Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalel
Jun 19, 2012

quote:

F This Movie! is a weekly movie podcast and near-daily movie blog that began in 2010 when it became clear that there wasn't enough talk about movies on the internet.

That's pretty much the long and short of it. Patrick Bromley--random jerk, movie lover, and member of the Chicago Film Critic's Association--hosts a regular podcast where he discusses a wide range of movies, from crime noir to modern superhero blockbusters to classic sci-fi to indie darlings, but especially monster movies and horror films. He is joined by a rotating cast of friends and fellow film-lovers, each of them with more-or-less a specialization in the types of films they enjoy. The site also features regular old text reviews by the FTM crew, and a couple of random odd videos that I haven't bothered to watch because I can't stand their ugly, greasy faces.

maybe I'll do bios laterif I feel like it

• The show is semi-formal. Not specifically centered on comedy, but certainly not professional or overly analytical. Just a bunch of dudes who like movies with more than a layman's understanding of the craft of cinema and filmmaking
  • They keep the "inside joke" factor to a minimum, so they're accessible at really any point you decide to listen. In fact they often end up summarizing prior conversations or talking points so you never feel like you're missing out on some bit of context
  • They watch a poo poo ton of classic monster movies and horror movies, if you're into that sort of thing
  • Most of the guest hosts are funny and have interesting viewpoints or anecdotes; few of them could be considered annoying (actually it's just one guy, his name is Doug. (Just kidding (not really)))
  • They don't pander, and they don't advertise within podcasts
  • You'll get used to the opening theme. Trust me.
  • The fan base is not insufferable (it's true!). The comments are nice and insightful and a bunch of other adjectives

For interested newcomers, the best way to start listening is to find a movie you like/dislike in the "Movies A-Z" tab and listen to the podcast or read the review. If you're a completionist like me, you can start from the very beginning and listen to all of the podcasts (well I skipped a few but w/e). I'm tempted to advise you avoid the 2010 and early 2011 podcasts, since they've grown a lot since then, but they might be worth a listen after you've familiarized yourself with the show.

They have a somewhat loose policy on spoilers, so you probably want to hold off on listening to a podcast about a specific movie unless you have a) already seen the movie b) no interest in seeing the movie. Usually their podcasts that don't focus on one specific movie are spoiler-free.

Important Note: As Heteroy mentions below, the title may be misleading. This is not a bad movie podcast, nor do they poo poo on popular films (not all the time anyway).

kalel fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heteroy
Mar 13, 2004

:fork::fork::fork:
Yam Slacker
I've been listening to the podcast for a few years.

The name of the podcast is probably misleading at a glance. I think it was said in an episode that it chosen for the website on a whim, and it's a bit late in the game to change names now.

This is not a "bad movie" podcast a la WHM or The Flophouse. The show usually follows the format of spending about the first third talking about what they've seen lately and the rest is spent talking about the topic, ordinarily a specific movie. (sometimes something recent, but often from the 80's or 90's)

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

One of the things I love about Fthismovie is how kind and welcoming of a community it is. It's really refreshing to have a podcast that subscribes to the belief that opinions are subjective and you're not wrong or stupid for liking or disliking a certain movie.

• Locked thread