Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah hahaha why would those refs want to try and nip escalation in the bud during this game

I agree, they should have flagged the coach who had no business being on the field around the players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rad Valtar posted:

Except he was on the field checking on Antonio Brown who just had his head ripped off so yes he did have a reason.

Haha no he wasn't anywhere near him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rad Valtar posted:

They showed the whole review on the post game and he says something to the Bengels players as he's walking off the field behind Brown so ok. Doesn't matter since he had a right to be there and the Bengels players had no right to put their hands on an opposing coach. If they can't control themselves then they should be on the bench.

He went to start a confrontation. He had no right to do that and was looking to stir poo poo. Mission accomplished.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair it could just be Burlict feeling bad he almost murdered a dude.

That's what it was. He didn't think he did anything wrong and was trying to tell Brown "sorry" or whatever. Yeah, it's stupid of him, but that doesn't mean a coach from the other team can start poo poo with the players.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

chaoslord posted:

Pacman shouldn't have touched the coach, how is this a hard concept?

The coach has no business being on the field confronting players in the first place. How is this a hard concept?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They should have flagged the Steelers too, or not flagged anyone.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

v2vian man posted:

someone post what pacman did too

https://streamable.com/v94e

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Put his hands on a coach. That's a penalty.

Hahaha why the gently caress are Steelers fans trying to defend this call? It makes no loving sense.

If that's a penalty then two other Bengals shoulda been called for it. And it's not a penalty for a coach to be on the field? He has no business being there.

Are you going to defend the Shazier hit too?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

*outside linebackers coach wanders on to field to get in face of other team's players*

Whoa man I got shoved that's a penalty!!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

Charging in behind three refs in what is an obviously volatile situation is probably the dumbest loving thing you could do. This is not a hard thing to understand.

An assistant coach going on to the field to escalate the situation is the dumbest loving thing you can do.

Or not, because it worked.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

*retard corner tries to push through a trio of refs to get at said coach*

Whoa, why did I get penalized for that?

See, what you're not grasping is that the coach had zero business being there. If you're flagging the Bengals, then you flag the coach for being there too. Otherwise you don't call poo poo on either team.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

johnfw50 posted:

He was out there talking to the player whose brain had just been turned to mush. Burfict touched the star player he knocked out. Porter took exception to that and got surrounded. Stop being a loving moron

Hahaha no he wasn't.

First off, is he a trainer? What could he possibly do to help Brown?

Secondly, where is Brown in that scenario? I'll tell you where, getting walked off the field and nowhere near him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

What you're not grasping is that it really doesn't loving matter any despite how stupid you think it is because talking at people and touching people are different things.

The coach. Had no business. Being on the field.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Steelers fans trying to desperately justify any penalty after they got away with a blatant uncalled one, and got handed the game.

The Bengals are loving stupid too. The only penalty I disagree with is the last one because Porter was obviously starting poo poo, but it doesn't matter because they would have hit the FG anyway.

My point is the refs loving sucked and failed to control the game, and the Steelers will try to act like they were wronged when they were just as dirty as the Bengals.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

NickRoweFillea posted:

this but instead you should get extra points for knocking someones block off. thats right folks we are making blood bowl a reality

We need Mutant League Football

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be honest that shows that the NFL has No real way to handle these types of problems if they come up.

They should be able to review penalties, just like college does for targeting.

Like, they had to look at that play to see if it was a fumble. They obviously saw it was an illegal hit at that point, but they can't do anything because they didn't call it. Use replay for these things, and also eject players for them.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

YodaTFK posted:

Are people seriously arguing that the refs are responsible for knowing which assistant coach should be on the field for certain players getting injured because goddamn.

If they're on the field checking on the player that's fine. If they're out there cussing out and getting in the faces of the other team, that's a problem.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yes, it is a good idea for a ref to rank mean words and physical contact as equivalent penalties

A penalty for taunting is the same as a penalty for unnecessary roughness/facemask/etc.

So to the NFL, they are equivalent penalties.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

if jones didn't respond to porter, another player would have. it was an intentional laying of bait for someone to take. in that situation, i feel that offsetting unsportsmanlikes was the best way of defusing it

Yep, this is what I believe too.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Come on you know you are deliberately stretching things here now

taunting is a very specific penalty and isn't "mean words"

Yes or no, it's okay for an assistant coach to go on the field and confront the other team and start cursing them out?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

straight up brolic posted:

but tbh i agree that the fact that what pacman did and what burfict did are tantamount in the eyes of the NFL illuminates the fact that they don't take player safety seriously at all. if you want to eliminate hits like that, make a defenseless/leading with the crown of the helmet hit a full field penalty...i bet people wouldn't do it if it was.

It's really hard to believe Burfict wasn't thrown out for that hit. And yeah, the penalty for that being the same as Jones' is stupid.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If he had gone onto the field solely and expressly for the purpose of instigating a conflict, sure. But that is not what happened. As football zebras and others had said, he was allowed to be on the field, and he was tending to a player who was injured. He let emotions get the better of him and mouthed off as far as we can tell, but that series of events is far different from him heading out to the biggest group of bengals he could find to try and get someone to shove him, which seems to be what you are implying.

Regardless of why he went out there, he obviously at some point was not tending to the injured player and became an instigator.

So either flag both teams, or don't flag anyone and get the people where they're supposed to be.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ALFbrot posted:

Would you be more okay with it if it was a steelers trainer who pushed Burfict's hand away?

It was the trainer that did that, wasn't it? I thought he did, because he looked really pissed and he should have been.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Now I'm curious, does the NFL have specific rules in place for player/nonplayer interactions?

You'd think this would be a thing, but it's the NFL so :shrug:

From what I could find, Rule 13 article 8.

quote:

Article 8. Non-Player Personnel

Non-player personnel of a club (e.g., management personnel, coaches, trainers, equipment men) are prohibited from making unnecessary physical contact with or directing abusive, threatening, or insulting language or gestures at opponents, game officials, or representatives of the League.

http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2015-nfl-rulebook#rule-13.-non-player-conduct

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Schwack posted:

Where does that stop though? Once you open up semi-subjective calls to review you grind the game to a halt. Sometimes the wrong call is going to be made/missed. It sucks. Everyone has been on the poo poo end of it. It's lovely but I'm not sure there's any way to actually do anything about it.

There's nothing subjective about "did the player use the crowd of his helmet?" though. And most of the time, those sort of hits are resulting in an injury timeout regardless, so it's not slowing anything down.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

straight up brolic posted:

this was some weird proxy parallel universe of when steve nash got decked into the boards and the suns got all their good players banned and lost the series

That's a good comparison.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't know if you can eject a player until they actually do something ejection-worthy.

But the NFL should be able to say, look at how Burfict was acting and that it lead to that hit, and then tell the Bengals that the team failed to control the player, and suspend the coach/fine the team for that.

If you have coaches being suspended because they didn't take proper action in preventing that behavior, you'll see that clear up real quick.

Same thing with Tomlin too, really. His coaches getting into altercations with players? That's on him, he's suspended a game.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Destoration posted:

He was talking to them / probably telling them to calm their tits and not do anything stupid. But that hasn't worked for other teams in previous games. Coaches should know what players can't keep it together and bench them.

Right, I think it means benching them. Like OBJ should have been benched a few weeks ago and he wasn't.

Coaches are too valuable to lose for a game, while you can survive without players for one every now and again. If a coach is thinking that a guy might end up costing him a game, he'll bench him.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Brannock posted:

Tomlin got heavily fined for "interacting" with a player and it hasn't stopped him from brinkmanship for coaches getting too involved on the field

Right, that's why I think you need to suspend coaches and not fine them.

Like, holy poo poo, he had a coach grab a player by the hair and yank on it tonight. There's gotta be more than just a 15 yard penalty for that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

lmao Pacman Jones said on Dan Patrick's show that AB was faking being knocked out, and that he deserves a "Grammy"

Maybe he was singing when he was going down and it was a good song?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Lol, no. You and "codependent poster" come off as desperate, whiny babies, whereas everyone else is stupefied by how lovely and dumb Burfict and Jones acted.

You know I'm not a Bengals fan and the only thing I argued was that Porter should have gotten a penalty as well as Jones, or neither of them should have, right?

lol the Steelers had a bitchmade coach actually pull a guy's hair

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mughe posted:

I wish it were possible to get more games tacked into a suspension if you fail the appeal. A good ol' "gently caress you for even trying".

Bust a deal, spin the wheel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Goetta posted:

You are allowed to hit the receiver like Burfict did as long as you don't hit him in the head. I don't think I've heard anyone consider it a late hit.

No, the NFL recently even cracked down on the unnecessary hits to receivers who don't catch the ball. No matter where Burfict hit Brown, it would have been a penalty because he didn't have the ball and was defenseless.

• Locked thread