Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Aredna posted:

Approximately 2 cases of tallboys from Amazon delivered to your door.

What an incredible country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Akihabara is seriously bad aesthetically and audibly, but you can get good cheap poo poo there...

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Phone posted:

Super Potato has ruined My Precious Japanese Games.

I bought my nephews a shitload of Mario toys from there. Needs suited.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

cosmicprank posted:

I was hanging with some friends last night in Shinjuku and one had mentioned that dancing at clubs is banned... I haven't been to a club yet in Tokyo and wanted to make tonight my first time, but, gently caress, I don't really know what else to do at a club. Is he full of it? What's the best one or two in Tokyo if I can only go to one or two?

I dance every single goddamn weekend. If you wanna pay, go to ageha. It shits all over every other club in Tokyo.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Phone posted:

Confirmed, Knuc is Kevin Bacon.

It's true.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I get my meals from Family Mart.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Phone posted:

Oh, good to know that I'm getting the authentic Japanese experience. Places I've eaten:
1. Familymart spicy chicken
2. 7-11 spicy chicken
3. Lawson spicy chicken
4. Coco ichi
5. Familymart spicy chicken

Family mart does the best spicy chicken, easily.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Who the gently caress still uses travellers cheques?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Why do so many goons bring their cats to Japan. Give the fuckers away and save yourself a headache and the animals an ordeal.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In my anecdotal experience I've noticed a lot more foreigners working outside the teaching industry than I did 8 years ago. Could be that the market for English teachers is worse (it is) or that I'm older and thus I hang out with sophisticated older gaijins or even that Japanese companies are opening up a little bit more to foreign workers.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

gently caress it got warm really fast. I've never made the transition from winter to spring here and It's crazy how quickly it gets hot.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Make sure to buy a gudetama sticker for your suica.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Helios Grime posted:

I'll be going to Japan this October for ~14days, we'll want to visit Osaka, Kyoto an Tokyo. What do you guys recommend on the amount of time to stay in each places? We'll want to have the most time for Tokyo. Also any recommendations for nice daytrips would be really grand (Any good places for hiking/nature suff would be cool). I was in Tokyo and Kyoto last year for a week but only kept to the city and didn't really see much else.

Climb Takao in west Tokyo...it's not tough but you get a nice view of the city and Fuji and you could do it in the morning and be back in town to do something else in the afternoon.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The best part about those family baths is the pubes floating around.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

Typical Japanese hop in the bathtub immediately after showering. So unless you want to bathe in your own filth you should shower outside the tub. Otherwise you'll need to wait for the tub to fill after your shower, like a barbarian.

Most newer apartments have the toilet separate from the bath/shower room.

It's the only way I can bathe now.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It's been like 8 years since I lost something on a train here, but how hard is it to get stuff back? I lost my phone on Sunday morning and thus far the JR lost and found hasn't found it...thoughts?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Also, what should I do about my bic sim contract. I don't have high hopes of retrieving my phone at this point and was wondering what my best bets are. Someone told me I could just get a second hand docomo phone and have a replacement bic sim put straight into it...this is so loving めんどくさい

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

caberham posted:

Do you have find my iPhone or google track android?

Activate that next time

I have that, but my phone is out of battery.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

RIP, my phone. You had a good run. Now, where's the cheapest place to get a smartphone in tokyo.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I like Osaka, but probably because my best friends live there. There's tons of decent independent coffee shops all around.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

My buddy likes to troll his Osaka native wife by saying things like "the okonomiyaki in tokyo is better".

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CaptainCrunch posted:

Well I just booked a flight to Tokyo for the last week of March 2017. First time there, been on the bucket list since the '80s. I'll be there for 8 days.

I'd welcome any input you guys have on best timing to book stuff like Ghibli Museum and Tokyo Disney Sea tickets, and any other "must-see's". I have a super long list of stuff I've wanted to see/do that I'm trying to whittle down AND make sure I just wander around without a rush for a few of the days.

I will also eat everything there, so you guys might want to lay in provisions. :v:

Biggest questions that I have that I'm googling but wouldn't mind input on are: Likelihood of any good hanami or catching a sumo match between March 28 and April 8?

Pretty drat excited.

edit: excited for my page snipe, that is. Ack.

Disney sea and ghibli are must sees? Lol.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lol.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

peanut posted:

It's all the same posters in every thread :shrug: We're chilling in LINE chat.

*Shudders*

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

gently caress people that don't have phones. My idiot coworker hasn't had a phone since she got here a year ago and wonders why people just started leaving her behind when she wanders off by herself or is late to anything.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Stalins Moustache posted:

Hey. I'm going to be spending a week in Tokyo from the 17th to the 24th of august, meaning that I'll have quite some time to at least see the most touristy things Tokyo can offer. I've already taken a look at tripadvisor as well as some recommendations from friends, but do you goons have any personal recommendations as to what I should do?

Edit: I like partying, drinking, meeting people and I've a hard-on for anything urbanism or city planning related as that is my field of study.

Also, on the 24th I'm leaving from Tokyo to Akita and apparently the best way for me to do so is to take the Akita Shinkansen train from Tokyo Station. I am a little unsure as to whether or not to buy one of the train passes because the japan railways site that I can use to order tickets keep giving me these red letter warnings that it will be much more cheaper for me if I buy one of those train passes. Should I? I'm thinking it might be a little smart to do so as I'll be attending university in Akita for about 5 months, and apparently cities surrounding Akita offers some pretty cool sightseeing stuff and they're easily accessible by train.

Go to the Hub.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Great Autismo! posted:

I will buy you an avatar cert if you post a picture of you and your surfboard in an izakaya when you're visiting Japan

This would be so easy.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There's a surf themed izakaya at my station, can I go and take a picture with a surfboard for an av cert?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

what's wrong with your av tho

Nothing, I just remembered about that izakaya.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Gonna ruin my "never been to Kyoto despite going to Kansai a bunch of times" run today.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

[on a beach in hawaii]

frank: "bro i heard you and jamie broke up"
tom: "yeah...its been so rough. i'm just like, i dunno...i dunno man...im thinking about just, like, leaving it all behind, you know? like just like, i dunno, remember when you were a kid and you just had that dream of like-"
[at the same time]
frank: "moving to ohio"
tom: "moving to ohio"

frank: "oh my God...i totally get it"

You're an idiot.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The most action this thread has seen in years is a bunch of clowns painfully deconstructing the Friends plot arc where Chandler is tricked into moving to Toledo.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Take them a carton of tenga eggs.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Living in Japan is fun...I like being challenged everyday.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

What are the cheapest ways to get between cities in Glorious Nippon?

Overnight bus.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There's only one good thing in Kyoto and that's the distillery.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

caberham posted:

Actually Kyoto is also great for learning about Chinese history and architecture

I don't give a poo poo about that.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Osaka is better than Kyoto.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I like pretty much all Japanese food, but I never get my mind blown by it like I do other Asian cuisine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

peanut posted:

Chill in Japan 4eva imo

I might do this.