Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Shall we start with predictions? I predict Road America will be the best race and that Sage Karam won't have a consistent career in IndyCar again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

As somebody planning on watching Indycar for the first time this year coming from F1 is there anything I need to know?

If you thought live attendance was down in F1, then we have a surprise for you!

But seriously, it's much, much more on track action and is driver focused. The aerokits added a small bit of tech showdown, as did the engines, but it was still all about driving your rear end off. Don't knock ovals until you've watched them. I was strictly into road racing before I really got into IndyCar, but the ovals are great, nothing like the NASCAR pack racing.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
So Hulman is bringing Repucom on board to consult with the series. Apparently they breakdown what people are watching and translate this for their client. Isn't this kinda what BCG should already be doing?

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Cue the dipshit purists thinking the sky is falling.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Jamie Moyer, former pitcher for the Phillies, went to my high school.

Yup.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
So did anyone else not get the Indy 500 commercial during the Super Bowl? Nothing here in Philadelphia.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

At least people will actually hear about the Indy 500 this way.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

harperdc posted:

Where in The Netherlands?

There's talk of bringing Zandvoort to grade 1 spec, but a lot of the really fun parts of that circuit are now housing developments.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Rain forecasted in St. Pete this weekend, could make things interesting.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Has ABC always covered St. Pete? Could have sworn it was NBC in years past.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
That was underwhelming, but I think this will be a good season.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Marco should just hang it up. IIRC his Formula E outings were also somewhat lovely.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

Will have to find it from my bud on twitter who has the stats on it.

Wisconsin, Indiana, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and New England all had stock car scenes. Guys like Bodine, Kulwicki and Richmond predate guys like Jeff Gordon in terms of coming into the sport.

Daytona, Talladega, World 600 and Darlington were big events for not just stock car fans, but racing fans alike. Lot of the USAC (now Indy) talent would show up at Daytona and Talladega for example.

ESPN, Turner Sports, CBS and ABC also really helped them reach a national audience. Said national audience became loyal, reliable fans that would tune in on a weekly basis.

It's not just an "oval" thing, it's more so how NASCAR and it's partners were infinitely more better at promoting the sport from a week to week basis versus CART/USAC/IRL.

Can't speak for the others but Pennsylvania is a stronghold for sprint cars. Pocono was designed with Indycar's in mind and Langhorne was a classic USAC track. Not saying stock cars aren't popular here, but open wheel has firm roots.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

Langhorne, Reading and Nazareth are all old modified tracks that hosted NASCAR events.

Shame on me for forgetting Nazareth.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I believe those were called speedway wheels.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Hope these first two races arent setting a precedent for the season. I am legitimately impressed with Chilton.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

be nice wicka posted:

the only good thing about the PLCB is that they would 100% special order this for me

Didn't know you were a PA resident, wicka. I don't really drink vodka but I'd definitely buy this just for that bottle.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Daly is disappointing. I like his personality.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Our Graham might make this race worthwhile.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
First half was pretty forgettable, but that 2nd half was solid. Decent race.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Human Grand Prix posted:

You are typically not supposed to run into the back of other cars.

This is IndyCar we're talking about here.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Conor is upset:

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

so leave wicka alone and talk to me

I started collecting some diecasts finally, picked up a set of old and new mods one of my favorite drivers raced in 1/25th, but I'm not a scale slob. Since I paid a bit for the two I got due to them being small runs, I'm probably in the mid tier of collectors, so what do you guys think of me having an Indy collection in 1/18th, starting with this?

http://www.replicarz.com/1973-STP-Eagle-Indy-500-Swede-Savage/productinfo/R184712/

Anyone have experience with this brand? They look nice as hell, and that might be my favorite Indycar of all time.

The Replicarz line is supposed to be pretty drat good. Miles above the Greenlight stuff.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

be nice wicka posted:

omg there are tiny scale rivets on this thing, that's amazing

You should see what people build in the scale modeling community. Go to https://www.f1m.com and browse any of the work in progress threads. Insane stuff.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Uncle Jam posted:

600EUR!

I've been getting back some metal 3D printed parts with insane detail lately, and crazy cheap compared to typical CNC.
This poo poo is so on notice. Once somebody who can do CAD for a drat and puts it through the 3D printing services is going to clean up on the modeling scene.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/RP9VZ8KFJ/scale-engine-replica-for-tamiya-sand-scorcher-and?li=marketplace&optionId=3133637

Quite a few have tried, but it's not cost effective yet. Definitely soon though.

And yeah, those super kits are expensive but they can easily take a year or two to complete. Keep in mind it's in 1/12 scale, twice the size of a typical model car kit.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Run a double header at Pocono, with one race being on the road course configuration*

*this would benefit me and, like, two other people

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Confirmed, I definitely don't care. I never cared for him at all and I imagine I'm not alone.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Would it be any different than the current aero kit debacle? Any variation of the spec formula will inevitably result in Builder X having the edge over Builder Y. As long as costs are kept down, I think it would be fine, but as motorsports continuously shows, that's largely a pipe dream.

A big issue is that, as others have pointed out, motorsports are now inherently extremely expensive, and haven't "scaled" cost wise as the years went on, per se. AJ Watson built his cars more or less out of his garage, Roger Rager built up an engine from a school bus. Now Dallara has millions invested and a dedicated facility, and the engines are sealed up and come with a six figure price tag. Just the way it is now.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
That may have been true, but would we see the same amount of money invested if we adjusted for inflation? You said a while ago that even sprint car drivers these days are pretty well off generally, was that the case way back when?

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
That's a good point, there's a whole lot more "stuff" now.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
My buddy's dad was a relatively well known late model driver in the 70's that made his own cars. Dude was a mechanic, and on the lower end of being middle class. Times have changed.

And yeah the F1 haulers are absurd. Get rid of those, the in house chefs, masseuses, whatever the gently caress else.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Going back to Fuzzy's original concern, I just don't think Bump Day will ever really be a thing again. You just can't lay down millions on a one time thing, and you definitely can't lay it down on a maybe. Retool the regs and find a way to keep the costs down and maybe the 33 will just come naturally.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Maybe they can do something like they do in Pro Stock dragsters. Send them a factory engine with raw blocks and heads, teams do the rest.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I'd probably skip Pocono if the series went to the Glen. Also makes me wonder how many people would do the same.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

They are 8 hours away from each other.

e- more like 6 now that I think about it, but the point stands

Huh? It's 2 hours to Pocono from Philly, 4 hours to the Glen.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

KingShibby posted:

I wonder if Pocono and the Glen were 1 week apart how many people would attend both? Maybe do some sort of shared promotion between the two tracks and a discount deal if you buy tickets to both events. I'd make the trip from Grand Rapids out there twice, maybe even rent a RV for both weekends

I imagine a few folks from central PA would/could do both. The difference in distance between going to Pocono and going to the Glen isn't that much if you're coming from Harrisburg.

Edit: actually it's an extra hour to Watkins Glen. Not a deal breaker for me, but possibly to others.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I am @keyboard_goop and I post utter trash

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
So there's no mayo sponsored car after all? Way to alienate the primarily Midwestern fan base.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I'm not crying, you're crying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I'm pretty sure Sage's tenure in IndyCar is done.

• Locked thread