the airport and you get to experience some quality Japanese countryside.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Bofast posted:

I like the name, but Google Maps keeps changing it to bed and breakfast and showing me a bunch of hotels so I can't find it near Narita :(

It means you can stay at my house. Or maybe not. The lady friend is mad at me because some friends are doing a photo shoot in my yard and there is nudity!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Bofast posted:

My bad. I thought you just had a little restaurant with an excellent name :D

It is what I am going to call my guest house.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

some kinda jackal posted:

The only thing I kind of felt odd about Kyoto was that it felt like the “inner” city was harder to transit, but I also don’t think I found a lot to do there. Probably didn’t look hard enough, but my (admittedly hazy, now) memory was that all the stuff I wanted to do was on the outskirts anyway. I’m going back in May and I’ll probably base my western leg of the trip out of Osaka for no reason other than I think it’s probably a better launching point for side trips, but if I was only staying for a few days I would probably have done Kyoto instead tbh.

Man I can’t wait :swoon:

Kyoto is a city made for riding bicycles.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Shibawanko posted:

ill buy a "haunted" akiya someday because im clever enough to not believe in ghosts and get a good deal

I bought a cheap house in the countryside 3 years ago and it is the best decision I have ever made. Life here is wonderful!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Wonton posted:

Can we visit you in NRT, it’s been years

Sure. Go for it!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Tim Whatley posted:

My company was bought by our Japanese partners and next Friday I'm going to Japan for the first time ever. 14 hours BOS to NRT and then a quick 90 min to ITM. Really stoked! I'm completely clueless on a trip like this so apologies. I've heard a lot about this MYSOS App. Besides that and my passport, am I missing anything?

Bring giant bags of Halloween candy and you will be a hero!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Ham Equity posted:

Trip booked for March. 3/13-3/21 in Tokyo, 3/21-3/22 in Nara, 3/22-3/26 in Kyoto, 3/26-3/30 in Osaka. NRT was way cheaper than Haneda, unfortunately, though instead of flying out of Osaka, we're flying out of NRT again. Shinkansen in the morning out of Osaka to catch a 6:05pm flight out of NRT should be fine, right? I checked transit times, and it seems like we'd have about four hours of wiggle room to make it to the airport by 3:00pm if we left Osaka at 7:00am.

It might be possible to fly from one airport to another in less time than it takes to take multiple trains to get there. Might have to do some research though.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Wonton posted:

Oh right Yamato is awesome.

1 airport commute + 1 cross city rail + 1 international check in at 2 times the cost and maybe 2 times the time used

Versus

1 airport commute + 1 domestic check in + 1 international check in at half the cost and maybe half the time?

Trains in japan are reliable and fun, I guess???

You can smoke on the Shinkansen though!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

You can still get a non-reserved ticket but you gonna be standing for a long rear end time.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

peanut posted:

Love hotels are cool and good, you'll "love" that "hotel"

Can any goons confirm that inaka love hotels are more spacious and glamorous than Yamanote love hotels?
Anyway, search east of Uguisudani Station.

They cheaper but these days the amenities are very dated. Bring yourself a fire stick unless you want to be entertained by badly dubbed movies.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

field balm posted:

Me and my wife are tatted up dirtbags and we stayed in Ginza for a couple of nights and didn't feel at all out of place, it's just a higher end shopping area really.

Ginza isn't that fancy at all. They have a lot of high end stores there but it is sandwiched between an old fish market and drunk salaryman land. There may have been a time where people might have felt out of place there if they didn't have money but that time has long passed. There are certain places in Ginza where you won't be able to get in, but you'd find those places boring anyway. Just dumb rich people showing off they have money.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

MJP posted:

Fantastic enough to beg a spousal-privilege override? As much as I don't want my wife to feel uncomfortable and out of place, I want to arrive at the ryokan after eight nights in Tokyo ready to decompress, hit the baths, have what may be the only real-rear end kaiseki meal I'll ever have, then hit the baths once more before passing out and moving on with the rest of the trip.

I don't know if we'll get the chance to go back - might as well live it up - and the points would cover it, it's just a big chunk to take in. Never stayed in anything that was more than $300ish/night (adjusted to today's dollars).

My personal thing about stuff like onsen, sushi, and fancy beef is unless you have a lot of exposure to the medium levels, you probably won't notice the difference beyond the bill between midrange and high end. In many ways, things in this price range exist for people to show off they have money. If you want to show off you have money, they do a good job of that.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

zmcnulty posted:

What? I thought that's what instagram is for

My instagram is all pictures I steal from other people.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

QuasiQuack posted:

I am in complete love with the Kumamoto mountains, holy hell this place is beautiful.

Kumamoto is very nice. Try to check out Amakusa while you are there. That place has a crazy history and is a very good example of boom/busy Japan.

https://spikejapan.wordpress.com/2010/11/28/amakusa-islands-of-dread/

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Coxswain Balls posted:

Just make sure you don't lose it, if your name doesn't match the other stuff in your wallet they won't give it back and you have to explain that to the person who gave it to you. :(

You don't have to put your name on a card like that. I guess if you are using it for commuting but most people who have a commuter pass aren't going to hand it off to a random tourist to use.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Ham Equity posted:

I would appreciate any recommendations for outstanding okonomiyaki.

https://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1301/A130103/13159860/

This place in Shinbashi is great. I've taken guests there tons of times and my parents said it was the best meal they've had in Japan. And this was after we had been to some crazy expensive Kaiseki place with the Vice President of a very famous university.

Also, Fugu is not worth going out of your way for.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
If you are in Narita come stop by Ned and Breakfast or at least let me take you out for drinks there.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

KidDynamite posted:

what we need to do now is flesh out points of interest in sapporo, sendai, kanazawa, and fukuoka(i think we will day trip to hiroshima from here rather than osaka)

Fukuoka is great for food. I suggest going to https://ninoni.jp/ for happy hour then hit up a Yatai and get some ramen.

If you know your hotel for Narita I can probably stop by there and take you out. The fancy hotels aren't near the city center though.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Ham Equity posted:

My friends and I are going to be in Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto in March; we all enjoy drinking. What is the best way of finding good bars? Preferably places that aren't too loud, and aren't tourist traps. Places with local poo poo would be ideal. Is there a uniquely Japanese type of drinking experience/bar that would be good to hit up?

Also looking for suggestions for distilleries and sake breweries to visit/tour/sample.

https://reserve.suntory.co.jp/regis...4126d0315133513

Go do this in Osaka/Kyoto

Most Japanese bars are going to have some sort of seating fee, so just keep that in mind if you want to go bar hopping.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Gabriel Grub posted:

You are severely underestimating the value of someone not only telling you where to go, but taking you there themselves, for people who have not been to Tokyo a hundred times.

Pretty much any ramen is going to be the best you've ever had if you've never had ramen in Japan before.

https://ramenadventures.com/

This guy is a friend of mine. He is solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

lol internet. posted:

Err so family with toddlers (3 and 6) Shinjuku Station or Shibuya Station? Both stations are pretty good from a rail connection perspective?

I wouldn't want to walk through either station with children. Ueno would be my choice if you have to pick somewhere on the Yamanote to get a hotel. All of these stations are essentially commuter stations but Ueno is less busy and has more hotels that are close to the station that aren't shady. You also have a big park and a museum within walking distance. Shinjuku is slightly shady and Shibuya is just kind of boring right now. Ueno is also good if you plan to take Shinkansen trips. It is 3 stops from Tokyo station if you want to go to the west, and useful if you want to go north.