Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

As seen in the seasonal thread:

Sekkou Boys is a unit of four stone figures — the military saint and group leader Saint Giorgio, history's original celebrity Medici, the strikingly handsome and multi-talented Hermes, and the god of war Mars who is earnest about love — who become idiosyncratic idols. The story depicts their efforts to make it in the entertainment world with their female manager Miki Ishimoto, who just graduated from college.

tl;dr Somehow stone busts become idols.

This is an incredibly stupid premise. Let's see if this manages to be as entertaining as I hope.

who the everloving hell

(historical figure intros lovingly paraphrased from wikipedia)

Saint Giorgio (voiced by Tomokazu Sugita)
Roman army soldier, martyred by Diocletian for not renouncing the Christian faith. Known for that story where he killed a dragon.
Reportedly self-stoic in this incarnation. Or something. Leader of the group.
Third bust in the top image, I think.

Medici (voiced by Shinnosuke Tachibana)
I'm assuming this is Lorenzo de' Medici. Big sponsor of contemporary art, forger of peace of Italian states of his time, properly describable as a Renaissance man.
Innocent handsome boy of the group.
Second bust in the above image. Thanks Fangz for having better eyes than me!

Hermes (voiced by Jun Fukuyama)
Second-youngest Olympian god. Their messenger, a god of transitions and boundaries, linked to Mercury in the Roman version of the Greek pantheon.
Maximum talent and genius.
First bust in the above image. Thanks Fangz for looking more carefully than I did!

Mars (voiced by Daisuke Ono)
Roman god of war. Differs from the linked Greek deity Ares in that Mars' military power was interpreted for peace versus outright destruction. A father of the Roman people.
All about the lovin' in this incarnation.
Fourth bust in the above image. Sweet helmet.

Miki Ishimoto (voiced by Shiho Kokido)
Fresh-out-of-college idol manager. 22 years old, new employee of Holbein Entertainment. Has to deal with the above four. Has sculpture PTSD. Someone please get this girl professional therapy.

when the everloving hell
Episodes are ~8 minutes long.
The show airs on Fridays in Japanland, and you can watch it on Crunchyroll!

graybook fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
This was surprisingly really good. I mean I was expecting an entertaining first episode, but statue puns aside, it doesn't feel too reliant on its premise.

Everyone involved with this seem to be having fun.

Short-form anime continues to rule.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Main character's college hair was the best thing about the episode.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I feel like the main joke setup should've been something I found grating and tryhard, but it ended up feeling like a D-Frag level boke/tsukkomi kind of thing, so I'm pleased that I at least wasn't turned off of something I was quite looking forward to. Here's to seeing how poor Miki deals with these... ...guys.
And to seeing how that other idol chick (I think) interacts, human to non-human idol.

Also, the company president's statement about not being an agency for humans anymore makes me wonder: are there going to be other sculpture idol( group)s? Are there going to be like... animal idol groups? I fully welcome however ridiculous this is going to get.

EDIT: Apparently there's a post-episode chat segment.

...with the statues.

...and it's live action. And in Japanese, naturally.

graybook fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 8, 2016

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
They should have gotten Kamiya to play Medici.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

graybook posted:

Medici (voiced by Shinnosuke Tachibana)
I'm assuming this is Lorenzo de' Medici. Big sponsor of contemporary art, forger of peace of Italian states of his time, properly describable as a Renaissance man.
Innocent handsome boy of the group.
One of the first two busts. Not sure which.

Hermes (voiced by Jun Fukuyama)
Second-youngest Olympian god. Their messenger, a god of transitions and boundaries, linked to Mercury in the Roman version of the Greek pantheon.
Maximum talent and genius.
Could be the second bust, but also could be the first. I have no clue how to tell them apart yet.

Hermes is the first bust and Medici is the second. Medici has more of an youthful, effeminate look and bigger eyes, while Hermes has that brow ridge going, and a more rounded face overall.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Edited, thanks!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Can't wait for the R-18 doujins.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
S-E-K-K-O
B-O-Y-S

Sekko!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

wtf this sounds loving awesome. I'm gonna watch it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Main character's college hair was the best thing about the episode.

:yeah:
she was actually a pretty good painter

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Being able to claim that this idol group was assembled just because of their busts and have it be literal is the best thing about this anime.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

these guys are called the sekkō (plaster) boys, but the series details say they're made of stone??? Piece of poo poo anime can't make up its mind about its own drat premise

Also it's very good.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

lol at Medici needing a children's car seat because he's the smallest

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I think we can now assume that each of the members has their own place. This continues to be silly.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

:allears:

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i wish i had more substantial things to say about this show but it's really absurd and great

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The ED is really catchy is my main opinion. Show's entertaining too

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I really like the two episodes I've seen of this, and I fully expect to continue to enjoy it. It's silly.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

It's a pretty fun twist on the otherwise formulaic idol genre. Kind of like symphogear

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'It's creepy-cute!'

That was the best episode

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Still AOTY.

I continue to be confused at how the hell the statues move on their own.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

graybook posted:

Still AOTY.

I continue to be confused at how the hell the statues move on their own.

same
like dropping off Mars inside the lobby of his apartment building last ep made me laugh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My first thought was why were their managers screwing up their backs carrying them around if they can move anyway?
I guess maybe they can only move when you can't see them.....

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_stones

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Mars is best boy.

Was this the first time we actually saw one of them move on screen?

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Small detail, but I thought it was super cute that the person interviewing the Sekkou (in kana, せっこう) Boys was named Setsukou (in kana, せつこう, the same but with the small tsu replaced with a normal tsu) :3:

Theowulv posted:

Mars is best boy.

Was this the first time we actually saw one of them move on screen?

Did any of them move? I mean, there were effects over Mars, but that's it

Also, Hermes is best boy, sorry!

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Adelheid posted:

Also, Hermes is best boy, sorry!
We saw evidence that they were moving when they were in the cafe with Hermes getting cream over his face and Medici playing with straws, but all the actual movement happened off screen.
I think the Sekko Boys are basically those statue monsters from Doctor Who, they are perfectly capable of moving around, but can only do it when they are not being observed.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack

Adelheid posted:

At 5:54 of episode 5 Mars peeks his head from behind the seat. It could just be the car swerving a bit, but it definitely seemed like he moved to me.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I hope I don't get tired of the way they get decorated constantly.

Hermes with the messy eating was pure gold.

Also, oh god Mars's family is also statues

I want to meet more statues in this show.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
Mars' reaction to his family being disappointed by his performance was loving priceless. "Ma-kun?" *clunk*

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Really loving the continued inclusion of Mars and Hermes's family. Dionysus cracked me up real good.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

graybook posted:

Also, the company president's statement about not being an agency for humans anymore makes me wonder: are there going to be other sculpture idol( group)s? Are there going to be like... animal idol groups? I fully welcome however ridiculous this is going to get.

Well, this episode answered that question handily.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I caught up with this yesterday afternoon and liked it more than I thought I would. The length helps it quite a bit, it's pretty rare for a joke to be overdone or to overstay its welcome.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I feel like the last couple episodes were a bit busy, like the events didn't really get time to breathe. Hopefully they get back to a good pace.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Just when Ishimoto was on board again, somebody else disappears all of a sudden...

Edit:

Supersonic Shine fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 18, 2016

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Having paused after the first couple episodes, I'm catching up on this, and it's good and funny.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
lol, she took Medici along on the stakeout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The weirdest thing about this is that Hermes isn't just a bust.

• Locked thread