Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

well one of them did anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that second flag was the epitome of refs looking for any kind of escalation to put their feet down, no matter how minor

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

and like. i dont like the afc north at all, and i dont like pacman. but i just dont loving understand how you throw that second flag, it's irresponsible

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Auron posted:

Agreed, this is going on how many years that he can't control his loving animals?
uhhhh :shittypop:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah hahaha why would those refs want to try and nip escalation in the bud during this game
if that was escalation you'd have to call that any time players get up from a pile

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

berfict's hit looked pretty bad though, the only unfortunate thing is there was no replay angle that actually showed the point of impact but it did look like the helmets collided regardless

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

but uh if the bengals fire marvin lewis that would be great. please do that cincinatti. please fire him so that he can perhaps take a job immediately in another division, say the NFC East

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

did someone at least gif the pacman thing so we can zapruder it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i dont really have sympathy for the refs in that situation because if someone wanted to they could probably brush a bengals shoulder and flop to the ground and they'd throw a flag. they were looking for escalation

and they honestly didn't do a very good job of keeping the field properly segregated to allow that to happen in the first place, considering an injury had just occurred. they had nothing else to do except patrol and moderate and they failed

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

berfict touched brown's shoulder because he was showing his support having just done something stupid, unless you think he was so paralyzed with rage that he planned on doing uhh who was it that concussed trent green and then celebrated over his corpse. doing what that guy did

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the refs allowed that situation to escalate because they weren't doing their job moderating it

and then when they saw potential escalation they reacted by determining that it was an opportunity to show their theoretical control of the game

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

blablablabla posted:

You know when Tomlin stopped Jacoby from a sure TD he didnt get a penalty either? We had to settle for a FG. Lifes loving tough. Deal with it
yea yea yea sound tough now but i remember ravens fans when they lost to the undefeated patriots

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fsif posted:

They threw flags all game. I don't know what else they could have done to moderate it. I guess ejected Shazier?
i mean they should have flagged shazier but that's not what i'm sayin

in an injury timeout you have a billion officials (don't they have extra for the playoffs??) roaming around, that situation shouldn't have even come about. a personal foul just happened that took a player down, you know that steelers players are going to be upset about it, you know that bengals players are going to protest it, their responsibility in that situation is to keep both sides loving away from each other, but instead they let them mingle

i feel like that's a big gaffe on the refs part and to make it worse they chose not to issue dual unsportsmanlike penalties which is what you usually see when officials try to get control of a game. they instead waited for the right moment to make their move. I mean if jones doesn't run in there, maybe they flag Porter who also was not doing anything particularly egregious other than talking poo poo in a huddle of bengals players which he certainly should not be doing but is usually chalked up as 'general chippiness'. that would also be irresponsible and would significantly impact the field goal try

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 10, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

these are some grown-rear end men, the refs aren't babysitters
it's not about babysitting, it's about understanding the situation. a player was just headhunted. in baseball, the umpire issues warnings to both dugouts to prevent them from storming the field. in football, with a player down and being attended to, you have a lot of players from both teams mingling on the field, who are both sore and emotionally high about what just happened. the refs needed to keep the teams by their respective sidelines, IMMEDIATELY after the injury timeout

then if you see a steelers coach going over to the bengals sideline and harassing the players, it's a lot more, well, way out of the way, way too obvious, and you maybe call a sideline warning against the steelers (although the first warning is not an enforced penalty)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

straight up brolic posted:

tbf this isn't true. the warnings to the dugouts are to say that the next hit batter will be an ejection
but i mean i have NEVER seen a bench clear when the umpire warned both dugouts, like yea you're right, it's telling the managers not to continue headhunting, but i'm pretty sure if any player were to step out of the dugout while the umpire is issuing his warning, he'd be thrown out for sure

of course sometimes you get the benches clearing regardless but naturally that does lead to ejections and suspensions!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean you could eject guys but then you will fall into the same thing "The refs were biased and screwed us by throwing out so and so for just shoving a guy when shoves happen all the time etc etc"
Offsetting penalties between Jones and Porter would have left neither team or fanbase happy but it would have defused the situation and gotten the focus back on the game, instead of having a call that makes a huge impact on the FG try

actually never mind the FG try, without that additional penalty there's a chance pittsburgh runs another play first before the FG try, and all sorts of crazy outcomes could spring from that

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah, charles is right, I mean look at the OBJ vs Josh Norman situation. Yeah OBJ was penalized after the game, but that's another example of what I'm talking about. It was happening again and again that the refs should have known the situation. They knew it was going to keep happening and it did keep happening. The only proper thing to do in that game was eject one or both of the players, and instead they just kept letting it happen and flagging it. It was loving brutal to watch

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yes, it is a good idea for a ref to rank mean words and physical contact as equivalent penalties
neither jones or porter was more egregious than the other, as a neutral observer.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if jones didn't respond to porter, another player would have. it was an intentional laying of bait for someone to take, in a SEA of bengals players. in that situation, i feel that offsetting unsportsmanlikes was the best way of defusing it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Giodo! posted:

If all we're going by is what we see in that clip and nothing that happened before, I don't see porter even open his mouth or get in anyone's face.
it's not a very good angle, it crops out half of the scene

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Frackie Robinson posted:

The NFL probably needs to get a lot less bashful about ejecting players, that will get some of them to work on their decision making pretty quick. The NCAA's targeting rule is stupid, but only because it doesn't allow for any subjectivity. The heart of it, that ejection is by far a more effective deterrent than anything else, is sound.
No kidding. I know that they're squeamish because such ejections can impact entire games, but it seems like it would only take one in a game to calm both sides out for the remainder.

by the way, what I really didn't like about what burfict did is the fact that he knew brown didn't complete the pass, and he threw his elbow out in the process of making his hit. Like, he made his move to make the hit, knowing full well that the catch was incomplete and the player was defenseless. i mean it's a lot faster in real time speed but he knew.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Obviously Cincy made their own bed, but Porter shouldn't be instigating conflict. Opposing players pat each other all the time; we see it nearly every dead ball. Coaches don't get to cross that line, especially when Burfict's initial conflict was just a pat on the back.
also, that Porter reacted to Burfict that way is exactly what I'm talking about with the high level of emotion. any observer from beyond the sidelines would know burfict was making a gesture of apology/condolence, but on the field it was seen as hostile. that's why, again, i say the refs need to know what the state of emotions are on the field, and keep bengals players away from brown, keep steelers players away from the bengals, and let the coaches/trainers work on brown and get him off the field

people are reacting to me like i'm saying they should babysit or that i'm treating the players like kids. i'm treating them like a group of people that just saw one of their own get their head taken off, and another group of people who just saw a personal foul wipe out an incomplete pass and potentially cost them the game. they were all pissed off!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 10, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

leave it to pacman jones though to whiff on his intended target

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also leave it to joey porter for making his first memorable highlight in pittsburgh since punching willie green

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ALFbrot posted:

If the solution goes as far as banning AFCN teams from the postseason, that's probably OK
finally you're speaking my language

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Destoration posted:

Especially since the coaches don't seem to care about settling players down. The OBJ losing his loving mind game and then this one? Seriously just weeks after that horrible giants game that had no real control on players during the game this poo poo happens yet again.

Does someone need to get actually killed on field for somebody to step up and take action? :lol:
i know! this poo poo's gonna end up happening in the super bowl or something and we're gonna have to hear phil simms and jim nantz jerk off again

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if marvin comes to philly he wont have to worry about burfict or pacman again. plus his only competition would be apparently the washington redskins

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

(i'm glad that runyan dawkins and trotter are retired so that i cant be made a hypocrite!!!)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

was it mentioned yet that joey porter got fined

quote:

@AdamSchefter
Steelers assistant coach Joey Porter will be fined for coming on to field Saturday night and engaging Bengals players, per a source.

at least that's some acknowledgement from the nfl that the officials hosed up

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it would have to be thirty trillion dollars because nobody respects fines

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Blarfk posted:

No they didn't. You can get fined without there having to have been a penalty called against you.
so he's getting fined for doing nothing wrong, i see, i see

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Maybe it's just because I don't follow other sports enough but is there any sport in the world other than football where the refs and the league admit more mistakes after the fact and do the weakest baby poo poo to "apologize" for them
baseball is worse; they never admit mistakes

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

like that gallaraga perfect game that was blown by a bad call at first base. baseball's response was "nah, we're right"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BrownThunder posted:

Playoff Posters are really noticeable this season
favorite post of the thread is still bizarre racism out of nowhere http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759479&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post454798380

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

adam jones is dumb. if antonio brown was cleared already it's not because he was faking a concussion but because the steelers like all NFL teams are exercising whatever loophole they can find in the concussion protocol to get him back on the field to play regardless of his health

we all know this

i like the idea that AB winked at him on the way to the ground, like time slowed down like a michael bay movie

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the things that cheese me off about officiating going into next season:

- inability for HCs to get officials' attentions for timeouts

- egregious offsides calls on onside kicks

- not adopting NCAA's targeting rule

- "TD wins in overtime no matter what" is still lame to me

- ATC spotters failing to recognize obvious concussions on players and buzzing down to stop the game (Case Keenum for example)

- the ejection/suspension stuff we talked about earlier

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

joey porter's hosed everyone's mother, he's like speedy gonzalez

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

porter's punishment already was decided, he was fined

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hitting big ben probably does trigger incentive clauses in some contracts and if not it should, imo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

imagine if the NFL allowed legal bounties as long as the bounty involved big ben

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

beacuse thanks to nfl game rewind and internet gifs you can go back and look at the hits

• Locked thread