Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Hello Japan thread, I'm going to Japan with a friend for 3 weeks on the 14th, we'll be in Tokyo, Osaka, Hakone, Hiroshima, Kyoto, and Sendai. We're both really into old video games and old arcade games in particular. Any recommendations for arcades with older games that are in the places I listed besides Tokyo (we know where to go in Tokyo)? We're looking for places with lots of games from the mid 80's-late 90's, not really looking to play the latest fighting games or whatever. Also we'll be in a lot of suburban areas going to Hard-Offs for old games and electronics, if you know of similar or better recycle shops to check out that would be a big help too. We're not gonna spend much time at the super potato style places dedicated only to selling used games because from what I understand they're either picked clean now or ridiculously expensive, but if you know of a place that's somehow not like that I'd love to hear about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I've been travelling around Japan with my friend for 2 weeks now, we've been in Osaka for the past few days, the dottonbori area. Halloween is loving huge here, and people have been going nuts on the streets at night for like 3 days straight, it's pretty amazing to see huge crowds of people milling around in costume being loud and crazy and littering/smoking wherever while bosozoku and dudes in go-karts(?!) tear around the streets revving real loud, and crowds of cops run around blowing their whistles ineffectually. It's a huge contrast to the Japan we've seen so far and a pretty cool experience, though I'm sure the old folks absolutely hate it. I'm gonna get real :spergin: and say it reminded me of something out of Akira

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

hot sauce posted:

Does anyone know if any of those robot battle games in the Taito arcades are available for home consoles? The one where you hold the two pistol controllers was really cool but I can't remember the name. The ps4 isn't region locked so it wouldn't matter if it's a japan only release.

just buy the arcade board in akihabara like I did with dodonpachi 2 weeks ago. on a completely unrelated note it's been interesting experiencing japan as a poor person. did you know you can sleep in manga cafes

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

I could probably plan a whole trip bumming around arcades.

This is pretty much what I'm doing, though I'm only into the older stuff which is getting harder to find. So far I've been to:

Hey - tokyo
Try - tokyo
ebisen - tokyo
a cho - kyoto
sega avion - osaka
taito station (the good one in denden town proper) - osaka

I like try the best so far because the game selection on the 8th floor is like catered to my exact interests while being super chill unlike hey which has similar stuff but is super rowdy and packed. a cho in kyoto was a nice place too and saved me from a lot of boredom (travelling with a friend who is big into shrines n' temples)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

DiscoJ posted:

Will you be spending any more time in Tokyo this trip? If so, you'd probably like Mikado in Takadanobaba. Warehouse down in Kawasaki also has a good selection of retro titles, including a Street Fighter (1) machine with the pressure sensitive buttons. Game Park (Rumble Plaza) in Ikebukuro isn't bad too.

pretty sure I considered most of those but I'm not that into fighters, more into shooters/other types of action games so idk how much those places have to offer me, if you think any would be good for that i'll definitely check it out

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

DiscoJ posted:

Mikado is worth a visit for sure. It is most famous for fighters, but they are mostly concentrated on its second floor. The first floor and the second floor around the stairs is similar to the retro parts Try and Hey.

cool, I'll go check it out now!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

just came back from mikado, it was a really cool place. personally try is still my favorite because it has a few relatively unknown games that I love and never thought I'd get to play in an arcade/havent seen anywhere else, I commented to friends that it's like the owner has been reading my twitter feed and set up every weird rear end old game I rave about.

that said mikado definitely has more genre variety and a whole bunch of classic arcade games that had special cabinets (outrun, space harrier etc) and is on the whole a much more inviting place if you like old arcade stuff but want a fun place that's more than just rows of otaku at candy cabs (and isn't an utter madhouse like HEY). tons of stuff that you'll remember from US arcades if you grew up during those times. the players there are top notch too, I watched a girl absolutely destroying battle garegga while absentmindedly checking her phone and a really skilled dude clearing DDP, great experience.

I really wish I could check out that kowloon themed place but we go back to the US day after tomorrow and just don't have the time to go there from kanda :(

d0s fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 4, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

even for old game fans barcades (at least the ones in nyc metro area) are terrible. everything is half broken and they get like fire hazard packed full of a really touristy/weird crowd. I really wish there was still any sort of normal arcade scene in the US apart from california

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

take her to shinsekai

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

there's an arcade with a vast collection of titty mahjong games in shinsekai

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

BB2K posted:

i will also go with you to shinsekai, i live not too far away and i love shinsekai

yeah i lurk this thread a lot and every time I see people diss osaka I'm like wtf because it has shinsekai, the best place in japan

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

As someone who barely ever leaves the warm embrace of Shibuya-ku and Minato-ku without specific reason, what's so cool about shinsekai?

d0s posted:

there's an arcade with a vast collection of titty mahjong games in shinsekai

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Original_Z posted:

For niche things like that Japanese companies prefer to just price gouge the fans instead of hoping that a lower price will attract more customers. Similar to how anime blurays are also quite expensive and hold very little content.

I was in high school when the 6 episode OVA anime FLCL came out, they put one 30 minute episode per DVD released monthly; each DVD was around $80. A rich friend was importing it as it came out and that's how I first saw it. though the DVDs were packaged really nice and had english subtitles and came with cool things like posters and stickers (that all probably came nowhere near affecting the huge profit margin) iirc

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

when I went last month it was Delta both ways, on the way there it was an old boeing and the (economy) seat was extra-bad, the food was terrible and the general flight was just lovely. On the way back it was an airbus made in this decade and everything was a lot better, weirdly including the food. The in flight entertainment screen content was "eh".

when I went in 2016 it was ANA both ways and it was great compared to either flight. there were a ton of strange videos on the entertainment screens about how to not make a fool of yourself and/or get arrested in japan and I spent like 3 hours watching them all

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

KAWAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII~~~~~~~~~~~~

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I use really hardcore american deodorant, that clear gel stuff in a stick that you slather on like spackle. I ran out halfway though my most recent two week trip in march (just threw it in my bag without checking how much was left) and had to buy japanese deodorant despite hearing horror stories of it not working. I got 8X4 "smart citrus", it's a liquid that uses a roll applicator. It actually worked fine and I'm still using it here in the US till it runs out

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

go to the store BEEP in akihabara even if you don't know anything about what it sells. It's a very fun place to browse and they have a bunch of old japanese computers out and running you can play with. Last time I was there I bought this and had to buy a danbooru and bubble wrappu at donki and checked it as baggage on the airplane to get it home

there are other old game stores in akiba but none with such a cool/curated selection and interactivity as BEEP. it's like going to some hyper nerd clubhouse. They sell a lot of stuff made by independent creators (all revolving around old computers/games), fanzines and hardware, etc. It's kinda hard to find because it's off the big main street and down a flight of stairs:

Don't buy stuff there though unless you know exactly what you're looking for and can't find it anywhere else, the price for old console games or whatever stuff you can get at 10 other shops in akiba is insanely high, but the really interesting stuff is competitively priced (or can only be found there). I've heard this shop described as stepping back in time to "old akiba" before the maid cafes and loli stuff

e:

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 17, 2019

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Blackchamber posted:

I really hope I can find a place like this in Osaka/Kyoto on my trip.

Doesn't exist there I'm afraid, closest thing will be some places in dendentown like a-too but they're really typical used console game stores without anything really exotic

In osaka/kyoto go to arcades. The good taito station on the main drag in dendentown, the tiny hole in the wall almost across the street from it, the 2-3 places in shinsekai, a-cho in kyoto

e:

Bloodnose posted:

It definitely feels more mainstream than it used to be and some chuds might bitch about that but honestly it just means more for us to buy and enjoy.

it's not about it being more mainstream, if anything it's more weird. I mean I'm a giant weeb but modern otaku culture and akiba kinda freak me out. I mean if you specific hobby is anime titties, great? but it used to be a lot more varied and cater to a lot more hobbies beyond titty and rice cooker for china. Not saying that varied stuff isn't still there but there used to be a lot more for different kinds of nerds. also how does not being super into anime tiddy make someone a chud wtf

e: also dendentown is a lot better if you want to go to a japanese nerd district and have hobbies beyond anime wives

d0s fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 17, 2019

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

do u know dokdo?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

yet another thing the evil Japanese try to steal from Korea.

is there a curated list somewhere

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I spent one night in a ryokan in hakone and it ruled. the food was awesome. The next morning we took a bus up a mountain and went to some ancient tea house where we had snacks and several kinds of delicious tea and that hot sake drink that has rice in it. Then we wandered around the lake area, a long chill walk through those two little towns near the southern end and the old cedar avenue thing between them. we also went to the evangelion store, which ruled. hakone is cool.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

the place we stayed at was not a luxury place (it was more that it was super old, family run) and was full of japanese, I think we were some of the only white folks there (e: and there were zero chinese :v:). It wasn't really near a lot of the tourist stuff. my friend picked it and is super into this stuff as you seem to be and talked about all that. I'm not saying everything in hakone is like that but not everything is what you're describing either

EDIT: Though yeah, I'm not sure that there was anything special about the water. neither of us really care about onsen too much so we didn't pick it on that basis. we picked it because it was a cool old place in a beautiful location with a reputation for legit good food and there was other stuff we wanted to see in hakone. I'm gonna get the name from my friend when I get the chance and post it

d0s fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 20, 2019

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

actually found pics from there (from 2016)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

speaking of toto stuff, I had my friend order me one of these on amazon prime while I was staying at his place last month:

I get back to america and it turns out there are different toilet paper standards because american rolls don't fit right lmao :suicide:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

when I was in shinsekai standing somewhere checking my phone a chinese woman had her toddler stand next to me to take a photo (without asking). I prevented not to notice to avoid any face loss

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I remember in 2004 or 2005 being in times square for new years and seeing groups of bewildered and terrified older Japanese on some kind of package tour with the matching hats etc. They were standing still all huddled together but had the look of people riding a particularly intense roller coaster or shroom trip

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

as an american I will take any asian tourists over a particular type of sloppy drunk european tourist. though I'm sure europe gets an identical share of sloppy drunk american tourists

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

- Arcades are everywhere. That said in terms of "new games", it's always the same dozen games or so. I didn't realize that such few companies made modern arcade games in Japan.

The Japanese arcade industry is in a toilet compared to how it was even 15 years ago, as far as variety is concerned. The games are now targeted exclusively towards obsessive types with lots of skinner box poo poo, as opposed to what arcade games used to be: quick bursts of fun that are "easy to learn, hard to master". Instead of many different games arcades in Japan now are full of dozens of copies of maybe like 6 games. There are certain arcades that are dedicated to the old, good games (look for places full of identical cabinets with CRT monitors) and those places are great, but walking into a random taito station or club sega is going to be a real boring, samey experience.

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 24, 2019

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

mikeycp posted:

the new densha de go is really loving good though

yeah true!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

UFO catchers are bullshit and need to be outlawed.

for the most part I agree but I won a pretty good taito station waifu on a single coin once so I'm conflicted

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

Mostly true, but rhythm games have never been better. I spend a stupid amount on SDVX or whatever whenever I'm over.

Yeah I guess part of my complaint is that I never really cared for them and over the years they ended up taking over so much floor space in arcades, pushing out all the sticks and buttons games (except for fighters). If you're into it though yeah it's a great time to be an rhythm game player

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

if you gently caress up at a zaibatsu you don't even get fired just sent to a room where you get paid to do nothing and chill on the internet all day, until retirement. to the japanese mind this is bad, for some reason

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

if you pronounce english words the way they do in animes they understand you better (seriously)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE__-PLBT7Y

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm extremely basic, when I'm in japan I drink nothing but asahi. I genuinely like it a lot and it tastes better there

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Phone posted:

isn't asahi in the states just brewed up in canada?

I think so, it tastes completely different

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I didn't like nakano broadway because it was kind of poo poo for old games in a way akihabara was not (nothing there like kvclab or kaden no kenchan or BEEP or the game-focused suruga-ya). It didn't seem to have any of the electronics hobbyist history of akiba and probably started as a place for manga and anime or idol nerds or something (nothing wrong with that, just not really a big thing for me).

My friend who collected japanese music CDs LOVED it though

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Blackchamber posted:

There's a place there that sells gachapon second hand, so basically if there is a set or specific ones you want you can likely get them there with none of the chance/luck required of normal machines. That place was awesome.

there are a few of these places in every otaku district from what I've seen, even in the sad nakano broadway clone in kobe

e:

Phone posted:

so i'm torn between bringing the dock for the switch or the snes mini even though i can just load up higan on my laptop, does anyone have any input as to what the best option is here with only bringing a duffel bag and a backpack as carryons?

:what: dude you're going to the land of good arcades leave your video games at home :psyduck:

e2: I think I'm bad at detecting sarcasm

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

If initial D is was the best thing you could find to play you were in a Bad Arcade

Here's a list of good ones I've been to:

Tokyo
HEY - Akihabara
Natsuge Museum - Akihabara
Ebi-sen - Nerima
Mikado - Takadanobaba and Ikebukuro
Daiba 1-Chome - Odaiba (more of a kitschy retro themed place but good if you like really old stuff)

Osaka
Taito Station - The one on the main drag in Denden town, not the one by Namba station
レトロゲーセン ザリガニ - Two locations in Shinsekai and one on denden town main drag almost across the street from the Taito Station

Kyoto
A-Cho

Kobe
Super Amusement Square Algo - near sannomiya station by the entrance of Ikuta shrine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

haha I also watched kimi no na wa on an ANA fight back from japan in 2016. I clapped at the X68000 cameo