Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

What are the dates for this? There might be some temporary exhibitions, festivals, etc. that might be of interest.

Blackchamber posted:

Another place that used to give tours and doesn't anymore is Midoriyama Studio City, where the new season of Takeshi's castle was filmed and in the past ninja warrior, etc. Obviously they arent going to want a bunch of weirdos climbing all over poo poo but I would have liked to see the course. Google gave me a link but it was dead.

The Takeshi's Castle set was anyway taken down immediately after filming (Sept last year). The Sasuke set was then built in the same area, but that's probably gone now too since other productions may need the space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

crackhaed posted:

Anyone know what Tokyo sumo tournament ticket prices look like?

https://sumo.pia.jp/seat05.jsp

Ranges from 2000JPY to 20,000JPY per person depending on area.

Tickets for the may event are already almost completely sold out.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

deong posted:

How hard is it to get to the Sumida River fireworks festival?

I just booked a trip to Tokyo July 26 - Aug 8. I know it'll be gently caress off hot/humid, but I'm joining a friend and his kids. I really want to see a firework festival, and this seems like the one to do. I've been told there are hotels with river facing windows.. is there an easy way to search for these? Or are we probably too late?

It's probably too late to book such hotels. There are other decent, though expensive, options such as booking a dinner boat cruise, but even at 60K JPY, these also seem to have mostly sold out already. Another option might be try and find a restaurant or something with a view. Some examples are available here: https://afumi-stage.jp/sumidagawa_restaurant/

Final option would be to try and find a rooftop party that is open for public to buy tickets.

Anyway, Sumida just has one of the longest histories/is most famous, but it's very overrated. As a show, many or even most of the other big shows are more intense and much more comfortable and cheaper to watch.

July 29th will additionally have a show out on the west side of Tokyo, Tachikawa.
https://www.gotokyo.org/en/spot/ev045/index.html

August 6th will have the big Edogawa and Itabashi in Tokyo. These will also get very very busy, but still relatively easy to get a clear spot compared to Sumida.
https://en.japantravel.com/tokyo/edogawa-fireworks-festival/22099
https://itabashihanabi.jp/

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 7, 2023

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Ganguro King posted:

Why not just do like the locals do and put down a tarp and get drunk by the river all day before the fireworks start?

As the locals do..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt-pJUaHLl0

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

socketwrencher posted:

How's the laundry situation in the bigger cities? I like to travel really light, and will be sweating up a storm in July- are hotel services reasonable? Are there wash-n-fold joints around? I'm not above washing shirts in the sink and hang drying them in the shower but socks seem problematic.

Hotels would need to be checked one-by-one I think.

‘Coin laundry’ is what you should search for finding the standalone places. There are plenty around.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

some kinda jackal posted:

I had a hard time (read: I never managed to do it) reserving green car seats on JR using my Apple Wallet suica.

The method I know of involves using the Suica app (not Apple Wallet) and paying via credit card registered in that app (i.e. not deducting it from your Suica balance). I'm not sure that doing it all through wallet is actually possible though I can't claim I've researched it all that hard.

My whole setup is some kind of tangled mess I don't understand, though. For whatever reason I think I linked my physical suica card to an account on the Japanese Suica app, and then ported the card to my wallet. I'm super ready to believe that it's something to do with how I set up my card.

This is normal I guess. Or at least it's the same process I went through.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 21, 2023

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

You should check which hotels the buses stop at. Maybe it'll stop right by your hotel, or somewhere closer than the station.

The bus is generally more comfortable than the trains. It can easily be more than double the price, but I'd say it's worth it when you have a lot of luggage.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Mr. Fix It posted:

no one would fly domestically from narita unless you live in chiba

Plenty of LCC routes only fly out of Narita. Even with the extra transport cost it can still be more economical (vs. Haneda, not referencing Shinkansen journies at all).

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Explosive Tampons posted:

Is the Docomo bike sharing app region locked or what? No go to find it through the App Store on iOS or through their own link.

Docomo has become harder for non-residents to use I believe.

You might also want to consider Hello Cycling or LUUP. I don’t know how easy they are for non-residents, but they exist as Docomo alternatives.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

leather fedora posted:

It must've gotten picked up by influencers/tour guides because the locations in Shibuya and Shinjuku almost always have lines. When I see how long they are, part of me wants to tell them about the other locations not even 15 minutes away on train, but if they're going by whatever they saw on Youtube or whatever to begin with, they might not be adventurous enough for the diversion.

I always wonder if people like that think or assume some locations of a chain are truly ‘better’ than others. I wouldn’t know for Ichiran. Of course maybe it’s just a question of want to go to THE place that was recommended.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

The Suica card I left in my hotel room in march was not in the lost and found in December.

I wouldn't have been surprised if they had it but am also kind of surprised that they didn't.

???

Even if it had been handed in it most probably would been disposed of after 6 months. Nowhere can be expected to just hold on to things forever.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Looking at flights from Tokyo to Fukuoka just to see what prices are like. My trip isn't until November so I'm just trying to figure out what to budget for a flight, not actually book today.

Looks like flights are bumping up against $200 until we hit October and then they start to jump to like $800. Is this an actual seasonal thing, or is this just google flights throwing out some nonsense numbers because i'm looking at flights like 11 months out and I may as well be asking for prices for the year 2037? I'm hoping it's the latter.

Hoping to score a day or two at the Kyushu sumo tournament while I'm there in November but obviously tickets don't go on sale until later this year and I'm not booking any flights until I actually know what days I need to be in Fukuoka.

A domestic flight should be closer to $200 outside of peak times, even with carriers like JAL or ANA. If you don’t mind going back out to Narita, even sub $100 fares are possible through LCCs. Or Haneda for more money but potentially the quickest overall travel time.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 10, 2024

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

For arcades, what are you actually interested in?

If you just want to see how things are now and try your hand at crane games, etc. then any random Round 1, GIGO or Taito Station will offer a similar experience. If you’re more of a long time fan of arcade games and want the chance to play some retro and rare games, then HEY Akihabara, GIGO Akihabara 1, Mikado Takadanobaba, and Mikado Ikebukuro are probably the best locations off head. HEY and the Mikado locations are also particularly good for fighters.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

teddust posted:

There is only one hotel I the rabbit island, and I'm not sure why you'd want to stay there overnight. I took a day trip there from Hiroshima.

I've stayed there two times, though only in the summer months and over 5 years ago now. First time on a solo trip around the area, second time with a friend.

Pros:
- Best rabbit/human ratios in the evenings, especially in the area directly in front of the hotel, where many of them gathered as the sun set (proof below).
- Beautiful night sky views from pretty much anywhere
- Beautiful sunrise and misty sea views from the ferry port area
- Basically private beach at night
- Hotel buffets were good and included as standard (good thing too as it's the only option on the island)
- Reasonable price (<15,000 JPY)
- Could more leisurely explore the full island with less concern about time

Cons:
- Hotel had no private baths/showers at all

I'd recommend it, especially if other parts of a trip are focused on actual cities and towns. It's an interesting island.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Depends on your schedule, but Miyajima is very doable. If you can arrive there by around 3 or so. later than that and things will start to close.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

EDIT: Misread the dates of this year's GW.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 9, 2024

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

I am morbidly curious what capsule hotel food is like.

I assume it just means free cup noodles but I'm imagining a capsule hotel chef now.

For one example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI8hpyXmTEE
From around 9:00.

Basically like what you can get in some net cafes.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

In my experience, only certain medical institutions still insist on masks. Any place a typical tourist will go should have 0 requirements.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Walking into Matsuya and asking the staff to set the ticket machine to RANDOM mode

That’s seriously not a bad idea.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Additionally, local government websites will sometimes have event listings and/or whole tourism sections or sites.

Example sites:
https://www.city.taito.lg.jp/keyworld/kankou.html
https://www.adachikanko.net/en/
https://koto-kanko.jp/
https://www.kanko-setagaya.jp/

'Ward/city name' + 'kankou' will help you find the 'official' site in many/most cases.

The various wards in Tokyo usually have some kind of tourism information centre somewhere too. There's likely to be flyers/posters for local events in such places.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Good Listener posted:

I'm lookin at some of the regional cuisines as I'm planning out potential trip places to go..in Yokohama doria seems like a tasty option and also thinking of hitting up the monjayaki area in Tokyo. Curious if these are foods you all might have opinions on? I see also Kamata has winged gyoza which just seems like...more gyoza dough which I'm not against.

If you decide to go the Monja street in Tsukishima, Tokyo, especially on a weekend, you're better off booking if you want to have an actual choice of where to go. It gets busy. There are other monja places throughout the city though.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Spikes32 posted:

How touristy or full of people was Nikko? I'm hoping to see some gorgeous scenery but maybe not chock full of shoulder to shoulder crowds.

I've only been in November, post-autumn colors peak, but the main shrine area in Nikko itself was pretty crowded, but the Lake Chuzenji area wasn't that bad. I think the peak crowdedness is in October when the autumn colors are out in full force. Outside of that time I think it's still popular, but isn't crazy. And anyway most tourist buses and such will focus on specific sites, not really reaching many places that require a hike.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

anakha posted:

My questions are as follows:
1. I wanna set aside 3 days for daytrips and am looking at the following places: Kitakyushu, Kumamoto (going with my siblings and one of them is really into ancient history and would go nuts over the palaces and shrines) and Beppu (other sibling really wants to have an onsen experience). Are there any other recommended daytrips from Fukuoka I should be considering?

If your sibling has such an history in ancient history, there’s a place in nearby Saga prefecture that you should check out:
https://www.yoshinogari.jp/en/

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

ARRGHPLEASENONONONO posted:

Also, any tips for off the beaten track stuff in Kyoto?

Shogunzuka and the Toei Kyoto Studio Park were reasonably free of foreign tourists when I went.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Oh my dear God, trying to get a Ghibli Museum ticket through the official website/Lawson's is sheer insanity. :psyduck:

Jeeeeeeesus Christ, how does anyone manage this system? :psyboom: Also, where else can I go to buy a ticket at obviously scalped prices?

What are your dates? The museum will actually be closed for 2 weeks mid-month. It does usually sell out quickly on the foreign site (Japanese still has plenty of availability, though some days are sold out), but May has less availability than normal.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Most places at least take Visa/Mastercard. Anything else is a toss up.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

What are some relatively inexpensive treats/gifts I can bring back from Japan to give to my coworkers after my trip? One of my colleagues suggested Meiji chocolates. I was thinking unique KitKat flavors.

Anything else?

Tourist Kit Kats are actually oddly expensive for what you get (although with the exchange rate right maybe you won’t notice), at least for the single packs. They were around 1000JPY each last I saw. For co-workers, just picking up a bunch of Pocky/Toppo or something will probably be fine if you want to hand things out to individuals. Those single packs are maybe 150-200 JPY each. For multipacks/share boxes, maybe KitKats will be fine even if expensive.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 26, 2024

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Can anyone recommend a Tokyo metro app that shows the whole subway at a glance in an abstract way? I like how MetroMan does it for Beijing and other Chinese cities since it is clean and easy to read to orient myself.

I know people recommend Google Maps, but I think that’s much more suited for finding out how to specifically get from Point A to Point B.

Tokyo Metro is just one/two of like a dozen train services serving the city. It of course all depends on where you need to go, but an app that covers all available lines will typically give the best guidance.

As such, I’d suggest this one:
https://apps.apple.com/jp/app/japan-travel-route-map-guide/id686373726?l=en-US

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

ntan1 posted:

itym the Tokyo Rinkai Kosoku Tetsudo Rinkai Line

For reference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkcrGzYhAek

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

root of all eval posted:

Is smoking indoors still as prevalent as it was 5+ years ago? It was nice last time when I was a still a smoker but now I am not and that isn't something I'm looking forward to. Curious if social attitudes have shifted.

It was bizarre to me that smoking outdoors seemed less common than smoking indoors even

No, it’s not. New regulations were introduced recently to restrict it. Some places still allow it, but they will mostly have explicit ‘smoking okay’ signs posted somewhere. The default is non-smoking.

That’s how it is in Tokyo at least.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm already thinking of doing another trip to Japan next year, but considering Osaka or Kyoto instead. What about Fukuoka or other cities? Is it possible to make a day trip to a specific location like Jigokudani or Cat Island and back or do you need to plan on getting a hotel at these kinds of locations?

Jigokudani as in the Nagano snow monkey park? Day tripping from Tokyo is possible, though you'd be better off staying at a hotel near Ueno or Tokyo Station to make things a bit easier since you'll probably have an early start.
https://www.snowmonkeyresorts.com/smr/snowmonkeypark/how-to-get-to-the-jigokudani-monkey-park/

For the Cat Island, presuming you mean Tashirojima in Miyagi Prefecture, then day tripping from Tokyo wouldn't be a good idea. If you base yourself in Sendai for a couple of days, then a day trip from there should be reasonably comfortable. Note that daytripping from Tokyo is technically possible, but would be super rushed.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Just got back from Japan! I had a marvelously wonderful time, but I think the biggest lesson in pain I learned was taking the reservation system seriously or coming super early if you need to buy day-of tickets, otherwise you’re just setting yourself up for heartbreak - especially during a busy holiday like Golden Week.

It's worth looking things up at least. Of course some attractions are just super popular, but others are just small and so have quite limited availability.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Good Listener posted:

Mostly I just thought it might be cool to see a castle. Maybe there are cooler ones we could train ride a few hours out of Tokyo and see perhaps. That's a shame to hear the palace is p boring though.

Also I decided last night I'm going to stop looking ahead of time for places to get food. There are just TOO many choices it'll be easier to just wander upon stuff while we're there and maybe find something good.

The closest castles from Tokyo are in Odawara and Atami I think (could be wrong though). The Atami castle is on top of hill with nice views of the city and there’s a sex museum on the grounds. It’s not authentic as such, but is interesting at least. There are also fireworks in the town pretty much every month except January and June, and the town is known for its onsen resorts, so if your trip coincides, an overnight stay isn’t a bad idea.

Odawara castle has some actual history to it (though it is a rebuild) and apparently there are ninja/samurai museums on the grounds too now.

Odawara and Atami are not so far apart, so you could feasibly fit both into a day trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Early July isn’t that bad. Just might be rainy.