Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū (Showa and Genroku Era Lover's Suicide Through Rakugo)
Upon his release from prison, a man seeks out the famous comedic storyteller Yakumo after falling in love with his rendition of a story called “Shinigami.” Yakumo accepts the ex-convict as his apprentice, nicknaming him “Yotaro.” As Yotaro gets acclimated to his new life, he meets Konatsu, a girl in the care of Yakumo who wants to become a performer as well, but is unable to because she is a woman.

Official Site
Streaming on Crunchyroll
OP - Usura Hi Shinju
PV 1 PV 2 PV 3

Characters:

Yotaro
VA:Tomokazu Seki
Former thug. Touched by the Rakugo performed by Yakumo the 8th while he was serving his prison sentence, he immediately heads to see Yakumo after being released from prison and begged to become an apprentice. A naïve person with a side of him that doesn't know the world and is idiotic, Yakumo names him "Yotaro".

Yurakutei Yakumo
VA:Akira Ishida
Called "the last master of Showa", a Rakugo storyteller who has led a half-life full of suffering and now keeps to himself. Inherited the name Yurakutei Yakumo and is the eighth man to wield the name. Had not taken any apprentices until now, but accepts Yotaro who suddenly appeared before him.

Konatsu
VA:Yuu Kobayashi
A woman who is under Yakumo's roof due to a certain incident. Sukeroku's daughter. Strong-willed and short-tempered, but actually is very honest and straightforward. Loves her late father Sukeroku and his Rakugo from the bottom of her heart. Seems to have some sort of grudge against Yakumo..?

Sukeroku
VA:Koichi Yamadera
Konatsu's father. Led the post-WW2 Edo Rakugo industry together with Yakumo, and was a Rakugo storyteller dubbed "the extraordinary genius". His passion for Rakugo was stronger than anyone else, and was a hearty fellow in stark comparison to Yakumo. But, due to a certain incident, he passes away at a young age.

Matsuda
VA:Shigeru Ushiyama
Attendant serving Yakumo from the 7th wielder of the name. Gentle and mild-mannered, he is kind even to Yotaro who jumped into the world of Rakugo with no knowledge or experience.

Miyokichi
VA:Megumi Hayashibara
A mysterious woman who suddenly appeared before Yakumo and Sukeroku in their youth. Previously a geisha.

The show adapts the manga by Haruko Kumota, which received the "Best General Manga" prize at the 38th Kodansha Manga Awards, the Excellence Award at the 17th Japan Media Arts Festival Awards and was nominated for the 17th Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize. A 2-episode OAD was released with the manga as well.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
What is rakugo?

Rakugo: Japanese Sit-Down Comedy posted:

Rakugo can be best described as Japanese sit-down comedy of comic story telling. Just as there is stand-up comedy in the western countries, there is sit-down comedy in Japan. Most obviously, the difference is that the performer sits on his knees when he performs. It requires some training to sit like that for a long time without letting the legs fall in sleep. The performer wears traditional formal Japanese clothes (Kimono) and sometimes wears a pair of long wide pants (Hakama) and/or a formal jacket (Haori).

The performer is usually equipped with a fan (Sensu) and hand towel (Tenugui). These items help the performer express and act out the story. For example, the fan can be chopsticks, scissors, cigarettes, pipe, or pen. The towel could be a book, bills, or an actual towel. The performer sits on a small mattress, dressed in his Kimono and acts out the whole story by himself.

In Rakugo only the conversations between characters appear in the story. Therefore, the performer must be able play the role of each distinct character. There are always several characters in a Rakugo story. The performers play each character by changing voice, facial expression, mannerisms, speech, etc.. In most cases the characters have strong stereotypical personalities and characteristics so that as the performer switches from one character to another the audience readily detects the change. (source)

Rakugo and Japanese Culture posted:

To what American form might rakugo be compared? “Rakugo is like a sitcom with one person playing all the parts,” says Watanabe. “It is verbal art and a humorous entertainment at the same time. It’s not just a series of jokes, in discrete segments; it’s a continuous story. Rakugo is interesting because when you think about Japanese culture you don’t think about humor—and rakugo is all about humor.” (source)

Videos
Gonsuke's fish
圓生 雁風呂
圓生 双蝶々
志ん生 おかめ団子

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 12, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have no idea what it even covers tbh, so I'm gonna say no. I'm going to track it down and watch it though.
e: I don't think it's even subbed though, but possibly the show coming out will make someone interested enough to do it.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 9, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was really impressed by the rakugo shows in the first episode. You get pretty much an entire performance and then most of another (which probably account for the episode being ~50 minutes) and they were really entertaining. I can tell the VAs are putting a lot into this, but the gestures and mannerisms were well animated as well. I hope that keeps up for the rest of the show. It's not something I was very familiar with beforehand but as already stated you pick it up quickly.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

It is always going to be double length episodes or back to the usual 20-odd minutes next week?

I've been wondering that myself. Mostly I've only seen the first episode listed as double length, so it wouldn't surprise me if the rest were more standard, but that's just a guess because I haven't seen that info and I looked at a bunch of ANN and CR posts to find stuff to steal for the OP. Guess we'll find out next week!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dan7el posted:

I like the mystery behind the death of Konatsu's parents. Learning about that is something to look forward to as we see Yotaro develop his skills and craft regarding Rakugo.

Yeah I like that there's already been a good setup for a whole bunch of different stuff for the show to resolve. The present has Yotaro's growth as a performer and his developing relationships with Konatsu and Yakumo and how adding him to the mix shakes things up for them, then on top of that there's all the stuff that happened in the past and the truth about her parents' deaths. Also I love that Sukeroku is such a strong presence that even though he's only been talked about in the first episode and glimpsed briefly he's just as established as a character as any of the others already.

I don't know how much it's going to cover but the manga has 8 volumes so surely there's plenty of content for them to work with. Of course, this is a josei manga so none of it translated :v:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Crosspost from the season thread since it answers a question asked earlier here as well:

darkgray posted:

TV guides show it as being a 1h special for the opener, then regular 24m episodes the rest of the series (at least 12 eps).

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Maybe not exactly like standup as we'd be accustomed to it but something in the same neighborhood but more theatrical?

The rakugo wikipedia article says the monologues are comedic and complicated with dialogue from multiple characters. It's a pretty good overview (I assume it is anyway) and I'll add a link and maybe some quotes from it to that reserved second post sometime when I'm not phone posting.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 12, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I think the rest being regular length will make it a lot more approachable.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ok I did some half-assed research and found some non-wikipedia information and a few videos which are now in the 2nd post, enjoy.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The poor guy found out he was going to perform the day before, probably didn't get a wink of sleep that night, and was keyed up and nervous through his performance which you could actually see on the broadcast which I thought was pretty neat. Just being done with it was probably such an enormous relief that he couldn't help passing out, on top of being lulled by the story. I can understand being pissed at him for snoring during the performance but part of what that scene did for me was show the master in a pretty unflattering light because of the way he yanked Yotaro around then just ditched him.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's cool! I hope it does well. I'm going to watch the new ep when I get home this evening but I'm excited. I was already kinda wondering if Yakumo might have had a never-realized crush on Sukeroku just from the little glimpses in the first episode.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, my heart isn't ready :(

Second episode was great, it was over before I knew it. Really liked the tension the music created while Yakumo was dying on stage and Sukeroku's was really funny.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Haha yeah there is that. :v:

I had originally planned to do some write-ups on her other manga in that reserved post but never got around to it. However, I talked up Nobara in the dad manga thread and Itoshi no Nekkoke is a great slice of life that several people around the forum have recommended. I love her art style and how distinct it is, and she's really good at making her characters into distinct, realized people you want to care about.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 16, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
At the very least, just comparing the two Yakumo was incredibly stiff vs the animated and engaging Sukeruoku, and it was hard to distinguish his characters from each other. There were probably a ton of nuances there that I totally missed though, so having the music cue was pretty helpful. I thought his mannerisms were well done as well, his discomfort was very clear and it was a neat comparison to his performance in the first episode and how he owned the stage.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

While currently 43, I'll have you know that Tomokazu Seki is (still) moe AS poo poo, buddy!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
no idea I found it on tumblr

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Devil Tesla posted:

I'm pretty sure that this is a 'gay until proven straight' kind of show, in any case.

Considering the author of the source material, :agreed:

I'm still two episodes behind but the one-sided crush flags started flying really early imo.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

In Training posted:

I'm going to check this out since it seems neat and i have caught up on the other shows I meant to watch this season

It's good and I feel terrible that I've fallen so behind on it (and everything else this season)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The problem is more keeps coming out!
So much stuff I want to watch from this season and next season and I still have stuff leftover from last season I never got to :negative:
I need one of those actual bad seasons to happen so I can get caught up.

Anyway I have been reading a bunch of manga and can confirm that The Rain in Montecarlo is a really good one-shot and check this guy out

I love her soft squishy cute art like in Itoshi no Nekkoke but she can definitely do sexy as well. I also love her droopy older man faces :3:
Speaking of which, Itoshi no Nekkoke is getting pretty regular updates for volume 3 but I'm not sure they're on Batoto you might have to look elsewhere for them.

I also read You in the Window finally which is I believe is either her first or second compilation. The stories were mostly bittersweet or with somewhat unsatisfying/unresolved endings and a few hit or miss moments but it's a solid anthology.

Since the Rakugo manga isn't being translated go read Kumota's other stuff because it's really good! I'd love to see more of her works licensed, I'd buy the hell out of Itoshi no Nekkoke or Rakugo (or well any of them tbh) even if they were only digital like the ones that have already been picked up.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
FYI:

Looks like a scan group has finally picked this up as a project :toot:

• Locked thread