Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

The Doobie thread is my favorite thread on the entire forums. I went back and read most of it during the Christmas holiday and it's just spectacular. I mean that, seriously. Read the whole thing if you haven't, it's hilarious.

edit: I even made some chili dogs to celebrate. I bought the cheapest hot dogs, chili, and buns I could find and toasted Doobie with every mediocre bite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

If you remove the 1 star reviews, which are all by people who haven't been to the restaurant but hate Doobie because he is a homophobic racist, the restaurant's rating on facebook is 4.8 stars! The Doobster must cook a mean hot dog!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Frank Sinatra says doobie doobie do, and we’re going to say do — the right thing

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

There were such high hopes for the frog dog. Poor frog dog. :smith:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I was 40 miles from Reform, AL in summer of 2014 while driving to New Orleans but I don't think I knew about Doobie then. :(

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Cosmic Owl posted:

100% Alabama

Purchasing the 99 cent Good Value brand hot dogs from the local Wal-Mart counts as 100% Alabama, right?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

GrimGypsy posted:

does anyone have a link to the last and/or best doober thread?

Of course I do, it's my fav

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571910

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

wayne curr posted:

Every time one of these threads pop up and remind me Doobie exists, I jump onto google earth and check if there's been new streetview images taken of the green shack.
Then I spend half an hour looking around Reform.
That place is :smith: as fuuuck. Everything's so sad and tired looking and washed out.

According to wikipedia, 30% of the population are below the poverty line.

I like these people, they're like whoa, is that the loving google car in Reform, Alabama?!

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.373...!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

"I don't except their life style"

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

No joke, a restaurant in Iowa approached Northern Iowa basketball coach Ben Jacobson about having a Jacobson burger, which would be a burger with all of the coach's favorite toppings. He told them he just wanted a plain hamburger. No cheese, no ketchup, nothing. So there is no Jacobson burger.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Doobie is probably one of the biggest success stories in Reform, AL.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Haha, goddamn, who made that?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

WhyFoxy posted:

Did soundmonkey ever explain why he started a campaign to help doobie? Of all the charity to choose from, why did he pick this guy?

Didn't it happen organically in some thread where people were making fun of stupid kickstarters and then people started to say hey, why not actually support this silly dude, and then soundmonkey started the main thread from there?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Lord Binky posted:

yeah and now stupid weirdos have been posting about it for years

I hope to one day be one of those stupid weirdos!

edit: I only don't qualify now because of the "years" part

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

MrWillsauce posted:

2 people liked that he stopped trying to serve them breakfast

It was probably olds, they hit the like button for everything.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

All those people getting mad about someone reporting a yelp review was pretty funny imo. Like, I don't care either way, but the fact that people cared enough to reply and call the person dumb is very amusing.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Special Alabama edition:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I saw a guy in Las Vegas this week that looked exactly like Doobie and he was wearing an Alabama hat. I'm pretty sure most people in Alabama look like Doobie though, so probably just a coincidence.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Priced to go. He needs to get them gone.

Why doesn't he just make his family omelets for breakfast for a few days? Or is he that desperate for $4?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I wasn't here for the beginning but I am drat proud to be here for the end.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

quote:

I've been thinking about this from his perspective and it's loving incredible.

Here he is, a man with a dream. Owning and operating his own business. Showing his 3 sons what it's like to provide for your family and letting them know that if you work hard enough you too can make your own way. He did his research, took his time, got everything figured out and decided that where he's at the best thing to do would be a Hot Dog stand. But where he's at you can't really do a traditional stand, so he needed a proper kitchen and space and steam trays and...

Six thousand dollars. $6000 that he didn't have. $6000 that he can't scrape together because he's barely getting by with the money he's got.

Then he hears about this Kickstarter website, where people help dreams come true. So he gets it all set up and the woman he loves more than anything takes $60 out of her own check, money that could have gone to a new pair of pants for one of the boys or maybe to the electric bill that's a month past due. Money that could've, no SHOULD'VE been spent on the household to just get by. And she gave it to the man she loves most in the world to tell him that his dreams matter, and she believed in him.

With 1% funded and 30 days to go, he waited. Checked it every morning, noon, and night.

"Maybe it takes a few days" he probably thought at first.

A few days pass, with no change.

"No one knows, I have to spread the word!" So he goes to facebook and twitter, and starts trying to get the word out. Sure he's just one man, but he has a humble goal that's actually well thought out. If you build it, they will come.

21 days into his 30 day campaign: $60 of $6000 funded. No one noticed, no one cared, but he still held out hope. Maybe in the back of his mind he was trying desperately to figure out what he was going to do. Kickstarter was probably a hail mary. The bank had probably already said no. There's no real steady work around town, and that electric bill comes in a red envelope now.

Then a message in his inbox: "I'm from the internet, you can call us team frogout....."

in 48 hours he's overfunded.

Miracles Happen.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Boinks posted:

Lol all he has to do is sue his landlord for the funds to move/whatever he spent fixing up the place. What a dumbass.

Doobie is a very passive person, it was probably a frogger who called him and said he could no longer have the building so now Doobie is packing up and the building will sit empty while he drives by every day and wonders when the parking lot will be put in.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

I think the funeral home did the right thing, they knew nobody wanted to be caught dead around the vicinity of Doobie's.

I didn't know my dad posted on the forums, hi dad!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Did doobie, at any point during this whole enterprise, even experiment with lowering his outrageous prices?

Prepackaged frozen food from Wal Mart is expensive, cut him a break!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

Wait seriously what's the joke in that pic?

The original is a hipster douchebag in front of an apple store after Jobs died, I think.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

It looks like the Family Dollar in Reform is hiring, the Doobster may land on his feet yet.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

fuctifino posted:

"butthurt special snowflake" has 134 hits on google. Nobody uses that term. Many of the results had a comma between butthurt and special snowflake, so weren't even true hits. I hoped Sandi would have used that term before, so I went and had a look at some of the hits, and one looked promising as a comment left on this forum post..

This forum poster Firespawn is quite racist, as a comment further down the page suggests

I was about to dismiss it, but the same person defends Star Citizen A LOT on the same site. Of the 134 recorded instances in the world of people using the term "butthurt special snowflake", is it just a coincidence that this person is also an avid defender of Star Citizen?

I concur.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

FIRST TIME posted:

We're talking about Alabama here, white bread with that kind of food is an actual thing there. It really wouldn't be so bad if Doobie baked his own bread or sourced it from an actual bakery or something but instead he buys a bag of $0.99 Walmart white bread and plops it down with reheated frozen Walmart wings and fries and calls it a day.

poo poo, even if he bought a cheap bread machine it would do most of the work for him but it would give people a reason to go to Doobies instead of just going to the grocery store and taking the 20 minutes to make it themselves.

Why are you being such a bad frogger! Doobie knows what he's doing! Other than the going out of business part, which clearly wasn't his fault.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I would have liked to see Gordon Ramsay visit the Doobie Diner and throw all of his prepackaged poo poo on the floor and make Doobie clean it up while he cries. :ramsay:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Doobie's special pinto beans

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

FrankieGoes posted:

loving Doobie. I paid him 50,000 dollars to be the first Dog House franchise and now he closes the original? I'm ruined. I might as well have spent all that loving money on star citizen jpegs.

Do you have any leftover eggs I can buy?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I just bought a soccer jersey from aliexpress.com and it went great! You have opened a whole new world to me, my friend.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Can someone tell me what the hell is going on? I haven't read the thread and OP isn't updating OP

Donald Trump has announced Doobie as his vice president

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Maybe the landlord is just trying to joke with Doobie that his hot dog business is dying and Doobie is just too stupid to get it. And since Doobie gave up immediately the landlord was like uhhh, and is now trying to get $58K because Doobie has proven he is dumb.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

So Doobie had $100K in sales a year? Good for Doobie! I wonder how much he was able to keep, like 2%? Poor Doobie.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Last Buffalo posted:

But see, he was closed like 5 days a week, so that cuts into the pie a bit.

Also, he's making up those numbers.

Doobie wouldn't lie, he is a good Christian man.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I wish doobie would periscope the last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Someone make a kickstarter for the Doobie videogame, I would contribute.

• Locked thread