Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like Osaka but I didn't notice any real difference in the food. If it's your first visit to Japan and you only have ten days I'd stick to just Tokyo and Kyoto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I ordered Japanese food and they gave me a fish ? ? ?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

caberham posted:

Man I wish I grew up in Ohio. I could just be a happy man seeing some cornfields and hills

I have no idea where someone could grow up in Ohio and be excited by automatic doors. :psyduck:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's okay they'll fax you the address of a BBS you can email from your flip phone to find the high tech.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Great Autismo! posted:

i mean like if you grew up in ohio and didn't grow up in columbus or the burbs of cleveland or cinci, pretty much anything that isn't utter trash should be rather exciting imo

I'm from Dayton and haven't lived anywhere rural so most of the things people seem to believe about Ohio have no relationship at all to anything I ever experienced.

Except Skyline Chili. :fap:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

are u a buckeye fan

It's peanut butter with chocolate on it so yeah they're p good.

ohio is literally the third worst state in the united states

Worse states: New Jersey, Delaware, both Carolinas, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, both Dakotas, Texas, Michigan, Indiana, West Virginia, Arizona, Alaska, Hawaii (last three get a tourism exemption, I mean to live in), Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Wow drat. Florida is so bad I forgot it even exists. You're right.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

this is just an embarrassing post

no it's accurate because when including Florida, it puts Ohio right in the center which is where it should be. Incapable of being either bad or good. It simply exists.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't know any major corporations that have boycotted Ohio for being so bigoted they're embarrassed to be associated with it.

You also picked the worst example because a whole branch of my family left NC to move to Ohio so that conversation has, indeed, happened among people I know personally.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The boy, unfortunately, is unable to keep his laptop because he is slightly brown and ended up in one of Joe Arpaio's desert prison camps.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They later attempted to resell the laptop but it exploded because it's 150 degrees outside.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have not been to Hawaii but literally everyone I have ever met who lived there says it's horrible. Nice to visit but awful to live in. Expensive as hell, lots of crime, super racist if you're not native Hawaiian, etc. I've actually never heard more consistent hatred of any state, even places like Mississippi I've met defenders of.

Also apparently there's a Hawaiian separatist movement which, lol.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

honolulu was ranked the second safest city in the entire united states last year so idk about the lots of crime

Looks like the crime rate has dropped a lot in the past decade, that's good. Property crime is still higher than national average. Honolulu also is not the entirety of Hawaii fyi.

Stringent posted:

Where in NC? Except for the Triangle, Asheville and Wilmington NC is pretty terrible.

Who even knows. I don't remember a name so probably podunk nowhere.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I thought we were going to have fun with the whole list but anyway

New Jersey, glad it exists for comedy but come on. Four months living there was enough.
Delaware, lol.
South Carolina/Alabama/Mississippi/Arkansas/West Virginia/Idaho/Oklahoma I don't think I actually need to justify any of these.
Iowa is what happens when you take the boring parts of other states and then make an entire state out of them.
Kansas is what you do with the parts too boring for Iowa.
The Dakotas are what you do with the parts too boring for Kansas.
Michigan is Ohio but with a worse winter, and I say that as someone who loves winter.
Indiana is the only state where the KKK is actively expanding.
Alaska is a cold trailer park.
Kentucky has bourbon which is good because you need a lot of bourbon to deal with Kentucky.
Missouri is all the worst parts of Ohio mixed with worst parts of the south.
Texas is Texas.

Ohio is simply a void without meaning. Saying it's bad or good means having strong feelings about Ohio, which is impossible.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

as stringent just said a bit ago, "ohio is texas except cold and no mexican food".

Ohio is not particularly cold and my neighborhood which was all Arab and Asian when I was a kid is now almost entirely Mexican so I don't know what this means.

I think the problem is personal badness because you're giving Cleveland the best city in Ohio award when Cleveland's greatest accomplishment was its river catching on fire so often that we got the Clean Water Act and EPA. Everyone in Ohio knows the hierarchy is Cincinnati/Columbus (regional dispute) > Dayton > Cleveland > Toledo and nobody remembers Akron exists.

We're also talking about living, here. You're posting tourist stuff which is a different topic. If we're making a tourism list the order is going to be different and Ohio goes down the list a ways.

(also Ohio has beaches, they're actually p nice now that you don't get AIDS by touching Lake Erie)

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 29, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jim Lovell is a jerk for dunking on the rest of us so hard. I have no doubt the first mission to Mars will have someone from Ohio to set the new record of getting as far away as possible.

Ohio invented airplanes so we could leave faster.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I say you're talking about tourism because you keep talking about places to visit and things to see. Visiting places = tourism and is a whole different set of criteria than living in a place.

Worse tourism states than Ohio: Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Iowa, Alabama, Mississippi, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Delaware. The whole bottom ten is basically just "nothing to see here" but Ohio has a lot of good food in the cities, the USAF Museum, good American Indian archaeological sites, and a lot of very pretty forests in the southeast so that's something, anyway.

Toledo exists though which is a big negative.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

of course I'm talking about places to visit and things to see inside the state, I'm not judging ohio based on your basement or your living room

i mean if you have a cool basement and a great STEAM set up on your desktop and a fridge full of beer, of course that is cool. but that is not ohio. that is your basement.

are you making a facepalm ranger argument ironically or what

No I'm saying tourism and living somewhere are different things. I am not talking about the furniture inside my house. For example, the cost of living in an area does not matter to me at all when choosing a place to visit but would, in fact, matter if I were living there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

if you want to make an argument about cost of living, you shouldn't be in USA, you should be in china

oh wait we are :hfive:

dat's true :hfive:

I do miss diversity though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

by diversity in ohio do you mean the diversity in overweight, fat and obese?

im sorry i've really let ohio have it today, raising my beer to you

I mean the people from all over the world. I grew up with Arab and Chinese friends and didn't actually know any white kids until I started school. Going down to the Asian grocery store (which randomly had two Mexican aisles among all the Chinese stuff) was a normal thing, as was begging for snacks at the Lebanese restaurant on the corner. Our new neighbors when I was back are Turkish-Russian and their kids all are native fluent in four languages. The closest church was Korean and my extended Ohio family has at least a dozen nationalities in it. The Syrian cousins rolling into town was always a good time.

I went to an extremely white rich kid university and it was quite the shock.

E: A magical place in Ohio. http://www.junglejims.com/

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm mostly bored and trying to avoid finishing this work I need to do, so if I don't seriouspost I have nothing to say and then I have to do things that are important.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Came here thinking i'd see 60 new posts about milk bars and instead here I am reading about Ohio gently caress you thread

Our work here is complete, gentlemen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

:allears:

If you're still referring to an Ohio school, then we may very well have gone to the same university.

Also, Jungle Jim's is extremely the poo poo and one of the few redeeming factors about living in Ohio.

Entirely possible. When I graduated they had gotten from 97 to 94% white and were very proud of their new diversity.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Japan thread has been an integral part of the China thread for 5,000 years, please do not interfere in our domestic affairs

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If the internet is correct that milk bar is a place that sells ice cream/shakes and stuff then yes, there's a chain called UDF that sounds like the same thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

the biggest joke of it all is that i was working so i got paid to sit around and make my arguments and then spent another 45 minutes with a coworker creating a hierarchy of states in the united states

I was also being paid to shitpost, but I was sitting at home on paid vacation.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What are the cheapest ways to get between cities in Glorious Nippon?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Overnight bus.

I can't sleep on a bus so what's the next option up from that? Non-shinkansen trains?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The route I'm looking at right now is Fukuoka -> Hiroshima -> Nara maybe? ? Himeji? -> Kyoto -> Tokyo so shinkansens would be like balls expensive. And that'd be spread over a few weeks, the three week JR pass price is insane so none of that. It looks like there's some kind of cheaper local variant though? I'm really confused.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Phone posted:

I just saw something trying to find a computer equivalent of Hyperdia called Seishun 18; however, gently caress sitting on a train or bus for 9 hours for the Kyoto to Tokyo leg.

You should post up your full itinerary and go from there. I seriously doubt you're flying into Fukuoka and leaving via Narita/Haneda.

I haven't decided on an itinerary, I'm just feeling out my options. I'm actually flying into Seoul and leaving from Tokyo if I do this trip. Fukuoka/Tokyo are set and I know I want to go to Kyoto since I only did like a half day there before.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Phone posted:

How are you getting from Seoul to Japan? I know that there are the aquafoils.

Boat from Busan, after I've crossed Korea.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If there's anywhere in the general area that's naturey/snowy in February that would also be cool, I haven't really seen anything of rural Japan and we have no snow in my part of China.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

ALFbrot posted:

If you are planning a trip to Japan and cannot afford to take shinkansen, I submit that you cannot afford a trip to Japan

I've been to Japan, it's not that expensive. The shinkansen is absurdly priced, I'm not paying more to travel a third of the way across Japan than it costs for me to fly to Japan and back.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 2, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

zmcnulty posted:

The fact that days must be consecutive is actually a pretty valid criticism of the JR Rail Pass. I'm surprised they haven't introduced a version that lets you do non-consecutive days, like the Eurail pass does.

Yeah it's really dumb. I guess they expect you to just ride trains around constantly? Or maybe they didn't realize people from other countries sometimes have vacations that last longer than a week.

I also don't want to take the shinkansen because gradually wandering across to Tokyo is a goal in itself. I've already done multiple Japan trips of hanging around in a big city so something different sounds fun this time. I was also thinking about going from Korea to Sapporo and then down to Tokyo that way, but I do want to properly see Kyoto.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 3, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I like Tokyo but I've already done a stay in Tokyo the whole time trip.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hostel bookings don't seem to have that three month limitation and a lot of them have private rooms, if you're having trouble finding anything.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Is there an app for bus route searching in English? If not what's the best Japanese one? I can see if I can puzzle it out.

E: For Android. Also can't be Google Play exclusive because lol China.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oh cool, Google maps works once I get outside Glorious Chinar so that should do me. I just figured it would suck rear end in Japan like it does all over Asia.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Tokyo's probably where I'd use it the most. Kyoto is the only other possibility, the other places I'm going are pretty small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I just tried to look at the IC card compatibility chart and my brain exploded so, is there a card I can pick up in Osaka that works in Kyoto and Tokyo as well? Does it work on all subways/local trains/buses? I've only heard of Suica but that looks to be Kanto only and I'm not getting to Tokyo until the end of the trip.