Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ellspurs posted:

We must also recognise 2015 Champ Car World Series Champion Ricardo Zonta.

it tickles me to no end that he has invented a fake racing series in which he occasionally does not win. and also that he has never let his wife win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

You're assuming that, in the long line of fantasies that exists in the head of Mark Plourde, the fact that he is married is more real than the fact that he is a five-time CCWS champion.

you just blew my mind

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

Now I imagine some dumb craigslist ad long ago asking a chick to take a picture in an old ccws firesuit.

"cannot be unrealistically attractive"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

if i won the powerball, i would be all like 'nicenice' and invest it conservatively and not in racing

that's what i'd do with the money leftover after tom crean's buyout

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

-Bring back the PPG Cup

i met the CEO once i can help w/ this

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

-move the sport to NBC and Fox. Have them alternate Indy 500s. Ban all Waltrips from being apart of the Fox coverage.

stream it all. don't go through the networks, make your own indycar service and keep all the money. let a broadcast network simulcast it for pennies just to increase exposure. hire bob varsha. hire someone who sounds like paul page but hasn't lost their god drat mind. resurrect james hunt.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

As somebody planning on watching Indycar for the first time this year coming from F1 is there anything I need to know?

great oval racing is the best thing motor racing has to offer IMO. really bad oval races are like watching the christian horner/ginger spice sex tape we all know exists. the good thing about indycar is that the bad oval races are typically just mediocre.

indycar in 2016 will have more genuinely likable drivers than F1 has had its entire history combined

if you're in indy during the 500, don't speed

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Let the fuckers race and see what happens.

they tend to die

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

is this real cnet or some fake site run by mark plourde

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i think steve kinser went to my high school

devmd01 posted:

Inside 465, not zionsville. I drive by ganassi all the time, its always amusing to see how quickly they get up an updated "2014 champion" sign added or Indy 500 or whatever

yeah they're not in zionsville but they're both right off zionsville rd

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

No racers from my high school but we do have a couple of NBA draft busts in Eric Montross and Greg Oden.

hey my cousin went to lawrence north

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dudley posted:

ARE MAX confirmed in the #8 Ganassi car.

Looks like after Karma they've chosen the guy who always gets to the end of the race.

my god, what an incredible upgrade

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

giving him any amount of money is political suicide in venezuela right now, and his funding from PDVSA was so massive that i doubt he developed relationships with any other backers. so unfortunately that seems very unlikely.

the full-time grid for this season looks seriously really, really strong

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

might this be the time for indycar to limit teams to 2 or 3 drivers? curious considering even ganassi and andretti are struggling for funds, to some extent. i'm not sure how that'd play in the short term, but in the long run i imagine you'd see some sponsorship dollars trickle down to the smaller teams.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

In the proud racing tradition, they straight took Chevy's entire design.

2015 Honda, 2015 Chevy, 2016 Honda.

did they shitcan wirth yet?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

KingShibby posted:

I don't think there's a single person here that doesn't like this livery.

Helio was supposed to receive some award and get lifted up the fence, but it's raining and we all know Helio's hair + rain = no good

i'm not a fan

j/k it's the best

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Cygni, that clown Sasha posted again.

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php/199939-Honda-has-not-signed!-(yes-they-have-now)/page2

isn't it Real Honda, not honda of america, that tends to prefer long-term deals?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

toyota is killing off scion lol

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's also the reality of the fact that they're working from the same basic chassis and they have the exact same overall goal. The boxes they have to play with aren't that big and you just aren't going to get that much visual differentiation.

I'd argue that, at least when compared to the pre-aero and early-aero days, even F1 cars all look substantially the same. The reason everything looked all crazy as poo poo back then is nobody really knew what they were doing.

last year someone took all the F1 cars and rendered them in all-black livery. it was exceedingly difficult to tell them apart.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

street courses are so, so, so much more profitable, and they tend to draw better crowds because people are just like "oh hey lets wander down and watch this race"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

tossed a few hundred grand at him.

a man can dream

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

NASCAR road course racing is among the best racing in the world tbh

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

harperdc posted:

Where in The Netherlands? Brands Hatch are you loving kidding, no chance in a modern F1 car, too short even with the long loop (there's only two FIA grade 1 circuits under 4 km, bet you can't guess what they are!). Portugal? Not enough cash.

monaco and uh the indy road course? how short is suzuka, it seems short-ish

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Pvt. Public posted:

Go to Shapiro's, Heidelberg Haus, and Hellas Cafe for food. Go to Fountain Square Brewing and Flat 12 Brewing for beer. If you dig cider and/or mead, go to New Day. Go to Atomic or Action for duckpin bowling.

sun king and brugge are other good beer places. also think upland has a location in indy.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Downtown: I mean, compared to the rest of Indianapolis...

yeah that's an important note. indy's downtown (the actual part of that is a downtown, which is small) is very nice and new, but it's mostly "great" in comparison to the rest of the city, which you probably wouldn't recognize as a city were it not called one. my brother is fond of calling it a "wide suburb" and i think that's pretty accurate.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

F1 is so much better at being corrupt than american motorsport. truly is the pinnacle

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

anotherblownsave posted:

Nice thanks for all the info! I imagine it'll hot as hell too.

also, yes, 100%, i've been to many races at IMS and it's always guaranteed to be loving ungodly hot. bring a lot of sunscreen unless you're lucky and your seats are covered.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

indycar needs to run CoTA or montreal or something, i'd love to get a real comparison vs F1. ideally montreal since that's not really a downforce track and F1 cars are for sure generating way more downforce than indycars.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

The aerokits have bumped IndyCars over F1 in total downforce. AR1 heard that Honda's max numbers were something like 7000lbs@200mph in RC setup, which is partially what lead to the series mandating reinforced front wing mounting parts from Dallara.

But IndyCars are obviously heavier. But they also have bigger tire contact patches. But a smaller contact/weight ratio. And they generally run harder tire compounds than F1. But Firestone's tire compounds themselves are probably better. But the Dallara suspension setups are probably less advanced as they are spec/purposefully overbuilt some teams have to replace parts less.

Basically what I'm saying is P1 cars probably win in all of these categories anyway.

WEC shares several tracks with F1 and they're generally at least a couple seconds slower. i had no idea about the rest of that though.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

there are too many tracks in the US indycar isn't visiting for them to consider europe

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i do wonder how much indycar could conceivably make from taking streaming rights back from NBC and charging for their own service

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

chilton struggling to get used to indycar in the most adorable way possible

quote:

"It's quite eerie how welcoming everyone is," Chilton said.

"I understand why the teams are welcoming, but the drivers, I'm not used to that.

"The drivers get along; there might be a couple you have as sort of mates.

"Everyone in IndyCar, even with Indy Lights, the whole sort of Road to Indy process is so welcoming.

"All the drivers seem to be best mates and they don't seem to have other friends.

"Their best friends are I guess their rivals on the track.

"That's sort of taken me a while to get my head around."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122847

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bentai posted:

Only part of that design I don't like is the center pillar.

it's more necessary when you see the original, non-windscreen design, though i'm not sure there's any plastic they could use that would replicate the support of a carbon fiber column.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

Problem with that hoop bar thing is I dont know if it would have helped in Jwills case. Also I dont know why they went with a center bar instead of side pillar design, unless they are that worried about the mirror positions and dont want to move them or something? I dunno.

I obvi didn't read the article cause the only way i can even remotely enjoy F1 is by pretending its awful loving media and fans dont exist.

if the pillar is off to one side then it could hide the apex of the corner

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

if my buddy and I could street drive a tunnel rammed Vega, these guys can handle a pillar in the way

their only concern with the halo is that it will block them from looking up through eau rouge and turn 1 in austin

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

well the halo is inherently temporary. i don't think they feel comfortable implementing a fully enclosed canopy for 2017.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

Helio's 500 car looks perty dope.

i'm excited to see the worst indycar livery this year because it will probably be better than the best F1 has to offer

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

njsykora posted:

I am fond of yellow cars and that is very yellow.

People talk poo poo about Red Bull but at least their car isn't black and silver like most cars on that grid.

i like the new red bull but it is only good in the context of F1 and in the context of their history of shockingly boring cars

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

at the end of the day all of these series feature race cars going vroooooom and that's all that really matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i'm trying to think of places where indycar could turn a profit and fans would show up to see a pointless race and my brain is stuck at "third world shithole"

• Locked thread