Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

absolutely anything posted:

the line is MASSIVE damage. OH my god *throws arms up in the air*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

ive never used a bow before so im going to learn it

The different shot types for bow all have their own Ideal Range as well as an Ineffective Range. how close you are to ideal range is indicated by the hitflashes, and in MH4U there's a screenshake effect for when you're really hitting from the right spot.

Spread is a close range shot, you mainly want to use it when you're near (but not literally in melee range of) the monster. The fact that the arrows scatter horizontally means close-range is also the best way to get multiple hits with it. Its ideal hits fall off pretty fast outside that distance so if you're much farther than a few rolls away, you'll get basically no hitflash and shouldnt even bother shooting.

Rapid is a mid-range shot, it's the most versatile shot type because every arrow is clustered together in a pretty tight set and will generally strike the same body part all at once, without needing to do anything fancy to guarantee multiple hits.

Pierce is the long-range shot, you basically want to be at a distance where your shot passes through the longest part of the monster as the arrow hits the top of its flight arc, to maximize damage and number of hits. It's probably the most monster-dependent shot type since not all monsters have a long section to them, and arguably the hardest to use. On the bright side, because the shot travels farther as it passes through a monster, it's usually pretty easy to land ideal range hits even if you're standing too close. Personally I thought it was the best shot type in MH3U and P3rd, but unfortunately they totally re-worked the Zinogre bow for 4, so there's not really a great all-round pierce bow that i know of in 4th gen

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
learn bow then use it in mhx because bushido bow can do funny things with bombs

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
tfw when you fight five or six Furious Rajang and finally get a complete head break, and then get the 20% drop instead of the 80% drop you actually need :negative: It's the last thing I need for my Honed Blade set, come on game

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
MH4U is $20 dollars for the next two days. If you're an imp and have any interest in it, please buy it and we will play with you! It's a lot of fun, especially with 4 players.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

thats a steal for the amount of content, and generations will be coming out sometime in the summer.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
MH is cool and good and I got more than my money's worth at full price. Half price is a steal, buy it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i know a few people here have already been playing MHX, sofia was telling me about all kinds of improvements they've made like the gathering being a lot quicker/smoother. can someone rundown what other kinds of general changes they've made? i wanna get hyped

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

i haven't played it yet, but I know there's weapon combat styles for every weapon type. It's apparently way more complex than just "this style is classic, this style has a charge-blade-like ultra strike, this style can jump like the bugstaff" that the trailers show, but those are the general capabilities that the styles enable. They change the basic movesets, too, I think. IIRC there's also some kind of system of equippable abilities to go with that?

it seems like it's gonna be even crazier than usual in terms of building/customizing the character, so its good to hear that they're still improving the less interesting poo poo like gathering

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

there was just a massive monster hunter stream here: http://www.twitch.tv/monsterhunter_eu it's just finishing now but I hope they put it up after this since I missed almost everything. also gaijinhunter did a video on Generations that I've still to watch but it should be good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LAWdwIna2A

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bolverkur posted:

there was just a massive monster hunter stream here: http://www.twitch.tv/monsterhunter_eu it's just finishing now but I hope they put it up after this since I missed almost everything. also gaijinhunter did a video on Generations that I've still to watch but it should be good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LAWdwIna2A

omg you can play as the loving cats with a devil may cry moveset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Man I am sure I am nowhere near through with 4U yet even goddamn

• Locked thread