Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
don-don-don-donki, donkiiii, okaaaay

(yes i know it's hotee, thank you)

Stringent fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
they should have little smoking terraces on top of the trains.

you gotta sign a waiver to use it so if you get blown off JR isn't liable.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Cacafuego posted:

Yeah, I booked the hotels last week and paid in full (or booked with hotel points) with the thought that the prices were so low and they may go back up if the exchange rates get better for the yen.

With that in mind - I’m reading that Japan is more of a cash based society, but it could be that I’m reading old info. We’re not huge shoppers, but I assume that’s for the smaller shops and markets, and that larger places/local tour providers/Shinkansen tickets/etc would accept credit cards. Would that be correct? What is an appropriate amount of yen to carry around?

covid caused a sea change for w/e reason and most places take cards now.

you should install the suica app on your phone and an epayment app, paypay is the most common.

20k yen in cash is a good baseline to carry around just in case.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
paypay is a good add because a lot of places that don't want to pay credit card fees have set up a qrcode payment thing since they were loss leading getting their poo poo out there

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Cacafuego posted:

^^^All good suggestions, thanks! I’ll add paypay and see if I can add a Suica app to my iPhone. Those would make it easier to pay and get around for sure.

Perhaps another dumb question, but if I’m able to take advantage of the exchange rate now and buy yen here in the US to bring with us, is there a max amount they let you bring in?

just do it at the airport, or better still at atm machines in japan

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Busy Bee posted:

I've had pretty good experiences staying in Airbnb's in Tokyo - bigger space, better location, cheaper, self check in / check out etc. Never had to deal with any bullshit cleaning fees / living like a house guest to be honest.

Now that I think of it, I've had one bad experience staying in Airbnb's out of the 50+ stays in 20+ countries and that was in Tokyo. Booked this Airbnb for a few nights because it had good reviews, was relatively affordable ($50 a night), own apartment and a stop away from Shibuya. The listing was advertised as "Modern" - there was nothing modern about it, it was your typical Japanese home from the 60's and smelled like mold. They advertised as having WiFi but was actually a WiFi hot spot that didn't get more then 5 MB/s. You could "unwind in the jacuzzi" but of course the jacuzzi was your typical 60's Japanese hot tub. You entered the Airbnb and there were 3 air fresheners to try and cover the smell of the mold.

I complained to the host of the WiFi and he randomly came to the Airbnb without messaging me and just reset the hotspot there and said it was fixed.

I left after 1 night.

owned

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
also, i'd like to hear the op's description of a "typical 60's Japanese hot tub", i could amuse a lot of friends with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

Yup. As a spot to get around from it's fine, despite the uh, fun of trying to navigate Shinjuku Station. But it's an expensive spot and there really isn't much in the immediate area. Couple of yokochos, you can go to Kabukicho and get roofied. Other than that it's office buildings.

kabukicho is on the opposite side of the station from the hyatt so i guess you mean all of shinjuku?

there's nothing special about staying in shinjuku other than it being pretty convenient, but saying it's expensive and that there isn't much there is just ignorant.