Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Pics took far more :effort: than this post did

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Dec 29, 2016

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

ellspurs posted:

We must also recognise 2015 Champ Car World Series Champion Ricardo Zonta.

Also forgotten is the fact that Justin Wilson finished 3rd in the Champ Car Championship :rip:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

I know I talk about my pops too much, but he just posted somethin cool on facebook:

Heres another shot of the car, the yeller one:

Perty dope.

That's awesome, I wish I had the money to buy this Indy car. But it's pretty obvious that Andretti is in financial trouble if they have to auction off race cars to supplement the budget...

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

gret posted:

I'd probably start a career as a gentleman driver in sports cars. That or just get a bitching iRacing setup.

You would literally be the embodiment of Rich GT Gentleman Goon Drivers everywhere, and also on TV.

I'd just take the money and subsidize teams to increase the number of teams/entrants. Also I'd cap teams at 2 cars like in F1. I'd also pay for 100% of MRTI's operating budget

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

You also never need to worry about tires blowing up because Firestone figured out a tire that gets slow long before it gets dangerous. Tracks like Iowa, you might take tires on any yellow even if you don't need fuel at all. Other tracks, the tires might be fine but it takes less time to change them than it does to refuel anyway, so you take a fresh set.

Iowa is the oval I'm most looking forward to attending (besides Indy). Without Fontana, Iowa will be the closest we'll get to pack racing and is always a hell of a race.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I think it's much more in the way of lengthening the races so they can show more commercials rather than manufacturing drama.

This was my initial thought so that they can pretty much guarantee no more commercials while under green. However the idea of a Caution Clock had me :laffo: at my desk very loudly. Good thing like no one is here but me :byodood:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
The Fisher-Hartman news makes me really sad, it'll make Media Day next Tuesday a little more somber.

But speaking of Media Day, I got the press conference schedule today and this part was :eyepop:

Pretty sure all I'll be watching during this event is Will's face & reactions as he tries to hold back the tears

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

BMB5150 posted:

Speaking of aero mods, wonder if Aleshin was allowed to post this and hope that is a roll hoop I see and not an airbox with the lack of rear bodywork on it.

lol this is gonna make for an awkward HPD press conference at 11am...

Bentai posted:

Who all is going to Phoenix? I need to get the race squared away this weekend.

I'll be there

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Just completed the first press conference of the day with Conor Daly, Spencer Pigot, Max Chilton, and Mikhail Aleshin

Gotta love Conor showing up in a firesuit

EDIT: They're streaming Media Day all day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkT2DW3QETY

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 2, 2016

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
HPD Press Conference to begin any minute, watch the livestream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkT2DW3QETY

These guys just finished talking:

EDIT: Honda announcement was just that they signed a multiyear contract extension which was already known. The deal is for 2 seasons (2016 & 2017) and also allows Honda to extend for another 3 seasons after 2017. No news about the aero kit

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 2, 2016

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
So IMS President Doug Boles just gave an update on Project 100.

This is the view from the 4th floor of the Media Center:

Key Points

• The roof structure over the Paddock Penthouse levels is being replaced with a new one that's 17ft taller and now extends far enough to cover all Paddock Penthouse seats
  • The top 3 rows in each Paddock Penthouse level are being removed and replaced by 3 new rows on the upper structure that's being built
  • They were able to add 1 seat per row in the entire Paddock Penthouse, effectively adding about 1,000 new seats to the Speedway which have already been sold
  • The entire catch fence all around the track has been replaced. The new fence has a smaller mesh surface, but is also easier to see through
  • 7 new elevators have been built on the outside of the track along Georgetown Blvd. These elevators compliment new ADA seating areas on the Paddock Penthouse level, which was never available before. For the first time ever people in wheelchairs can watch the race from the Paddock Penthouse level

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

bennyfactor posted:

Shibby, does it look like they're changing the seating just in the upper deck of Stand A/B or on the ground level as well? I haven't heard anything specific about that on the livestream.

Nothing on the ground level, not sure on Stand A/B, I'll get back to you.

New Dixon livery:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
From the front:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

Hell yes, the yellow lightning bolt is back. People been wanting that forever.

I don't think there's a single person here that doesn't like this livery.

Helio was supposed to receive some award and get lifted up the fence, but it's raining and we all know Helio's hair + rain = no good

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

bennyfactor posted:

Shibby, does it look like they're changing the seating just in the upper deck of Stand A/B or on the ground level as well? I haven't heard anything specific about that on the livestream.

I asked Doug Boles and he said that A/B Stand is getting a new roof.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
So a little while ago Helio was presented with this:

It's part of the section of old catch fence that Helio has climbed 3 times after each of his Indy 500 wins. This was both completely unexpected and awesome.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Not sure if it's been reported by the media yet, but Mark Miles just announced that the DW12 will be getting flaps similar to what NASCAR has on the roof of the car when it's going backwards. These flaps will serve the same purpose as they do in NASCAR, and are estimated to add about 500lbs of downforce to a car that's moving backwards. The flaps will engage around 15-20mph backwards and have been windtunnel tested at 230mph.

EDIT: I was just given an advance copy of the hardcover version of Will Power's upcoming (auto?)biography. I haven't read an actual book for leisure in many years, but when Will personally asked me to read it and let him know what I thought, I couldn't resist

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 2, 2016

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

CBJSprague24 posted:

Do we need to re-register for Fantasy? I went to do that just now and it took me to last year's group.

Not sure for 2016 but when I find out I'll update the OP. Also the 2nd post is updated with driver/team info

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

go3 posted:

My vote goes to 'Magic 8 Ball'

Forwarded to IndyCar corporate

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I got nothing (4 hours north of Indy) and made it a point to let the Director of PR for IndyCar know that I wasn't happy about it.

Although there was this making the rounds last night

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

The comments about being almost constantly foot flat make me wonder if the series might want to reduce downforce for the event.

I've been told that some lifting is required in Turns 1 & 3, but still 20 second laps are insane and it wouldn't hurt to take away a little downforce.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Chilton's livery is pretty average

Human Grand Prix posted:

I liked the 8's schemes in Long Beach and St Pete a lot last year.

Took these at Long Beach last year:

Cygni posted:

not sure what novo nordisk product they are planning to put on it? color scheme doesnt match any of the other ones they've run. maybe its not approved yet or somethin (like what happened with the "Lilly" sponsorship on Christian Fittipaldi all those years ago)

At Media Day his firesuit didn't mention Novo Nordisk. My guess is that they haven't officially signed on for 2016 (but may before St Pete)

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

Honda ripped off Chevy, Chevy is ripping off Honda, world keeps on spinnin

https://twitter.com/RACERmag/status/697491706380308480

I can't wait for Chevy & Honda to merge their aero kits to literally be the same thing just with different badging. What an incredible FU that would be for IndyCar

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

ayn rand hand job posted:

Indycar Boston update: NIMBYs are still bitching

I guess I better put Boston on my race calendar this year since it's probably gonna be one and done :smith:

NHMS or Watkins Glen would be amazing

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

go3 posted:

Steve Grissom winning the 1996 Busch season opener at Daytona in the WCW car was hilarious

Kyle Petty nWo 4 Lyfe

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

The funniest part of that article is NASCAR Road Course Racing :laffo:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

i enjoyed the defensive posts, but i dont think shibby was making fun of nascar's actual road course races. calm down, nancies

To be fair, the only NASCAR races I can actually watch from Green to Checkered without falling asleep are road course events. I was making fun of the fact that adding road courses is the opposite of what NASCAR is going for. I mean they used to race twice at both Sonoma & the Glen, now it's only once on watered down versions of each track. I'm all for more road course races regardless of what kind of car it is.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

VikingSkull posted:

they've never run twice a year at those tracks

Hmm I could have swore they used to run twice on those tracks but I stand corrected.

FuzzySkinner posted:

IMSA needs to run IMS and Mid Ohio.

The very first year of the TUDOR Series (2014) all four classes ran at IMS since that used to be a Grand-Am Series event. It was a one-and-done event :saddowns:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

Mug-N-Bun: The best garbage-tier food you'll ever have, and the root beer / sweet potato fries are legit awesome.

Agreed 100% but everyone's gotta try the breaded tenderloin, sweet potato fries, and root beer at least once in their lives. Not to mention it's walking distance from IMS (unless you're a :btroll: and/or :corsair:)

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

devmd01 posted:

Finally ordered my tickets for the 500, down low in turn 1 at the start of the short chute. Here's to no airborne incidents, because that debris is coming right at me. :unsmigghh:

They just finished completely replacing the catch fence all around the track so you'll be just fine.

The mesh is finer and it's easier to see through :getin:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

harperdc posted:

If you want to run Brands in a DW12, looks like you'll be able to soon in Project CARS...

Or you could just get iRacing and race that combo right now :smugdog:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

Did Dinger have any legit shot at an open-wheeled ride this year?

I do not recall any reference of Dinger's name at Media Day a couple weeks ago

/me runs to grab my press conference transcripts

No references to Dinger, only Hildebrand

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Semi-crosspost from the Worst Thread, but this popped up on my Twitter feed...

https://twitter.com/GanassiChip/status/700397464742924288
https://twitter.com/motorsport/status/700274591042826240

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

WindyMan posted:

Sounds like BHA will just be a satellite of Andretti, kind of like how Ganassi had four cars split among two distinct teams a while back. But this also makes it seems as if we're looking at one less car on the grid this year.

Not really when you consider that AA had 3 full-time cars and BHA had 1 last year so the number of full-time entries will remain the same. However the chances for part-time rides like Simona and JW are much less likely now

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

kidcoelacanth posted:

That would be one hell of a comeback.

Guaranteed to win the Champ Car World Championship

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

TNO posted:

I'd rather see the seat filled by talent from the MRTI ladder than an F1 washout.

Always this but money trumps talent :saddowns:

EDIT: Today marks 100 days until the 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race! :getin:

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 19, 2016

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
This part of the IndyCar Press Release I just got stood out at me:

quote:

Belardi Auto Racing has added reigning European Formula 3 champion Felix Rosenqvist of Sweden to its driver roster for the 2016 Indy Lights Presented by Cooper Tires season. Rosenqvist, 24, won 13 of 33 F3 races in 2015, plus the Masters of Formula 3 and Macau Grand Prix. He will team with American Zach Veach this season

I love how more and more drivers are leaving the Euro open-wheel ladder for MRTI :getin:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
The three Race Stewards have been formally announced today

• Two-time Indianapolis 500 winner Arie Luyendyk
  • Former Indy car driver Max Papis
  • Chief Steward - Longtime motorsports executive Dan Davis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
How sweet the sound!

https://www.periscope.tv/IndyCar/1lPKqPXnoRWxb

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 26, 2016

• Locked thread