Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'll be going back to Japan after 6 years next month for a week (finally visiting Kyoto wooo!).

I was just wondering if I can tap my card/phone to get on trains yet, or do I need to buy tickets or get one of those travel cards?

Also I would love a hanten jacket and a kimono like Samurai Matcha from the YouTube has. Can you recommend anywhere that does them for a reasonable price in Osaka/Kyoto? And is there a district in Osaka that might still sell old walkmans/minidiscs?

That's it for my dumb questions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ah I have Android and it looks like Japan doesn't yet support tap with a normal card or phone like London.

Can I buy a... Suica or Pasmo or whatever they're called at Osaka Airport or are they still hard to get? Thanks for the help!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Thanks all! The ICOCA card is exactly what I need! Is that pronounced like a word or by letter, btw?

Oh, can I get a sim card from Hong Kong or should I order one online and pick up in the airport? I arrive at 6 30am so hopefully the lines won't be too hectic. Just get me in that onsen immediately (yes I have a list).

harperdc posted:

For reference, because I saw one in the wild this afternoon:

Pasmo/Suica up top, credit/debit tap in the middle, QR/barcode reader on bottom.

I haven’t read up on how widespread they are, but I’ve seen a few stations near where I live start putting like one of these each at different station exits. It’s too early to say “just use a card/phone like London” but maybe soon.

Ah, the future is coming!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

harperdc posted:

I guess the English phonetic would be ee-koh-ka, which in Japanese is a phrase (行こうか/ ikouka) that roughly translates to "shall we go?" or "let's go".

That's what I was after! I know a smidgen of Japanese, just wasn't sure how that card should be pronounced!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I would highly recommend the Anshin Oyado capsule Hotel in Shinjuku for convenience, experience and money

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've had nothing but good experiences in capsules and will be exclusively staying in them on my next trip. They have everything you'll need, including baths and ear plugs, and I think they're just really cool. The prices are usually incredible too

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

If I bury myself under blankets with headphones I can (sometimes!)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Zettace posted:

How much do you guys pay for capsules? Last time I checked one out it was 3000 yen a night but if you just added 1000-2000 yen extra you could just stay at a business hotel.

Yeah I'm spending 3000 yen for a capsule in Osaka, but you also get onsen plus free food and drinks on top. Do you get that at the business hotel?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Riptor posted:

You get a door at a business hotel

Overrated.

Grand Fromage posted:

I am morbidly curious what capsule hotel food is like.

I assume it just means free cup noodles but I'm imagining a capsule hotel chef now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RleSgs71d7I&t=1017s All sorts!

DiscoJ posted:

For one example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI8hpyXmTEE
From around 9:00.

Basically like what you can get in some net cafes.

I've been here and it was great. Lots of frogs explaining things. Great baths and amazing location.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I can understand wanting a door and private bathroom haha but I just love the novelty of capsule hotels and I wish other countries had them for a quick snooze at airports and the like.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Perhaps a UK-specific question, but I was all set to order some Yen here online to get sent to me but a YouTuber said the best way is to just show up in Japan then take money out with your debit card from an ATM. Does that make sense or is he a lunatic?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Being stuck with no money sounds very bad so I'll just order some here, and over there I'll use Wise to pay for stuff cos you get a great exchange rate and you don't get cut off

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Should I wear a mask around Japan?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Just didn't want to upset people by not masking up! I'll wear them when indoors in that case.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Is there a district in Osaka that sells old Walkmans/Hi Fi stuff?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

OK I have 2 last questions I promise! What's a nice cheap sushi place in Osaka where I can just eat tons of it? Chains are fine!

Also maybe I can get some stylish glasses for super cheap (based on absolutely nothing). Has anyone ever got glasses in Japan and was it easy or a total nightmare and expensive as hell?

I'm in HK right now, and if you've never been you really should!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Some nice sushi choices! Thanks!. Can't go wrong with any if those.

Thanks for glasses chat. My prescription isn't too bad, but it would have to be next day really. Well I can always pop in and ask!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I haven't been to Japan yet (Saturday) but after a week in HK I can confirm that Donki is the best store I've ever seen

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm just boarding my flight to Japan and truthfully Toriyama's death has really put a massive dampener on my trip! It's really shocking how much its affected me, if I see tributes I might just lose it!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

In a Kyoto bar a few days ago I ended up drinking with a producer from MAPPA and we ended up reminiscing about Toriyama (as well as ranking all the Jojo's)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Dotonbori is crazy and I love it

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Fantastisk posted:

Hello thread! I am currently in Japan with my boyfriend and absolutely loving it! We're meeting up with a group of friends who also happen to be visiting Japan. Do you have any recommendations for an izakaya in Kyoto with good food, good drinks, and maybe private rooms that can accommodate 6 people? Bonus if they have karaoke!

Not an izakaya but two bars you need to go to in Kyoto are Jazz in Roku, small smoky jazz bar that you'll never forget https://maps.app.goo.gl/cWHed7Fzf6NtcJhS7 and Beer Bar MIYAMA https://maps.app.goo.gl/7aDFx21RQWXxx28S7, the bartender speaks English and is cool as hell and it's a real friendly atmosphere. Have fun!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My partner is interning at a company in late July for a month, in Chiyoda. We need to arrange somewhere reasonably priced to stay for those 30 days. I guess a hotel that offers a good monthly rate is the best option? Help me, fellow goons!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

LeoPalace does monthly rentals, there's probably other companies which do this as well.
https://www.leopalace21.com/en

This doesn't seem to be working well for me but I'll Google monthly rentals. Thanks for the link. I just wondered if anyone had some cheap recommendations or hacks first!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

You guys wanna go to Fuji Rock festival? :D :D (seriously. I get a big group together every year.)

Hell yeah! If I can find a room haha

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

On my trip to Japan in March, everywhere that had the contactless sign I used the Wise card in my Google Wallet on my phone and it worked every time.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Gabriel Grub posted:

Being a tourist in Japan feels terrifying.

:dafuq:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

When I left Japan in March and had a whole pocket full of stupid little coins and there was nowhere to dump them in the airport (no charity box or anything!) I just gave them to an old security guard who walked away with a smile on his face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I miss Family Mart so much. Coffee, onigiri, souffle for £3 and it was delicious