Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Martytoof posted:

In 2018 I was talked into doing that Mario Kart poo poo the locals all hate and it was stressful as all get out.

For anyone who is going to Tokyo in the future and has heard of this, please don't loving do it. Not only do you look like a massive weeb to the Tokyoites who don't even know what being a weeb means, it's insanely loud and fucks with the traffic. I get it, it's your life and how dare you try to stop someone else from having fun, but for real you look like a complete dork and it's loving lame and annoying as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I can't articulate why, but I was mostly disappointed with Akihabara. I somehow expected it to be.. bigger? I mean, I can appreciate it for what it is now, but I think I went in with way too grand a preconception. There's probably like three or four good stores to visit, and then just a bunch of other stores that sell exactly the same thing for two blocks. Maybe that's it -- I felt like once I saw one store I'd seen them all, give or take.

Totally agreed. It's like two square blocks of maid cafes, electronics stores and nerd poo poo, and then it immediately tapers off into "normal tokyo" of real estate offices and the millionth Toyo building. Also everything there closes at like 9PM because they're still just stores. You kind of expect it to be some kind of 24 hour nerdfest as far as the eye can see but it's really just the two streets west of the station.

But yeah the best thing to do it just get a good buzz and walk around the big spots and also go to Enoshima

gently caress I miss living in Fujisawa Honmachi sometimes. It was like living in an anime background, just with more old people. If I ever move out to the suburbs again I'd like to live in one of those upper class sleeper cities like that.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I see they got the plastic baggie of 1Y coins I mailed.

I know this is true because five hundred 1 yen coins would weigh about 0.1kg and be easily mailable

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I haven’t done any teamlab stuff either, and as huge a Disney nerd as I am, I haven’t stepped foot near Tokyo Disney. They’re all things I will eventually check off the list, but I’m in no hurry :)

Imagine California Disneyland, but with like 80% less charm, 60% more open blank space area, 100% more people, 200% worse weather, 400% longer lines and the entire place smelling like curry-flavored popcorn. I just saved you $135.

Funnily I've also heard from other people that the robot costumes are pretty rough and ratty looking these days as well and that the food sucked.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Nanigans posted:

I didn't go to Disneyland, but I did go to DisneySea and none of what you just said applies to that. It's also only like $70 to go to DisneySea.

DisneySea is like Disneyland but just with less interesting or attractive stuff to do, so fewer people go there and so the lines aren't so long. The main reason I've heard people talk about going there is because "you can drink beer!!!!". It also mostly smells like curry popcorn, though, so I dispute your claim. I found DisneySea to be basically a walking track with a few lights and music playing speakers and the Tower of Terror and Indiana Jones.

I'm also assuming one doesn't go to Tokyo Disneyland alone because that would be weird as gently caress and so you'd buy two tickets for around 14,000 yen or around $135.

I think Fuji-Q Highland beats both their asses bigtime and the wait times are way, way shorter.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 13, 2020

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I went in March, never waited more than 15 minutes in line. The locker thing isn't for most rides, though.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Magna Kaser posted:

hmm.... i wonder if there was any reason why it might've been less crowded in march....

March 2015.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I can't read much besides "NO Masks NO Social Distancing", "The media is lying about coronavirus" and I'm gonna guess the big bold words on the left are "Corona virus is a false flag event" or something? What are the big black kanji on the bottom left?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

What are the 3rd and 4th points on the right side, after No masks and No Social Distancing?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I never wore a mask previously when I was out and about in Tokyo because I didn't wanna seem like that guy who is trying way too hard to pretend he's something that he's not, but now that basically everyone in the world is doing it and it's practically expected of everyone including the foreign demographic, I can finally hide my ugly rear end face when I go out and if someone catches a glimpse of me they'll think instead of being a weirdo that I'm a courteous weirdo. Masks good and cool.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 22, 2020

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Stringent posted:

If you were worried about that then why were you in Tokyo in the first place?

Japanese wife, job sent me to Tokyo. Japan is great but I'm not trying to be Japanese.

Shibawanko posted:

did you also not eat sushi because you didnt want to put on airs?

Eating sushi has been something everyone does in every country for decades at this point, so no.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Oh yeah I completely agree, I'm just saying that there were a lot of people who were doing it as an affectation before that ruined it for me and I'm glad that's changed at least. The practicality aspect of it is obvious. If a Japanese guy come to my home town, grew a goatee, and started wearing Oakleys with the shades perched on top of the brim of a baseball cap I'd say that was weird even if it was commonplace, because holy poo poo there are a lot of people here who rock that style.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

This might sound like some wild poo poo but I didn't marry my wife because of her race or nationality. My work knew she was Japanese and so I was assigned to work in our offices in Tokyo as a courtesy.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

lol How funny is it that people would feel like being stuck in America during quarantine (I think you're from the States, GF) is like being in Escape From New York

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Living in Hokkaido seems like it would be awesome, because cold weather and snow isn't as big of a deal as most people make it out to be (because we're all goons who never go outside), and the summers are so insanely better than the rest of the country. Also they have some of the best food in Japan. Obviously I'd rather live in Honshu during the winters and move to Hokkaido in the summers but if I could only live in one, I'd choose to live in Sapporo or something.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Family Mart > 7-Eleven > Lawson > AEON > Mini Stop

But that's just central Tokyo so it might be different for where you are. Family Mart has by far the best frozen karaage though, and also low carb deserts, so that always put them in the lead for me. Lawsome does have very good hot lamp chicken though, and Family Mart has some of the worst. 7-Eleven is still the nicest one usually even in really busy areas.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

While we're at it, Go Go Curry is the best Curry Tonkatsu in Japan, period. gently caress haters, it's some real poo poo for the tired and depressed salary man on his way home at 9:30PM on a Tuesday.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Yo let's talk Okonomiyaki

My go-to place with my WIFE was Yukari in the Akiba Ichi building in Akihabara.

I also got some loving good poo poo at this little hole in the wall in Itabashi right when I first moved to Japan in 2014. Local neighborhood *as gently caress*.

I found street food and festival okonomiyakis to be pretty disappointing but the ones in a good restaurant were a revelation

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 9, 2020

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

It hasn't (barely)

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

To be fair I can barely think of anything more that would satisfying to public officials in Japan than a totally flat GDP

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

BB2K posted:

Lol it rules how spergy goons get about Japan

Is this anything for other countries too?

That's just the internet in general

Star Wars, online video games, celebrity drama, it's all basically the same poo poo, just with different selections of Funko Pops behind the person in their YouTube video.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

lol you freaks, talking about Japanese food

loving weirdos!!

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

What if I loudly masturbate in a Denny’s in Chiba? Where does they put me on the gaijin hierarchy?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

My wife and I looked into it because near her hometown there's a ton of them, but as others have said, there's a few issues because these houses are

1. In the middle of nowhere
2. Are usually dumps that need considerable work to be livable
3. Still have the aforementioned taxes and stuff
4. Are probably more work than they're really worth
5. There are basically no jobs in those areas anymore so you have to either be a remote worker or independently wealthy, in which case why even do this

I guess if you don't care about freezing in winter, dying of hear stroke in summer, cockroaches and mosquitoes everywhere, mold, being 30 minutes from the nearest conbini, and you work remotely or something, it could be okay... I guess.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

For what it's worth, probably the "best" place I ever lived in Japan was when I taught university English for a summer at Fujisawa Honmachi station of all places, sort of near Enoshima. I lived in central Tokyo for like 4 years right next to Tokyo Station and that was cool and convenient and exciting but if I was going to spend my life somewhere, I'd rather it be one of those sleeper towns. It was like living in some coming-of-age anime background art, and I don't even like anime. Being able to bike to the beach in 10 minutes was awesome. Kamakura seems like it would be a nice place to live in, or near Onjuku beach.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

It's definitely more pricey, homes in the area surrounding Tokyo that would normally go for $300k instead are around $400k or so, but you also get a nicer general quality of life and the cities feel cozy but still new-ish and convenient. I really enjoyed going to actual large supermarkets in shopping centers and not a Seijo Ishii pretending it's a supermarket, and playing darts and getting drinks at the little hole-in-the-wall bars and stuff.

The best summer festival I ever went to was in Hiratsuka, next to Fujisawa. It was madness, like a true bacchanal. Pure drunken pandemonium.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 14, 2020

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

My first trip to Japan was to Fukuoka during the 2012 Olympics and I remember this very clearly because I met up with some goon (maybe one of you) and we got drinks and he was super quiet the whole time and acted like he was going through some kind of life crisis, and then we suggested to go somewhere else so went back to his place (I assumed we were gonna just shoot the poo poo and have lively conversation and watch TV since the Japanese team was doing Judo) but he just went into his room and laid down on his futon and started browsing the web, and closed his door. It was extremely weird and me and my girlfriend looked at each other like "wtf is up with this guy" and then we just kind of left without saying anything and went back to our hotel.

Also, when we got to Fukuoka the phone card I had didn't work so I asked this one random American-looking guy who was walking down the street with some people if I could borrow his phone and he gave me the most horrible "you broke my glorious Nippon bubble by making me speak English to other foreigners in front of my Japanese friends" look and attitude, it was extremely palpable. This was in the drinking/bar downtown district on a Friday night. So right away I got the impression that the foreigners who live in Japan are weirdos (true and I become one too). All in all though, Fukuoka is great and definitely a nice area. Hot as balls though.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 15, 2020

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Yeah I really wish I didn’t have to ask the dude because I hate talking to random people just as much as anyone but once I had it was clearly this extremely obvious air of having ruined his integration or something. My girlfriend noticed it too. It was like if you had accidentally asked that Debito guy who was obsessed with gaining Japanese citizenship and wore kimonos every day to borrow his phone and he responded in Japanese that he didn’t speak English or something.

I always helped people who asked my questions and for directions though. One time when I was in Fujisawa trying to decipher the train board with no English, a random middle school girl walked from her family to my friend and I and in Japanese helped us get directions to Shibuya. I was pretty shocked since I had the stereotypical image in my head that the least likely person to ever help a foreigner would be a Japanese middle schooler with her family but that broke my perception. She didn’t try to practice English or anything, just straight up walked up to us and started asking us where we were going. I spoke virtually no Japanese and my friend had none. We were so lacking in language that used to refer to the ‘withdraw money’ kanji 出 at the ATM as “the strong man takes out money” since it looks kind of like a guy flexing 💪

That was cool. Afterwards my friend and I were both like “did that really happen?”

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 15, 2020

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Shibawanko posted:

who was the goon?

i don't mind speaking english at all but one thing i don't like is when japanese people fire random english phrases at me like "let's go!" or whatever (this happened to me maybe twice but still), like what do you expect me to do here? also when they assume i'm from "america"

I think it was the guy with the little anime kid with the bowl cut and big puppy dog eyes in his avatar, I don’t think he posts much

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Fujisawa and surrounding areas owned and I really enjoyed living there even if was for only like 6 months. I will never forget the night we went to a random izakaya and the group of salarymen at the table room next to ours opened the sliding door and we all drank a shitload of Hoppy and were merry as hell and had terrible hangovers. People there were super chill and outgoing from what I could see. If I could live anywhere in Japan in the future I'd be happy if it was that area between Enoshima and southern Tokyo.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

So some guy started talking to her and she said "I'm busy" and he said "oops my bad, have a good one"

I don't get it, is she mistaking someone just chatting with her as a nampa? I feel like I'm missing some nuance here or something

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I'm guessing they're saying something along the lines of "if he wasn't a handsome Frenchman/foreigner you wouldn't have had this reaction" and "it had nothing to do with him saying thanks for your time" etc etc

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Okay be honest

https://www.youtube.com/c/MrYabatan/videos

Which one of you is this

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Does anyone know where to find the requirements for permanent residency for spouses of Japanese? My google fu is failing me.

My wife and I got moved to the states and got married in Feb. 2019 and we sent all the relevant documents and notifications to the Japanese government about getting married (marriage cert, family registry stuff, name change, etc). We have lived here ever since, without going back. I'm wondering what it will take to get the "no more trips to Shinagawa" permanent residency visa if we move back next year after being married for 2+ years. I previously lived in Tokyo for about 5 years as well before we were married.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Hmm, so 1-year renewal win 2022, then in 2023 I can get an unlimited term one? Or just 3 years at that point?

Also just to be clear, that's 3 years married and living anywhere? Even outside of the country?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

sale on Banksy art posted:

You can apply for PR once you've been married three years and are also holding a 3 year+ spouse visa. You can even apply on the day you get that 3 year visa if you've already passed your third anniversary.

Nice. In 2023 when I go for renewal on the 1-year visa I will ask for 3 years and when (probably) I get it I'll ask for full non-renewal PR since we'll have been married 3 years at that point.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

There’s a Hawaiian burger themed place called Kua Aina which makes burgers that absolutely slap. The fries are great too. Burgers taste as good as any decent local American style restaurant burger you’d get in the states.

Freshness is also decent. Mos Burger sucks, and any burger place with a pork mixture in the patty should go out of business for crimes against burgmanity.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Stringent posted:

That was the point. Shake Shack, Five Guys, and In-N-Out all wipe most anything going in Tokyo and they're all just chains.

Now YOU are the one who is unironically trolling. Kua Aina is good as gently caress and way fresher and better than loving In and Out (which is overrated overhyped tourist trash anyways). Five Guys is hot garbage too.

Cole slaw on a burger? gently caress outta here with that poo poo. I’m heated and postin angry about burgs!!

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 14, 2020

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Walking in front of those people as they sat stopped at a light near Kanda station, dressed like Yoshi, our eyes would meet and they would have a look of “why did I agree to do this” and “holy poo poo this is cold” on their faces usually

Kind of surprised that it was ever legal and that no one ever got smushed by a truck running a red light or something in their tiny little gokarts

Corny rear end poo poo for tourists but hey whatever makes you happy I guess right

Also there’s no loving way in hell they’re cancelling the olympics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Since I said the thing that caused all the yelling I feel the need to intervene. I heard Tokyo has good ramen, what’s a good ramen place in Tokyo?? Which karaage is better, lawsons or family mart??

Easy: 7-Eleven frozen karaage was the best until they switched to a different supplier, and now it comes in huge chunks with lots of connective tissue and it’s the worst. Conversely Family Mart frozen karaage used to be the worst because it had a weird smell and texture, but then they completely flipped it with another supplier and it became drat near izakaya quality. The tare sauce ones from Family Mart are good too. I don’t eat the hot case ones.

Please let me know if you have any questions about convenience store frozen fried chicken. Thanks and may god bless your mess.