Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Archer666 posted:

Also, why is Takarazuka merch so goddamn expensive? I was at the Grand Theater yesterday (holy gently caress, it looked amazing and the size of it too) and the Quatre had blu rays for like 10k yen a piece. Are they printed on gold? Or the crushed dreams of girls who never got into Takarazuka Music School?

have you seen the price of new DVDs and Blu-Rays for regular TV shows and movies in Japan? Or the cost of buying CDs or full albums? It's a pricey step up over the US. They're often easily 5,000 yen plus for movies on Blu-Ray at launch. Special edition things like that I can easily see going for more. Comparable ones (like concert Blu-Rays) I can imagine going for about the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

harperdc posted:

I don’t know what part of the Japanese process made it look any easier or any less of a pain in the rear end of a lottery for people in Japan to get Ghibli tickets. I know people who have tried for three or four months in a row and kept striking out. It’s really difficult and only might get better when the theme park opens up.

Oh I thought you could purchase them at a physical location, and that made it easier. :shrug:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh I thought you could purchase them at a physical location, and that made it easier. :shrug:

You can but the person still has to be in Lawson at a particular time and they are still competing with everyone else in the country. When our friend bought ours she couldn’t get them for the first day we wanted to go because they had sold out and she was right there at 10 on the 10th. Make sure you give several alternate days and times if you convince someone to do it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

If you like birbs, make sure to go to the sanctuary in Kakegawa. Just a bunch of connected greenhouses and wooded areas where they fly around and will land on you for snacks. Lots of fish there too, if you're into that.

Kakegawa was an unplanned stop because I didn't want to do a second day of riding in the rain, and I'm so glad I did. I spent the entire day playing with birds, and accomplished my life goal of hugging an emu.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Asking for a friend! She is going to be in Japan for her birthday (April 23), will there be a good place to see cherry blossoms on or around that day?

Thanks.

VV Shoot! Thanks.

JD fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 6, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They'll all be gone by then except way up north in like Aomori and Hokkaido.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Bought my plane tickets today! Nov 2 - 17, gonna be a good trip! :)

Nice deal too. I wanted to get on a Japanese airline, but the savings were too nice to pass up. Delta Airlines from LAX to HND for $688 after taxes, direct flight! Whoooo, can't wait!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

arisu posted:

Bought my plane tickets today! Nov 2 - 17, gonna be a good trip! :)

Nice deal too. I wanted to get on a Japanese airline, but the savings were too nice to pass up. Delta Airlines from LAX to HND for $688 after taxes, direct flight! Whoooo, can't wait!

Yeah, I've had good experiences with Delta.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Good poo poo y'all.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

kawaii

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Archer666 posted:

Also, why is Takarazuka merch so goddamn expensive? I was at the Grand Theater yesterday (holy gently caress, it looked amazing and the size of it too) and the Quatre had blu rays for like 10k yen a piece. Are they printed on gold? Or the crushed dreams of girls who never got into Takarazuka Music School?

For niche things like that Japanese companies prefer to just price gouge the fans instead of hoping that a lower price will attract more customers. Similar to how anime blurays are also quite expensive and hold very little content.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

Yeah, I've had good experiences with Delta.

Same, plus Delta flying international is a higher standard than the domestic US flights too.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
huh. i've had such bad experiences with delta domestically that i never considered them internationally.

guess i can file that away for next time. this time though i'm flying jal, so

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Original_Z posted:

For niche things like that Japanese companies prefer to just price gouge the fans instead of hoping that a lower price will attract more customers. Similar to how anime blurays are also quite expensive and hold very little content.

I was in high school when the 6 episode OVA anime FLCL came out, they put one 30 minute episode per DVD released monthly; each DVD was around $80. A rich friend was importing it as it came out and that's how I first saw it. though the DVDs were packaged really nice and had english subtitles and came with cool things like posters and stickers (that all probably came nowhere near affecting the huge profit margin) iirc

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

mikeycp posted:

huh. i've had such bad experiences with delta domestically that i never considered them internationally.

US airlines internationally are a whole different experience. Like they're not Singapore or anything but they're not that different from your basic good airlines like JAL or Korean Air. At least trans-Pacific international anyway, I'm sure that going to Canada or whatever isn't anything special.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

mikeycp posted:

they're the only direct way I can fly from Japan back home so I've ridden that a bunch, and it's Fine if you find it at a good price or if it's a better route that doesn't require a bunch of flight changes or bad layovers.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

when I went last month it was Delta both ways, on the way there it was an old boeing and the (economy) seat was extra-bad, the food was terrible and the general flight was just lovely. On the way back it was an airbus made in this decade and everything was a lot better, weirdly including the food. The in flight entertainment screen content was "eh".

when I went in 2016 it was ANA both ways and it was great compared to either flight. there were a ton of strange videos on the entertainment screens about how to not make a fool of yourself and/or get arrested in japan and I spent like 3 hours watching them all

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

d0s posted:

when I went last month it was Delta both ways, on the way there it was an old boeing and the (economy) seat was extra-bad, the food was terrible and the general flight was just lovely. On the way back it was an airbus made in this decade and everything was a lot better, weirdly including the food. The in flight entertainment screen content was "eh".

when I went in 2016 it was ANA both ways and it was great compared to either flight. there were a ton of strange videos on the entertainment screens about how to not make a fool of yourself and/or get arrested in japan and I spent like 3 hours watching them all

Oh God, did you get that old 747 they were still running out of Narita? I rode that thing once and it was loving awful, lol. Every other time with Delta has been 777s and they've been good.

The only US airline I've been on that was consistently poo poo was American. Even United is decent, but I don't travel with pets.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

d0s posted:

there were a ton of strange videos on the entertainment screens about how to not make a fool of yourself and/or get arrested in japan and I spent like 3 hours watching them all

Go on...

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I've taken United economy once and business once and those were fine and great. But ANA ruled a lot.

Asiana was very decent but there movie selection wasn't great I guess. Absolutely dreadful stopover in Seoul though

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I did United this time around because my top priority above all other things when flying to Tokyo is that I go to Haneda and not Narita. Mission accomplished. Also they were running a 787 and it was nice.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I like to fly JAL to Europe except the selection of western movies tends to be pretty bad. KLM has been mostly good except for the one time I had a 747 with the same screens I remember from 2002 or so and which was noisy as gently caress.

LOT, Finnair and Lufthansa are all good choices too with usually lots of dumb movies to watch. Aeroflot was bad and I'd rather not ever fly with them again, just for having to get through Sheremetyevo and the sandwich you get for a meal.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
JAL has the best seat space, over ANA, which has good seat space. All of these beat American/United/Delta. I'm 6 foot so this matters.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah I'm 185cm and JAL is generally comfortable enough to catch a nap if I take a few melatonin and put on The Fellowship of the Ring

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Which airline has the most anime? United only had Doraemon and Detective Conan it was shameful.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

Which airline has the most anime? United only had Doraemon and Detective Conan it was shameful.

ANA or JAL of course are your best bet.

ntan1 posted:

JAL has the best seat space, over ANA, which has good seat space. All of these beat American/United/Delta. I'm 6 foot so this matters.

I've never gotten to fly on JAL but every airline is pain and suffering for me unless I'm in Economy Plus (I'm 6'5 so uh yeah). I've yet to enjoy Business or up, sadly, despite having a number of extremely long flights the last few years for work.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I'll definitely check the movie selection but normally I have like 4 battery powered devices with me so I think I'll be entertained either way.

I also got to nab a bulkhead seat so I get way more legroom. Had to give up the aisle seat but that's not too bad, since it's in the front I won't be stepping over anyone to get out at least.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The teaching in Japan thread is archived so I'll just ask here: generally, what kind of requirements do international schools have for their English teachers? For example, will they except teaching degrees from non-native countries? I currently have an MA that I could supplement with a 1-year course that would give me a first degree teacher's certification for the Netherlands, allowing me to teach at Dutch high schools and so forth. Would that be accepted as the equivalent of a similar degree from the UK or the US, for example?

For context: i have a CELTA and speak Japanese sorta and have 2 years' eikaiwa experience. Also married to a Japanese person so a visa is no real issue. I don't really want to do eikaiwa again and I'd rather teach a regular class at an international school or at a uni or something.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Bloodnose posted:

ana had a ton but also what's wrong with doraemon and conan???

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Shibawanko posted:

The teaching in Japan thread is archived so I'll just ask here: generally, what kind of requirements do international schools have for their English teachers? For example, will they except teaching degrees from non-native countries? I currently have an MA that I could supplement with a 1-year course that would give me a first degree teacher's certification for the Netherlands, allowing me to teach at Dutch high schools and so forth. Would that be accepted as the equivalent of a similar degree from the UK or the US, for example?

For context: i have a CELTA and speak Japanese sorta and have 2 years' eikaiwa experience. Also married to a Japanese person so a visa is no real issue. I don't really want to do eikaiwa again and I'd rather teach a regular class at an international school or at a uni or something.

Doesn't sound like you'd necessarily be limited to teaching English. Could you/have you considered teaching in a university on the subject you got your MA in?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

totalnewbie posted:

Doesn't sound like you'd necessarily be limited to teaching English. Could you/have you considered teaching in a university on the subject you got your MA in?

My MA is in complit, would they let me teach with just an MA? In the Netherlands that's generally impossible.

Honestly I'd love to teach literature

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

will they except teaching degrees

No

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mikeycp posted:

ana had a ton but also what's wrong with doraemon and conan???

No titties.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Does JR Central not have an online reservation system for shinkansen tickets? All I see on their website are diagrams for using the ticket machines. Dad's freaking out about needing to arrive in Kyoto by a specific time (Airbnb people are picking us up). I want to tell him to shut the gently caress up and we'll just buy the tickets when we get to Odawara station the day of, but I'm paranoid that it all of a sudden won't work that way.

EDIT: Turns out there's an app: https://smart-ex.jp/en/ Seems to be official. Doesn't mean dad won't poo poo his pants, but he'll do that no matter what, so gently caress him.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 8, 2019

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

LyonsLions posted:

No titties.

I see your point

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Pollyanna posted:

Does JR Central not have an online reservation system for shinkansen tickets? All I see on their website are diagrams for using the ticket machines. Dad's freaking out about needing to arrive in Kyoto by a specific time (Airbnb people are picking us up). I want to tell him to shut the gently caress up and we'll just buy the tickets when we get to Odawara station the day of, but I'm paranoid that it all of a sudden won't work that way.

EDIT: Turns out there's an app: https://smart-ex.jp/en/ Seems to be official. Doesn't mean dad won't poo poo his pants, but he'll do that no matter what, so gently caress him.

tell your dad to shut the gently caress up

the timetable is generous as hell, like there are trains leaving every 3 minutes

https://global.jr-central.co.jp/en/info/timetable/_pdf/eastbound_0316.pdf
https://global.jr-central.co.jp/en/info/timetable/_pdf/westbound_0316.pdf

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Trains are extremely reliable. Biggest hurdle is if you get to the station on time.

Shibawanko posted:

My MA is in complit, would they let me teach with just an MA? In the Netherlands that's generally impossible.

Honestly I'd love to teach literature

I don't know. I was just suggesting you look at options outside of just teaching English to see if it's possible to teach in your specialty.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I was in Tokyo three years and saw these in a store in the mall attached to the main train station, but when I returned three weeks later the store was gone. Does anyone know what the hell brand or whatever these things are so I can order one online as a gift? In particular, there was a handwarmer version that I'm looking for. I assume it's some kind of known brand / line, rather than random Japanese cute thing #30366889.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

totalnewbie posted:

Trains are extremely reliable.

counterpoint: takarazuka line running like 25 minutes behind schedule the other day. and I just saw a nozomi arrive 2 minutes late and the driver didn’t even commit seppuku on the platform. o tempura o mores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Xotl posted:

I was in Tokyo three years and saw these in a store in the mall attached to the main train station, but when I returned three weeks later the store was gone. Does anyone know what the hell brand or whatever these things are so I can order one online as a gift? In particular, there was a handwarmer version that I'm looking for. I assume it's some kind of known brand / line, rather than random Japanese cute thing #30366889.

The characters name is Siro-tan, try looking online for that

https://sirotan.fun